Any long-lasting alternative power source?

jko

If you choose to go with external/portable batteries, make sure it has the correct adaptor plug for your laptop & it has a capacity rating of 18,000 mAh or higher.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you choose to go with external/portable batteries, make sure it has the correct adaptor plug for your laptop & it has a capacity rating of 18,000 mAh or higher.

???huh.png ???

the problem with real green energy is that its generation is real time consuming. my bet, as far as the future is concerned, is on photovoltaic energy generation. prices have come down considerably and will come down much more with exponentially higher production and perhaps additional technology to increase efficiency.

maybe some of you have also good idea's, they are much appreciated...

alas, power hogs like me won't have a chance to benefit. for us it's grid supply or fuel burning generators if the grid is insufficient or unreliable.

I see what you mean. It only really makes sense over the long run.

The prices have come down but still require substantial initial costs. It's interesting what they consider small and large system.coffee1.gif

post-155923-0-57099600-1399261384_thumb.

Edited by Morakot

One new interesting way to improve battery technology. I don't really understand how that works, but the ideas of having a batteries, which last for several years of even decades sounds very good.

'Double-duty' Electrolyte Enables New Chemistry for Longer-lived Batteries

Published on:

24th Apr 2014

By: Ian Mansfield

Researchers at the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory have developed a new and unconventional battery chemistry aimed at producing batteries that last longer than previously thought possible.

http://cellular-news.com/story/65580.php

• 2 weeks later...

My goodness there is lot of jargon in this post.

Can any one just please tell me what I need to buy to keep a laptop going for Max 4 hours when the power goes out. Can I just buy something to do this or do I have to go make it myself?

If so then what please?

Many thanks .

Can any one just please tell me what I need to buy to keep a laptop going for Max 4 hours when the power goes out. Can I just buy something to do this or do I have to go make it myself?

If so then what please?

Many thanks .

Was interested in this too. Seems a lot of overly complicated solutions to me just to power a laptop. A couple of things I saw:

There are now portable chargers you can get like the ones for smartphones etc. I already have a power rock for that so figured there'd be something similar for laptops, e.g

For more general power - not just laptops this type of thing could be useful now rainy season is coming along and with it occasional power outages:

http://www.duracelldirect.com/part_852-1950-07.aspx

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

If so then what please?

Many thanks .

Yep, jargon, but jargon what does make sense seen the OP's question...

@thequietman, you'll need an UPS ( =Battery+charger+inverter in one ) The unit automatically switches to battery if the power is cut of.

If your laptop battery is full, then you'll only need a small model to get the 4 hours

If battery is empty, you'll need a bit bigger. ( its not the power per hour that counts but the size of the battery that makes the lasting time )

You also can take a small one and replace the battery by a bigger one.

There is also the possibility to DIY; buy a battery, charger and inverter