Do I need a heart check up?

davidst01

As someone with an manageable angina pectoris I don't think you should panic or run

to see the doc, keep monitoring your pains and felling's and if similar occurrences are

repeating them selves go see a doc but be prepare to under go myriad of tests some of

them not so necessary, in any case, keep some 500 mg powdered aspirin with you and

if you feel something is terribly wrong that drink that powder and check yourself to a hospital

ASAP....

Ezzra I always like your comments on TV but your advice to the OP here is no good. Angina pectoris is a completely different issue to the OPs. There are many different things that can go wrong with the heart Your angina problem is about getting blood and oxygen to the heart muscle itself, The OPs indicated heart problems are structural and quite possibly very dangerous. Having pain and taking aspirin with his problem might be very serious. We just do not know. I have been taking 100mg of asprin a day for 25 years but I'd leave it to a cardiac expert to advise the OP. We might kill him. From an ex-nurse.

• Like 2

Forget an opinion from anyone with 'medical knowledge', unless they really do know what they are talking about. But the slight pain might, or might not, be heart. Common sense says have it checked. And the diastolic number is normally expected to be around 80; hence, 60 is low.

It is always wise to seek a check up for such a thing. The consequences of being wrong are quite unlike other parts of life. The findings you describe are not necessarily remarkable and can be found in many people, say, in their 60's and up. Diastole is the second number, the heart pressure exerted at rest. Generally, your systole and diastole are excellent- for a young man! However, it is necessary to exert a sufficient diastolic pressure to ensure proper perfusion of gases in the lung. 60 is kinda low unless remarkably fit. The pulmonary vessel system- lung heart heart lung- are intimately connected to the systemic heart functioning.

The valves prevent regurgitation and ensure full emptying from atria to ventricle, etc. prolapse has at times reduced stroke volume- CO- output. Some valvular problems are congenital and only noted later in life. If your symptomatic is key. Enough. I think you should consider whether the echo was sufficient and consider a local stress/eval. I would. (A web forum is a dangerous place from which to discern medical choices. If you have the drive to ask the question, that should suffice as the answer- yes!)

Just out of curiosity would you NOT need data from a cardiac cath to get the accurate internal pressures you are likely thinking about?

Is echocardiogram not a gold standard for evaluating cardiac valves? internship 101

you mentioned regurgitation. dont you deem it important to not omit stenosis?

i never liked cardiology

You are correct on all counts. Basically, not enough is known about the patient, the tests previously, and the results. Stenosis? I guess I presumed the Pt was a male without double checking, and while possible, less likely. Valvular issues have a primary mANifestaion of incomplete filling/voiding. Your points confirm why NancyL was spot on- get it checked out.

The OP seems to be male as name is david and nothing in post suggests otherwise.

As much as posters try to help i would take it with a grain of salt since we never know for sure which posts are written intentionally as bait to raise health concerns and prompt some to visit medical facilities affiliated with sponsoring forums (advertisers)

Additionally it seems some helpful posters comments may be written by writers that peroused medical webpages trying to put together an official sounding paragraph or 2 however fail to compose it in a medically succinct accurate way. some mods post very useful information, not only medically succinct but well written to the level of someone having bonafide medical expertise, or at least having been provided with a content outline.

Its perused, not "peroused," and I have been seeing patients for nearly 30 years! I have reviewed all my posts on this OP and the undeniable imperative is evident- see a doctor!

Any cursory review of my posts would evidence I don't have the same construction problem as you.

(Only a fool would cut and paste and not cite sources).

As someone with an manageable angina pectoris I don't think you should panic or run

to see the doc, keep monitoring your pains and felling's and if similar occurrences are

repeating them selves go see a doc but be prepare to under go myriad of tests some of

them not so necessary, in any case, keep some 500 mg powdered aspirin with you and

if you feel something is terribly wrong that drink that powder and check yourself to a hospital

ASAP....

Ezzra I always like your comments on TV but your advice to the OP here is no good. Angina pectoris is a completely different issue to the OPs. There are many different things that can go wrong with the heart Your angina problem is about getting blood and oxygen to the heart muscle itself, The OPs indicated heart problems are structural and quite possibly very dangerous. Having pain and taking aspirin with his problem might be very serious. We just do not know. I have been taking 100mg of asprin a day for 25 years but I'd leave it to a cardiac expert to advise the OP. We might kill him. From an ex-nurse.

It is possible the OP symptoms are not due to the MVP he knows about but related to angina. without a workup and definitive dx you really cant say. No doubt mvp is also not an uncommon incidental finding in those with angina.

arjunadawn

"Its perused, not "peroused," and I have been seeing patients for nearly 30 years! I have reviewed all my posts on this OP and the undeniable imperative is evident- see a doctor!

Any cursory review of my posts would evidence I don't have the same construction problem as you.

(Only a fool would cut and paste and not cite sources)."

Thanks for correcting my typo.

I wasnt necessarily referring to you and your posts. It was no in no way a personal attack.

It seems you even told me I was correct on all counts from a prior post.

Kindly elaborate on my "construction problem" as I welcome critique as it offers a way for improvement.

I wish to improve and correct myself.

PS; system would not let me include all prior quotes.

Edited by atyclb

120/60 is good - nothing wrong with that.

i beg to differ. being a heart patient i know there is something wrong when the differential between systolic and diastolic pressure is higher than 40. the difference of 60 clearly indicates valve regurgitation (leaky valves).

• Like 1

120/60 is good - nothing wrong with that.

i beg to differ. being a heart patient i know there is something wrong when the differential between systolic and diastolic pressure is higher than 40. the difference of 60 clearly indicates valve regurgitation (leaky valves).

:-) Good observation!

"...it is necessary to exert a sufficient diastolic pressure to ensure proper perfusion of gases in the lung. 60 is kinda low unless remarkably fit. The pulmonary vessel system- lung heart heart lung- are intimately connected to the systemic heart functioning.

The valves prevent regurgitation and ensure full emptying from atria to ventricle, etc. prolapse has at times reduced stroke volume- CO- output."

As an soi walker rather than jogger or health club eye candy shopper I also feared that machine and find it extremely stressful. Mainly that it was uphill rather than flat surface really makes a big difference. But the idea is not how long you can perform but get your heartbeat into target area so you really do not have to be in much physical shape. But it is good if you can keep the feet apart and the pants up. rolleyes.gif

Believe they get a lot of there information during the cooling down period when you are just sitting on couch.

You're right lopburi3, they're aiming for a target heart rate when they do a stress test and most of the data is collected once you lay down afterwards and they quickly do an echocardiogram.

However, I'm on a BP med specifically to keep my resting heart rate low -- in the low 50s. That means I have to put up with that blasted stress test in excess of 12 minutes to get to the target heart rate, at which point the slope is so high, I'm hanging on for dear life. In fact, some years, I've just had to cry Uncle and call off the test before I reach the target heart rate because I can't get enough air into my lungs. I think that's part of the year-to-year comparison -- how long I'll go on that blasted treadmill before I flat out refuse to go any further.

I must say, a stress test is much more pleasant here than in the U.S. The pretty little Thai technicians smile and say encouraging things -- absolutely no laughing at the sight of the large white water buffalo running on the treadmill. They actually claim they can't run that long on the treadmill (yeah, right!) The cardiologist magically shows up at about 8 minutes into the run and just about waves the pom-poms for me to get those last four or five minutes done to get the heart rate up to the target level. In the U.S., the technicians seemed rather bored and I felt like no one would break my fall if I got thrown off the back of the treadmill.