Flying from Thailand to UK, without credit card used to buy flight

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Etihad started asking for the card some time ago but hasn't done so in the last several months.

However, they did stipulate that a photocopy of both sides of the card would be OK with the security digits on the reverse (front for Amex) blacked out - it was on their on-line booking process.

But haven't checked recently.....

I'll look into the visa travel cards but might not have enough time to get them approved, mailed out to me, and then mail one of them to Thailand (she travels in 3 or 4 weeks).

I'll photocopy front and back of my credit card, verify and sign it. I'll also take a picture of both sides and send her the photo which she can store on her phone and show them if required.

I'll also photocopy the main page from my passport, and sign. I can also write a cover letter explaining all this. She may also have a lot of the visa application supporting documents with her (assuming the visa office return them when she picks up her visa), so that should help a lot also.

Done this MANY times with hubby booking tickets for small one and I to fly.

Just take a photocopy of card used to book ticket ( middle numbers and security code obscured) and a letter authourisation from the card holder with booking ref, flight numbers, passenger names and your signature. We also included hubbys phone number in case they wanted to check with him in person ( this has never happened for us but its good to have it just in case) If she does get asked for the card used then she can show the letters at the desk and there shouldn't be a problem.

We have only been asked to produce documentation in about 10% of our trips, but always carry them just in case.

Good luck

If your GF wants to fly TG directly as most thais do then just buy the ticket through an agent online or offline.

Do not buy directly at TG website as they will always want to see the CC at check-in. And it even has to be the same name as the passenger.

suggest you ask airline their requirements

This is got to be the silliest question I have ever read on this forum..... What The writer is asking about is done all the time.... Fathers buying daughters and sons e tickets Companies sending employees e tickets. That is what e tickets are all about. Convenience not hassel like the OP is over thinking.

poweratradio, I hope you're right about that. I probably am overthinking it, but I've flown often times to expect the unexpected. I just can't trust them. Your experience at a check-in desk can vary a lot depending on who you talk to, and what kind of day they're having. Never underestimate people's capacity for incompetence. wink.png

All the above posts mention Credit Cards but the same requirements apply to Debit Cards. Many on-line ticket purchase sites request Credit Card info as do many hotel booking sites implying that only CCs can be used when, in fact, many Debit Cards, particularly VISA based work just fine and so they should because they creditor gets their cash quicker.

Just been checking on some airlines - China Airlines is a no go - they absolutely insist on the credit card holder being present. KLM mention what happens when you book the ticket at one of their offices (in that case, you have to visit their office and verify the CC in person, before the flight) but don't mention what happens if you use a 3rd party or book it online. That's what I want to know. I've tried calling them (have 2 different numbers for customer service) and the numbers are invalid. Typical bah.gif

Does anyone know a working phone number for KLM customer service?

For the person who think this is a silly question. ...not. if the one time u do get stuck. I also have never heard of virtual credit cards or double credit cards to top off...or many of the other things mentioned here. ..not all of us r sophisticated travelers or live in a country that has these options...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thats what i already posted always problems with credit cards don't use them

Crazy sentiments-so you allways carry a bulging wallet around with you then-plus if something goes wrong with the airline/agent the CC company is liable-it,s a no-brainer to have the use of a CC thumbsup.gif

Peter, you have to use credit cards because you're protected against airline problems. There is no protection with debit cards. Big risk !

Wrong billy-a Visa debit card has the same safeguards as a credit card thumbsup.gif

suggest you ask airline their requirements

This is got to be the silliest question I have ever read on this forum..... What The writer is asking about is done all the time.... Fathers buying daughters and sons e tickets Companies sending employees e tickets. That is what e tickets are all about. Convenience not hassel like the OP is over thinking.

You don't appear to know everything - see post #16 then reconsider whether the OP is asking a silly question.

TG, you must download the credit card consent form, sign and scan it to them with a copy of the card and the some ID. We did this in March, they still did have some kind of hold up (probably lost it as mentioned by the courier guy) and we cleared it up over the phone, I think they just happened to find it while we were on the phone (the TG agent on my gf phone to me on my cell).

Wrong billy-a Visa debit card has the same safeguards as a credit card thumbsup.gif

Not quite. Not a UK card anyway. The protection on a Visa debit card is similar that on a credit card but is only voluntary. The protection on a credit card is a legal right that the card issuer cannot decline.

I always buy my tickets online (usually UK sites) and I always use my UK credit card and I always get e-tickets. No one has ever asked to see my card but of course the name on the card used has always been my name anyway. Maybe they are aware of this at the airport and so see no need to check.

I've noticed that some ticketing sites have an option for specifying that the card holder will not be travelling.

When you are traveling on your own credit card, there is no issue. The OP was was describing a situation when a traveller is flying on another persons credit card and that person is not present at check-in.

I know. Hence the second comment I made.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

don't you trust her with the Money to buy her own tkt.

I've got no issue with sending her money to buy her own ticket, but I'm convinced it will cost a fortune in a Thai travel agents compared to the deal I get online via Skyscanner.

I say convinced because I haven't yet been able to get a quote yet from various Thai travel agencies I've found online. Ones I've tried have either had faulty flight search functions, return no results, or they only operate with airlines I've got no intention of using (Thai, BA, etc)

If anyone can recommend a Thai travel agency who will quote me a price on a KLM flight to the UK, I will definitely look at it.

With less than 4 weeks to go, the OP is unlikely to get any huge, last-minute breaks on airfares. The OP has mentioned KL as a possible carrier. I use them a lot, always purchasing the tickets direct from their website and never being asked to show any plastic for any flights. Up until last year, their r/t tickets were cheaper when bought via their UK website. I last used them less than 2 months ago and their prices ex- Bangkok (using their Thai website) were virtually identical. Their website has a handy fare comparison graphic similar to skyscanner so top wasting time with skyscanner or the likes and just get the ticket on KLM's Thai website then you can cross that off the to-do list and focus on other preparations for her visit.

PS, I use matrix.itasoftware.com to do my flight fare comparisons then book direct.

Edited by NanLaew

Depending on how long the OP has until his girlfriend flies over, he may want to explore the many Visa and Master Card travel cards where one can have a pair of cards issued, one in the OP's name and the other in his partners name. They will have different 16-digit numbers, security codes and PIN numbers but are linked on a single account that the OP solely has online access to. He sends the partners card to a secure address in Thailand and when the time comes to make the booking, he goes online and tops up the card with the amount needed for the air ticket (plus a little extra for exchange rates). Then he goes and makes his girlfriends online air booking using HER name and HER credit card. Then she will have no issues at the airport.

I did this many years ago with my wife where we had a pair of PayPal Debit MasterCards from the US for individual use with me controlling the funds in the account. When we started traveling a lot but separately and meeting overseas, we got a pair of Caxton fx Visa credit cards from the UK which work the same way but avoid the restrictions that some carriers, car rentals and hotels have on debit card use. She mostly makes her own bookings now.

I've been looking into these travel cards you can top up. So far, the ones I've seen insist on the 2nd cardholder being resident at the 1st cardholder's registered address. Hope they don't all have this policy. I'll keep looking.

With less than 4 weeks to go, the OP is unlikely to get any huge, last-minute breaks on airfares. The OP has mentioned KL as a possible carrier. I use them a lot, always purchasing the tickets direct from their website and never being asked to show any plastic for any flights. Up until last year, their r/t tickets were cheaper when bought via their UK website. I last used them less than 2 months ago and their prices ex- Bangkok (using their Thai website) were virtually identical. Their website has a handy fare comparison graphic similar to skyscanner so top wasting time with skyscanner or the likes and just get the ticket on KLM's Thai website then you can cross that off the to-do list and focus on other preparations for her visit.

I thought I would check for a return flight next month.

KLM come in at almost exactly the same price both in THB (36485) on their own site and in GBP (660) via Skyscanner and a UK ticketing agent, so the only real difference would be the probable extra charge of about 2-3% for exchange weighting that most card issuers apply. This could amount to GBP20 though.

I checked Emirates and got THB 32830 on their site and GBP600 booked in the UK via a UK agent, so the same story there and about the same saving on credit card exchange rate charges.

But for SriLankan I got THB 30315 and GBP 540 respectively (long wait in airport in one direction), which gives a better percentage saving if paying with a UK card.

For my own BKK>LHR>BKK flight coming up soon I paid GBP1300 (business class) via a UK ticketing agent but the same ticket direct from the airline would have cost me nearly GBP100 more by the time the exchange rate weighting for THB was added in, so I'm happy to save that.

My wife tried to fly to Australia from Suvarnabhum with an e-ticket that I bought online in Australia from Thai Airways.

They insisted that she could not fly without showing the credit card that was used to buy the ticket.

Luckily she was able to borrow the cash from a friend and didn't miss her flight.

They reimbursed the cost of the e-ticket a week or two later.

I've been asked for my credit card on every flight I've had with Thai Airways over the past 2 years when I've presented an e-ticket.

No credit card - no check-in possible, apparently.

I've traveled Australia to & from Thailand over 20 times in past 6 years, 4 times in past 12 months, all with Thai Airlines. All with e-ticket. Not once have been asked to produce credit card.

Wonder why only relevant to some travelers ? Don't take offence, but, how were you dressed ? It's about time there was a dress code for international travel. Many on Thai Air wouldn't be permitted on a local council bus back at home.

Oh... I can hear the protests already. Don't bother... I have very thick skin.

Mal.

My wife tried to fly to Australia from Suvarnabhum with an e-ticket that I bought online in Australia from Thai Airways.

They insisted that she could not fly without showing the credit card that was used to buy the ticket.

Luckily she was able to borrow the cash from a friend and didn't miss her flight.

They reimbursed the cost of the e-ticket a week or two later.

I've been asked for my credit card on every flight I've had with Thai Airways over the past 2 years when I've presented an e-ticket.

No credit card - no check-in possible, apparently.

I've traveled Australia to & from Thailand over 20 times in past 6 years, 4 times in past 12 months, all with Thai Airlines. All with e-ticket. Not once have been asked to produce credit card.

Wonder why only relevant to some travelers ? Don't take offence, but, how were you dressed ? It's about time there was a dress code for international travel. Many on Thai Air wouldn't be permitted on a local council bus back at home.

Oh... I can hear the protests already. Don't bother... I have very thick skin.

Mal.

It's not about thick skin - it is just about "thick" smile.png

I take it you use a webcam to convey your dress code when you are buying online ?

(Nice font....... very dapper....)

Edited by Jip99

The easiest way is to book via an online agency such as expedia. When booking directly with -especially Asian- airlines (e.g. Cathay Pacific) they may require you to show your credit card, ID and booking reference at one of their offices.

Depending on how long the OP has until his girlfriend flies over, he may want to explore the many Visa and Master Card travel cards where one can have a pair of cards issued, one in the OP's name and the other in his partners name. They will have different 16-digit numbers, security codes and PIN numbers but are linked on a single account that the OP solely has online access to. He sends the partners card to a secure address in Thailand and when the time comes to make the booking, he goes online and tops up the card with the amount needed for the air ticket (plus a little extra for exchange rates). Then he goes and makes his girlfriends online air booking using HER name and HER credit card. Then she will have no issues at the airport.

I did this many years ago with my wife where we had a pair of PayPal Debit MasterCards from the US for individual use with me controlling the funds in the account. When we started traveling a lot but separately and meeting overseas, we got a pair of Caxton fx Visa credit cards from the UK which work the same way but avoid the restrictions that some carriers, car rentals and hotels have on debit card use. She mostly makes her own bookings now.

I've been looking into these travel cards you can top up. So far, the ones I've seen insist on the 2nd cardholder being resident at the 1st cardholder's registered address. Hope they don't all have this policy. I'll keep looking.

Well that is standard; they are issued by UK banks and companies and neither of them is going to send a card to someone in Thailand. You get both cards sent to YOUR address and then send hers on via whatever you reckon is the most secure method depending on where she lives in LOS.

My wife's cards have the same US and UK mailing address as I do but we BOTH live (mostly) in Thailand. Look at it this way, your girlfriend will be staying at your address when she gets here won't she?

Stop over-thinking these issues.

Edited by NanLaew

Post containing flame and written in unusual font removed.

Thai Visa Rules

7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

Thai Visa Netiquette]

Some general guidelines for posting:

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colours. It can be difficult to read.