FedEx a word to the wise!

Jumping through more hoops with FedEx.

Apparently they have a limit from customs of 40,000 baht per shipment. so if shipment is over 40,000 they cannot act as customs agents and the package has to go to Thai Customs. To process the shipment FedEx need one to register with them for "paperless" etc. which takes a week.

Even though we have "paperless' with another freight forwarder.

Just a cautionary note in case one is contemplating using FedEx for something over 40,000 baht.

Once we were vain in vain for a parcel that should have arrived days ago only to be

told by the brainiacs t FedEx the parcel arrived days ago but no one came to pay

the tax... Duh.. and no one thought about informing us seeing no one comes seeing

they charge like a wounded bull for their service...

Once we were vain in vain for a parcel that should have arrived days ago only to be

told by the brainiacs t FedEx the parcel arrived days ago but no one came to pay

the tax... Duh.. and no one thought about informing us seeing no one comes seeing

You were lucky! They used to do this trick and then charge you storage for the number of days you did not collect the parcel you were not informed about. Nowadays YOU are supposed to check their online parcel tracking system so that you know exactly where the shipment is at all times and when it arrives ready for clearance.

My experience with fedex was great to send boxes from Thailand to Australia.

HOWEVER

One time i decided to send iphone from Australia to Thailand.

Declared valuue $800, clearly written iphone.

The deadbeat in Fedex Thailand, who does international parcels can not read English and reads $800 as $5800, you can imagine what happened after that.facepalm.gif

Luckily i had Fedex account, contacted my account manager, let him have it and was refunded the cost of shipping, all fees covered and further compensation

From my experience, you do not WANT FedEx to do the custom clearance for you.

They will mess it up terribly, causing much aggravation for you and months may pass (with you liable for the storage charges in the interim) and you may in the end still have to give up and go to customs and deal with it yourself.

Especially -- but not only -- if the item is in any way unusual or hard for them to understand/not readily recognized and categorized by customs.

Even if you fare better than I ever have, at a minimum the duty will be much higher than it would have been otherwise.

• Like 2

From my experience, you do not WANT FedEx to do the custom clearance for you.

They will mess it up terribly, causing much aggravation for you and months may pass (with you liable for the storage charges in the interim) and you may in the end still have to give up and go to customs and deal with it yourself.

Especially -- but not only -- if the item is in any way unusual or hard for them to understand/not readily recognized and categorized by customs.

Even if you fare better than I ever have, at a minimum the duty will be much higher than it would have been otherwise.

FedEx is an integrator, like UPS or DHL. This means they have a special agreement that their shipments go through passenger customs in a big bag, and they pay a flat rate for import duties. However, this is only up to a certain value of the goods, and after that, a standard customs clearance has to be done.

A standard customs clearance seems to mess up their system. Our customers, when receiving small shipments through the integrators, often ask us to the customs clearance for them.

My experience with fedex was great to send boxes from Thailand to Australia.

HOWEVER

One time i decided to send iphone from Australia to Thailand.

Declared valuue $800, clearly written iphone.

The deadbeat in Fedex Thailand, who does international parcels can not read English and reads $800 as $5800, you can imagine what happened after that.facepalm.gif

Luckily i had Fedex account, contacted my account manager, let him have it and was refunded the cost of shipping, all fees covered and further compensation

What you are saying is that they made a mistake (can happen in every company) and they lived up to it and refunded more than the actual damage amount. I'd say that's commendable.

You were lucky! They used to do this trick and then charge you storage for the number of days you did not collect the parcel you were not informed about. Nowadays YOU are supposed to check their online parcel tracking system so that you know exactly where the shipment is at all times and when it arrives ready for clearance.

Not sure what you are saying. Of course the sender will give you the tracking number and I wonder why you did not visit FedEx'es website to follow the shipment. Where you not interested in receiving your goods?

Of course you, as the recipient, are responsible for the airport storage charges, that's normal in international business. Hence, I do not understand why yo did not tack the shipment.

Yes. Some years ago, they called to inform me that I needed to collect the package that was awaiting me, because it was costing me more each day that they held it ... a week after they had actually taken delivery of it in Bangkok.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure what you are saying. Of course the sender will give you the tracking number and I wonder why you did not visit FedEx'es website to follow the shipment. Where you not interested in receiving your goods?

Of course you, as the recipient, are responsible for the airport storage charges, that's normal in international business. Hence, I do not understand why yo did not tack the shipment.

Could it be possible, that the tracking system is there to trace the package if it's overdue,

but not necessarily to follow the package each step of the way???

It's just a guess...

But seriously, how many people track their packages?

I sure wouldn't waste my time doing so.

I have a business to run,

and IMO it's not my duty to contact them,

it's their duty to contact me when it arrives,

or better still; deliver the package,

and collect the fee if there is any.

Why pay for the Fedex rate, for shipping if you plan to do the work for them?

That hardly makes sense.

Fedex is truly the worst service in Thailand for shipping anything,

as a side note.

They can tell you what ever story or excuse they want,

but even when we hired a clearing agent at the Airport,

he too had to pay Fedex to release the package to him,

so he in turn could clear the package and forward it off to us.

Before we had him, we tried everything...The paperless process,

having the package declared before shipment for the value,

copies of the bank transfer from Thailand to pay for the product that was shipped.

Website address of the online company we purchase the packages from ect.

They would never charge the same amount for clearing the package,

even though the items were from the same suppliers,

and the amount of goods were always the same,

weight was always the same...

only the prices to clear would go up,

and yes they were directly responsible for it.

We know this for one time we were having a heated exchange back & forth with one of the agents,

who was claiming to be representing the Customs agents; about the amount,

and she put us on hold for maybe a minute,

to come back and tell us the price could be reduced only by a small amount,

which was still 150% over the declared value,

with the transfer bank copies and the paperless system in place,

and the documents of our company.

They in turn hung onto the package for an additional two weeks,

as we had made the decision to just let it go,

as it wasn't worth what they claimed Customs wanted for it to clear.

Fedex later called us, and reduced the price more,

we fell for the scam, and when the package arrived,

instead of the receipt being pink,

which is what the Customs officers use,

it was yellow, which is only the color Fedex uses for their receipts,

and no declared stamp from Customs officials,

nothing showing the package was ever opened,

everything sealed as it always was.

We contacted Fedex U.S. and reported it to the Headquarters for that region,

and the reply after the seller contacted them as well,

as this was effecting the seller business too;

if we have to pay to much to clear the package,

then why order it from the U.S. or go through Fedex to deliver, wright.

The seller had a Fedex account, and received special shipping rates from the U.S, side,

as the company was a heavy volume shipper through Fedex...

All that came from the Fedex U.S. side was they can't get involved with Fedex Thailand...

Just the worst possible shipping company to go through hand down.

We now use ground service through the postal service,

from the same seller, with the same product, quantity, weight all the same,

and there's no custom fee's at all.

We don't have to baby sit the tracking system, what a waste of time.

It's just delivered or a slip is left in the box for us to pick it up at the local post office.

We go through the local post office at least twice a month,

and never had any issues.

Sure it takes two weeks for the package to arrive,

but less stress, I think everyone can wait two weeks for something.

I've often wondered about UPS though, in the event I need something quick,

or as a backup service, so it was good to hear from at least one reply that for U.S. packages UPS was a pleasant experience.

Has anyone ever had Meat delivered to Thailand?

I know of a few local restaurants here that offer USDA Beef,

so there must be a way to get it here,

but I just wonder how they ship it,

and what the experience is like?

• 8 months later...

Omg thank you for this thread.

I normally use UPS to ship my packages to Thailand and was considering to switch to FEDEX as I already have an old account with them.

Considering that it is electrical parts for machinery, I think you guys really just saved my a$$ lol.