Fresh produce prices skyrocket, inflation reaches new high

webfact

"A Commercial Counselor, Ms Amphawan Phichalai revealed that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation in April peaked at 107.47 points, which was a 2.45 percent increase from the same period last year."

Does the counselor or the journalist have any idea of what the CPI is, how it is calculated or what is indicates? The above statement makes no sense without any reference to the base year or last year's result.

How about 104.9 for last year...?!

(104.9 x 102.45% = 107.47)

• Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This Skyrocket price inflation is where ?

Cannot say I noticed, 2 kg cheese this week was still 655 baht, so is cheaper than about 3-4 years ago, also needed butter 5kg still the same price as 1 year ago, big Lemons cost 14 baht so why buy 12 baht tiny limes ? fresh Veg on the Village markets appear to be the same price, Thursday on going shopping stopped for Lunch at a nice little place, still the same price, big plate, red pork mix 25 baht... went up about 4 years ago from 20 baht.

For sure bottled Gas has gone up each time need another bottle, but that was expected... Mango's believe this year are cheaper then ever before.. Thursday 10 kg for 100 baht big yellow ripe one.. I am sure in all the years have never got 10 kg for that price

• Like 2

It's all relative though, well it depends how you have your money / income. I assume most of you guys have pensions so I hope you have it kept in your respective currencies.. I have an income most of GBP which is at like 54 baht to the pound now, which is the highest it has been for 4 years?

Well that's inflation for you. But all those people who were screaming 6 months ago that the currency was too strong and that exports needed a weaker currency to help.

So here we are. And the net effect is? Virtually zero. You cannot devalue yourself to export growth in the end. Efficiency, innovation to make savings is better than just cheapening the product.

Your assertion is clearly untrue. We know this because of what's happened in the Eurozone. Countries such as Spain and Greece were not able to devalue their currency and so are condemned to years of economic shrinkage or very very low growth. As for inflation, if, in fact, it is at 2.45% from a year ago, this is not bad news at all. What's more, basing your inflation figures on volatile items like food, particularly fresh food, is going to result in wild volatility and is not a useful measure of the inflation rate.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

LennyW, on 02 May 2014 - 16:07, said:

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

I bought a whole bottle of lime concentrate, 15 Baht.

Which is 10% limes, 50% sugar and 40% chemicals.

Indeed, the price of limes has skyrocketed even at local markets.

If I could buy pure lime juice at 15 baht I'd stock up the spare room.

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

Eggish, a bit fruity with a overtone of mango and with a garlicy aftertaste.

Edited by hansnl

The price of limes must have a huge bearing on this - the prices for them are getting out of hand, i saw shitty little ones in Tesco at the weekend 12 baht each!!

And limes in North America (95% are imported from Mexico) are retailing for almost 300 baht.

Apparently there is a shortage there as well. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/lime-shortage_n_5191607.html

I offer this to put your comment in perspective. Is the cost of living in North America 25X higher than in Thailand? I don't think so.

Every year in Thailand food prices of fresh produce go up and down depending upon the season, the weather and the impact of crop diseases.

We see the same in North America and the EU.

• Like 1

This Skyrocket price inflation is where ?

Cannot say I noticed, 2 kg cheese this week was still 655 baht, so is cheaper than about 3-4 years ago, also needed butter 5kg still the same price as 1 year ago, big Lemons cost 14 baht so why buy 12 baht tiny limes ? fresh Veg on the Village markets appear to be the same price, Thursday on going shopping stopped for Lunch at a nice little place, still the same price, big plate, red pork mix 25 baht... went up about 4 years ago from 20 baht.

For sure bottled Gas has gone up each time need another bottle, but that was expected... Mango's believe this year are cheaper then ever before.. Thursday 10 kg for 100 baht big yellow ripe one.. I am sure in all the years have never got 10 kg for that price

Your on the ball Iggy,buy seasonly you cant go wrong.

I see the comment on Thai pork prices. There's apparently been a pork crisis in North America since 2012 and a worldwide shortage of bacon.

China and the EU pork producers have been hit hard by porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDv) which has wiped out pig herds. Now, the virus is in the USA. Previously Thailand was exporting 2% of its pork production, but I expect that number will have increased,

I was unaware that the US is able to produce pork at 1/2 the cost of Thailand. This is due to large subsidies in the USA which fund this sector.

The US is putting pressure on Thailand to allow imports. This would reduce the cost to consumers, but it is argued would hurt small pork producers. I doubt that as the Thai pork processing and distribution system functions as a quasi monopoly controlled by a handful of big Thai companies. The small pork producers satisfy local small market needs. However, if Thailand was to allow pork imports, it would force the government to spend billions of baht to support the Thai pork sector. We'd have another rice subsidy program crisis.

Interesting article on Thai pork production here http://www.scbeic.com/ENG/document/note_20130814_thai_industry_en/

• Like 1

And limes in North America (95% are imported from Mexico) are retailing for almost 300 baht.

Apparently there is a shortage there as well. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/lime-shortage_n_5191607.html

I offer this to put your comment in perspective. Is the cost of living in North America 25X higher than in Thailand? I don't think so.

Every year in Thailand food prices of fresh produce go up and down depending upon the season, the weather and the impact of crop diseases.

We see the same in North America and the EU.

NOT up and down------Pork, Durian, Milk, butter, oranges, veg, Gas bottles, shampoo, toothpaste, electricity, water, petrol, car prices, m/cycle, coffee, tea, tinned cat/dog food, animal biscuit foods, bus fares example-Airport -Jomptien, cigs, alcohol, Hair cut, hair products, deodorant, so many more.

I do not see that many that go down, mostly up. your up and down missed the UP again without a further down.

• Like 2

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is then ! I wonder what an omlette with these ingredients would taste like ???sick.gif

Just make sure you add a heap of chilli then that will block the other flavours,just stay close to the toilet though.

You hard boil the eggs....add some greens, olive oil, salt and pepper...then the garlic. Slightly unriped mangos (not soft, but not overly sour) diced on the top.

You have a fantastic salad................and healthy!

Good thinking....chefs can make do...

Edited by slipperylobster

It may be just one small lime but.......at the local shop I usually get SumTam Farang (thai style - sweet, sour and spicy) which usually consists of at least 1 lime. This take out treat cost 25 baht. I know the sumtam lady is not paying 12-15 baht per lime but the cost has risen from the usual 5 baht to about 8-10 baht. As a staple item in Issan it does not take a major change in some of the basic food items to make a huge cut in their profits.

I do not know of a single Thai person who has ever purchased a 2 kg block of cheese at Tesco. In fact I do not know any Thai person who has ever bought cheese period. **other than those that are married to a non-Thai person who is unable to eat anything other than toast, cheese, marmite and pork drippings.....

Interesting that they should add cooking gas to the list, the Government launched a one year price increase plan on cooking gas that doesn't peak until October 2014.

How much is it going up ?

I heard that electricity is going up to Singapore prices this year. I bet somchai wont like that.

For anyone that is interested. I think that this article might be based on the Low Income Consumer Price Index. You can find it here: http://www.indexpr.moc.go.th/price_present/TableIndexL_45_Country_E.asp?type_index=i&type_region=5

What is interesting is that they set the categories out in detail. 161 in total, and it is mostly stuff that people buy day to day along with things that are yearly or even once in a lifetime (like education). A quick look and it seems reasonable.

It may be just one small lime but.......at the local shop I usually get SumTam Farang (thai style - sweet, sour and spicy) which usually consists of at least 1 lime. This take out treat cost 25 baht. I know the sumtam lady is not paying 12-15 baht per lime but the cost has risen from the usual 5 baht to about 8-10 baht. As a staple item in Issan it does not take a major change in some of the basic food items to make a huge cut in their profits.

I do not know of a single Thai person who has ever purchased a 2 kg block of cheese at Tesco. In fact I do not know any Thai person who has ever bought cheese period. **other than those that are married to a non-Thai person who is unable to eat anything other than toast, cheese, marmite and pork drippings.....

Guess a Thai has no idea how to keep cheese for 6 - 8 months, as it is not a every day Thai persons food item.

[buy Cheese and Butter at Makro, do Tesco sell big blocks of cheese ?]

2kg of cheese is an awful lot of cholesterol to be packing away.....

• Like 1

TOPS Market has nice looking apples. Large size. 199 baht each. In round numbers, that's US$6.00 each.

These are not ceremonial fruit, wrapped in mesh and nestled into a fine wooden box with a sliding top, Japanese style. They are just loose in a basket.

Who buys stuff like that?

• Like 1

Egg, Garlic and Mangoe diet it is

then ! I wonder what an omlette

with these ingredients would taste

???http://static.thaivisa.com

/forum//public/style_emoticons

/default/sick.gif

Just make sure you add a heap of

chilli then that will block the

other flavours,just stay close to

the toilet though.

Sugar is the way to go, It's in everything.

Jb1

I see the comment on Thai pork prices. There's apparently been a pork crisis in North America since 2012 and a worldwide shortage of bacon.

China and the EU pork producers have been hit hard by porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDv) which has wiped out pig herds. Now, the virus is in the USA. Previously Thailand was exporting 2% of its pork production, but I expect that number will have increased,

I was unaware that the US is able to produce pork at 1/2 the cost of Thailand. This is due to large subsidies in the USA which fund this sector.

The US is putting pressure on Thailand to allow imports. This would reduce the cost to consumers, but it is argued would hurt small pork producers. I doubt that as the Thai pork processing and distribution system functions as a quasi monopoly controlled by a handful of big Thai companies. The small pork producers satisfy local small market needs. However, if Thailand was to allow pork imports, it would force the government to spend billions of baht to support the Thai pork sector. We'd have another rice subsidy program crisis.

Interesting article on Thai pork production here http://www.scbeic.com/ENG/document/note_20130814_thai_industry_en/

Excuse me, your comment on pork is ridiculous, who cares about US-UK subsidy, I am talking about here where you have a massive industry producing pork, you were not qualified to speak on the subject of quality pork, that was what my post was about.

Thai people are brainwashed to thinking the pork is normal and are unaware of quality as UK housewives are.

The pork is rubbish that is sent for sale. Overweight and overpriced.

You do not have to try to confuse me about stats and western pig diseases. That is a separate issue. Here Price --high, Quality, low.

• Like 2

The price of fruit has gone up the most dramatically, but it seems to depend on where you live. In places like Samui there is a scalping mentality, and some of the prices are considerably more than I would pay in the US. When the fruit is out of season the prices go way up, and when the season arrives, they only go down a little now. Oranges for 70-100 baht per kilo? Watermelon is regularly scalped at 25 baht per kilo, and I have sternly lectured a few fruit vendors who have attempted to extort 30 baht per kilo from me. Longan for 100 baht per kilo? Insanity. I have some friends who tell me they pay only 5-10 baht per kilo for a lot of fruit, in places like Trang. There is a very short term mentality when it comes to sales like this.

The price of fruit has gone up the most dramatically, but it seems to depend on where you live. In places like Samui there is a scalping mentality, and some of the prices are considerably more than I would pay in the US. When the fruit is out of season the prices go way up, and when the season arrives, they only go down a little now. Oranges for 70-100 baht per kilo? Watermelon is regularly scalped at 25 baht per kilo, and I have sternly lectured a few fruit vendors who have attempted to extort 30 baht per kilo from me. Longan for 100 baht per kilo? Insanity. I have some friends who tell me they pay only 5-10 baht per kilo for a lot of fruit, in places like Trang. There is a very short term mentality when it comes to sales like this.

TOPS Market has nice looking apples. Large size. 199 baht each. In round numbers, that's US$6.00 each.

These are not ceremonial fruit, wrapped in mesh and nestled into a fine wooden box with a sliding top, Japanese style. They are just loose in a basket.

Thais with money.

I am not making a smartass comment either. The retailer would not carry the product unless there was a demand and he could move it, right?

I've been in various Centrals with their expensive shops. Many of the prices are EU/North American levels.

And yet the stores do have customers. When I look at these people, they are regular folks and are not covered in bling.

What I don't understand is that I earn a decent salary, but I consider those goods too expensive and yet, a teenager will go into the store and drop 5000 baht no problem. The Thais love their shopping bags from the stores. I just don't get it. Where do they get the money? Central wouldn't have these wonderful shopping centers filled with retailers paying high rents unless there was a market for it. In Hua Hin, every weekend there's a traffic jam filled with BMWs, Mercedes and SUVs.

• Like 2

And yet my friends who like San Miguel light are still getting a wedge of lime stuffed into the tops of their bottles.

That could end soon!

At a watering hole I like to frequent, I used to get a slice of lime with my neer. A couple of weeks ago, they told me I could have my lime if I was willing to pay extra. I said no thank you, and enjoyed my beer, sans lime.

a little cheap charlie no?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Even at those prices, a wedge of lime cannot be more than one baht. So, for the bar owner to ask you to pay extra for a wedge of lime is petty beyong my imagination. I would ask them to re-think their policy, and if they did not offer me a free wedge of lime, I would get up, and go somewhere else, even if it was my favorite bar in the world. There is nothing cheap charlie about this. It is just common sense and principal. I can feel it when someone is blowing smoke up my ass. And I do not like the feeling!

LennyW, on 02 May 2014 - 16:07, said:

I bought a whole bottle of lime concentrate, 15 Baht.

Read the table of contents, it contains no LIME, just flavor

Thais with money.

I am not making a smartass comment either. The retailer would not carry the product unless there was a demand and he could move it, right?

I've been in various Centrals with their expensive shops. Many of the prices are EU/North American levels.

And yet the stores do have customers. When I look at these people, they are regular folks and are not covered in bling.

What I don't understand is that I earn a decent salary, but I consider those goods too expensive and yet, a teenager will go into the store and drop 5000 baht no problem. The Thais love their shopping bags from the stores. I just don't get it. Where do they get the money? Central wouldn't have these wonderful shopping centers filled with retailers paying high rents unless there was a market for it. In Hua Hin, every weekend there's a traffic jam filled with BMWs, Mercedes and SUVs.

That's because the 300bht per day is a myth.....

Bought limes yesterday at 8bht each....big and juicy. Guess I must have a win sometimes....