Investigation finds senior Immigration Police officers linked to visa scam

Investigation finds senior Immigration Police officers linked to visa scam

Bangkok:-- Following an internal investigation, two senior Immigration Police officers have been permanently transferred to police headquarters after it was found that they were involved in an alleged visa scam.

The two officers in question, Pol Maj Gen Kriengsak Arunsrisophon who previously held the position of the bureau's chief of Division 3, and Theerachai Detkhad who was the chief of immigration office at Sa Kaeo, were informed of their transfer on Thursday afternoon by national police chief Adul Saengsinkaew.

A source inside the bureau, who did not wish to be named, explained that an internal investigation found sufficient information which revealed that the officers may have been involved with a company that illegally arranged visas for foreign nationals in Thailand.

The investigation into this matter began when the visa company, which has not been named at this stage, claimed on its own website that it could arrange visa renewals for foreigners living in Thailand, without them needing to leave the country, for a fee of 6,000 THB.

Under Thai law, foreigners have to leave the country to renew their visas at a Thai consulate, with many foreign nationals choosing such destinations as Vientiane or Penang to renew their visa.

The source went onto to say that it is believed the two officers in question seriously abused their position within the bureau, the repercussions of which could pose a potentially great threat to national security.

It was also revealed that Pol Col Theerachai had previously worked as assistant to the police commander before he began his career in the Immigration Bureau.

tvn.png
-- 2014-05-03

• Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why am I not surprised ... I actually know of someone who gets his extension based on retirement (money in the bank) extended each year for about 20,000Baht ... he doesn't have the 800,000 Baht ... says it cheaper than a flight back to the UK! I don't think that I will see much change in this area in the not-too immediate future!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it's the reporting but we read " believed to have been involved ", " maybe involved " so not actually beyond a reasonable doubt but disciplinary enquiries can have a different standard.

Result ? Transferred to HQ permanently where they will have to find new scams to supplement their income.

" Hello Somchai there's a good post coming up at ... , I can put a good word in for you if you get my meaning "

Why are the police responsible for immigration? Take this job away from them now. Employ personnel that are fully conversant with the rules (such as they are) and pay them salaries that are decent enough to attract qualified and conscientious folk.

In terms of national security, this is an important task. The whole culture of the RPT is the antithesis of an organization required for such a role.

Edited by chrisrazz
  • Like 2

Maybe it's the reporting but we read " believed to have been involved ", " maybe involved " so not actually beyond a reasonable doubt but disciplinary enquiries can have a different standard.

Result ? Transferred to HQ permanently where they will have to find new scams to supplement their income.

" Hello Somchai there's a good post coming up at ... , I can put a good word in for you if you get my meaning "

post-142424-0-16492700-1399091714_thumb.

• Like 2

I know somebody that did this. I told them it was illegal and they risked everything, he said his wife's Aunty (who was arranging it for a small fee) said it was legal rolleyes.gif I said, please yourself. Stupid is as stupid does.

It says in the OP

A source inside the bureau, who did not wish to be named, explained that an internal investigation found sufficient information which revealed that the officers may have been involved with a company that illegally arranged visas for foreign nationals in Thailand.

'may' have been involved is not really good enough is it, particularly when you claim evidence has been found. They either were involved or they were not. Which is it. If they were involved will they be punished? We have seen people jailed for the most minor of transgressions with the law and people routinely escape jail for the most major transgressions. I wonder which camp these two will be in whistling.gif

Transferred the offenders to HQ...I guess so they can crossfeed "the how to" info with their peers and superiors...It's important to keep senior leadership in the loop.

Sent from my Samsung S4

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised ... I actually know of someone who gets his extension based on retirement (money in the bank) extended each year for about 20,000Baht ... he doesn't have the 800,000 Baht ... says it cheaper than a flight back to the UK! I don't think that I will see much change in this area in the not-too immediate future!!!!!!!!!!

20, 000 baht! It's 12 grand round our way ... Someone is being well ripped off.

How much do the money lenders charge for 800k for 2 months?

Should be about 16-20k.

12k is a good price. :rolleyes:

Why are the police responsible for immigration? Take this job away from them now. Employ personnel that are fully conversant with the rules (such as they are) and pay them salaries that are decent enough to attract qualified and conscientious folk.

In terms of national security, this is an important task. The whole culture of the RPT is the antithesis of an organization required for such a role.

We were at an immigration office in Chonburi the other week. We saw two Asian guy's at the back of a Porta cabin with a guy wearing an

immigration uniform. He was taking their passports from them.

Corruption at all levels. The sad thing is without it most of our lifestyles would change dramatically. A lot of people are complaining about the cost of living now. Just imagine what it would be if everyone earned a fair wage.

Jb1

• Like 1

But even though they have committed crimes, they do not get fired or spend any time behind bars, but mearly transferred to "head office"

"

May have been involved...read the article, therefore until proven, they are innocent....or is it TV members that make the choice of who is guilty or not?

• Like 1

How much do the money lenders charge for 800k for 2 months?

Should be about 16-20k.

12k is a good price. rolleyes.gif

Well, an agent only needs 1 lot of 800,000 baht. If he has more he can serve more clients per day. He puts in into the a/c of client number 1, nips to Immi with the passport and bank book, gets the visa, withdraws the 800k and goes on to client number 2.

Of course, he may just bung the Immi officer to 'see' a non-existent bank book ...

only 5000 here tip of the iceberg,

Ingrained accepted part of society in Thailand, the more I see these kind of posts, the more I believe it goes much higher up, and in this case if they are guilty, they will just be moved again to another position

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app