Avocado Tree

dive_mistress

Hi,

I live close to bkk and have 4 avocado trees growing, all from seed, which I took out of the fruit. They do not seem to bother about the heat/cold/wet. The oldest is now about 3 years old and (i guess) about 2.5 to 3 mtrs high.

I do not know if they will bear fruit, but the trees are all doing ok. My soil is a mix including clay. Leaves start hanging when I forget watering in the dry season.

I have heard of a Thai grower in Krabi or Surat for a small amount of them.. And up north..

Love them but only seem to get real rough quality isreali ones here.. not had that perfect ripeness creamy tasting ones like the Mex ones..

I have one it must be at least 10yrs old . Probably around 6m high at a guess.

Last year had lots of flowers which all got blown of in a strong wind but not many flowers this year . So far no fruit at all. A very healthy looking tree though. I'm in Chiang Mai by the way.

I have one it must be at least 10yrs old . Probably around 6m high at a guess.

Last year had lots of flowers which all got blown of in a strong wind but not many flowers this year . So far no fruit at all. A very healthy looking tree though. I'm in Chiang Mai by the way.

Not sure if it works but I heard that if you ry knocking a nail into the tree trunk that this is supposed to shock to make it bear fruit.

The OP is referring, I believe, to growing avocadoes on or around Phuket. There is one small orchard near Kata - which seems to be the only successor at bearing fruit. Otherwise, the low-grade fruits come from the north or we pay expensive prices for imported avo's.

I successfully struck a few seeds earlier this year - during an unseasonal wet period - and had very healthy foot-high young seedlings - but the subsequent scorching, dry spell that followed killed them dead in a matter of days :o

I should think that the Phang Nga/ Krabi region is a good locale for commercial crops due to the volcanic soils and higher rainfall (very similar to North Queensland in Oz - where I lived in my previous life - and where avo's thrive in abundance). Avocado trees are temperamental so will take dedicated organic farmers to nurture the industry here.

• 1 year later...
<br />I was told that they grow them in the north of Thailand. I would like to know if it is possible to get a small avocado tree in Phuket, although I dont seem to think so thought I would ask the experts here. <br />Thanks<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I know avocados will grow in Phuket- i have 5 trees grown from seeds that are now 2 years old. I am hoping to buy some grafted trees but have not found a contact to do so. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

The OP is referring, I believe, to growing avocadoes on or around Phuket. There is one small orchard near Kata - which seems to be the only successor at bearing fruit. Otherwise, the low-grade fruits come from the north or we pay expensive prices for imported avo's.

I successfully struck a few seeds earlier this year - during an unseasonal wet period - and had very healthy foot-high young seedlings - but the subsequent scorching, dry spell that followed killed them dead in a matter of days :o

I should think that the Phang Nga/ Krabi region is a good locale for commercial crops due to the volcanic soils and higher rainfall (very similar to North Queensland in Oz - where I lived in my previous life - and where avo's thrive in abundance). Avocado trees are temperamental so will take dedicated organic farmers to nurture the industry here.

Then do what you would do in your home country, put any young plants under a cloche until they are strong enough to fend for themselves. The rain still gets through, but the sun gets filtered. That green/black netting 25thb a metre.

I know avocados will grow in Phuket- i have 5 trees grown from seeds that are now 2 years old. I am hoping to buy some grafted trees but have not found a contact to do so. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

I currently have 75 grafted avocado trees growing on our farm north of Udon Thani..They are all 3 years old and all about 3 - 4 meters tall.. We had some flowering earlier this year but none of the blooms set inti fruit..We are expecting some fruit next year..

I bought the trees in Pak Chong..which is north of BKK on Highway 2. The whole area there is nurseries on both sides of the road.. I have bought from several nurseries...They are all grafted and they have several varieties from Haas to Fuente to Booth #7...All do well in the Thai climate.

Avocado trees are very prone to root rot which is caused by standing water at the tree base...Trees must be planted in a well drained area.

Also trees started from Seeds will grow well, but will not produce quality fruit. But the root stock is very good for grafting..

Stoneman- thanks for that. If anyone has a telephone # for one of the nurseries at Pak Chong it will be a great help.

Mike///

I am in the US on business for the next three weeks, but will look in my records when I get back to BKK..

George

George,

Thanks for that. have fun in the States.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Stoneman- thanks for that. If anyone has a telephone # for one of the nurseries at Pak Chong it will be a great help.

I found this in an article about avocados:

Dr. Chalongchai Babpraserth

Associate Professor,

Department of Horticulture,

Kasetsart University, Bangkok, c/o Pakchong Research Station,

Nakorn Rajasrima 30130

Tel: (66-44) 311796 (Pakchong Office), Mobile: 01-2656640, (66-2) 5790308 (Bangkok Office)

Fax: (66-44) 313797 (Pakchong Office), (66-2) 5791951 (Bangkok Office)

E-mail: [email protected]

Hope it helps

Edited by BB1950

• 11 months later...

Update on avocados in the north. Yesterday my staff and picked about 40 kg from 3 trees in Chiang Rai. I was told by the owner that he started the trees 10 years ago from seeds. I did not see a big difference in his fruit and that of trees that had been rooted or grafted. It seems like this issue is split down the middle. Start from seeds and then graft or start from rooted limbs. Your guess is as good as mine.

I have collected a lot of limbs from the producing trees yesterday. Tomorrow I will start to root some and graft some. Only time will tell who is correct.

Don Battles

I was going to say... I know someone in Kuranda that grows them and they're massive.. Much bigger than in the shops... Have thought about smuggling in a durian seed, but it's not worth the shit if I get caught.