Support for reform up amid poll doubt

Support for reform up amid poll doubt
The Sunday Nation May 4, 2014 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- People fear another disrupted ballot; many want changes now, surveys find

Most people fear that the next election - tentatively scheduled for July 20 - will be disrupted again by protesters if political reforms are not enacted first, the latest opinion polls show.

Most people surveyed in a Nida poll believe the July 20 election will suffer the same fate as the one on February 2, which ended up being annulled by judges, and that the country should implement reforms before holding another election.

Dusit Poll also released similar survey results about the election. Of the 1,147 respondents, 52 per cent said they feared the new poll would be a waste of money, while 15.6 per cent wanted the Election Commission to ensure a free and fair election, and 14.6 per cent said some parties may boycott the election again.

About 63 per cent believe the July 20 election will be disrupted by protests, though 25 per cent believe the poll will go smoothly, while 12 per cent were unsure what might happen, a survey by National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) showed.

Asked what the country should do first - hold an election or implement reform - 49.6 per cent said reform, 38 per cent wanted an election, 6 per cent said either do both at the same time or don't do anything, while 6.2 per cent were not certain.

Asked if they thought the poll would be free and fair, 35 per cent said it would not be free and fair, 25 per cent said it would barely be free and fair, 22 per cent said it would be fairly free and fair, 7.5 per cent said it would be very free and fair, while 9.4 per cent were not certain.

The Nida poll was conducted with 1,252 respondents across the country on Friday and yesterday.

When asked about Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's move to seek cooperation from the military, political parties and the Justice Ministry's permanent secretary to find solutions for the turmoil, 43 per cent of people in the Dusit Poll said they wanted him to act without any political motivation or vested interest.

Some 32 per cent said he should be given a chance to find a solution, 10 per cent said what he was doing was part of a political game, while 8.9 per cent said if all sides cooperated, Abhisit would find effective and clear solutions. Some 4.6 per cent said they found Abhisit's attempt an interesting move worth attention as he has opponents and supporters.

The Dusit Poll was conducted from April 30 to May 2.

In a related development, pro-government red shirts led rallies yesterday in the North and Northeast, including Chiang Mai, Kalasin and Khon Kaen, against what they termed undemocratic attempts for political changes.

Meanwhile, kamnan and village heads have threatened to stage a mass rally today to oust anti-government protesters who have laid siege to the Interior Ministry in Bangkok for months in an attempt to pressure the caretaker government to step down.

Chiang Mai Association of Kamnan and Village Heads president Kamoldit Rojthanawipat, or Kamnan Daeng, said about 1,100 local leaders from Chiang Mai would join forces with their counterparts nationwide and some 80,000 people would gather at Sanam Luang.

He said the leaders would then march to the Interior Ministry to push the People's Democratic Reform Committee protesters out of the ministry. Kamoldit said that although only a small number of PDRC protesters were at the ministry, they had blocked officials from working, causing public inconvenience nationwide.

"The PDRC's act of laying siege is illegal and useless. We will put on our uniforms to stop this illegal activity,'' he said.

Komkrit Singtothong, president of the Chon Buri Association of Kamnan and Village Heads, said about 1,200 kamnan, village heads, assistant village heads and local doctors from his province would travel to Bangkok.

"The PDRC protesters have blocked the Interior Ministry officials from carrying out their duty, causing damage to the public," he said.

"We will be gentle with them as we do not want violence. If they resist, we will seek to press charges."

Komkrit said defence volunteers and police would also join the rally.

He said he would also lead local leaders to protest against a proposal to elect all provincial governors, which may result in positions of kamnan and village heads being scrapped.

The proposal was unacceptable because the kamnan and village heads had become an institution that addressed public issues after its establishment 122 years ago.

King Rama 5 appointed kamnans and village heads to address public grievances and they are empowered as authorities by criminal code procedures, Komkrit said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-04

Notice the Dusit numbers are now too vague to check?

"Asked what the country should do first - hold an election or implement reform - 49.6 per cent said reform, 38 per cent wanted an election, 6 per cent said either do both at the same time or don't do anything, while 6.2 per cent were not certain."

Only to 1 decimal place.... I view Dusit polls as simply political marketing with fake numbers attached. The numbers were identified as fake because they use to give them to 2 decimal places, and you could therefore see they were impossible and hence fake made up numbers.

e.g. let me grab 3 to show you their polls are fake:

Anand tops Neutral PM Poll (link)

1,118 polled, 40.55% supported former premier Anand Panyarachun = 453.349 people, totally impossible (453 people would be 40.52%, 454 people would be 40.61%)

Many fear trouble will escalate Suan Dusit poll (link)

1,588 people polled, 13.81 per cent said they hoped to see constructive political moves... thats 219.3 people which is impossible, (219 = 13.79%)

Yingluk on reform (link)

Suan Dusit poll, meanwhile, revealed 91.55 per cent of 1,240 Bangkokians surveyed, believe politicians are the cause of division in society today, = 1135.22 people impossible (1135= 91.53%)

You see the pattern? The numbers are just made up.

So Dusit wanted us to think, we wanted to vote for Anand, that there would be trouble if we didn't, and that politicians are the cause of division (and not, say a certain general and his plots and fake polls and schemes and gunmen and handgrenades).

OK, so here what are we supposed to think? God only knows, because that poll makes no sense even in the logical view:

Of the 1,147 respondents, 52 per cent said they feared the new poll would be a waste of money, while 15.6 per cent wanted the Election Commission to ensure a free and fair election, and 14.6 per cent said some parties may boycott the election again.

Are these either/or? Because how else can only 15.6 per cent of people want the Election Commission to run a fair and free election?? Do the other 84.4% want unfair elections?

So I think this sentence is just filler for the message. To pad it out.

About 63 per cent believe the July 20 election will be disrupted by protests, though 25 per cent believe the poll will go smoothly, while 12 per cent were unsure what might happen, a survey by National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) showed.

Perhaps this is the message they want to convey? that elections will be disrupted. i.e. pretending Suthep still have leverage.

When asked about Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva's move to seek cooperation from the military, political parties and the Justice Ministry's permanent secretary to find solutions for the turmoil, 43 per cent of people in the Dusit Poll said they wanted him to act without any political motivation or vested interest.

Oh I see, it's marketing for Abhisits thing from yesterday!

Some 32 per cent said he should be given a chance to find a solution, 10 per cent said what he was doing was part of a political game, while 8.9 per cent said if all sides cooperated, Abhisit would find effective and clear solutions. Some 4.6 per cent said they found Abhisit's attempt an interesting move worth attention as he has opponents and supporters

Ahh right, yeh, it's Abhisit marketing PR dressed up as a fake poll. You can see it in this sentence, these clauses are not mutually exclusive, the message is right there in the sentence:

"give him a chance" "Abhisit would find effective and clear solutions if all sides cooperated", "Abhisits attempt is an interesting move, worth attention"

This is the message they're trying to convey via this fake poll.

But if you imagine the polling form question, it makes no sense:

Check One:

[ ] Abhisit should be given a chance to find a solution

[ ] Abhisit is part of a political game

[ ] If all sides cooperated, Abhisit would find effective and clear solutions

[ ] Abhisits attempt is an interesting move worth attention as he has opponents and supporters.

[ ] Don't know

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

A Thai poll on these issues is preposterous. Thai seem to have gotten the meaning of "reform" twisted around to be restricted to election reform and not Thai reform in general. Thais need reform of law and order in order to provide penalty and prosecution for corruption and illegal exchange of money. Thais need to reform the police, rules, laws, and punishments. Thais need to reform their system of holding political office, transactions in commercial and government contracts as well as complete civilian control of military.

Based on this poll and survey and Thai responses, it appears that the meaning of "reform" in Thailand is confused and disjointed. It's no wonder that Thailand is dysfunctional. Reform started out to mean corruption in government. Thais need to start with a reform package that defines that law and order is meant not to be broken with impunity and that punishment would be meted out.

Sitting governments should not be allowed to fund programs designed to garner votes ahead of elections. Maybe if they started with candidates having a true "reform" platform and campaigning that platform, everyone would know who is gaming the Thai population and the system for personal gain and power. Let's talk about reform for the benefit of Thais, their welfare, education, economy, and growth not who gets to run and who gets to vote.

Being selfish, their stupidity and lack of sense makes my dollar stronger. So their political upheavals works well for me.

In all fairness though I would love to see this a better country.

• Like 2

Asked what the country should do first - hold an election or implement reform - 49.6 per cent said reform, 38 per cent wanted an election

Hang on that majority does not suit the PTP agenda. Time to make up excuses, demonize the poll, call it a fake poll, say the numbers are fake and call NIDA biased. In other words ignore that majority until a majority that suits the PTP agenda forms. If not then under no circumstances accept the next election results if that majority does not suit your agenda either.

​Fake poll. Even the conspiracy club of america would have a hard time swallowing that one.

Monks don't suit agenda - Fake

Police don't suit agenda - Fake

Army don't suit agenda - Real

EC don't suit agenda - Biased

NACC don't suit agenda - Biased

Farmers don't suit agenda - Fake

Now my new favorite…..Polls don't suit agenda - Fake..

It is tragically beautiful how some peoples minds think.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

Asked what the country should do first - hold an election or implement reform - 49.6 per cent said reform, 38 per cent wanted an election

Hang on that majority does not suit the PTP agenda. Time to make up excuses, demonize the poll, call it a fake poll, say the numbers are fake and call NIDA biased. In other words ignore that majority until a majority that suits the PTP agenda forms. If not then under no circumstances accept the next election results if that majority does not suit your agenda either.

But the remaining questions take up 5.choices

If they asked need reform or not, the answer would be completely different. U know these polls or rigged, surely don't you?,

If they asked need reform or not, the answer would be completely different. U know these polls or rigged, surely don't you?,

Point in case. Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my argument that under no circumstances accept a majority that go against the PTP ethos.

Well done and thanks.

Point in case. Thanks for inadvertently reinforcing my argument that under no circumstances accept a majority that go against the PTP ethos.

Well done and thanks.

It's 49%.

It's not a absolute majority. Just read the questions.

It's put together to give the reform answer the clearest single number. 6% answered do something or nothing??? Lol. But 6% were uncertain??? Right ho...

But 38 wanted an election. So 49.???????? Beats 51.????????

Absolutely conclusive that one.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Support for reform has the two major sides running at different angles, unless that is cancelled , nothing will be reformed , I favour reform before elections , and I will say why , because under the other proposal elections then reforms , I don't trust the PTP to negotiate with good intent/faith or even encourage reforms , in other words I don't trust them , they are a shonky outfit, their track record is dismal and the failure to implement their policies to fruition or light of day is a big worry. coffee1.gif

You missed the wolf in sheep's clothing story didn't you.

You trust Suthep and his bunch? At least you can get rid of Yingluck legally. Suthep you have to move with a gun.

A Thai poll on these issues is preposterous. Thai seem to have gotten the meaning of "reform" twisted around to be restricted to election reform and not Thai reform in general. Thais need reform of law and order in order to provide penalty and prosecution for corruption and illegal exchange of money. Thais need to reform the police, rules, laws, and punishments. Thais need to reform their system of holding political office, transactions in commercial and government contracts as well as complete civilian control of military.

Based on this poll and survey and Thai responses, it appears that the meaning of "reform" in Thailand is confused and disjointed. It's no wonder that Thailand is dysfunctional. Reform started out to mean corruption in government. Thais need to start with a reform package that defines that law and order is meant not to be broken with impunity and that punishment would be meted out.

Sitting governments should not be allowed to fund programs designed to garner votes ahead of elections. Maybe if they started with candidates having a true "reform" platform and campaigning that platform, everyone would know who is gaming the Thai population and the system for personal gain and power. Let's talk about reform for the benefit of Thais, their welfare, education, economy, and growth not who gets to run and who gets to vote.

Being selfish, their stupidity and lack of sense makes my dollar stronger. So their political upheavals works well for me.

One part of my income has increased 6,000 bht a month, compared to last April. no complaints from me, THANKS PTP.

• Like 2

One part of my income has increased 6,000 bht a month, compared to last April. no complaints from me, THANKS PTP.

Typical, and there was I thinking you were genuinely interested in the well being of the country whistling.gif .

Still, the silver lining is that there will be no more complaints from you.

Edited by fab4

Good luck with that part of reform involving "complete civilian control of the military."

Good luck again with that part preventing sitting governments funding programmes designed to win votes in elections.Some would call it democracy.Every government around the wolrld does it and I'm not quite sure why Thailand should be an exception.

Good luck with the curbing corruption part, particularly since the opposition to the current caretaker government has multiple corrupt elements.

Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we carry on talking reform psychobabble infinitely so that the ordinary Thai people never have an opportunity to participate in politics.I mean that's really Thaksin's big crime isn't it - letting that pesky majority have a genuine voice.

Good luck with that part of reform involving "complete civilian control of the military."

Good luck again with that part preventing sitting governments funding programmes designed to win votes in elections.Some would call it democracy.Every government around the wolrld does it and I'm not quite sure why Thailand should be an exception.

Good luck with the curbing corruption part, particularly since the opposition to the current caretaker government has multiple corrupt elements.

Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we carry on talking reform psychobabble infinitely so that the ordinary Thai people never have an opportunity to participate in politics.I mean that's really Thaksin's big crime isn't it - letting that pesky majority have a genuine voice.

Indeed. I still don't understand how anyone is supposed to quantify populist? Watch Fox News and everything is populist, read a left wing paper and its a necessity.

Its a stupid and arbitrary proposal.

Support for reform has the two major sides running at different angles, unless that is cancelled , nothing will be reformed , I favour reform before elections , and I will say why , because under the other proposal elections then reforms , I don't trust the PTP to negotiate with good intent/faith or even encourage reforms , in other words I don't trust them , they are a shonky outfit, their track record is dismal and the failure to implement their policies to fruition or light of day is a big worry. coffee1.gif

You missed the wolf in sheep's clothing story didn't you.

You trust Suthep and his bunch? At least you can get rid of Yingluck legally. Suthep you have to move with a gun.

Well Suthep isn't the nicest guy, but no one ever (beside the Thaksin party) ever blamed him for corruption. That southern land story has obviously nothing to do with corruption.

As I believe every politician is corrupt, I think he'll also have his dark spots but as I am sure the PTP searched everywhere and didn't find anything it can't be much.

And get rid of Yingluck legally? They tried to amnesty themself already, if full in power they would have changed the courts already and they tried to intimidate the judges.....While Suthep promised to leave politics afterwards....

• Like 2

Complete civilian control of military would mean that it is the private army of the next premier. Military must be independent, else it will be used inside the country against the opposition.

• Like 1

Chiang Mai Association of Kamnan and Village Heads president Kamoldit Rojthanawipat, or Kamnan Daeng, said about 1,100 local leaders from Chiang Mai would join forces with their counterparts nationwide and some 80,000 people would gather at Sanam Luang.

He said the leaders would then march to the Interior Ministry to push the People's Democratic Reform Committee protesters out of the ministry. Kamoldit said that although only a small number of PDRC protesters were at the ministry, they had blocked officials from working, causing public inconvenience nationwide.

Well now that they know you lot are coming, the numbers will increase dramatically and you will have a mini war on your hands, and you will deserve everything you get....

CAPO are going to allow a confrontation of this type?.... Here comes the violence.

What is the betting that PTP, CAPO and the UDD are actually behind this, and that the village heads are actually leading all their red shirts from each village to kick the civil war off.....

It is not making the USD stronger, it is making the baht weaker... the GDP is performing better against the THB than the USD is.

" He said he would also lead local leaders to protest against a proposal to elect all provincial governors, which may result in positions of kamnan and village heads being scrapped. "

That's essentially what the kamnans protest is about. It is an office that holds significant perks ( i.e. money ). Holding to elections encourages accountability - hence the protest. In terms of the polls, it's too bad that the polls in this country are so hard to read. They tend to show an exactitude that is more funny than convincing. ( Since when has a poll ever released findings rounded to the nearest tenth of a percentage point, let alone to the nearest hundredth of a percentage point, as is evidenced in some polls ? )The multiple answers are another method that simply adds to the confusion, not to mention that some statistics actually include people with different points of view on the very same question. Having said all that, the general thrust of these findings is that reform before an election is gathering acceptance within the public. Those numbers are increasing. And the people who feel an election now would be very free and very fair ( 7.5 % ) - well, those appear to be decreasing.

What they fail to do, is print the question asked.... They just print the answers. That doesn't help.

'When asked what they thought about.............. 63.2% replied..............

That's how they are done in the west.... Opinion polls in the UK especially political flavoured polls are usually very accurate.... Election results are usually a mirror of an election opinion poll.... or never far off. So if a poll is conducted correctly, you can get a fair idea of opinion on the street.

​Fake poll. Even the conspiracy club of america would have a hard time swallowing that one.

You don't know what the reform referenced in the poll is do you?

Perhaps some of the reforms people want to see are an elimination of the politicization of the judiciary? Or maybe they want to see a reform that prevents the EC and the NACC from meddling in politics? Or maybe they want to see a reform such that the military is accountable to the civilian government?

Well done and thanks.

It's 49%.

It's put together to give the reform answer the clearest single number. 6% answered do something or nothing??? Lol. But 6% were uncertain??? Right ho...

But 8 millions PT voters on 50 millions eligible voters are not majority too.... whistling.gif (Source EC Feb 2014)

Congrats on your windfall GJ. I suppose there are some people who do well out of the way PTP is running the country down.

And I know you are "genuinely interested in the well being of the country" because of your feelings towards the Shinawatra regime. whistling.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How and whom defines what is "true?" Suthep defines it as not making "promises" or "populist policies." Not quite so clear as a blueprint for reform.

You don't know what the reform referenced in the poll is do you?

Perhaps some of the reforms people want to see are an elimination of the politicization of the judiciary? Or maybe they want to see a reform that prevents the EC and the NACC from meddling in politics? Or maybe they want to see a reform such that the military is accountable to the civilian government?

So in other words don't respect THAT majority because it does not suit a PTP agenda.

Well done and thanks.

It's 49%.

But 8 millions PT voters on 50 millions eligible voters are not majority too.... whistling.gif (Source EC Feb 2014)

And the excuses continue for not respecting that majority. 49% is not a majority, but 43% that voted PTP are an overwhelming majority.

God I love this forum if only for the posts I read that highlight minorities are majorities, majorities as minorities, overwhelming majorities that are not respected all to suit a PTP agenda.

Classic stuff and thanks so much for the entertainment.

Well done and thanks.

It's 49%.

And the excuses continue for not respecting that majority. 49% is not a majority, but 43% that voted PTP are an overwhelming majority.

God I love this forum if only for the posts I read that highlight minorities are majorities, majorities as minorities, overwhelming majorities that are not respected all to suit a PTP agenda.

Classic stuff and thanks so much for the entertainment.

All this WAS 3 years ago, these %s ya a bit old fashioned aren't ya ??? your government shot it'self in the foot, from goodies to baddies all self inflicted and your still in denial brushing to one side everything and still harping on about what WAS---old hat--what WAS get it.

Say what you like about all this -this mega shizen mess, it was created by PTP, who had 3 years to do something worthwhile, but F it up big time with nothing to show at the end of the day but MISERY for everyone.

You and your colleges still want to shore up the regime. you have a screw loose.

Now you and others are shouting about any remedy that will help, whether it be Abhisit or whoever because you still want this immoral government back in because of percentages 3 years ago with still the thought that PTP are still the bees knees. sick to say the least.