Mother Denounces PCAD Guards' Brutal Assault On Her Son

Lite Beer

Mother Denounces PCAD Guards' Brutal Assault On Her Son

By Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK - The family of an army colonel who was brutally assaulted by a group of anti-government militants have formally launched a legal action against the perpetrators.

Col. Witthawat Wattanakul, a staff officer at the Royal Thai Armed Force Headquarters, was taken to hospital after he was beaten and shot by a group of "guards" working for the anti-government People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) on Chaeng Wattana Road in the early morning of 25 April.

It is understood that the guards were under the command of Buddhist monk and hard-line PCAD leader Buddha Issara.

PCAD representatives have previously offered an apology and 50,000 baht to Col. Witthawat's family to help pay for his medical costs. A close aide to Buddha Issara claimed the incident was merely a "misunderstanding".

Today Col. Witthawat's family lodged a formal complaint to the police at Thoong Song Hong Police Station, urging the authorities to arrest and prosecute the guards who assaulted Col. Witthawat.

Speaking to reporters in a pres conference at the police station, Col. Witthawat's mother Bang-onrat Wattanakul said she has returned the compensation money to the PCAD through the army staff because her son's life "cannot be bought with money".

Ms. Bang-onrat, 76, also refused to accept PCAD's apology, insisting that she would only settle the matter via formal legal procedures.

"There is no need for an apology. I pardon all of the perpetrators, but the laws is still inviolable," Ms. Bang-onrat said.

She continued, "This is not about politics, it is about my son getting beat up without a chance to defend himself. He has no opportunity to demand fairness. My son is a disciplined solider. He has no desire to take revenge,"

Furthermore, Ms Bang-onrat called on Buddha Issara to identify and send the perpetrators who assaulted her son to the police for the legal prosecution.

"If Buddha Issara is a true man, he has to accept whatever wrongdoing he has done," the colonel's mother said, "Please don't protect the wrongdoer. This country will not survive if wrongdoers are not punished."

She also denied the allegation put forth by several PCAD activists that Col. Witthawat was drunk or behaving aggressively prior to the attack. According to Ms. Bang-onrat, Col. Witthawat was simply trying to remove traffic cones that were blocking the road he was driving, but the gesture was deemed aggressive enough by the group of PCAD guards stationed in a nearby checkpoint.

Ms. Bang-onrat claimed that Col. Witthawat heard several gunshots and realised that he was shot in his legs, so he attempted to run and seek shelter near the Royal Thai Armed Force Headquarters, where he works, but the PCAD militants eventually caught up with him and mob-beat him until they discovered a military ID card on his car.

The most serious injury Col. Witthawat has received was the wound he received from a PCAD guard who swung a wooden stick at his head, narrowly missing his eyes, Ms. Bang-onrat said.

Ms. Bang-onrat also expressed her outrage at the National Human Rights Commission's silence over the incident. "What are they doing? Innocent people are being harmed. Why is the [NHCR] not defending these people?" Ms. Bang-onrat complained.

She added, "I would like to thank the PCAD for merely beating up my son instead of murdering him and dumping his body into a river. It's already such a great mercy on their part. And I would like to warn all citizens not to go near PCAD-occuied areas unless they absolutely have to."

When a reporter asked whether her family will consider settling the matter outside the court, Ms. Bang-onrat replied that she will not comment on the legal matters as she has already appointed a lawyer to handle the issue.

Col. Witthawat has not spoken to the press since he was admitted to hospital because of the attack, but Ms. Bang-onrat said her son has been making progress in his recovery.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1399194003&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-04

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Please don't protect the wrongdoer. This country will not survive if wrongdoers are not punished."

She nailed it there, but I would guess survival is looking rather shakey.

• Like 1

"Please don't protect the wrongdoer. This country will not survive if wrongdoers are not punished."

She nailed it there, but I would guess survival is looking rather shakey.

Depends upon the interpretation of the wrongdoer, doesn't it? Especially if Burbed boots walk on daddy's water. ;)

"The most serious injury Col. Witthawat has received was the wound he received from a PCAD guard who swung a wooden stick at his head, narrowly missing his eyes, Ms. Bang-onrat said."

And we were all told he was shot in the foot/feet? w00t.gif

The wounds to his feet were caused by shrapnel so it's entirely probable that the head injury caused by a lump of wood is more serious. In any event, what does it matter: he was attacked by hired goons in the direct employ of the maniacal monk. The sooner he's carted off to jail, the better.

How were his feet damaged by shrapnel. Did a grenade go off!

Any violence is reprehensible. But correct information is required where possible. Any link to the part about shrapnel ..I read "shot in the foot "

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Col. Witthawat Wattanakul, a staff officer at the Royal Thai Armed Force Headquarters, was taken to hospital after he was beaten and shot by a group of "guards" working for the anti-government People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) on Chaeng Wattana Road in the early morning of 25 April.

The ironic thing is, he was probably shot with army bullets from army guns.

His boss did nothing, the PDRC guards can shoot soldiers it seems, but I bet if the soldiers shot the guards, he's do something.

Nothing to point that he was "probably" shot with army bullets from army guns, other than you asserting it as such.

In the story linked - the two soldiers held up were on their way to Lumpini, not Chaeng Wattana. As usual, there was no follow up report (at least not that I recall), and no charges/convictions etc.

She added, "I would like to thank the PCAD for merely beating up my son instead of murdering him and dumping his body into a river. It's already such a great mercy on their part. And I would like to warn all citizens not to go near PCAD-occuied areas unless they absolutely have to."

pretty much sums it up.

people still defending these groups have put their blind hatred of Thaksin above any common sense

"The most serious injury Col. Witthawat has received was the wound he received from a PCAD guard who swung a wooden stick at his head, narrowly missing his eyes, Ms. Bang-onrat said."

And we were all told he was shot in the foot/feet? w00t.gif

The wounds to his feet were caused by shrapnel so it's entirely probable that the head injury caused by a lump of wood is more serious. In any event, what does it matter: he was attacked by hired goons in the direct employ of the maniacal monk. The sooner he's carted off to jail, the better.

How were his feet damaged by shrapnel. Did a grenade go off!

Any violence is reprehensible. But correct information is required where possible. Any link to the part about shrapnel ..I read "shot in the foot "

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One of the descriptions suggested a ricochet. That would mean a possibly deformed bullet or a fragmented bullet. One may wonder if the guards gave a warning shot firing just before the Colonel, or they may just be lousy shooters.

BTW as observation on some posts here, I'm really surprised to see someone refer to a "maniacal monk". Somehow the accusations get more and more bizare the more someones cause seems to be forced into a (close to) last ditch defence.

Ms. Bang-onrat, 76, also refused to accept PCAD's apology, insisting that she would only settle the matter via formal legal procedures.

Well done on her behalf. Following the legal process to seek justice. She didn't blow anything up, she didn't intimidate anyone, she didn't throw sh*t at the PDRC. She is following proper procedures through the courts which is her democratic right.

​Bravo. The red shirts and the PTP could learn a lot from this women who uses democratic processes instead of working on the shadows of democracy to achieve her ends.

sounds like a lot of the PCAD sympathizers could learn a lot from what this lady is saying also. eg

• Like 1

pretty much sums it up.

people still defending these groups have put their blind hatred of Thaksin above any common sense

II walk past almost daily as my office is on RamaIV. Till now I haven't felt any insecurity. Mind you, I'm also not (trying to) remove barricades, walk around armed, drive around at night and so.

With the other anti-government protesters It was different. Those grenade attacks were aimed at non-red-shirts and luckily I passed Dusit to BTS Saladaeng a few hours before grenades rained down.

• Like 1

Not condoning guards behavior at all, but few issues do pop into my head

1. Mother has returned the money? So she initially accepted the money and now changed her mind?

2. With the amount of attacks on anti gov camp, you can see why guards would over react seeing someone dismantling road cones

3. When asked if she would settle out of court, mother refused to comment because she has appointed lawyer already? this is in total contradiction to what she said earlier as earlier she stated she did not care about money and only wanted those responsible prosecuted,

If i had to guess, larger sum of money is being sought here and in my opinion, much larger sum should be paid, as 50 000 hardly covers decent hospital bill, not to mention pain and suffering

• Like 2

Well done on her behalf. Following the legal process to seek justice. She didn't blow anything up, she didn't intimidate anyone, she didn't throw sh*t at the PDRC. She is following proper procedures through the courts which is her democratic right.

​Bravo. The red shirts and the PTP could learn a lot from this women who uses democratic processes instead of working on the shadows of democracy to achieve her ends.

sounds like a lot of the PCAD sympathizers could learn a lot from what this lady is saying also. eg

Nah, not what she is saying though they are wise words what, with the grenades the red shirts are throwing at the site and all. Even the American ambassador admitted the PDRC rallies are peaceful. It is internationally recognized as peaceful. Of course I would not go near their sites either in fear of a grenade being lobbed at me.

I was highlighting her wonderful democratic example of seeking justice through the democratic processes instead of well…….lobbing grenades to make a point or intimidating.

Well done to her and a great example to set.

Edited by djjamie

1. Mother has returned the money? So she initially accepted the money and now changed her mind?

2. With the amount of attacks on anti gov camp, you can see why guards would over react seeing someone dismantling road cones

3. When asked if she would settle out of court, mother refused to comment because she has appointed lawyer already? this is in total contradiction to what she said earlier as earlier she stated she did not care about money and only wanted those responsible prosecuted,

If i had to guess, larger sum of money is being sought here and in my opinion, much larger sum should be paid, as 50 000 hardly covers decent hospital bill, not to mention pain and suffering

Doesn't mean she received the money, normally would be sent with a representative/lawyer from the other side, and can be turned down without "accepting".

The guards may have reasons for being jumpy, but that doesn't matter much to the injured party. The guards have no jurisdiction and their actions are quite probably illegal.

Refusing to comment about future legal proceedings shows she got some decent legal advise from her lawyer, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 2

Nah, not what she is saying though they are wise words what, with the grenades the red shirts are throwing at the site and all. Even the American ambassador admitted the PDRC rallies are peaceful. It is internationally recognized as peaceful. Of course I would not go near their sites either in fear of a grenade being lobbed at me.

I was highlighting her wonderful democratic example of seeking justice through the democratic processes instead of well…….lobbing grenades to make a point or intimidating.

Well done to her and a great example to set.

well that's obviously not the intent of her claims. i certainly wouldn't be hiring you a defence lawyer anytime soon. ill give you points for a deflection. 0.5 points.

• Like 2

Doesn't mean she received the money, normally would be sent with a representative/lawyer from the other side, and can be turned down without "accepting".

The guards may have reasons for being jumpy, but that doesn't matter much to the injured party. The guards have no jurisdiction and their actions are quite probably illegal.

Refusing to comment about future legal proceedings shows she got some decent legal advise from her lawyer, nothing more nothing less.

Speaking to reporters in a pres conference at the police station, Col. Witthawat's mother Bang-onrat Wattanakul said she has returned the compensation money to the PCAD through the army staff because her son's life "cannot be bought with money".

Does not mean she did not receive the money

I wonder who paid for the lawyer and suggested the lawyer

This must be a mistake, the courts said they were unarmed and peaceful. And can we stop calling that thug a monk, it is insulting to real Buddhists

Can we stop with this immature name calling? Can we also stop to pretend to understand what a 'real' Buddhist is and would think?

The Buddha explicitly closed down any discussion on politics as not relevant to the Buddhist path. These are the theravada scriptures, the ones Thai monks live by.

This monk is a fake one, a thugish one, and an absolute disgrace to Thai buddhism

95% of Thai Buddhists follow the Theravada school it seems. Not sure the Buddha really cared about politics though.

Anyway, we are talking about democratic anti-government protests which have been heavily politicised since the Yingluck government pushed through their blanket amnesty bill (which just by chance covered their first two years of governing as well).

So, back to civil conduct, pleasewai.gif

BTW

"Buddhism in Thailand is largely of the Theravada school. Nearly 95% of Thailand's population is Buddhist of the Theravada school, though Buddhism in this country has become integrated with folk beliefs[1] as well as Chinese religions from the large Thai-Chinese population"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_in_Thailand

Edited by rubl