How many 30 day "Visa on arrivals" can you get these days?

I am an EU citizen who works in the Gulf (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, generally) and has a holiday home in Jomtien. Rather than go back home between jobs, I was hoping to spend my holidays in Thailand.

It used to be a rule that you could not spend more than 180 days in Thailand with visa on arrival, but it didn't matter how many times you entered and exited by air.

Has this changed now? I keep hearing stories of things being "tightened up"

I won't be doing "Visa runs" I'lll be away from Thailand for weeks at a time, flying back and forward to Qatar.

Thanks

EDIT: I mean 30 days Visa exemptions, not Visa on arrival.

Edited by Jajazazajaja

There is no limit to the number of of visa exempt entries you can get by flying in.

But there are limits of the number of back to back entries you can do at many border crossings.

• Like 1

it has been a while but, if i remember rightly, it was you couldn't be in thailand more than 90

days of the last 180 days.. 180 days from the current date...so you had to spend at least

half your time OUT of thailand. no limit on how many times you re-entered 'cept the number

or pages in your passport.

now, that said, i don't know if that restriction (90 of 180) days still applies.

i'm on a retirement visa now so it doesn't apply to me.

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it

It is the same at all border crossings. Since November 1st of last year those from the G7 countries get 30 days at a border crossings. There are also others that get more than 15 days because their country has a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

• Like 1

To clarify, if one is in the air and getting visa exempt entries regularly and then tries a land crossing, is there a risk of being denied?

No risk at all of being denied a border entry. They only count the number of back to back border entries.

To clarify, if one is in the air and getting visa exempt entries regularly and then tries a land crossing, is there a risk of being denied?

No risk at all of being denied a border entry. They only count the number of back to back border entries.

By back to back border entries, you mean land crossing entries? Sorry for being thick.

Scenario - fly in and out of BKK internationally sometimes twice a week, for sure been in the country more than 90 days in the last 180. No problem by air but was thinking of crossing by land up north for some tourism... Better to not risk and just fly to Laos?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

By back to back border entries, you mean land crossing entries? Sorry for being thick.

Scenario - fly in and out of BKK internationally sometimes twice a week, for sure been in the country more than 90 days in the last 180. No problem by air but was thinking of crossing by land up north for some tourism... Better to not risk and just fly to Laos?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A border crossing is a land crossing not by air, There is no 90 days in 180 days rule.

Don't worry about it you will not have a problem as I said before. But unless you are from a G7 country or one with a bilateral agreement you will only get 15 days.

But some Border crossings now seem to issue 30 days, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency. Can anyone throw more light on the subject?

Yes, this is Thailand, and there isn't much consistency, different border crossings have different rules, some will give 30 days to certain countries, the rules say they should, but at the end of the day they just do what they like. TiT.

Does anyone happen to know if a New Zealander gets 15 or 30 days at a land border crossing?

You get 15 days. Only those from the G7 countries get 30 days.

If the OP doesn't do research, for sure he wants to know the countries under G7.

Does anyone happen to know if a New Zealander gets 15 or 30 days at a land border crossing?

If the OP doesn't do research, for sure he wants to know the countries under G7.

Do you know them?

US, Canada, Japan, UK, France, Italy, and Germany.

Last month I crossed the border with Malaysia at the Sadao border crossing. That was my third time in a row. Upon coming back nex time, the immigration lady kindly informed me that I'd have to have a visa, any kind of visa would do. I'm American, that was my third time crossing the same border checkpoint. The immigration lady told me that only three stamps are allowed, and that I wouldn't be allowed in again unless I had a visa.

Last month I crossed the border with Malaysia at the Sadao border crossing. That was my third time in a row. Upon coming back nex time, the immigration lady kindly informed me that I'd have to have a visa, any kind of visa would do. I'm American, that was my third time crossing the same border checkpoint. The immigration lady told me that only three stamps are allowed, and that I wouldn't be allowed in again unless I had a visa.

I was getting a visa run setup and I was asked specifically how many times I have done a visa run at Ranong. They had a client from the UK just complain about having a problem because it was his 3rd or 4th time crossing the border.

I think it will be my 4th time since the non-o expired a few months back. We'll see what happens. Seems like they did initiate a crackdown of some kind.

BTW, does the count reset just by using another border?

I was getting a visa run setup and I was asked specifically how many times I have done a visa run at Ranong. They had a client from the UK just complain about having a problem because it was his 3rd or 4th time crossing the border.

I think it will be my 4th time since the non-o expired a few months back. We'll see what happens. Seems like they did initiate a crackdown of some kind.

BTW, does the count reset just by using another border?

With this being your 4th back to back visa exempt entry, you will not be allowed out of Thailand at Ranong, they are now having a crackdown on Visa Exempt Entries there.

There have been reports of subsequent success for those with 3x back to back from Ranong then going to Sadao.

At least by this route you are not stranded like you would be in Kawthaung (Burma) and can proceed to Penang to get a Tourist Visa if necessary.

• Like 1

I just did my 6th at Poipet 2 days ago. When I was leaving Thailand the immigration officer looked through my passport and said that I should get a visa because if they are "serious" when I am going back I could have problems. This was the first time anyone said anything.

Then when I was entering Thailand an hour later the officer scanned my passport and stamped me in (30 days) without saying anything. Took maybe 1 minute. He didn't even look at any pages but the front and the one he stamped. I do always carry an E-ticket with me for a flight out in 5-6 days hoping I could at least get 7 days if there are any problems so I have time to fly home.

That said I am getting a visa for next time. I've been warned and really do not wish to get sent back to Poipet. That hour or two I spend there is more then enough :)

• Like 1

Do you know them?

US, Canada, Japan, UK, France, Italy, and Germany.

thumbsup.gif

Recalling several posts about the issue. It appears to be 4 in the north, 3 in the south and east (Cambodia) and 4 in the northeast.

I suggest nobody count on being able to do unlimited back to back border crossings anywhere in the country.

Just go out for a visa instead of taking the chance.

Back to back VEs are definitely being cracked down upon and not just at the borders. The above happened to me today at Phuket airport, I did 1 30 day VE at ranong in March (I went there to get my 3rd and final tourist visa 60 day entry stamp but arrived a day after the visa utilisation expiry date, my own fault! First and last time i'll make that mistake), and my 2nd VE 30 day entry at phuket airport in April. Today was my third and final VE entry before I leave for the UK in 3 weeks, but regardless the supervisor who I was sent to see made it 100% clear that I would be unable to do another VE next month and would be denied entry unless I had a visa.

Edited by B1ade

I'm due to go on a visa run from BKK either tomorrow or Friday.

I have about 6 back to back 30 day visa exempt stamps from the same border after my double entry ran out at the end of last year.

I've met guys on the visa run (Phillipinos, Vietnamese, Malaysians and the odd farang) who have been doing them every 2 weeks / 30 days for 1-2 years without issue.

Guess I will delay until Friday and tomorrow print off a flight itinerary that shows me leaving the country within the next 30 days + proof I have funds to support myself from back home just in case there's any problem, might help.

My thinking is that if you go with a visa run company (which I do) they have some sort of deal with the border to let things slide. Whether that will make any difference if there's pressure from above then I've no idea.

Ever heard of anyone just flat out not being allowed back into the country after already being stamped out??

Last thing anyone wants is being stranded at some shitty border area.

So I did a visa run without hassle. Not a problem.

From talking to the company they haven't heard of anyone having any problems at the Cambodia border.

Some people on my run had passports full of 30 day stamps.

Which crossing? There are five.

So I did a visa run without hassle. Not a problem.

From talking to the company they haven't heard of anyone having any problems at the Cambodia border.

Some people on my run had passports full of 30 day stamps.

Not likely that they will obtain another after today !!