Lightning in Rayong kills three, injures one

webfact

Lightning in Rayong kills three, injures one
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Three men were killed and one seriously injured after they were allegedly hit by lightening while sheltering from rain in a rice field shack in Rayong's Ban Khai district yesterday afternoon. They were reportedly using cellphones at the time of the incident.

Police rushed to the scene in tambon Nong La Lok upon receiving a report at 3pm and found the bodies of Supachok Prachuapsuk, 18, and Chatchapol Na-in, 17. Wittaya Khomkham, 46, and Winai Wongamaneesai, 36, were rushed to Ban Khai Hospital with serious injuries, and Wittaya succumbed to them later. Police also found two mobile phones at the scene.

Initial investigation showed that the four men were fishing in the area when heavy rain prompted them to seek shelter in the shack. Supachok was reportedly using his mobile when the shack was hit by lightening.

Meanwhile, at least three electricity poles at a stadium in Ayutthaya's Muang district toppled over as a storm rage through the area for two hours and hit three vehicles parked in the area. Two sedans belonged to Ayutthaya Football Club staff members. Nobody was injured.

Separately, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Department of Drainage and Sewerage director Adisak Khantiprepared said yesterday that the city had made preparations to tackle flooding, especially in the 24 flood-prone areas. The BMA has also asked for funds to buy 5 million sandbags to be used as flood barriers and 75 water pumps.

In related news, slippery road surface from heavy rains caused a six-vehicle pile-up yesterday afternoon in Prachuap Khiri Khan's Bang Saphan Noi district. Nobody was hurt. However, in the same district yesterday a pick-up truck - braving the inclement weather - crashed into a roadside tree, killing the driver and front-seat passenger and wounding another person in the car.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-07

• Like 1

The TG brought this up this morning and used it as absolute proof that using a cell phone during a lightning storm is what caused the lightening to hit

She doesn't take much comfort in the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) report that states:

lightning is not attracted to people carrying mobile phones.

“Cell phones, small metal items, jewelry, etc., do not attract lightning. Nothing attracts lightning. Lightning tends to strike taller objects,” said John Jensenius, a NOAA National Weather Service lightning expert.

“People are struck because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. The wrong place is anywhere outside. The wrong time is anytime a thunderstorm is nearby.”

The concern that mobile phones attract lightning was first raised a number of years ago in an internet hoax and is now a recognised urban myth.

source: http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7556/1513.3?tab=responses

;

• Like 1

Lightening is the present participle of the verb "to lighten," and refers to the process of making something lighter in color. Lightening is the opposite of darkening, or making something darker.

Lightning is a noun – it refers to the meteorological phenomenon that is followed by thunder.

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/lightening-vs-lightning/

Read the headline and thought that these people had been died after overdoing the very popular whitening creams.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Lightening is the present participle of the verb "to lighten," and refers to the process of making something lighter in color. Lightening is the opposite of darkening, or making something darker.

Lightning is a noun – it refers to the meteorological phenomenon that is followed by thunder.

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/blog/english-mistakes/lightening-vs-lightning/

Yes, yes, we all know that, and we don't need another English tutorial from you on here.

Oh dear! back to English lessons for The Nation - but seems par for the course.

Oh dear, as if it matters, but par for the course that some posters insist on pedantically pointing English language errors made by Thai language speakers.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for the losses families and friends of the three.

On a side note...why the mention of them using cell phones? Has it been proven somehow that lightning follows cell phone signals? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants...just trying to understand.

On a side note...why the mention of them using cell phones? Has it been proven somehow that lightning follows cell phone signals? I'm not trying to be a smarty pants...just trying to understand.

Then read post # 4 if you really want to understand

How come so many "teachers" in Thailand?

If i hear "english" people ,they are difficult to understand.Unless they speak the same dialect as yourself ?

They swallow half there words and you surely cant hear the difference between "ligh...in" and "ligh....n" .

Are there no "english" teachers left in England ?

There is a big work to be done .

Maybe some teachers of Pakistan or India would do a good job,their English is very understandable ,they probably learned it out of a book

and never saw an "english" teacher ,who learned them to swallow half words?

I ope i noh offent o-ther fooks,i juh me thoughs .coffee1.gif

mobile phone or tin roof on the shed?

My money is on tin roof on the shed.

The wife just showed me pictures from a Thai news site and it's not a tin roof, it's a wooden frame with what looks like some sort of fibre board roof. She also told me that people here are scared of mobile phones attracting lightning so won't talk on them during a thunderstorm.

If any of you have metal roofs and brick or wood walls then you can have a discharge without actually being struck by lightning, it charges up like a capacitor then discharges when the potential is high enough so it should be earthed.

No Mobiles, umbrellas, standing under a tree (Or wooden shack!)

Yes wear Rubber Wellies or Trainers/Sneekers (with rubber soles)

Rubber will not help you at all. It`s a myth that it`s the tires that prevent you

from getting hurt in a car. It`s in fact the metal that leads the lightning away

from you. If you sit in a fiberglass car, or a cabriolet, you are just vulnerable

as if you stood on the ground.

About mobile phones and mp3 players:

A resent story claimed that the cord going from the head and down to the

cellphone in the pocket, lead the lightning outside the body, away from the

heart, and saved a girls life.

Anyway, stay away from any high freestanding objects like light poles, masts,

"lonly" trees. Seeking shelter in the woods is not concidered dangerous. Just

don`t stand under the tallest tree ;) You should seek cover before it`s 30

seconds from you see lightning and you hear the boom. Stay there until it`s

gone away by more than 30 seconds between again. Wherever you seek

shelter, do not tuch elecrtonics or metal that are connected to the outside.

(radio in the car, landline phones, shower, sink and so on...)

If there are nowhere to hide, it`s said that you can feel the hear raising

just before it strikes, if so, crouch down. Do not lay flat on the ground as

this will connect you to larger ground surface. If you can, get to lower

ground as soon as possible.

While writing I found the story about the girl. It was an iPod (mp3), not a

cellphone, but guess the lightning dosn`t care to call first anyway ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/06/19/girl-ipod-saves-her-life-during-lightning-strike/

Cheers :)

If you're hit by lightening, you won't need whitening.

lightning will find the closest easiest path to ground from it's point of origin or charge build up, if these guys were in a hut in a field that had a metal roof and frame then this would most like provide the easiest path to ground from a charge build up above them

If there had been tall trees in the immediate area (say within 50m) they may have been saved as the lightning charge could have chosen an easier path, it all depends on the source or exact location of the charge build up and what is directly below it providing the least resistive path to ground - a metal framed hut could still be the easiest path compaired to a nearby tall tree, if the lightning choses the metal hut then the guys inside are going to get hurt especially if they are touching the frame

A car offers protection not because of the tyres being an insulator but the exact opposite as they contain carbon - the car shell earthed with the tyres offers good protection and the reason this is different than the tin hut is because in a car you are not touching the ground so offering no path for the current to travel - the guys in the hut were likely standing or at least touching the ground with their feet

I remember a digger driver years ago having a high tension cable fall onto the metal of his JCB, he was fine until he attempted to get out of the vehicle, as soon as his foot touched the ground he was electrocuted

Edited by smedly

Thanks....should have caught that post. So that explains why so many of my wife's relatives run around taking the batteries out of their cell phones whenever there is lightning!

Thanks....should have caught that post. So that explains why so many of my wife's relatives run around taking the batteries out of their cell phones whenever there is lightning!

you should have seen them running from me when I used my phones camera with flash on - they were getting quite angry believing that the flash would attract the lightning......seriously

Not the phone, not the tin roof on the shed...

But what about the graphite fishing rods they were using...Ah Ha

Mystery solved thanks again to FD&S.

This is how it went down. Four guys fishing each with a long rod. Rain storm arrived and they ran to the shed, leaned their rods against its roof, then ran inside for shelter. The lightening, lighting, lightning, phar lap then struck one, or all of the rods.

The ensuing investigation was conducted by muppets who concluded it was their mobile phones. Bad mobile phones..bad..bad...

Big shame for the owner of the paddy,they won't be able to fish or farm the land now because of the ghosts...

http://www.livescience.com/843-cell-phones-increase-risk-death-lightning-doctors-claim.html

No Mobiles, umbrellas, standing under a tree (Or wooden shack!)

Yes wear Rubber Wellies or Trainers/Sneekers (with rubber soles)

Sure, rubber wellies or trainers will slow down a few million volts for about 1billionth of a nanosecond.

Off topic I suspect but when it comes to English spelling I find it incongruous that the British Embassy's agents for passport renewals, ensconced in Trendy Building, that says it all, cannot spell and find it difficult to put a letter together. A good advertisement for the home of English, English?