Thai cabinet appoints new PM: minister

webfact

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand must be a member of the House of Representatives.[2] Therefore the qualifications for the office is the same as the qualifications for the House.

To be appointed the nominee for the office must have the support of one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Then after a simple-majority vote in the House, a resolution will be passed and submitted to the King, who will then make a formal appointment by giving his royal assent to the resolution. This must be done within thirty days of the beginning of the first session of the House of Representatives after an election. If no candidate can be found within this time then it is the duty of the President of the National Assembly of Thailand to submit the name considered most worthy for the King to formalize.

The nominee and eventual Prime Minister is always the leader of the largest political party in the lower house or the leader of the majority coalition formed after an election.

BOOM!!!

Edited by WoopyDoo

Just another Shin fanboy to remove from office... PTP keep rolling them out, and the courts will keep taking them down.

3 Shin's have been removed in recent history... Another one won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thaksin

Somchai

Yingluck

Surapong

Samak

Now if only the other 4 would kick the bucket, this place would be back to paradise!

• Like 1

The Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand must be a member of the House of Representatives.[2] Therefore the qualifications for the office is the same as the qualifications for the House.

To be appointed the nominee for the office must have the support of one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Then after a simple-majority vote in the House, a resolution will be passed and submitted to the King, who will then make a formal appointment by giving his royal assent to the resolution. This must be done within thirty days of the beginning of the first session of the House of Representatives after an election. If no candidate can be found within this time then it is the duty of the President of the National Assembly of Thailand to submit the name considered most worthy for the King to formalize.

The nominee and eventual Prime Minister is always the leader of the largest political party in the lower house or the leader of the majority coalition formed after an election.

its all interesting but surely you are not the only one here with this info - meaning, why isn't there anything in the English Media about the legitimacy of this appointment?

Perfect fit.

Lied to the farmers on the 6th of January promising they would all be paid within one month.

Lied to the people on the 13th of October last hear about Chinese rice deals.

Attacked the World Bank for telling the truth about the rice scheme by lying to the world bank.

Blamed the media for inflation. (This is a crucial PTP trait. Blaming others for their own short falls)

Chairman of the Executive Committee-Media and Advertising Business of Shin Corp.

This man has all he traits required to head the PTP including the most crucial being the solid link to the unelectable, accused mass murderer, accused terrorist, convicted criminal fugitive, thaksin.

Should not take too long for him to break the law either then.

​BTW - For the members that crave facts I have put links in. For the members that require 3 or more links about the same fact because they don't trust just one link (unless it in favor of the regime) and to the other members that require documents, statements and other unattainable evidence that they do not require when the "fact" is in favor of the regime. This is what I have to say to you.

Can you name the 15 principles of democracy? That always shuts you up!!!

So you don't like Thaksin and his party. Neither do I much, but then I'm not Thai. However, if your idea of democracy means disenfranchising those Thai people who do feel, rightly or wrongly, that Thaksin's party represents their interests you might want to stop trying to provoke those who believe in democracy with your futile questions, as it's really not very complicated. You remind me of the silly Bangkok Post letter writer, J.C. Wilcox who also continues to beat this drum to no effect.

Can't name them heay?

I can Google them. But it's irrelevant to Thailand. Thailand's fledgling democracy is not complete and yes, reforms need to take place. But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic. End of.

• Like 1

So you don't like Thaksin and his party. Neither do I much, but then I'm not Thai. However, if your idea of democracy means disenfranchising those Thai people who do feel, rightly or wrongly, that Thaksin's party represents their interests you might want to stop trying to provoke those who believe in democracy with your futile questions, as it's really not very complicated. You remind me of the silly Bangkok Post letter writer, J.C. Wilcox who also continues to beat this drum to no effect.

Disenfrachising? The Thai people can elect whoever they want. What YOU have to understand is that does not give the elected person immunity from prosecution when they commit crimes in office.

Disenfrachising? The Thai people can elect whoever they want. What YOU have to understand is that does not give the elected person immunity from prosecution when they commit crimes in office.

Perfect fit.

Lied to the farmers on the 6th of January promising they would all be paid within one month.

Lied to the people on the 13th of October last hear about Chinese rice deals.

Attacked the World Bank for telling the truth about the rice scheme by lying to the world bank.

Blamed the media for inflation. (This is a crucial PTP trait. Blaming others for their own short falls)

Chairman of the Executive Committee-Media and Advertising Business of Shin Corp.

This man has all he traits required to head the PTP including the most crucial being the solid link to the unelectable, accused mass murderer, accused terrorist, convicted criminal fugitive, thaksin.

Should not take too long for him to break the law either then.

​BTW - For the members that crave facts I have put links in. For the members that require 3 or more links about the same fact because they don't trust just one link (unless it in favor of the regime) and to the other members that require documents, statements and other unattainable evidence that they do not require when the "fact" is in favor of the regime. This is what I have to say to you.

Can you name the 15 principles of democracy? That always shuts you up!!!

Can't name them heay?

I can Google them. But it's irrelevant to Thailand. Thailand's fledgling democracy is not complete and yes, reforms need to take place. But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic. End of.

• Like 1

But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic. End of.

True.

But equally, to assume that a popular mandate gives you the right to do anything you please in government, including embezzling $10billion+ of the people's money in a so-called rice pledging scheme, is also anti-democratic.

Neither of the two sides understands how democracy should work. Worse, neither side cares.

• Like 2

interesting that the cabinet can appoint a PM

They are the only remaining members of the lower house - anyone else would be anti-democratic.

Actually some MPs upon being appointed in the cabinet relinquished their seat to allow the next in the party list to become MP. Not sure about the people remaining in the cabinet though. I think at least k. Nattawut retained his seat, probably because it offered him better protection through parliamentary immunity.

its all interesting but surely you are not the only one here with this info - meaning, why isn't there anything in the English Media about the legitimacy of this appointment?

This is public knowledge that the PM has to be an MP... You can't have a PM who did not get chosen by the electorate to at least represent their constituency... let alone the entire country.

Dunno why it hasn't been picked up by the media yet.... maybe they are still all clamouring for comments from the EX ministers and Yingluck.

But it has been tweeted in a few places... Eventually it will be picked up and expanded on from there one legal challenges are made.

One tweet was from a prominent PDRC leader... So is only a matter of time.

They may have picked him as he is also hanging by a thread from the NACC case, and want to show a second PM being removed by the courts.... For the sake of riling up their supporters.

It would not surprise me in the slightest.

But the main fact is.... the PTP have no right to install a PM that couldn't even get elected as an MP.

The country is in caretaker mode and with only half a cabinet, the rest of PTP becoming obsolete back in December.... They are no longer anything to do with the government.... how come they have been able to supply one of its members as the new PM???

There is NOTHING in the constitution to say the cabinet (albeit half) have the authority to choose a replacement PM.... The Senate is the organic route under these circumstances.

This in my opinion is flawed and unconstitutional on two points and don't be surprised to see this reversed....

I seriously can't see an illegally appointed replacement being sent to the king for endorsement.

Edited by WoopyDoo
  • Like 1

Niwatthamrong appointed acting prime minister

niwat-2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet appointed caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisarn as acting prime minister to replace Ms Yingluck Shinawatra who was removed from the office as a result of the Constitutional Court’s ruling.

Caretaker deputy prime minister Pongthep Thepkanchana said Mr Niwatthamrong will assume the role of acting prime minister until there is a new government after the election.

He said he had assigned the Council of State to seek clarification from the Constitutional Court regarding its ruling to remove the prime minister and nine cabinet ministers from their offices in connection with the transfer of Mr Thawil Pliensri two years ago.

Also, he added that the Council of State would ask for explanation from the court regarding the fate of some ministers who used to serve in the cabinet which was involved in the transfer of Mr Thawil and is now back to the incumbent cabinet.

Mr Pongthep went on to say that the government would meet with the Election Commission this Saturday to discuss preparations for the next election.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/niwatthamrong-appointed-acting-prime-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-07

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He seems to be not that bad but also very closely linked to Shin Corp. The Democrats hoped that the whole cabinet will be fired, thanks Buddha this didn't happened.

Congratulation Khun Niwattumrong.

that will come with the rice...next.

Maybe the current PM will be impeached including a few other cabinet ministers but PTP has hundreds of officials lined up.

The CC will not dismiss the whole cabinet as they have to deal with Suthep People's Congress.

But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic. End of.

True.

But equally, to assume that a popular mandate gives you the right to do anything you please in government, including embezzling $10billion+ of the people's money in a so-called rice pledging scheme, is also anti-democratic.

Neither of the two sides understands how democracy should work. Worse, neither side cares.

You're accusations are unproven.

Where are the PTP convictions for corruption

Where are the statistical spikes in global rankings indicating increased corruption under PTP.

Nada, Nil, Zip, Zilch, Zero

Baseless rumours and slander is all you got - which is effectively nothing.

You and your kind are the sort of bozos the Nigerian email scammers love to get in touch with.

Gullible, ignorant and intellectually inadequate.

You all somehow think that your prejudices, bigotry and biased ill-conceived opinions somehow trump facts, reason and logic.

They don't!

Thais will vote again, Reds will win again - the last 6 months were nothing but an expensive and inconvenient waste of time for all.

Thailands' immediate future will be guided by Thaksin and his proxies not 300 year old diaper wearing failed dictators and generals

The people own the country now.

• Like 2

This is public knowledge that the PM has to be an MP... You can't have a PM who did not get chosen by the electorate to at least represent their constituency... let alone the entire country.

I think you may not be correct ?

There are also party-list MPs, wasn't former-PM (lovely words) Yingluck a PTP party-list MP, so not actually chosen by any one constituency ?