Thai cabinet appoints new PM: minister

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He seems to be not that bad but also very closely linked to Shin Corp. The Democrats hoped that the whole cabinet will be fired, thanks Buddha this didn't happened.

Congratulation Khun Niwattumrong.

that will come with the rice...next.

Maybe the current PM will be impeached including a few other cabinet ministers but PTP has hundreds of officials lined up.

The CC will not dismiss the whole cabinet as they have to deal with Suthep People's Congress.

No but the PTP have come out in response with the defaming comment that they believe the CC has conspired to overthrow democracy..... That in itself can lead to their entire dissolution.... The Suthep gets his 'appointed' government and Thaksin loses...... once again due to their own stupidity.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting that the cabinet can appoint a PM

Indeed, now we are entering the sunlit uplands I thought it would be Sutheps job!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

so is this guy primarily red or yellow

Neither, he's a former Shinawatra employee. As Minister of Commerce also good with rice price pledging schemes and explaining how much money that made.

Indeed, now we are entering the sunlit uplands I thought it would be Sutheps job!

I thought is was the leader of the Senate or somesuch.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

He seems to be not that bad but also very closely linked to Shin Corp. The Democrats hoped that the whole cabinet will be fired, thanks Buddha this didn't happened.

Congratulation Khun Niwattumrong.

that will come with the rice...next.

Maybe the current PM will be impeached including a few other cabinet ministers but PTP has hundreds of officials lined up.

The CC will not dismiss the whole cabinet as they have to deal with Suthep People's Congress.

No but the PTP have come out in response with the defaming comment that they believe the CC has conspired to overthrow democracy..... That in itself can lead to their entire dissolution.... The Suthep gets his 'appointed' government and Thaksin loses...... once again due to their own stupidity.

Chill out.

Your big win at the CC today is but musical chairs at the PTP, so I can understand your deflation at this point. Starting rumors however is bad form and definitely inadvisable.

This is your basic ordinary news day in Thailand so just go with the flow.

So with Yingluck out, Chalerm gone and Surapong sidelined, who are you guys going to rag and hammer on?

The new guy, Niwatt, looks pretty harmless, natty, comfortable in public and all around smooth.

You and your guys at the PDRC have a whole new set of problems now. laugh.png

• Like 2

Perfect fit.

Lied to the farmers on the 6th of January promising they would all be paid within one month.

Lied to the people on the 13th of October last hear about Chinese rice deals.

Attacked the World Bank for telling the truth about the rice scheme by lying to the world bank.

Blamed the media for inflation. (This is a crucial PTP trait. Blaming others for their own short falls)

Chairman of the Executive Committee-Media and Advertising Business of Shin Corp.

This man has all he traits required to head the PTP including the most crucial being the solid link to the unelectable, accused mass murderer, accused terrorist, convicted criminal fugitive, thaksin.

Should not take too long for him to break the law either then.

​BTW - For the members that crave facts I have put links in. For the members that require 3 or more links about the same fact because they don't trust just one link (unless it in favor of the regime) and to the other members that require documents, statements and other unattainable evidence that they do not require when the "fact" is in favor of the regime. This is what I have to say to you.

Can you name the 15 principles of democracy? That always shuts you up!!!

So you don't like Thaksin and his party. Neither do I much, but then I'm not Thai. However, if your idea of democracy means disenfranchising those Thai people who do feel, rightly or wrongly, that Thaksin's party represents their interests you might want to stop trying to provoke those who believe in democracy with your futile questions, as it's really not very complicated. You remind me of the silly Bangkok Post letter writer, J.C. Wilcox who also continues to beat this drum to no effect.

Can't name them heay?

I can Google them. But it's irrelevant to Thailand. Thailand's fledgling democracy is not complete and yes, reforms need to take place. But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic. End of.

But to deny citizens a vote is anti-democratic.

This fascination with elections. I was not talking about elections.

The PTP breaking the other 14 principles is anti democratic too!!! So what is more democratic? Someone that respects 1 principle of democracy so they can abuse the other 14 principles or a person that wants to hold off on 1 principle of democracy so the remainder are not abused?

But that is off topic now. I was talking about the suitability of the above person in the role as PM though and going by his CV he is perfect. 1/15th perfect!!!

The Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand must be a member of the House of Representatives.%5B2%5D Therefore the qualifications for the office is the same as the qualifications for the House.

To be appointed the nominee for the office must have the support of one-fifth of the members of the House of Representatives. Then after a simple-majority vote in the House, a resolution will be passed and submitted to the King, who will then make a formal appointment by giving his royal assent to the resolution. This must be done within thirty days of the beginning of the first session of the House of Representatives after an election. If no candidate can be found within this time then it is the duty of the President of the National Assembly of Thailand to submit the name considered most worthy for the King to formalize.

The nominee and eventual Prime Minister is always the leader of the largest political party in the lower house or the leader of the majority coalition formed after an election.

its all interesting but surely you are not the only one here with this info - meaning, why isn't there anything in the English Media about the legitimacy of this appointment?

This is public knowledge that the PM has to be an MP... You can't have a PM who did not get chosen by the electorate to at least represent their constituency... let alone the entire country.

Dunno why it hasn't been picked up by the media yet.... maybe they are still all clamouring for comments from the EX ministers and Yingluck.

But it has been tweeted in a few places... Eventually it will be picked up and expanded on from there one legal challenges are made.

One tweet was from a prominent PDRC leader... So is only a matter of time.

They may have picked him as he is also hanging by a thread from the NACC case, and want to show a second PM being removed by the courts.... For the sake of riling up their supporters.

It would not surprise me in the slightest.

But the main fact is.... the PTP have no right to install a PM that couldn't even get elected as an MP.

The country is in caretaker mode and with only half a cabinet, the rest of PTP becoming obsolete back in December.... They are no longer anything to do with the government.... how come they have been able to supply one of its members as the new PM???

There is NOTHING in the constitution to say the cabinet (albeit half) have the authority to choose a replacement PM.... The Senate is the organic route under these circumstances.

This in my opinion is flawed and unconstitutional on two points and don't be surprised to see this reversed....

I seriously can't see an illegally appointed replacement being sent to the king for endorsement.

In the judgement the CC said that they did not have the power to appoint a new PM - therefore they have already given consideration to who does have that power!

They also said that the cabinet holds power until a new cabinet is formed - I do not think they said after an election

SO?

Edited by issanaus
  • Like 1

This is public knowledge that the PM has to be an MP... You can't have a PM who did not get chosen by the electorate to at least represent their constituency... let alone the entire country.

I think you may not be correct ?

There are also party-list MPs, wasn't former-PM (lovely words) Yingluck a PTP party-list MP, so not actually chosen by any one constituency ?

Well, according to the Thai constitution there are no MP's at the moment, as membership of the House of Representitives terminated for all MP's when it was disolved (Article 106). So at this point, no one can meet the requirement of being an MP (Article 172). So, the council of ministers who remain are continuing in their roles in caretaker status (Article 181). At the same time, I wonder if his "appointment" by the concil of ministers confers any real additional authority or responsibilities or is simply nominating him as the spokesman of the caretaker government until elections take place at some point in the future.

• Like 2

So; after the 14th who will be left to take over...the cleaner ?

The cleaner would probably still win in an election against the Democrats.

strange way of putting things.

Elections are not against democrats or even against the Democrat party. Furthermore the cleaner would need to be a member of a registered political party. Also strictly speaking any party which gets sufficient votes to get even a single seat 'wins'.

So, would you care to rephrase your sentence?

That doesn't say a lot for the underwhelming recent showing by the caretaker Prime Minister..... sorry, EX-caretaker Prime Minister.... at the last poll does it? And the Democrats didn't even turn up.

Edited by bigbamboo

Niwatthamrong appointed acting prime minister

niwat-2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet appointed caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisarn as acting prime minister to replace Ms Yingluck Shinawatra who was removed from the office as a result of the Constitutional Court’s ruling.

Caretaker deputy prime minister Pongthep Thepkanchana said Mr Niwatthamrong will assume the role of acting prime minister until there is a new government after the election.

He said he had assigned the Council of State to seek clarification from the Constitutional Court regarding its ruling to remove the prime minister and nine cabinet ministers from their offices in connection with the transfer of Mr Thawil Pliensri two years ago.

Also, he added that the Council of State would ask for explanation from the court regarding the fate of some ministers who used to serve in the cabinet which was involved in the transfer of Mr Thawil and is now back to the incumbent cabinet.

Mr Pongthep went on to say that the government would meet with the Election Commission this Saturday to discuss preparations for the next election.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/niwatthamrong-appointed-acting-prime-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-07

I think he is Thaksin's YES man.

Just another Shin fanboy to remove from office... PTP keep rolling them out, and the courts will keep taking them down.

3 Shin's have been removed in recent history... Another one won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the courts and corruption agencies actually took out the huge number of corrupt politicians, i think everyone would be very happy.

The issues arise when it appears the courts and agencies focus solely on one sides corruption, or more accurately one family.

In a land full of corrupt politicians, it is amazing that the only cases that actually advance to a decision are ones against that family.

I have no doubt they are guilty of corruption, but so are many of them. It would just make it easier for people to be happy with the verdicts if many of the countless other crooks were also investigated.

Statements not backed by facts.

Also the "I have no doubt they are guilty of corruption, but so are many of them." is an invalid argument.

Funny though that the blanket amnesty bill of Ms. Yingluck's government would cover the period from 2004 to 2013-08-09 and include all politically inspired corruption. Also as you can see, it included Ms. Yinglucks first two years in office.

For some to be ignored and back to blaming the others of course.

BTW many of the others are also under investigation, only once out of office criminal cases can take ages and still in office cannot even proceed.

• Like 2

Niwatthamrong appointed acting prime minister

niwat-2-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet appointed caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisarn as acting prime minister to replace Ms Yingluck Shinawatra who was removed from the office as a result of the Constitutional Court’s ruling.

Caretaker deputy prime minister Pongthep Thepkanchana said Mr Niwatthamrong will assume the role of acting prime minister until there is a new government after the election.

He said he had assigned the Council of State to seek clarification from the Constitutional Court regarding its ruling to remove the prime minister and nine cabinet ministers from their offices in connection with the transfer of Mr Thawil Pliensri two years ago.

Also, he added that the Council of State would ask for explanation from the court regarding the fate of some ministers who used to serve in the cabinet which was involved in the transfer of Mr Thawil and is now back to the incumbent cabinet.

Mr Pongthep went on to say that the government would meet with the Election Commission this Saturday to discuss preparations for the next election.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/niwatthamrong-appointed-acting-prime-minister/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-05-07

I think he is Thaksin's YES man.

As he's ex Shin Corp and Thaksin chose him I'd have to agree.

BTW, does that make him Acting Caretaker Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisarn?

That should give a few non Thai newsreaders nightmares!

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 2

That doesn't say a lot for the underwhelming recent showing by the caretaker Prime Minister..... sorry, EX-caretaker Prime Minister.... at the last poll does it? And the Democrats didn't even turn up.

It says all anyone might need to know about the Democrat Party which is the main point at this time.

Pheu Thai continues while the DP continues to falter.

Maybe it's different because it's a caretaker PM although it's possible that this is just the cabinet's view and it still has to be voted on by the party. I assume though that the MPs who would normally vote for the PM can't as they aren't MPs any more so the only ones left are the cabinet. I guess it will need royal approval though.

You do realize it was an appointed Senator, one of the gang of 40, that made the complaint about Thawils transfer, after the "old" cabinet had agreed to reinstate him.

Presumably not, judging by your irrelevant post about senator elections.

reinstall? First of all obviously they didn't reinstall him, so that agreement was also a lie. Second even if they would have reinstalled him, it is still abuse of power.

It's a bit like stealing my card and returning it two years later and expecting to be forgiven and not charged because you returned the car. Never going to happen.

The democrats might have won the battle but they are loosing the war. Yingluck contacted her self with dignity and respect, and gave the democrats all the rope necessary to hung them selves with,

Some times to win a chess game one has to sacrifice the queen.

Academic old bean - you forget, the Democrats don't do elections any more.

Academic old bean - you forget, the Democrats don't do elections any more.

Indeed. Only a rabid communist would claim that elections are somehow needed in a democracy. The Democrats prefer to focus on the other 14 principles of Democracy, whatever they are at the moment.

• Like 2

Pretty damn rediculouse, removing a PM like that..one swift kick in the balls for democracy . In Thailand

Yeah, complitily rediculouse!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by pmugghc
  • Like 1

dissapointed ? wink.pngclap2.gif

sounds a bit strange. Parliament and if there is none Senate would feel more logic to me.

Not sure what the rules of succession are in Thailand ?

In US for example it is very clearly laid out ... Is it the same in Thailand ?

In US... Foes to VP and then to Speaker of the House and then President pro tempore of the Senate...

Only after these, then it goes to other cabinet members...

First Secretary of State, then secretary of treasury then secretary of defense and so on and so one... As per below link

Does Thailand have no laws of succession? What if the PM dies? Does the cabinet have this power?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk