Thai cabinet appoints new PM: minister

webfact

interesting that the cabinet can appoint a PM

dissapointed ? wink.pngclap2.gif

sounds a bit strange. Parliament and if there is none Senate would feel more logic to me.

Well, no one has appointed a PM but rather a Caretaker PM.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't like Thaksin and his party. Neither do I much, but then I'm not Thai. However, if your idea of democracy means disenfranchising those Thai people who do feel, rightly or wrongly, that Thaksin's party represents their interests you might want to stop trying to provoke those who believe in democracy with your futile questions, as it's really not very complicated. You remind me of the silly Bangkok Post letter writer, J.C. Wilcox who also continues to beat this drum to no effect.

Disenfrachising? The Thai people can elect whoever they want. What YOU have to understand is that does not give the elected person immunity from prosecution when they commit crimes in office.

Legal issues are a fine reason as any to dissolve a government. Most posters, I think, will not argue that the PTP government was corrupt (rather on level of corruption).

That said, they represent a lot of voters. These voters were previously snubbed and ignored, and now they see "their" governments/parties going down one after another. Would be hard to market this as fair to them, bearing in mind the geared up propaganda they are exposed to. In that sense, would have been much better if only Yingluck was made to step down, as it would have made a distinction between the Shins and the PTP.

Bottom line is that this isn't necessarily about logic or reason. If people feel disenfranchised and believe they've been wronged, you can't just tell them "nah" and expect them to roll over.

Bottom line is that this isn't necessarily about logic or reason. If people feel disenfranchised and believe they've been wronged, you can't just tell them "nah" and expect them to roll over.

Especially when they have indeed been defrauded and disenfranchised. Repeatedly.

Edited by Mrgk

Academic old bean - you forget, the Democrats don't do elections any more.

Indeed. Only a rabid communist would claim that elections are somehow needed in a democracy. The Democrats prefer to focus on the other 14 principles of Democracy, whatever they are at the moment.

Better get googling, you know who will be along in a while to demand that you recite them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

interesting that the cabinet can appoint a PM

dissapointed ? wink.pngclap2.gif

sounds a bit strange. Parliament and if there is none Senate would feel more logic to me.

Not sure what the rules of succession are in Thailand ?

In US for example it is very clearly laid out ... Is it the same in Thailand ?

In US... Foes to VP and then to Speaker of the House and then President pro tempore of the Senate...

Only after these, then it goes to other cabinet members...

First Secretary of State, then secretary of treasury then secretary of defense and so on and so one... As per below link

Does Thailand have no laws of succession? What if the PM dies? Does the cabinet have this power?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the default setting is that the premiership reverts to Abhisit!

Certainly what happened last time the courts put the boot into the elected government.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

So you don't like Thaksin and his party. Neither do I much, but then I'm not Thai. However, if your idea of democracy means disenfranchising those Thai people who do feel, rightly or wrongly, that Thaksin's party represents their interests you might want to stop trying to provoke those who believe in democracy with your futile questions, as it's really not very complicated. You remind me of the silly Bangkok Post letter writer, J.C. Wilcox who also continues to beat this drum to no effect.

Disenfrachising? The Thai people can elect whoever they want. What YOU have to understand is that does not give the elected person immunity from prosecution when they commit crimes in office.

Legal issues are a fine reason as any to dissolve a government. Most posters, I think, will not argue that the PTP government was corrupt (rather on level of corruption).

That said, they represent a lot of voters. These voters were previously snubbed and ignored, and now they see "their" governments/parties going down one after another. Would be hard to market this as fair to them, bearing in mind the geared up propaganda they are exposed to. In that sense, would have been much better if only Yingluck was made to step down, as it would have made a distinction between the Shins and the PTP.

Would you, as a voter, not be offended by the people you voted in using that legitimacy to pursue their own private goals instead of working for the well being of the whole country? I would call that direspecting their votes.

Wow

.. so the Senate elections earlier this year were for the "APPOINTED " Senate .. how strange!

The Senate has appointed and elected Senators.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You do realize it was an appointed Senator, one of the gang of 40, that made the complaint about Thawils transfer, after the "old" cabinet had agreed to reinstate him.

Presumably not, judging by your irrelevant post about senator elections.

reinstall? First of all obviously they didn't reinstall him, so that agreement was also a lie. Second even if they would have reinstalled him, it is still abuse of power.

It's reinstate, not reinstall. You people are really beginning to pee me off. Do you not have the brains to check very carefully before you accuse people of telling lies?

Cabinet endorses Thawil’s reinstatement as the NSC chief

The cabinet today approved the revocation of its earlier resolution on September 6, 2012 which retro-actively reinstates Mr Thawil Pliensri as the secretary-general of the National Security Council.

The cabinet’s decision was in response to a ruling of the Supreme Administrative Court ordering the reinstatement of Mr Thawil replacing Lt-Gen Paradorn Patthanathabutr.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-endorses-thawils-reinstatement-nsc-chief/

Don't bother to apologise, none of you ever do, just post ream after ream of ill thought out, poorly researched, pap in lieu of intelligent posting.

• Like 1

Would you, as a voter, not be offended by the people you voted in using that legitimacy to pursue their own private goals instead of working for the well being of the whole country? I would call that direspecting their votes.

If I voted for a goverment that did what the PTP have done in just 2 years.... I would feel sick to my stomach, and I would never vote for them again....

However, the difference is that I have a very sound and solid education... the PTP voters historically don't have that luxury.... which is why they are constant targets for manipulation by the Thaksin regime.

Anyway.... I apologize for any typos..... I am pissed on wine and beer from my celebration party....... Happy days.

• Like 1

No but the PTP have come out in response with the defaming comment that they believe the CC has conspired to overthrow democracy..... That in itself can lead to their entire dissolution.... The Suthep gets his 'appointed' government and Thaksin loses...... once again due to their own stupidity.

"No but the PTP have come out in response with the defaming comment that they believe the CC has conspired to overthrow democracy..... That in itself can lead to their entire dissolution."

How? Really, How?

If I voted for a goverment that did what the PTP have done in just 2 years.... I would feel sick to my stomach, and I would never vote for them again....

However, the difference is that I have a very sound and solid education... the PTP voters historically don't have that luxury.... which is why they are constant targets for manipulation by the Thaksin regime.

Anyway.... I apologize for any typos..... I am pissed on wine and beer from my celebration party....... Happy days.

What is ironic is that the Thai Yellows simultaneously talk up their own (supposed) erudition and sophistication, while at the same time dismissing practically the entirety of the world´s media and academia as being hopelessly biased in favor of the Reds (regardless of their political standpoint).

Wow

.. so the Senate elections earlier this year were for the "APPOINTED " Senate .. how strange!

The Senate has appointed and elected Senators.

You do realize it was an appointed Senator, one of the gang of 40, that made the complaint about Thawils transfer, after the "old" cabinet had agreed to reinstate him.

Presumably not, judging by your irrelevant post about senator elections.

reinstall? First of all obviously they didn't reinstall him, so that agreement was also a lie. Second even if they would have reinstalled him, it is still abuse of power.

It's reinstate, not reinstall. You people are really beginning to pee me off. Do you not have the brains to check very carefully before you accuse people of telling lies?

The cabinet today approved the revocation of its earlier resolution on September 6, 2012 which retro-actively reinstates Mr Thawil Pliensri as the secretary-general of the National Security Council.

The cabinet’s decision was in response to a ruling of the Supreme Administrative Court ordering the reinstatement of Mr Thawil replacing Lt-Gen Paradorn Patthanathabutr.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-endorses-thawils-reinstatement-nsc-chief/

Don't bother to apologise, none of you ever do, just post ream after ream of ill thought out, poorly researched, pap in lieu of intelligent posting.

But that's the point .. he wasn't reinstated in 2012 was he!

He was reinstated March 2014

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thawil-reinstated-as-NSC-chief-Paradorn-transferre-30230026.html

Personally, I would probably feel cheated and probably vote to another party next elections. Well, to be fair, probably also depends on a balance between which level of corruption "my" party would display vs. what actual good they do (plus considering the alternatives). I'm not a true believer, hence, I don't think that there are many honest politicians out there, not getting my expectations really that high. Doubt it would made me switch my vote to a party I had a long term bias against though, just wouldn't vote in this case.

But that's me - more of a skeptic, probably somewhat better educated than the average Thai voter, seen a bit of the world and can draw on all that to make what is probably a more informed decision.

Not condoning the PTP's conduct and do not think they have a good track record at all. Just saying that it might not matter all that much, relative to how they are being perceived by their electorate.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thawil-reinstated-as-NSC-chief-Paradorn-transferre-30230026.html

For the hard of thinking I'll elaborate. No, Thawil wasn't reinstated in 2012 - well done Einstein. The Administrative Court didn't get round to ruling that Thawil had to be reinstated until Friday 7th March 2014.............

The Supreme Administrative Court today (Friday) ordered caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to reinstate Mr Thawil Pliensri as the secretary-general of the National Security Council within 45 days.

The reinstatement of Mr Thawil will become effective retroactively as of September 30, 2011.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thawil-pliensri-reinstated-nsc-chief-45-days/

So he wasn't reinstated in 2012 because the government didn't realise that transferring a Civil Servant would be viewed as "unconstitutional" especially as the previous government had done the exact same thing with no penalty. The Cabinet agreed to the reinstatement of Thawil on March 25th - within the 45 days stipulated.

Now do you get the point?

• Like 1

This is public knowledge that the PM has to be an MP... You can't have a PM who did not get chosen by the electorate to at least represent their constituency... let alone the entire country.

I think you may not be correct ?

There are also party-list MPs, wasn't former-PM (lovely words) Yingluck a PTP party-list MP, so not actually chosen by any one constituency ?

Well, according to the Thai constitution there are no MP's at the moment, as membership of the House of Representitives terminated for all MP's when it was disolved (Article 106). So at this point, no one can meet the requirement of being an MP (Article 172). So, the council of ministers who remain are continuing in their roles in caretaker status (Article 181). At the same time, I wonder if his "appointment" by the concil of ministers confers any real additional authority or responsibilities or is simply nominating him as the spokesman of the caretaker government until elections take place at some point in the future.

It is ironic that PT objected to Abhisit's plan for an interim PM on the grounds that the PM must be a MP and now the caretaker cabinet, who were appointed by Yingluck,. have appointed someone who wasn't an MP.

I think you are right though that he is only acting PM in the sense that the cabinet has chosen him as their leader and that PM is a misnomer because he has not been elected PM in Parliament (nor could he have been as he is not an MP) and he has not been royally endorsed. The EC seems ready to accept his authority to countersign a royal decree. Someone might challenge that, although I doubt the CC would care to rule on it.

• Like 1

For the hard of thinking I'll elaborate. No, Thawil wasn't reinstated in 2012 - well done Einstein. The Administrative Court didn't get round to ruling that Thawil had to be reinstated until Friday 7th March 2014.............

The Supreme Administrative Court today (Friday) ordered caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to reinstate Mr Thawil Pliensri as the secretary-general of the National Security Council within 45 days.

The reinstatement of Mr Thawil will become effective retroactively as of September 30, 2011.

So he wasn't reinstated in 2012 because the government didn't realise that transferring a Civil Servant would be viewed as "unconstitutional" especially as the previous government had done the exact same thing with no penalty. The Cabinet agreed to the reinstatement of Thawil on March 25th - within the 45 days stipulated.

June 2013

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NSC-ex-chief-wins-case-30207367.html

At the time of Thawil's transfer it was pointed out in the media that this had strong potential to get YL and the entire cabinet removed, if they remained office long enough for the case to come to fruition. That took 2 and half years but got there in the end. If they didn't realise this, it was because they ignored the warnings and/or had very poor legal advice. Anyway all other considerations took a back seat to Potjaman's desire to reward her phi.

June 2013

Ever heard of appeals, you know, where a case isn't over until the appeal has been ruled on? You should have, if you had read the first sentence of the link you provided

Government likely to appeal against the Administrative Court verdict for transferred Thawil Pliensri to be given back the job

And lo and behold they did appeal and verily the final ruling on the case was made on Friday March 7th 2014, as I said.

June 2013

Ever heard of appeals, you know, where a case isn't over until the appeal has been ruled on? You should have, if you had read the first sentence of the link you provided

Government likely to appeal against the Administrative Court verdict for transferred Thawil Pliensri to be given back the job

And lo and behold they did appeal and verily the final ruling on the case was made on Friday March 7th 2014, as I said.

And the results were the same ..

At the time of Thawil's transfer it was pointed out in the media that this had strong potential to get YL and the entire cabinet removed, if they remained office long enough for the case to come to fruition. That took 2 and half years but got there in the end. If they didn't realise this, it was because they ignored the warnings and/or had very poor legal advice. Anyway all other considerations took a back seat to Potjaman's desire to reward her phi.

While I'm sure that the media is a sound arbiter of legal advice whistling.gif I can't imagine the legal team of the PTP taking much notice of them.

Perhaps they were naive enough to believe that if the Administration Court ruled that the transfer was illegal and ordered a reinstatement they would do so and that would be that - as shown by abhisits transfer of the Police Chief - he never reinstated the Police Chief but still faced no further action.

And perhaps they were naive enough to believe that even if an anti Thaksin Senator were to file a complaint after the Cabinet had agreed to reinstate Thawil that the CC would not go out of their way to act upon it let alone dismiss the PM and Cabinet.

Well that's political justice for you.

• Like 1

And the results were the same ..

So, your point is?

Gee Flab

seems you are a bit butt hurt today, spouting your usual BS seems more aggressive(stupid) than normal. Just think how your hero's(criminals) that just got sacked feel?

Edited by dcutman

...it will finally dawn on the Suthepistas that it is business as usual...

it will finally dawn on the Suthep honest citizens that it is thievery as usual

I could not let such nonsense as you posted stand so I posted the truth.

No thanks needed.

While I'm sure that the media is a sound arbiter of legal advice whistling.gif I can't imagine the legal team of the PTP taking much notice of them.

Perhaps they were naive enough to believe that if the Administration Court ruled that the transfer was illegal and ordered a reinstatement they would do so and that would be that - as shown by abhisits transfer of the Police Chief - he never reinstated the Police Chief but still faced no further action.

And perhaps they were naive enough to believe that even if an anti Thaksin Senator were to file a complaint after the Cabinet had agreed to reinstate Thawil that the CC would not go out of their way to act upon it let alone dismiss the PM and Cabinet.

Well that's political justice for you.

PT's legal team doesn't seem to be all that sharp but, if they dared raise a concern at the time, they would have been shouted down, given that the de facto leadership of the party plus ex-wife wanted the chain reaction of transfers to take place and aren't people who like to take no for an answer. They probably also assumed that the case would take so long going through at least 3 courts that the govt would be gone and, if not, that they would be gone, so it wouldn't matter. Abhisit avoided this because he dinged the police chief late in his tenure and was long gone before the case got through the admin courts. It was ruled a wrongful dismissal too but the police chief had already passed retirement age and Abhisit had already lost the election, so there was no point in the CC hearing the case, as they couldn't have removed him from office which is all they can do.

Fab 4 lives in the past Problem is he is busy rewriting it and has no time for 2014.

He was dismissed from his job for no good reason - and even today nobody in PTP has offered one

This cabinet were rotten to the core for almost 3 years and it is catching up on them real fast

Just another Shin fanboy to remove from office... PTP keep rolling them out, and the courts will keep taking them down.

3 Shin's have been removed in recent history... Another one won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the courts and corruption agencies actually took out the huge number of corrupt politicians, i think everyone would be very happy.

The issues arise when it appears the courts and agencies focus solely on one sides corruption, or more accurately one family.

In a land full of corrupt politicians, it is amazing that the only cases that actually advance to a decision are ones against that family.

I have no doubt they are guilty of corruption, but so are many of them. It would just make it easier for people to be happy with the verdicts if many of the countless other crooks were also investigated.

Got to start somewhere... Better late than never. Let's hope they keep it up and see them all off, whatever their stripe.

Just another Shin fanboy to remove from office... PTP keep rolling them out, and the courts will keep taking them down.

3 Shin's have been removed in recent history... Another one won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the courts and corruption agencies actually took out the huge number of corrupt politicians, i think everyone would be very happy.

The issues arise when it appears the courts and agencies focus solely on one sides corruption, or more accurately one family.

In a land full of corrupt politicians, it is amazing that the only cases that actually advance to a decision are ones against that family.

I have no doubt they are guilty of corruption, but so are many of them. It would just make it easier for people to be happy with the verdicts if many of the countless other crooks were also investigated.

Got to start somewhere... Better late than never. Let's hope they keep it up and see them all off, whatever their stripe.

Agree, but they wont. As can be clearly seen in their track record or very limited track record.