Whats with the Cooking Gas Prices?

Gonzo the Face

Cooking gas was 170 a tank in 1997....along with diesel at 8 baht a liter. That's the down side of price controls.....sooner or later, the government is going to allow the price to rise...as it should.

I knew diesel at 30 baht a liter was slightly more expensive here than in the US......and I thought lpg tanks were the same. But while on vacation in Texas last year, I had to get refill our daughter's bbq tanks.......15 pounds at $19. If my elementary math skills serve me correctly, that's more than double the price here....15kg at less than 400 Baht.

Some day the price controls will be lifted on my 500g box of kellog's corn flakes.....been 94 baht for 4 years.....maybe I should stock up now!

Some day the price controls will be lifted on my 500g box of kellog's corn flakes.....been 94 baht for 4 years.....maybe I should stock up now!

as with many things the price stays the same but the size goes down noticed this on a lot of items.. I buy the large Kellogg's Corn Flakes still 279 baht but sure it was 1.8 KG ? now this week the pack is 1.7 KG.. !! Shower cream still the same price but not 500 ml but 480 ml

right, we've been noticing that too lately. not much change in price but slightly less in the bottles...soap, shampoo, etc. i remember when they started to pull that one in Europe, around 2005 or so. it does take a little while to notice as the bottles look the same - almost.

Welcome to a bankrupt country with no consumer price protection whatsoever.

I come from the US. So, I am accustomed to living in a bankrupt nation. Only difference is the total per capita debt here is a lot lower. The US is number three in the world, very conservatively estimated at $58,604 per person. And the general government gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is 107.3%. In Thailand it is $2,977 per person, for the total outstanding debt. And the general govt. gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is only 48.3%, leaving it as the 38th highest nation in the world. These figures are based on Bloomberg, 2014 numbers. So, get your facts straight, before making statements like this one. You are right about the consumer price protections, with the exception of LPG, and Natural gas, which have been subsidized up until recently. I hear those subsidies are being relaxed.

Nothing of what you've cited here establishes that the USA is bankrupt. Nothing.

It owes more money than it can ever payback. Kind of like being a functional alcoholic.

You should look up what bankruptcy is and what it is not.

Cooking gas was 170 a tank in 1997....along with diesel at 8 baht a liter. That's the down side of price controls.....sooner or later, the government is going to allow the price to rise...as it should.

I knew diesel at 30 baht a liter was slightly more expensive here than in the US......and I thought lpg tanks were the same. But while on vacation in Texas last year, I had to get refill our daughter's bbq tanks.......15 pounds at $19. If my elementary math skills serve me correctly, that's more than double the price here....15kg at less than 400 Baht.

Pray tell where you buy 500 g Kellogs corn flakes for that price, it is a long time since I've seen them under a hundred baht.

Coke cans have become narrower and taller to disguise the fact that the only have 325ml of coke in them instead of the 330ml they had before. Good news for coke drinkers health to drink less, but another scam....

And look at the marketing for cola back in the 60s.

Did you all have a lifetime of guaranteed happiness.

post-150623-13996088572885_thumb.jpg

And fifty years from now we will be looking back and laughing at todays advertising claims

Coke cans have become narrower and taller to disguise the fact that the only have 325ml of coke in them instead of the 330ml they had before. Good news for coke drinkers health to drink less, but another scam....

Got a little different slant on that M-Fan

The old coke cans and the new skinnier ones both show 325 at my place. Had that discussion in a thread earlier and had a pic of both side by side.

And look at the marketing for cola back in the 60s.

Did you all have a lifetime of guaranteed happiness.

post-150623-13996088572885_thumb.jpg

And fifty years from now we will be looking back and laughing at todays advertising claims

The VAT might be going up to 10% in September,if it does,expect inflation

to really take off,as they wont just add 3% to the goods,it will be the full 10 %

to goods and services,as thats what happened before when they increased

the rate of VAT.better spend your money now ! before inflation eats it away.facepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

Probably one the most misused words on this forum is SCAM! Even if this was true, if a company were to set out to scam it's customers would they spend a fortune redesigning and remaking a different can in order to get away with reducing the contents by less than 2%, bearing in mind that the product consists of probably 95% water? In the absurd case of this being true, would it constitute a SCAM? Hardly.

The VAT might be going up to 10% in September,if it does,expect inflation

to really take off,as they wont just add 3% to the goods,it will be the full 10 %

to goods and services,as thats what happened before when they increased

the rate of VAT.better spend your money now ! before inflation eats it away.facepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

Run !

The sky is falling.

Probably one the most misused words on this forum is SCAM! Even if this was true, if a company were to set out to scam it's customers would they spend a fortune redesigning and remaking a different can in order to get away with reducing the contents by less than 2%, bearing in mind that the product consists of probably 95% water? In the absurd case of this being true, would it constitute a SCAM? Hardly.

would they spend a fortune redesigning and remaking a different can in order to get away with reducing the contents by less than 2%, bearing in mind that the product consists of probably 95% water?

Lets compare it with a company that sells million Baht cars and and kills many people because they can save 17 Baht.

GM ignition switch case could lead to criminal charges: Senator

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/general-motors-email-shows-executives-knew-of-potential-fix-years-ago/

An email obtained by CBS News shows multiple GM executives, including Lori Queen - the vehicle line executive in charge of the Chevy Cobalt - knew an ignition switch could have been fixed nine years ago.

DeGette showed a faulty ignition switch and said it would have cost 57 cents to fix.

Edited by JesseFrank

Yeah, the cooking gas has increased every time I order a new tank (15 kg?) which is about every 4 months.

If my assumption of 15kg and Gonzo's 48kg were correct, there seems some discrepancy.

Just about 2 months ago, I paid B310 which translates to 310/15= B20.67 per kg. This means, for a 48kg, it should be 20.67x48=B992.2. But this is not what I see from what Gonzo has produced.

Yup, the increase in VAT is forthcoming, and that would make everything more expensive. What's the sales tax in NY nowadays?

I come from the US. So, I am accustomed to living in a bankrupt nation. Only difference is the total per capita debt here is a lot lower. The US is number three in the world, very conservatively estimated at $58,604 per person. And the general government gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is 107.3%. In Thailand it is $2,977 per person, for the total outstanding debt. And the general govt. gross debt, as a percentage of GDP is only 48.3%, leaving it as the 38th highest nation in the world. These figures are based on Bloomberg, 2014 numbers. So, get your facts straight, before making statements like this one. You are right about the consumer price protections, with the exception of LPG, and Natural gas, which have been subsidized up until recently. I hear those subsidies are being relaxed.

Nothing of what you've cited here establishes that the USA is bankrupt. Nothing.

Being light hearted, but if we could all print money to pay off debt and then pass that debt on to the grand children, wouldn't life be just perfect?

Yeah, the cooking gas has increased every time I order a new tank (15 kg?) which is about every 4 months.

If my assumption of 15kg and Gonzo's 48kg were correct, there seems some discrepancy.

Just about 2 months ago, I paid B310 which translates to 310/15= B20.67 per kg. This means, for a 48kg, it should be 20.67x48=B992.2. But this is not what I see from what Gonzo has produced.

Yup, the increase in VAT is forthcoming, and that would make everything more expensive. What's the sales tax in NY nowadays?

Bit of a follow up on this

We use both sizes of the cooking gas, 15 kg and 48 kg

Purchased in the past 18 days

15 kg Tank 380 baht = 25.333 b/p/k

48 Kg Tank 1160 baht = 24.167 b/p/k

Like 1.167 baht cheaper per kg in the larger size purchase...... understandable

But does anyone know if there is a government mandated selling price per kilo of cooking gas , or is it left to the marketplace?

G

Being light hearted, but if we could all print money to pay off debt and then pass that debt on to the grand children, wouldn't life be just perfect?

Exactly. The former poster is very obviously living in denial. Like some of my friends in the US who say 18 trillion is really not that much if you consider the size of the economy. How do you even respond to something like that? The bottom line is there is not nearly enough income to support all the programs the lobbyists have asked Obama for, and he does not have the courage to just say no. So, he prints more money.

But does anyone know if there is a government mandated selling price per kilo of cooking gas , or is it left to the marketplace?

G

I believe it is under government control, just like gasoline (petrol) prices. I think it's going to continue rising until it reaches world market prices. Every month the rate is adjusted. I just paid 405 baht for 15 kilos.

G

I believe it is under government control, just like gasoline (petrol) prices. I think it's going to continue rising until it reaches world market prices. Every month the rate is adjusted. I just paid 405 baht for 15 kilos.

Any guesstimate on what world market price is...... in terms of baht...????