I Just Let A Thai Mechanic Fix My Bike, How Do I Get It Back?

OneeyedJohn

Truly just before Song khran i took my big bike to a mechanic that was recomeended by another thai acquaintance with a big Yamaha for rectification of a small vibration.

Here we are 8+ weeks later and still no Set laeow every time we call.

I can't make him lose face

I can't threaten him

<deleted> can i do,,,i am honestly tearing my hair out.

Kawi 750 for sale

always in service ( garage )

hardly ridden since purchase 2 years ago

taxed/ MOT'd...why bother its never on the road

new parts.......shit i can hardly remeber there is so many

any <deleted> offer is likely to be accepted by my wife

Regards for any help offered :o:D:D

I would just go to the place and take another bike with me.

thais may look threatening - but once you use a resolute voice everything is possible.

what the hel_l is it with all of you people being afraid that a thai may lose face?

what about yourself?

just go there, solve the problem your style and the thai guy may have learned something valuable.

He probably hasn't got a clue how to fix it so he is stalling (he can't lose face either in admiting he doesn't know what to do). Just go back and tell him that you need it for now. You'll get it back to him just as soon as you don't need it....not!

Err, it's your bike, go here, ask him how long it will be then tell him that you will come on that day. If it isn't ready, load the bike on the back of a pick up & don't pay the guy. Take a few mates along to help yo get bike in pick up & also as a warning.

What model is it? One path to take... "Google" "the model name/ vibration fault"

The internet is getting pretty nifty for people clubbing together to share their frustration.

I've just posted an explanation of "How to..." on a Renault Megane Owners site. Some things are a bit of trial and error and some faults are known problems unique to the model.

You might waste an hour on the Net but you can go along and say..." I have just SEARCHED the English speaking (HE wouldn't have) World for the answer!"

It wouldn't cost you and it might make him stand there looking like a tosspot. You have been as patient as you can be but I NEED IT MENDED. A few baht would find a pick up taxi ride if it has been "conveniently immobilised"

At least i's not a Harley (Double the bill...Khatort but it was stolen..blah..blah(All hair torn out!}

Good luck with the next step!

forget that with loosing face.

I saw many chinese they really don't care shouting "you wrong, you stupid and so on".

Than everyone tells that they are so ugly but they get everything first because the thai avoid troubles with them again....

if it is working, go there, tell him time enough, over him 100 baht for his work and drive away with it and make a angry face so he don't want more money.

If it is not driveable come with the pickup and a couple of friends (brothers and friends of them and tell them we take the bike and later we drink lots of beer (that helps to shorten any discussion there and automatic makes you the nice guy (pay the beer) and him the bad guy (preventing them from getting the beer).

I know it sounds pretty low and junk, but thats the way it works....

Truly just before Song khran i took my big bike to a mechanic that was recomeended by another thai acquaintance with a big Yamaha for rectification of a small vibration.

Here we are 8+ weeks later and still no Set laeow every time we call.

I can't make him lose face

I can't threaten him

Kawi 750 for sale

always in service ( garage )

hardly ridden since purchase 2 years ago

taxed/ MOT'd...why bother its never on the road

new parts.......shit i can hardly remeber there is so many

any <deleted> offer is likely to be accepted by my wife

Regards for any help offered :o:D:D

The first thing I'd do is turn up at he garage unannounced with a friend and check that the bike is actually at the garage and not rented out/lent out or sold on.

I had a very similar experience with a guy who I had paid to install some genuine parts that I had shipped in from overseas. He said he'd do the work over the weekend, when I called on the Monday evening he claimed he couldn't start as he was awaiting a gasket (a reasonable excuse), same thing the next night. The next evening I turned up with the necessary gasket.

The next evening I turned up he claimed he had been busey. I simply asked for the return of the parts.

He claimed a very senior police officer had taken them for his own car, but he, the garage owner was going to replace them.

I left and returned an hour later with a member of the Tourist Police.

He sent his son off on a motor bike, he returned twenty minutes later with all my genuine parts.

My guess is they were being sold on.

because a Thai would rather die than lose face so it leads to drastic measures on the Thais part should you make him lose face. This can cost you in ways you dont want to know about

come on, outside BKK maybe but inside face does not count anything anymore. I saw many times with my wife (half chinese and from the south), telling them bad things, your are junk you are siht, you are cheating us.....

Than they are angry and after one month after money run out they agree that they are wrong and everything is right, they made everything wrong..........

My guess is do never make them loose face if they are good people or if they are not wrong, if you are not sure show that you are not happy and that you have doubts (small doubts) good people will do their best and report the progress. Else don't care nothing.

It is absolute the same in Farangistan:

get blamed but you are right you are angry

get blamed but it is true you step back

grow a pair and go and talk to this person.

ask him for your bike back.

Stop tip-toeing around people who are not delivering whatever service they claim to be delivering.

Easy innit?

8 weeks!!!

If it your bike just go there and take it. If you have a problem get the police.

If you let this go any longer just go to the shop and give and sign over you bike to him he deserves it and you obviously don't.

grow a pair and go and talk to this person.

ask him for your bike back.

Stop tip-toeing around people who are not delivering whatever service they claim to be delivering.

Easy innit?

Thats probaly the best advice.

also tell him "if you break bike, I break you"

If he refuses take your spare keys run in the shop and ride off with it.

Lots of good stuff thank u for taking time out to help .

After a couple of weeks i did search the net for the owners manual but of course it is not sold/delivered to Thailand.

Yeah i can get stroppy , jump up 'n down , load up the bike in me pick up and go where ????

i am already many many thousands of baht into this guy having had to prepay for parts.

This is the 3rd 'mechanic' / 'garage' i've used in C rai, so it is absolute proof of the mentality that does not allow one to admit culpability in any task they undertake.

Its a vn750 twin, the twin being the tricky part to work on i believe, i'm no mechanic and that was probably my biggest mistake when buying the bike.

BTW i bought it from a local policeman called Somchai :o:D:D:D

I sent you a PM about this and think that you could just a Thai cop friend or tourist police guy to go with you and your papers and get the bike.

89 Kawasaki VN 750 Twin specificationsKawasaki VN 750 Twin 1989

1989 Kawasaki VN 750 Twin photo

Picture credits - simonp. Click to submit more pictures.

1989 Kawasaki VN 750 Twin

Discuss this bike

Rate this motorbike

This bike's rating

Write a review

Sell this motorcycle

Such bikes for sale

Tip a friend

List related bikes

General information

Model: Kawasaki VN 750 Twin

Year: 1989

Category: Touring

Rating: 71.1 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes

Engine and transmission

Displacement: 749.00 ccm (45.70 cubic inches)

Engine type: V2

Stroke: 4

Power: 65.00 HP (47.4 kW)) @ 7500 RPM

Compression: 10.3:1

Bore x stroke: 84.9 x 66.2 mm (3.3 x 2.6 inches)

Valves per cylinder: 4

Fuel control: DOHC

Cooling system: Liquid

Gearbox: 5-speed

Transmission type

final drive: Shaft drive (cardan)

More details Consult a Kawasaki repair manual.

Physical measures

Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 244.0 kg (537.9 pounds)

Chassis and dimensions

Front tyre dimensions: 100/90-19

Rear tyre dimensions: 150/90-15

Front brakes: Dual disc

Rear brakes: Expanding brake

Speed and acceleration

Top speed: 185.0 km/h (115.0 mph)

Other specifications

Fuel capacity: 13.50 litres (3.57 gallons)

Further information

Parts and accessories Check out parts and accessories from our partners. Kawasaki VN 750 Twin accessories

Ask questions Join the 89 Kawasaki VN 750 Twin discussion group

Insurance, loans, tests Search the web for dealers, loan and insurance costs, tests, customizing, etc.

Related bikes List related bikes for comparison of specs

Sorry didn't see it was an 89.

Edited by SnakeBite

Just remember this little phrase: "You can get further with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." Just joking. Seriously, get some buddies or the cops to go with you and confront this guy. Doing so alone may be risky. If your bike is worth a lot the guy could be selling off parts; many mechanics are real dirtbags. Good luck!

As I said before "Google" Top, left of this Thai Visa page as I write!

You want to use a search engine to get the info you want. (Not order a manual)

I Googled "vn750"

Bang! Staight away...A site for the Kwacker VN750.

www.vn750.com....Vibrates badly if oil level is , and could be was, aswell...Oil level too high. (drain refill)

With Highway bars Vibrates like f@@k between 3200 and 4500. You can't see in mirrors.

Where's the vibration, what revs? Does it come and go. All the time?

The engine is back together but not bolted to the frame so can't test to see if the vibration is fixed.

Yes Postie the vibration is coming up thro the petrol tank and into the bars nothing to do wiv the wheels. My hands go to sleep and yes the mirrors are u/s.

i'm off to see that website thx

Could be a fuel pump problem, I use to hav vibrations in my car and all i had to do was replace the fuel pump.

Most cars have 2 fuel pumps, one internal and one external, but not sure about bikes though

Perhaps it's after the fact now, but --

Did you spend 8 weeks only contacting this mechanic by PHONE?

I don't think many Thais do business by phone. Every week, without invitation, you can go to the shop, look at the bike, ask what they've done, ask when it will be ready, write it down in your appointment book, and say, "So, do you swear by all that's holy, by the Lord Buddha and by Thailand and your wife's underpants, that if it isn't ready by this date, you give me back the bike and I owe you nothing, chaimai?" And, "if it isn't all in one piece by then, you will turn yourself into the Thai police and do whatever the Thai police tell you to do?"

Erm, just before you say this, you hand one cold beer to everybody in the shop and smile the entire time.

I had a similar problem. Took my CBR to a Thai mechanic, recommended by a farrang friend. He promised me the bike in 2 weeks. I gave him some deposit money in advance for parts. 3 weeks later, the bike is still not ready.

4 weeks later, he stopped taking my calls. I had to leave the country on business and couldn't follow up. 6 weeks later, I traveled 300km from my home to his shop to check up from him since I hadn't heard from the guy since week#3. His shop was empty, cleaned out. No sign on the door, not even his neighbors knew where he went. And, nope, he left no forwarding address. And he still didn't return my phone calls. I had given him several numbers including my email along with a page of instructions on what the bike needed.

It took me several hours of sleuthing around his old haunts to find out where the guy went. Took a taxi there and found my bike in pieces. After some serious negotiation, I got him to put the bike back together. It took him 5 more days. And then I rode it out the shop, only to have it died 3km down the road. He brought it back to the shop, made overnight repairs. And I left with my bike the next day, with crappy repairs, in worse shape than when I brought it to him. I paid 3 weeks for bike rental, lost days trying to get my bike back. Got my bike 7 weeks after I gave it to him.

I don't know if he was planning to keep my bike forever or not, but it sure felt like it when I saw the look on his face the moment I came into his shop unannounced. Strangely enough, after that, his phone started working again, and he took my calls!

I should have known from the beginning when this guy started calling me "my friend."

Get your bike asap by whatever means. Take a pickup there with a bunch of guys to hand carry it into the pickup if necessary. But remember to smile the whole time, and thank him for his brilliance and troubles.