Integrating into the Thai culture

Hal65

As a foreigner, do you think it makes sense to at least try to integrate into the Thai culture, or is this really a pointless endeavor? not talking only about learning the Thai language, but also dressing like them, adopting some of their basic customs like greetings and other mannerisms, etc.

I don't expect the Thais to suddenly see me as one of their own, but I would like them to understand that I respect their culture and I'm willing to talk and act with them at their level.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what circles you mix in.

Dress like them !

If north northwest. Then a piece of cloth would suffice .

However in parts of Bangkok they all wear designer clothes. Prada. Armani etc etc.

By all means learn the language it will help you no end.

But. Why you just can't be yourself.???

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Integrate into thai society? Many have tried...All failed.

Makes me wonder though what are thais so afraid of?

Because the fact that they don't accept anybody as one of their own is a fear based issue they should have dealt with a long time ago. Props to them to keep it real. They are narak555.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

...but also dressing like them..

So how do you dress now?

If your coming to Bangkok they mostly wear jeans, t shirts, shorts , sneakers..that sort of thing

Are you sure your going to adapt?

• Like 1

So how do you dress now?

here I am almost the only one barefoot, while the Thais walk with shoes blink.png

Yeah... but they always get a bit tight when you go to a wedding like that ....right????

• Like 1

I don't expect the Thais to suddenly see me as one of their own, but I would like them to understand that I respect their culture and I'm willing to talk and act with them at their level.

Wai every single one of them. From the motosai taxi riders and street cleaners up.

Eat at road stalls 3-4 times a day, spending not more than 30b a meal.

Tell them that you love Thailand and love Thais.

They love humbleness.

You'll be fine.

And ranting in a Chang vest within 6 months.

Turn it around and think about your homeland.

Immigrants that do not adapt to some of their host country's customs are demonised. Looked down upon and blamed for racial tension. By all means they can retain their dress and food, their religious beliefs, their celebrations (although some rednecks will condemn them for those things too), but some of the host's customs should be taken up. Language is a biggy, in my opinion, as communication is important.

Local ettiquette is important to adopt. Can you imagine what the average American/European/Anitpodean would feel about an immigrant who didn't learn what was considered good and bad manners and thus constantly offended people, albeit unknowingly?

Turn it around and ask yourself what you would like to see of immigrants/visitors in your homeland, and then don't follow a double standard.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So how do you dress now?

here I am almost the only one barefoot, while the Thais walk with shoes blink.png

Yeah... but they always get a bit tight when you go to a wedding like that ....right????

I never go on weddings...don't know why no one invites me...

I coud ask the OP how he thinks he will fit in to their patronage and family networks that are the basic societal structure here, but he would probably go on in the vein of "but I am wearing a pha khao ma....." so it is probably just a waste of time.

• Like 2

I tried to assimilate towards Thai culture but the Thais were moving towards western culture quicker than I was able to integrate into traditional Thai, well Lanna culture. There are now only three men, including myself, in the village, all of us over 60, willing to wear a pakama in public and we all get grief from our wives for doing so except for 90 year old Uey Kieow. But I seem to have integrated well as I am still drinking Thai "whiskey" with the same cast of tambon (sub-district) characters from over the past 30 years. The only diference is that me and my drinking pals all go home and go to sleep long before midnight and let our sons do the drinking for us into the wee hours.

I think it makes sense to learn at least a bit of the language, adopt whatever local customs you feel comfortable with whilst respecting the rest, and not get all hung up and bent out of shape about whether the Thai people love you or just 'tolerate' you.

• Like 2

I think it makes sense to learn at least a bit of the language, adopt whatever local customs you feel comfortable with whilst respecting the rest, and not get all hung up and bent out of shape about whether the Thai people love you or just 'tolerate' you.

Quite right although i sometimes think that this is all an extension of the insecurity some feel over being liked, spoken to and tolerated solely because of their money.

It's a weird one

So many genuinely believe that greater wealth ought to positively guarantee fawning, sycophantic respect and loyalty from the locals lower down the wealth stakes.

Interminable allusions to the amount of money they contribute to the economy, the dirt poor family and the soi dog they willingly adopted and dutifully maintain and the fact they're not lining up for state handouts (as if there are any) are present within any number of threads on this forum.

I mean if a rich Thai bloke turned up in England with a bit of wedge, hooked up with a single mum of 4 from a Thamesmead housing estate and bought a house, he might be able to get a passport and indefinite leave to remain if he played it right.

Indeed, the government would even call him a British citizen but would the British people?

• Like 2