Foreign tourist arrivals projection slashed: TAT

webfact

Tourist arrivals projection slashed

5-9-2014-12-01-01-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says it will adjust the projected figure of foreign visitors this year of 28.4 million down due to ongoing negative factors that continue to hit the tourism sector.

Governor Thawatchai Aranyik said his deputy has been assigned to collect more information from various markets with emphasis on views of foreign tourists and travel agencies on impacts to the nation’s images from various negative factors.

He said the new projection on tourist arrivals would be worked out at the TAT’s meeting next week.

He said the recent bombing in Hat Yai on the Singaporean and Malaysian markets, as well as tourists’ sentiment, particularly Chinese travellers, regarding the 6.3 richter quake in the North would also be assessed.

He stated the agency would seek measures to restore tourists’ confidence in the kingdom.

It was necessary to cautiously look at surrounding factors both in and out of the country before a new tourist projection is made, he said and added that he is waiting for comprehensive data on foreign markets particularly on factors that influence tourists’ choice of destination.

The number of tourists from some markets stay the same while in other markets fluctuated, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tourist-arrivals-projection-slashed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-09

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TAT may adjust down the foreign tourist projection

BANGKOK, 9 May 2014 (NNT) - Mr. Thawatchai Aranyik, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), stated the agency would likely adjust down the projected figure of foreign visitors this year from the previous estimate of 28.4 million, as various negative factors continue to hammer on the tourism sector.

Governor Thawatchai said he has appointed the Deputy TAT Governor on Foreign Affairs to collect more information from various markets with emphasis on views of foreign tourists and travel agencies on impacts of domestic politics to the nation’s images. He said the new projected tourist figure would be worked out at the TAT’s meeting next week.

The TAT Governor said his office is also set to find the impact of the recent bombing in Hat Yai on the Singaporean and Malaysian markets, as well as tourists’ sentiment, particularly Chinese travellers, regarding the 6.3 richter quake in the North. He stated the agency would seek measures to restore tourists’ confidence in the kingdom.

According to him, it is necessary to cautiously look at surrounding factors both in and out of the country before a new tourist projection is made. The TAT is waiting for comprehensive data on foreign markets particularly on factors that influence tourists’ choice of destination. The TAT governor added the number of tourists from some markets stay the same while in other markets, the figures fluctuate.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-09 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just hang Suthep, and tourists will come back,

It is no any other reason but this reincarnation of Hitler has caused the down spiral of the economy and tourism.

Yes ,but what a cleanout of the political system he has achieved, so far , like everything old son, there's pluses and minuses, the tourism sector joined the minus.

Yeah, Public hangings,that should lure what at least 1 billion chinese tour groups.

• Like 1

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says it will adjust the projected figure of foreign visitors this year of 28.4 million down

... to 36.2 million tongue.png

Maybe 20% on visa runs-border shopping- transit- workers- DOWN to ???????? if they carry on they will finish up just with farrangs on border runs.

He said the recent bombing in Hat Yai on the Singaporean and Malaysian markets, as well as tourists’ sentiment, particularly Chinese travellers, regarding the 6.3 richter quake in the North would also be assessed?????

Unbelievable (Denialand) Thailand.

Edited by Calimotty

Thailand, past it's sell by date.

Totally agree and Tats stupid initiatives will not halt the decline,Myanmar if they do it the right way could overtake Thailand as a Tourist destination quite soon,as i said in another thread,what has this country now got to offer that cannot be done better in nieghbouring nations?

• Like 1

I have seen many ' crises ' come Thailand's way. And still they keep coming. As I type there are a thousand new arrivals at Swampy airport.

And they will keep coming, but as the numbers drop you will find the hardcore are still arriving for SEX, the others of different tastes will dwindle.

Does a sex tourist bother if some red shirts are plundering BKK no way.

Same the lady visiting a zoo and saw 2 monkey's having sex--she said to the keeper --"disgusting stop them-throw them a bun" the keeper replied would you stop for a bun.-------------get my drift.giggle.gif

• Like 1

It is no any other reason but this reincarnation of Hitler has caused the down spiral of the economy and tourism.

Please review history and comparing anyone here to Hilter.
  • Like 2

Whilst i do live here i will not be taking my annual holiday next year in Thailand,because i can go somewhere better,more interesting,and less polluted.

Same here. The light is dimming and no one in power seems to be able to control the power supply.

I wonder how many of those tourists are defacto residents doing visa runs? Anyone know the impact of Hitler coming to power had on tourist business for Germany?

Quite good initially - the Olympics and all that. Although travel was open to the upper classes, not the masses in those days. Bit like Thailand in that respect.

Your masterful understanding of politics is only surpassed by your astute grip of economics.

Everything was just spiffing in the economy before the protests started was it?

• Like 2

Your masterful understanding of politics is only surpassed by your astute grip of economics.

Everything was just spiffing in the economy before the protests started was it?

Agree,Suthep has little to do with it,all the scams,pollution,garbage everywhere,hordes of russians,overpriced food ,beer, services,lies,the country is a pale shadow of what it once was, i first came here in 1989,it was wonderful,the greed for money has ruined it.

• Like 2