British tourist, 46, beaten to death in Thai prison after being accused of stealing a moped

Lite Beer

The original story:

A Foreigner Steals Motorcycle From Pawn-shop

PATTAYA:--The owner a pawn shop saw a man on CCTV footage, stealing a motorcycle.

PATTAYA – March 26, 2012 [PDN]; Pol.Lt.Col. Suparerk Yuprai, Pattaya police station reported that villagers had caught a man stealing a motorcycle.

Miss Pissamai Iamin, 51 years and villagers caught a foreigner, Mr. Sean Patrick Flanagan, a 57 years old, sitting on a gray Yamaha Nuvo motorcycle, registration number KhorWorWor 813 Chonburi, surrounded by villagers.

Upon investigation, Miss Pissamai Iamin said that, on March 21, while she was parking her car in front of her pawn-shop called Bua Khao, in 210 / 49 , moo 9 , Nongprue, Banglamung a man entered her shop and stole a motorcycle.

Full story:http://www.pattayada...from-pawn-shop/
-- PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2012-03-28

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/544017-a-foreigner-steals-motorcycle-from-pawn-shop/

• Like 2

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to rag on thai English language news for bad grammar, but w-t-f does a moped have to do with anything in this story?

These people have zero professioanl pride in their work.

Just the most inane bs you can imagine, daily.

So the Daily Mail is now "thai English language news"?

• Like 1

Thai prisons are not holiday camps. I make no apology for not finding this sad tale to be noteworthy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you relies that if all the pigs, Soi dogs, and buffaloes farted all at once and somebody lit a cigarette, the methane gas would explode with such a force that Thailand would be blown off the face of the earth! The only memory we would have of Thailand would be a huge hole in the ozone layer.

• Like 1

It's a prison people, what do you expect, crochet classes and finger painting?

Not being beaten to death is a reasonable expectation.

Correct, but we all know Thai prisons are not nice at all.

I suspect Bubbas abound in them.

Edited by watcharacters

Thai prisons are not holiday camps. I make no apology for not finding this sad tale to be noteworthy.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is noteworthy, because it could just as easy be you, or even worst me.

• Like 1

Moral of the story. Don't be an idiot in Thailand. Don't break the law. Don't go to jail. Don't die in prison.

... and don't be too smart Mcdonald, if you are at a wrong place in a bad time you can go to jail with-out any reason. If you won't survive a smart mate here like you will comment a big B st like you.

• Like 2

I'm not one to rag on thai English language news for bad grammar, but w-t-f does a moped have to do with anything in this story?

It is just a way to make him appear more like a victim rather than simply use a word like thief since it was only a moped .. but does make you wonder if it was actually more of a burglary since he is accused of stealing it from a shop ... also would bet it was a motorcycle and not a moped. While I don't believe anyone deserves to die in such a way I do wonder about the background and personality of a 50 something year old stealing a moped in a foreign country and would find it odd if he was just randomly chose for a beating in prison. Sad anyone's life would end this way but living certain lifestyles will certainly increase the odds of leaving this world in such a way.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

It's amazing how some of you guys have so much sympathy with this tourist yet in another thread we read about a Thai man being killed by a BMW driver and you say that he deserved it.

Double standards!

Everyone deserves a fair trial but sadly that rarely happens here for the poor and some foreigners.

I don't think the driver who accidentally killed the armed robber was a farang. Explain why this is double standards.

Thainess at it's best bah.gif

Its a prison not a church.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

Nothing to do with Thainess,, same all over the world.

It's not the death. It's the cover up by authorities that is the Thainess.

Yes its bad, but you may find its the same all over the world. If there are no relatives making big waves, no one cares

Moral of the story. Don't be an idiot in Thailand. Don't break the law. Don't go to jail. Don't die in prison.

clap2.gif

Not being an Idiot in Thailand or for that matter in any other country is good advise,

but unfortunately, in Thailand,there are many ways ,other than being an Idiot that can land you in jail.

• Like 2

clap2.gif

Not being an Idiot in Thailand or for that matter in any other country is good advise,

but unfortunately, in Thailand,there are many ways ,other than being an Idiot that can land you in jail.

Not sure Thailand is unique for not wanting to act like an idiot or for sometimes locking up innocent people --- in this story it appears the only related issue would be about not acting like an idiot.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/78424-farang-prince-dies-in-thai-jail/

He, Prince Christoph Victorio Egon Humberto de Hohenlohe-Langenburg,

died some years ago in the same prison, similar unclear circumstances.

http://derstandard.at/1125203

That Austrian, died in the same prison after he was beaten by inmates.

Cannot find a better Link

I new sean he was definatly guilty for stealing a moped outside a shop in pattaya klang he didnt deserve to get killed, was I suprised to hear he got killed no way he was a mouthy so and so

"Yet it took Thai authorities eight months to begin an investigation into the death, following pressure from the victim's family."

What's the hurry?

He was already dead.

Speed it up won't save him or reduce his suffering at all.

The court is better used to hurry Yingluck case.

"Yet it took Thai authorities eight months to begin an investigation into the death, following pressure from the victim's family."

What's the hurry?

He was already dead.

Speed it up won't save him or reduce his suffering at all.

The court is better used to hurry Yingluck case.

The courts don't investigate - the police do. Maybe the police would be better investigating rather than play body guard to the UDD?

• Like 1

he was remanded for stealing a moped.. you do read english i take it!?

Thainess at it's best bah.gif

Its a prison not a church.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison, many are lifers and could not care less to kill someone over the silliest thing

Nothing to do with Thainess,, same all over the world.

The nicest people do not really end up in prison

History shows that a lot of innocent people have.

• Like 2

Cannot disagree sound advice

PLUS

1 Do not have insuuficient cash to fix things

2 Many who would be in jail are at large and many in jail are not necessarily guilty just too poor

Not sure Thailand is unique for not wanting to act like an idiot or for sometimes locking up innocent people --- in this story it appears the only related issue would be about not acting like an idiot.

I am sure that Thailand is not unique , and that acting like an idiot is idiotic anywhere,I hope we can agree on that one.

This story is not about acting like an idiot,

it is about landing in jail , being murdered while in jail, and an attempt from the authorities to cover up the murder.

I am sure all these things could have happened even if you were not acting like an idiot.

So I guess the moral of the story is ,

Don't come to Thailand,

Which is exactly why the authorities tried to cover it up, and we should all be outraged instead of making excuses.

While the story may be about a broader issues, we were speaking about one specific issue. As for cover-up, we have no idea what the facts are and can only guess but there is no real motivation I can think of to cover up a murder like this. I have no idea of the rules for autopsies in what may have initially been suspected of being an accident but am guessing the Thais never did an autopsy and possibly at the request of family. If all the authorities had to go on was lying inmates covering up a murder then that is all they had to go on until they got an autopsy result. If they wanted to cover it up then they wouldn't be charging anybody now and can easily say well it might have been a murder based on the autopsy but we have no way of knowing now which of the 100's of inmates may have been involved.

The moral of the point you are trying to make I think is people like you shouldn't come to Thailand based on your own statement which you are 100% entitled too. In fact, I'd love to see less farangs in Thailand, especially when it comes to vacation spots. As for me, I like it here and don't have an issue with the way things are done anymore than I have issues in my own country which I have no control. I just happen to like the freedom and people's culture here better along with weather and beaches and many other things. No doubt Thailand has its problems, especially being a less developed nation, but this story is not unique to Thailand in anyway, at least not in the US where I grew up, as people get killed there all the time in and out of prison and police bungle investigations all the time and where foreigners are often viewed as outsiders or inferior though in the US a lot of people are often much more vocal about disliking foreigners.

A guy was killed in a jail and police didn't rule it a murder and/or make an arrest for 8-months. Should we all take to the streets and shut cities, airports and government down and possibly burn some malls? Now, that would be more of a uniqueness to Thailand wink.png

Edited by JohnThailandJohn
  • Like 2

I am sure that Thailand is not unique , and that acting like an idiot is idiotic anywhere,I hope we can agree on that one.

This story is not about acting like an idiot,

it is about landing in jail , being murdered while in jail, and an attempt from the authorities to cover up the murder.

I am sure all these things could have happened even if you were not acting like an idiot.

So I guess the moral of the story is ,

Don't come to Thailand,

Which is exactly why the authorities tried to cover it up, and we should all be outraged instead of making excuses.

While the story may be about a broader issues, we were speaking about one specific issue. As for cover-up, we have no idea what the facts are and can only guess but there is no real motivation I can think of to cover up a murder like this. I have no idea of the rules for autopsies in what may have initially been suspected of being an accident but am guessing the Thais never did an autopsy and possibly at the request of family. If all the authorities had to go on was lying inmates covering up a murder then that is all they had to go on until they got an autopsy result. If they wanted to cover it up then they wouldn't be charging anybody now and can easily say well it might have been a murder based on the autopsy but we have no way of knowing now which of the 100's of inmates may have been involved.

The moral of the point you are trying to make I think is people like you shouldn't come to Thailand based on your own statement which you are 100% entitled too. In fact, I'd love to see less farangs in Thailand, especially when it comes to vacation spots. As for me, I like it here and don't have an issue with the way things are done anymore than I have issues in my own country which I have no control. I just happen to like the freedom and people's culture here better along with weather and beaches and many other things. No doubt Thailand has its problems, especially being a less developed nation, but this story is not unique to Thailand in anyway, at least not in the US where I grew up, as people get killed there all the time in and out of prison and police bungle investigations all the time and where foreigners are often viewed as outsiders or inferior though in the US a lot of people are often much more vocal about disliking foreigners.

A guy was killed in a jail and police didn't rule it a murder and/or make an arrest for 8-months. Should we all take to the streets and shut cities, airports and government down and possibly burn some malls? Now, that would be more of a uniqueness to Thailand wink.png

"While the story may be about a broader issues, we were speaking about one specific issue"

Though you might be talking about a specific issue, I and the article are not.

What specific issue are you talking about?

"As for cover-up, we have no idea what the facts are and can only guess but there is no real motivation I can think of to cover up a murder like this."

The cover up is that the Officials said that he fell from a wall, if the officials did not know what had happened, they should have said, "we don't know what happened ans we will investigate" 'but he did not do that, did they?They said he fell from a wall case closed.It was only after an autopsy was conducted in the UK and the evidence presented to them that they changed their tune.

"The moral of the point you are trying to make I think is people like you shouldn't come to Thailand based on your own statement which you are 100% entitled too"

This is not a moral of the story I am trying to make,

I am married to a Thai, I own property in Thailand, I plan to retire in Thailand , though the more I learn about Thailand the more I rethink my options.

​This is the moral that the average Joe in the UK or US or elsewhere will take from reading this story,

And it is exactly the motivation of the authorities for covering it up.

You don't really think the authorities were duped by the prisoners in believing he fell from a wall

Do you?

I can just hear it, "well , we did not know, the prisoners told us that he fell from a wall, why should we not believe them, is not like they are criminals or something "laugh.png laugh.png

• Like 2