British tourist, 46, beaten to death in Thai prison after being accused of stealing a moped

Lite Beer

Here's one for all you hand-wringers to ponder.

Not only was this man sucker-punched, but he was also booted in the head while on the ground.

Questions follow when you've watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYtPN8Chw8

(1) Did he deserve to be assaulted so violently?

(2) Was " 'Oo wants it then" the right thing to say when there were clearly at least two or three that did?

(3) Was shouting and swearing at a Thai ever likely to have a good outcome?

(4) Could this whole incident have been avoided?

(5) If so, for how many baht? ( ) Bt100 ( ) Bt1000 ( ) The price of another cheap Thai Whiskey.

(6) Is it a brutal assault on a poor British tourist, and those foreigners can't be trusted you know, don't ever go to Thailand it's not safe and I believe every word the Daily Mail says because I'm a FARKIN IDIOT.

Edited by Chicog

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you "Judge Dredd"? I didn't see anything about him being a thug with a violent criminal past, and even if this is correct he was being detained for nicking a scooter!

He was convicted and jailed for eight months on an 'air rage' charge while on an Etihad flight from Abu Dhabi to Manchester.

To quote an article posted by Andrew Drummond: "The court heard he had 25 previous convictions for 44 offences which included assaults and public disorder."

Now you don't want to be doing that in a cell jammed, and I mean jammed like sardines, with Thai criminals, do you?

If it was me, and I didn't have the bail money, I'd sell a kidney rather than go to a Thai jail.

• Like 2

The executing will be out on 50K baht bail very soon.

If he`s not already released.

I doubt it, from the looks of it this was never meant to make the press - he's more likely to suffer an unfortunate accident himself.

Who are you "Judge Dredd"? I didn't see anything about him being a thug with a violent criminal past, and even if this is correct he was being detained for nicking a scooter!

You are obviously one of these "round them all up in a field an bomb the bas**rds types".

I think you need to get grip on what the real world is. He did not deserve to be beaten to death, full stop.

I never said he did.

I simply said I am neither surprised nor shocked by it.

Perhaps some of you have led sheltered lives.

Perhaps I have, but if living a sheltered life means that I still find it unacceptable that a man is beaten to death in prison while being held for a minor crime then i don't really want to be "unsheltered".

Although, I don't believe I have lived a sheltered life, I think I am as street wise as any other normal. I think the reality is you have become insensitive and you now take appalling behavior in a developing country as ok and the norm.

Anyway, you are obviously not going to change your views, so I will leave it there,,

,,,what ever you do don't ever change.

• Like 1

I also think that it is not helpful to invent evidence to support once narrative,nowhere in this article is there any evidence that the prisoner was"bothering other prisoners and acting violently"

DCI Bob Qazi, who has been liaising with the Flanagan family, said: It was said by several people he was losing his self-control, refusing to sleep and exhibiting violent behaviour. The gist of it was he was disturbing other prisoners and irritating them. See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2624092/British-tourist-46-beaten-death-Thai-prison-accused-stealing-moped.html#ixzz31H3F0qiB

That was not information contained in the article we are talking about, this is news to me

Thank you for that additional information.

But coming from the UK I really wouldnt trust too much what the daily mail ever reports, especially after someone I knew well had an article written about them where just about everything they mentioned was false

Perhaps I have, but if living a sheltered life means that I still find it unacceptable that a man is beaten to death in prison while being held for a minor crime then i don't really want to be "unsheltered".

You don't quite seem to grasp the difference between "unacceptable" and "unsurprising".

And they are not mutually exclusive.

You don't quite seem to grasp the difference between "unacceptable" and "unsurprising".

And they are not mutually exclusive.

So just say that's unacceptable after chanting the unsurprising side for 10 pages, and you will surprise us all.

Edited by paz