Red shirts protest court ruling

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Red shirts protest court ruling
The Nation

30233335-01_big.jpg
Red shirts burn a casket to demonstrate their anger at the Constitutional Court after it unanimously ruled to remove Yingluck Shinawatra and nine members of her Cabinet from office after finding them guilty of abusing their power.

BANGKOK: -- Coffins with judges' photos burned; mass gathering today

Pro-government red shirts in a number of provinces burnt coffins in a symbolic gesture yesterday aimed at Constitutional Court judges who ruled on Wednesday to remove caretaker prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra from office.

Red shirts will meet today at Aksa Road in Nakhon Pathom in what is expected to be a mass gathering.

Provincial red-shirt leaders said they would resort to all means possible to defend the administration.

Udon Thani red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana said 1,000 red shirts from Udon Thani with 100 trained red guards from the Democracy Protection Volunteers would come to Aksa Road. The protesters would stay till Wednesday and would not march anywhere.

Apichart Inson (aka DJ Uan), a leader of the red shirt's Rak Chiang Mai 51, said red shirts from the North were mobilising in tandem with red shirts in other provinces and had gathered at provincial halls including at Lampang and Kamphaeng Phet to burn coffins.

He said letters of protest were sent to provincial governors to show the world that the red shirts rejected the court's ruling against the prime minister, who was elected by millions and that people shall rise to fight for a just society.

"Chiang Mai red shirts have joined reds from Kamphaeng Phet … It doesn't matter which group or which province we're from … We shall fight together," he added.

Apichart claimed that a million red shirts were expected to converge at Aksa Road today and people would see if there were more reds or more supporters of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

He said PDRC leader Suthep Thaugsuban had said earlier that the side with the smaller number of supporters would retreat.

In Khon Kaen, some 50 red shirts gathered to burn coffins with pictures of the Constitutional Court judges attached.

A declaration was also read before they prepared to travel to Aksa Road. Similar scenes took place at Ang Thong, Sing Buri, Lop Buri, Amnat Charoen and Uthai Thani.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

No one can change the past regardless of how they view it.

People can change the future.

The more things get out of control the longer it will be before there are successful elections

Here's hoping that BOTH sides do not resort to violence because the only winner will be violence not the Kingdom or people of Thailand.

• Like 1

As I said before tezza the yellow shirts are so on the nose that rin tin tin could run for the PTP and they would still win.

It's up to the thai people to come to at least some common ground but I think after these recent events the chances of that happening in the near future are zero.

So the red shirts who feel they have been robbed once again by the yellow elites will vent their frustration.

This cycle is going to continue for years to come and the bias press from both sides with their sensational headlines and inflammatory columns are doing not but flaming the fires for more confrontation.

I can see why the red shirts are showing their frustration.

Every time a democratic government is elected they are thwarted by judicial system on all levels to have them removed

The best way out of this is for the EC to go ahead with the 20 th of July elections and once again let the people decide.

However I can see them coming up with more excuses to avoid this as the backlash from recent court decisions will result in a landslide victory for the PTP .

The protests unfortunately are likely to get more violent over the coming months but this is what you get when you keep ignoring the wishes of the people.

Freedom of Thai people to choose a Government for the people

that means freedom of speech

"""""""The best way out of this is for the EC to go ahead with the 20 th of July elections and once again let the people decide. ?""""""""

I am not in the Suthep Fan club

But I am for the freedom of Thai people to choose a Government for the people

not for their bank books, and that goes for both sides

So until Thai's are allowed the right to say, "what they feel" openly any where in Thailand, there is no freedom of speech

With out freedom of speech there can never be a democratic government or a fair elections

Until freedom of speech is allowed by Red shirts in the North

The North of Thailand is under the rule of a dictator

also please include

Section 102. A person under any of the following prohibitions shall have no right to be a candidate in an election of members of the House of Representatives:

(6) having been expelled, dismissed or removed from the official service, a State agency or a State enterprise on the ground of dishonest performance of duties or corruption;

So your call for an election

who will be running on the PTP side ????

Do you understand freedom of speech? It mostly deals with the relationship between the state and its citizens. It is a consensus among the international community that the most threatening law to freedom of speech in Thailand is Article 112 (lese majeste). The law works decidedly in the establishment's (anti-PTP) favor, as you see many red-shirts are jailed for their speech under this law. How many anti-PTP guys are jailed for their anti-PTP speeches? I don't know any. I mean, half of the TV community would be in jail if the government restricted anti-government speech that way.

As for intimidation by the red-shirts in the north, it goes both ways. PDRC supporters are intimidated in the north, red-shirts intimidated in the south. This problem has to be dealt with, but how much it affects "free and fair" elections I don't know. All I know is that our elections are deemed free and fair by reputable international observers.

Edited by somjitr
  • Like 1

If PTP wins the election from the vote of the people they have the right to govern.

What people don't want to see again, is a complete abuse of power and a middle finger raised to the whole country in trying to cater for one man and his family.

If one man and one family can select and choose who runs what, what laws to obey and what not, then it won't be a democracy much longer, but a dictatorship.

Just go in, do your job and try to run the country for the benefit of the country and not yourselves. Then just maybe, we will see an end to all this madness. And this is where PTP had let the country down.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Please see Posting 8

we are not talking about PTP elections there way

we are talking about free and fair elections

As I said before tezza the yellow shirts are so on the nose that rin tin tin could run for the PTP and they would still win.

It's up to the thai people to come to at least some common ground but I think after these recent events the chances of that happening in the near future are zero.

So the red shirts who feel they have been robbed once again by the yellow elites will vent their frustration.

This cycle is going to continue for years to come and the bias press from both sides with their sensational headlines and inflammatory columns are doing not but flaming the fires for more confrontation.

So you agree we need reform before the next election

and

No 1) we need freedom of speech by all parties in all areas

No 2) Section 102 Enforced

A person under any of the following prohibitions shall have no right to be a candidate in an election of members of the House of Representatives:

(6) having been expelled, dismissed or removed from the official service, a State agency or a State enterprise on the ground of dishonest performance of duties or corruption;

3) All parties yellow and red to abide by the rule of law

• Like 1

Damn, they've started burning stuff already, that didn't take long . . . better keep those fire extinguishers handy again!

This is the problem with these people.

If they don't burn the fields and forests in Isaan and the North, they have to burn something in Bangkokw00t.gif

In all honesty I can't see a peaceful resolution. The Thai people have spoken in a number of elections but always seem to have their voice silenced. As I have said in other posts, every player in this game is maneuvering for a position of power when 'that which must not be spoken' happens. It has precious little to do with justice or rights or any real reform. Both sides are corrupt and want to make sure they are first in line with their snouts at the trough. I'm afraid some innocents are going to suffer before this is over.

Yes tezza reform the one eyed judicial system that keeps ruling on the yellow elite side time after time.

You can fool some of the people some of the time...........

Why are you posting always so into your biased way of thinking

why not write

Reform the judicial system so it's ruling on both the yellow reds are equal time after time.

You can fool some of the people some of the time...........

But you posting just scream of Bias

• Like 2

Do you understand freedom of speech? It mostly deals with the relationship between the state and its citizens. It is a consensus among the international community that the most threatening law to freedom of speech in Thailand is Article 112 (lese majeste). The law works decidedly in the establishment's (anti-PTP) favor, as you see many red-shirts are jailed for their speech under this law. How many anti-PTP guys are jailed for their anti-PTP speeches? I don't know any. I mean, half of the TV community would be in jail if the government restricted anti-government speech that way.

As for intimidation by the red-shirts in the north, it goes both ways. PDRC supporters are intimidated in the north, red-shirts intimidated in the south. This problem has to be dealt with, but how much it affects "free and fair" elections I don't know. All I know is that our elections are deemed free and fair by reputable international observers.

There are probably only a couple of red shirts (if that) in jail for lese majeste. There are a lot of red shirts in jail for rioting and burning buildings.

• Like 1

I can see why the red shirts are showing their frustration.

Every time a democratic government is elected they are thwarted by judicial system on all levels to have them removed

The best way out of this is for the EC to go ahead with the 20 th of July elections and once again let the people decide.

However I can see them coming up with more excuses to avoid this as the backlash from recent court decisions will result in a landslide victory for the PTP .

The protests unfortunately are likely to get more violent over the coming months but this is what you get when you keep ignoring the wishes of the people.

Actually, the elected Thaksin proxy governments are usually thwarted by breaking the law and getting caught.

At least the red shirts only waited a week to protest against this decision, rather than waiting for four years to "protest against the coup".

• Like 1

This is going to get intense. sad.png

Maybe or maybe not. The last demonstration seemed to only get 2,000 to 4,000 total attendees all across the country. It will be interesting to see. Hoping for no violence.

Apichart claimed that a million red shirts were expected to converge at Aksa Road today

Amazing what you can do with PhotoShop. I'll be surprised if they get 10,000 and/or stay more than the weekend. They won't protest on their own and Thaksin won't pay so, really, what is the news here?

BTW, if there were 50 protesters burning mock coffins, why could the photographer get only five in a photo?

Because Thais are notoriously camera shy, very difficult to get one to pose for a photo.

• Like 1

Provincial red-shirt leaders said they would resort to all means possible to defend the administration.

I see that violence, shooting, grenade throwing and general killing and burning have not been ruled out by the reds as part of their defense of democracy.

It would also seem that the village heads have little choice but to go along with whatever the governors tell them.

A quote from a post I made on another topic :

Another bit of news that may interest you is the fact, reported in another news item titled 'village heads unite to put a stop to rallies' is that some village heads have been dismissed by provincial governors for showing open support for the anti Govt protesters.

This came from a story in the BP where the leader of the association of village heads was quoted as saying that the closure of the interior ministry by protesters was hampering his efforts to help village heads who had been dismissed by provincial governors for showing open support for the anti govt protesters.

And the governors of course, as they are appointed by the government, will in turn do whatever they are told by the govt or the red leaders by proxy.

It should also be noted that PT came out against provincial governors being elected.

Reason : It was un-democratic.

That one should take some explaining.

Very good post - puts red shirt democracy in perspective - whats democratic is what their boss `SAYS is democratic