Stayed in Spain for more than a few months?

I've read that Brits and other Europeans were fond of second homes, long term rentals and living in Spain year round, at least until the global economic crisis. Economics aside, what were/are your pros and cons of staying there for months on end? Si, yo hablo espanol un poco.

Only cons are the cool winters.

If it wasn't for the Thai wife I'd be back there.

Probably similar to Thailand in that you can get by with English in the cities but need some Spanish in the rural areas.

Map en rai? Remember manana is a Spanish word.

Right, too cool in winter and bad food, would be living there otherwise.

As for "Only cons are the cool winters" really Thailand is too Hot year round - BANGKOK - Anyway needs a cool breeze!

That's why I live in the North-east and take two one month breaks to Europe/year

I lived in malaga 8 years (Torremolinos etc etc)

The people down there are "bumpkins" if you are from haughty Madrid. There is some justification too, because before Franco started to open the South of Spain for holidays in the early 60s, malaga and the Costa area were donkeys and fishing villages. The real malaguenos are Andaluces (Anda-Luz was the name used by the moorish conquerors there for 600 years). Granada has the famous Alhambra (arab style), but its not near the sea. Cordoba (not near the sea) has a famous mosque with a cathedral 'shared' inside it. It's well worth a visit, too. spectacular. Seville has some nice palaces but it's a bit boring as well as being very hot in midsummer (miles from any sea).

Barcelona can be very cold in winter. The Gaudi 'sacred family' church is unmissable, though, even if the guy was a fruitcake. Even Valencia, which is 200 miles south of Barca (I lived there too), means a frozen windscreen in January.

Because of Franco, who died in 1975, spain did resemble quite an 'odd' bureaucracy-cum-dictatorship from the end of the Spanish Civil War (1939 ish but carried on in dribs and drabs and hangings) until 1975.

There is a saying that Espana es un pais de muchas ventanillas--Spain is a country of many little windows. This is not quite as bad as it was, but it meant that, even to pay a rates bill, you had to visit at least 3 grumpy women (or men) sat behind their little windows. Until the 'crisis', and even now, civil servants had a real job-for-life. at 2pm everybody just went home. people were unsackable.

Personally, i like Spanish food. The rice dishes are not all paellas (rice with black squid ink and fish, and garlic sauce on top, is to die for). the fried fish can be very good, and the marinated pork chops as well. I guess that Spanish food doesn't beat true Escoffier-type heartattack frog food with its sauces, though.But then again, the real Med, diet, with olive Oil, fish and salads will give you 90 years.

The wine is excellent value. I cry about the nasty expensive wines in Villa, when I know I can get a good Rioja for 400baht in a malaga supermarket, and a drinkable valdepenas for about 150b.

Re the people: latins are proud and often gesticulate. they can be quite loud. nightlife runs late, and all Spaniards will go out late and be quite noisy. I prefer Spaniards to thais, but carpenters and plumbers are often idle and may overcharge you. Like the Thais, Spaniards like 'fun'. However, a real cultivated spanish gent is the tops in good manners and breeding. Spain has a long history and owned most of the Americas about 400 years ago. They are a proud people. the catholic thing can mean quite a lot of hidden guilt, though.

Eddy

• Like 2

I guess I forgot at add about the farangs. Farangs in Spain are called Guiris. It's about the same, and can be used rudely.

Most people know that The Costas Del sol, Brava etc actually have about 1,000,000 Brits, not to mention Germans, Danes, Dutch etc. You can play bingo (actually the Spanish quite like Bingo Halls, and have them too)

You can buy cod and chips and watneys beer (as was). The Essex plumbers and tarts are the best reason to avoid these areas.

Unfortunately Spain has opened its doors to moroccans and also romanians and others. This means that you can't go out wearing your Rolex now in some places.

Eddy

I guess I forgot at add about the farangs. Farangs in Spain are called Guiris. It's about the same, and can be used rudely.

Most people know that The Costas Del sol, Brava etc actually have about 1,000,000 Brits, not to mention Germans, Danes, Dutch etc. You can play bingo (actually the Spanish quite like Bingo Halls, and have them too)

You can buy cod and chips and watneys beer (as was). The Essex plumbers and tarts are the best reason to avoid these areas.

Unfortunately Spain has opened its doors to moroccans and also romanians and others. This means that you can't go out wearing your Rolex now in some places.

Eddy

You're right about Malaga and Andalucia as the local dialect is near impossible. I used to tell people it's like going to Aberdeen fish market and trying to learn English from the women working there (apologies to some, but you know what I mean). Speaking Spanish to someone from Madrid is like a breath of fresh air.

Guiri is not the same as Farang, it's much more derogative and they wouldn't use it if they thought you understood. But no matter, the people are always welcoming and helpful.

I was fortunate enough to have (and still do) a small place about 15 minutes drive up into the hills from the sea. Fantastic 180 degree Med sea views, Malaga and the mountains to the East, North Africa to the West.

Not far to anywhere and I can go down to the coast and mix with the types you described (and no, Watneys doesn't even rank as a beer) or be quite at home with everything I need in my Pueblo, though it has become a tourist attraction in it's own right.

Oh, I drive everywhere, but good and cheap public transport by bus and rail and domestic air. Also dozens of daily flights to London and of course elsewhere.

Excellent modern medical facilities too.

What I really miss is the Spanish food - cured meats and sausages of all varieties, cheeses, fantastic steaks, olive oils, vegetables, breads, herbs, wines and various liquers, etc. The list is too long.

And apart from the Spanish, South American ladies of every nationality. Just don't match up to my Thai wife.

I should be getting paid for this!

Hmm, I feel a trip coming on.

• Like 1