Mae Sai not allowing Visa Runs as of today

As of the 10th of my one cannot extend a tourist visa with 15 days any more.

These are new rules and regulations from immigration.

When one has a visa NON-O, B or ED which expires, one can make a single 15 day tourist visa extension.

After that one has to leave by air and get a visa at one's home country or at a Thai embassy in a neighboring country.

Was at Mae-sai yesterday and got tourist visa of 15 days after my NON-B ran out but was told that next time I would have to leave the country by air and visit a Thai embassy.

There were lots of people that were refused.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty ridiculous. Even people who have proper visas often do a couple border runs when it runs out and before they can get a new one. This affects a lot of people legitimately working or studying here, as well as legitimate tourists.

They should be able to tell the difference between someone who does the border run a few times, and someone who is living for 5 years on a border runs.

Educate me please: Why would any foreigner who is 'LEGITIMATELY' working or studying in Thailand need to make a visa run? Work visas and student visas do not require visa runs to the border, only 90 day check-ins at local immigration office, yes? Sincere question.

you are right. the 90 days report is just to update the immigration of your address

What?! My story totally conflicts this account.

I was JUST in Mae Sai Sunday morning (the 11th) at about 9:00 AM with a 3 entry tourist visa that was expired and I got 30 days (I'll post a pic if you want to verify). The most confusing part is I explicitly had my girlfriend ask him (the official) in Thai how many times we can do this and he said 4 times for 30 days AFTER the visa expired (I confirmed this 4 times also by speaking in Thai to him to avoid confusion).

This was on the 11th and a full day after people reported being not allowed to exit Thailand. Can anyone explain what happened to me? I was expecting to go back once more before going home (I'm from the US btw) but I'm freaked out now and probably going to fly out of this tourist trap (literally!) ASAP.

Can anyone explain what happened to me?

There has been some speculation that Saturday's incidents in Mae Sai were due to overreaction on the part of Thai immigrations officials to the new diktat. It's possible that things had returned to some semblance of normal by the time you passed thru yesterday.

What?! My story totally conflicts this account.

I was JUST in Mae Sai Sunday morning (the 11th) at about 9:00 AM with a 3 entry tourist visa that was expired and I got 30 days (I'll post a pic if you want to verify). The most confusing part is I explicitly had my girlfriend ask him (the official) in Thai how many times we can do this and he said 4 times for 30 days AFTER the visa expired (I confirmed this 4 times also by speaking in Thai to him to avoid confusion).

This was on the 11th and a full day after people reported being not allowed to exit Thailand. Can anyone explain what happened to me? I was expecting to go back once more before going home (I'm from the US btw) but I'm freaked out now and probably going to fly out of this tourist trap (literally!) ASAP.

You had a visa and when you just left and returned that was your first visa exempt entry, which is confirm the new rule of only 1 visa exempt entry.

The informaiton regarding you being able to do it 3 more times is probably uncorrect. (they might not have yet informed all officials about the new rule).

Can anyone explain what happened to me?

There has been some speculation that Saturday's incidents in Mae Sai were due to overreaction on the part of Thai immigrations officials to the new diktat. It's possible that things had returned to some semblance of normal by the time you passed thru yesterday.

That's a good possible explanation but I'm really confused about the nature of the 4 entries he claimed exist. According to the "Final crackdown for border runners" post we're allowed to enter once from the border without a visa and that would be the one time but I'm setup now for a possible serious problem.

Has anyone asked them at the Chiang Mai immigration office what the policy is? Is this the best place to ask at this point so I know what to really expect?

Can we still buy visas in Lao or maybe they are restricting buying back to back tourist visas also? That would essentially be another back door to living on tourist visas which I think they would close at this point.

Has anyone asked them at the Chiang Mai immigration office what the policy is? Is this the best place to ask at this point so I know what to really expect?

This is all new, things are still rather fluid to say the least. Sure, call Chiang Mai immigrations (don't forget, tomorrow is a holiday) but don't expect that any answer you receive is gospel in regards policies at Mae Sai or that those polices won't change on a moment's notice.

• Like 1

I am returning to Australia soon, can I return and receive a 30 day visa on arrival, or must I visit the Thai consulate in Aust and obtain my 60 day visa?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unknown how strict they will be regarding this. But if you return by air before 12 August there should be no problem.

You had a visa and when you just left and returned that was your first visa exempt entry, which is confirm the new rule of only 1 visa exempt entry.

The informaiton regarding you being able to do it 3 more times is probably uncorrect. (they might not have yet informed all officials about the new rule).

Yes I think you're right. I don't trust this information either.

Just to confirm can I exit by land to Lao to buy a new visa or are we forced by to fly out by land?

Also where is the official document to reference? I'm trying to explain this to my girlfriend but she doesn't believe it because we were just told by the "official" we have another 4 entires.

Seems crazy to me.....do they have "different" visa regulations at other land border crossings? Should not matter where, the law should be consistent.

There is no such thing as "consistent" in LOS, except Uniforms, microphones and sheets of A4 paper..........sad.png

• Like 1

Even though I have made a few visa exempt entries in the past whilst waiting for documents or just feeling lazy, I have to say that a shake up to this system is long overdue.

Nobody likes to work for free and that is exactly what Thai immigration officials are doing when they stamp a guy and the countless others on his and other buses, out and then back in moments later. Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos get a nice little fee for their 2 mins work doing it but what does Thailand Immigration get? Nothing.

The best way to stop people wanting to do same day border runs is to stop it being the cheapest option.

Thailand doesn't need to stop or it or restrict it, they just need to charge a fee for it, and maybe increase the fee for every consecutive visa exempt entry example 500, 1,000, 2,000 etc.

Most people will soon appreciate the benefits of applying for an actual visa or getting an extension of stay....

• Like 2

As I see it, after August 12th, we will only gain entry with Thai Consulate issued visa, no free 30 days anymore. I see a good way get extra farang money.

I think you need to read the other topic first: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725053-final-crackdown-for-border-runners-new-strict-immigration-regulation-in-force-from-today/

Visa exempt entres remain available.

Do you have anything to substantiate your post. Some more info would help,

Nobody gets a visa at a border (other than those that can get a 15 day VOA) you must be writing about visa exempt entries.

Are they letting those with visas to cross and return for new entries.

Perhaps there is a problem on the other side of the border so they are not allowing people to depart.

I have never heard of a problem on the Myanmar side save for about 10-15 years ago when security on the Burmese side was a major problem and the border was closed periodically for everyone, including local traders.

Nowadays, Myanmar wants to open up their country and last year I went to Myawady (entering via Mae Sot) and beyond on 3 Myanmar tourist visas in a row (3 visas and entries within 1 month), plus 6 day entries (before they allowed proper entry/exit via Thailand) and every time, Myanmar immigration welcomed me upon arrival and told me upon departure: "you are always welcome", something that would never occur on the Thai side, where I was scrutinized for having 3 15-day stamps earlier in the year, despite only using them for one day at the time (I was crossing into Myawady 2 days in a row because back then you couldn't stay overnight). By the time I used the 3 Burmese visas, I already had a Thai non-imm B visa, in fact, I applied for that one in Yangon in October on my first overland trip and became perhaps the first non-Burmese in history to enter Thailand at Mae Sot for the first time on a Yangon issued non-B. For the 1st and 2nd re-entries, I used a multiple re-entry permit I had applied for in Mae Sot on the day of re-entry to Thailand in October.

The problem with Myanmar at all crossings, including Mae Sai to Tachilek is that the Thai authorities know that in order to allow you to travel to Yangon, Mandalay etc. you must have a visa in your passport. If you arrive without one, you can stay in eastern Shan State max. 14 days on a border pass costing US$10 with travel to other parts of Myanmar, overland to China (where the border is currently closed) or Laos (where no official border crossing exists yet) not permitted. This means Thai immigration knows that at the latest 2 weeks later, you would need to cross back into Thai territory as Burmese territory effectively features a "dead end" for those visitors not in possession of a Burmese visa. Hence the Thai authorities may deny exit for that reason. On the other hand, if you exit with a Myanmar visa, or to Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia etc. where there are no travel restrictions and you can travel further overland or fly out of those countries, there is no need to come back to Thailand.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I am up for my exit and re-entry stamp for my Non-Imm B visa tomorrow. Bus ticket already purchased. I'm hoping it's just tourist visa people and not those possessing actual visas.

This is bad news for many.

Oh Thailand....

Like you I have question as it seems to be avoided being answered:

1: If you have a current One Year Visa with re-entry stamp are you affected by this if you choose to do your 90 day, exit and entries?

(I know I can do at Thai Immigration next to Chiang Mai Airport Office)

2: Does this mean you cannot exit Thailand for Visit... Day, Week or Month to Burma?

(Sick friend in Burma... Our Permanent Residence/Home in Chiang Mai)

3: If so does this mean we were scammed when we purchased single or multiple re-entery permits?

There seems to be others who are confused by the minimum length the responses seem to be... If I have to fly to Yangon and drive to Border area, I will then when I go to Border I will present on Thai Side My Bill for added expenses (all receipts) when I return to Thailand. As I have current Visa and Multiple entry Permits....!

Please address questios #1, #2, #3 Seperately Please! Do like when you are asking Thai... yes... No... okay? Not me but some seemed to require specifics not long winded projections....

For point #2, you can travel overland to Yangon from Thailand now, but you need a proper Myanmar visa. Once Myanmar reforms their visa policies and allows visas on arrival that actually allow you to travel to where you want, rather than the current restricted entry permits, in spite of Thai regulations then you would be permitted to leave without a Thai visa, because Thai immigration could assume you weren't coming back that way.

Do you have anything to substantiate your post. Some more info would help,

Nobody gets a visa at a border (other than those that can get a 15 day VOA) you must be writing about visa exempt entries.

Are they letting those with visas to cross and return for new entries.

Perhaps there is a problem on the other side of the border so they are not allowing people to depart.

I have never heard of a problem on the Myanmar side save for about 10-15 years ago when security on the Burmese side was a major problem and the border was closed periodically for everyone, including local traders.

Nowadays, Myanmar wants to open up their country and last year I went to Myawady (entering via Mae Sot) and beyond on 3 Myanmar tourist visas in a row (3 visas and entries within 1 month), plus 6 day entries (before they allowed proper entry/exit via Thailand) and every time, Myanmar immigration welcomed me upon arrival and told me upon departure: "you are always welcome", something that would never occur on the Thai side, where I was scrutinized for having 3 15-day stamps earlier in the year, despite only using them for one day at the time (I was crossing into Myawady 2 days in a row because back then you couldn't stay overnight). By the time I used the 3 Burmese visas, I already had a Thai non-imm B visa, in fact, I applied for that one in Yangon in October on my first overland trip and became perhaps the first non-Burmese in history to enter Thailand at Mae Sot for the first time on a Yangon issued non-B. For the 1st and 2nd re-entries, I used a multiple re-entry permit I had applied for in Mae Sot on the day of re-entry to Thailand in October.

The problem with Myanmar at all crossings, including Mae Sai to Tachilek is that the Thai authorities know that in order to allow you to travel to Yangon, Mandalay etc. you must have a visa in your passport. If you arrive without one, you can stay in eastern Shan State max. 14 days on a border pass costing US$10 with travel to other parts of Myanmar, overland to China (where the border is currently closed) or Laos (where no official border crossing exists yet) not permitted. This means Thai immigration knows that at the latest 2 weeks later, you would need to cross back into Thai territory as Burmese territory effectively features a "dead end" for those visitors not in possession of a Burmese visa. Hence the Thai authorities may deny exit for that reason. On the other hand, if you exit with a Myanmar visa, or to Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia etc. where there are no travel restrictions and you can travel further overland or fly out of those countries, there is no need to come back to Thailand.

Did you happen to notice the date and time when I made that reply or the fact we had no other info about it being closed.

I am fully aware of the situation on the other side of the border.

So if im correct i can FLY out of Thailand, apply for a visa in Laos for example, and then re-enter thailand. So being on overstay for 16 months wouldnt be a problem? 20000 bath and a valid ticket out of Thailand to show at the airport is ok? Why 16 months overstay u ask? Thay happens when u work for a criminal boss in the real-estate in Phuket who deducts money from your salary and gives u back your passport after letting u know that everything is ok and being taken care of (the man fled to china with 80 mil bath) and apparently he never officially employed this Falang.Amazing Thailand isn't it?

So if im correct i can FLY out of Thailand, apply for a visa in Laos for example, and then re-enter thailand. So being on overstay for 16 months wouldnt be a problem? 20000 bath and a valid ticket out of Thailand to show at the airport is ok? Why 16 months overstay u ask? Thay happens when u work for a criminal boss in the real-estate in Phuket who deducts money from your salary and gives u back your passport after letting u know that everything is ok and being taken care of (the man fled to china with 80 mil bath) and apparently he never officially employed this Falang.Amazing Thailand isn't it?

It is ok to pay the fine, fly out and apply for tourist visa but you should contact a good Thai lawyer in your case first.

Edited by Timwin

..i just post my question here because i cannot find another forum...

my situation is that i m stay now since two month in cambodia, in the past i did the visa run to thailand 2 times and have 2 subsequently thai visa in my passport..

is it possible to get a 30 day visa again when i cross the border at poi pet?

You will not have a problem entering the country because you have been out of the country for more than a few hours. You will not a get a visa when you enter you will get a visa exempt entry. It will be 15 days unless your are from a G7 country that are allowed a 30 day entry or from one that has a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Sorry how long does one have to be outside Thailand for, in order to return via a land crossing and NOT be viewed as a visa runner? I understand turn-around visa runners are the target. You mentioned being out of the country for a few hours. I would recommend at least a few days actually, but just wondering. For me, whenever I've had to do visa runs I've almost always spent at least a couple of days in the neighboring country...sometimes there have been errands to run or the trip could just be turned into a nice trip rather than just a visa run that is full of hassles.

I'm really getting sick and tierd of this place, without us they would fall to pieces but they dont want us, If i have a problem at any time, im going and not coming back.

I have been doing it the correct way for 9 years now , only late once (Bht 500) no problems.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I'm really getting sick and tierd of this place, without us they would fall to pieces but they dont want us, If i have a problem at any time, im going and not coming back.

also, we are but a drop in the ocean of GDP. We kind of don't really factor. Yeah tourist numbers do but cheap Charlie long stayers hardly make a ripple.

Please define a CC long stayer ? as i have no idea what you are 'ratting' on about.

..i just post my question here because i cannot find another forum...

my situation is that i m stay now since two month in cambodia, in the past i did the visa run to thailand 2 times and have 2 subsequently thai visa in my passport..

is it possible to get a 30 day visa again when i cross the border at poi pet?

You will not have a problem entering the country because you have been out of the country for more than a few hours. You will not a get a visa when you enter you will get a visa exempt entry. It will be 15 days unless your are from a G7 country that are allowed a 30 day entry or from one that has a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Sorry how long does one have to be outside Thailand for, in order to return via a land crossing and NOT be viewed as a visa runner? I understand turn-around visa runners are the target. You mentioned being out of the country for a few hours. I would recommend at least a few days actually, but just wondering. For me, whenever I've had to do visa runs I've almost always spent at least a couple of days in the neighboring country...sometimes there have been errands to run or the trip could just be turned into a nice trip rather than just a visa run that is full of hassles.

You are reading my comment out of context. It meant he had not just left the country. It certainly did not mean you could be out for a few hours.

If you had not already made some crossings just to get a new entry you might be able out for a day even. It is going to depend upon your history of entering, leaving and entering again.

This is beyond retarded. I am guessing that even the cheapest CC's still spend more than a local does in a year. Then ya have lots of folks who arent old enough to meet the retirement visa age, but have plenty of money/investments on which to retire, but have play the visa run game... I'm guessing they spend expenontially more in a year than a local. Yet so much effort goes into making the farang feel unwlecome. Even when you can get a proper visa, you still have to go check in every 90 days like you're on permanent parole.

This is why I have decided that I will never retire to Thailand. I am only interested in taking my retirement accounts and spending to a place that is welcoming to foreigners. Central & South America seem like a far smarter choice these days.

But not really Asian are they, try Cambodia, Lao, Malaysia. facepalm.gifthumbsup.gif

For those of us that abide by the laws here and qualify for long stay under the imposed rules of the Immigration Department, there are no problems as yet, but again if there are those who continue to abuse the system, the illegal land, property and business owners, then who knows what types of new restrictions the authorities may place upon us in the future.

You feel better now, crossposting the same bullsh*t here too? Every time there is a crackdown, your kinds of miserable little geezers come here to glee.

Well done BJ...........sock to the whingers ! clap2.gifclap2.giflaugh.png