Ukraine consul frets over tourist safety in Phuket

Lite Beer

Ukraine consul frets over tourist safety in Phuket
Phuket Gazette -

1_2014510144941871_MnKoXfhLUzyhXzhBKKgaI

Phuket Honorary Consul for Ukraine Alexander Zub (left) met with Governor Maitri Inthusut (right) to discuss the safety of Ukrainians in Thailand. Photo: Kritsada Meanhawong

PHUKET: Ukrainian Honorary Consul to Thailand Alexander Zub yesterday formally expressed his concern about the increasing number of road accidents in Phuket, and to discuss the safety of Ukrainian tourists who visit the island.

“Ukrainian tourists in Phuket tend to rent motorbikes or cars rather than opting [sic] for public transport, which could increase the risk of them being involved in an accident,” Mr Zub told Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut at their meeting at Provincial Hall.

“Also, a lot of Ukrainians do not speak English well, which makes it difficult for them to communicate what they need while they are here.”

Mr Zub said that he is especially concerned because he expects more and more Ukrainians to visit popular tourist spots in Thailand in the future.

“Ukrainian people enjoy travelling to Pattaya and Phuket because of the warm beaches and welcoming people, and the number of tourists from those countries is increasing year by year,” he said.

Governor Maitri assured Mr Zub that tourists were a top priority for officers in Phuket, and that there were measures in place to prevent accidents and help foster communication between tourists and locals.

“We constantly work to prevent road accidents by setting up checkpoints throughout the island,” Gov Maitri explained.

“At these checkpoints officers make sure that drivers wear their helmets and drive with licences, and they also test for drugs. All of these measures are in place to ensure that drivers on the road are safe.”

“Also, we have foreign police volunteers from dozens of countries patrolling the most popular tourist destinations on the island, such as Patong, who are available to help tourists at all times.”

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Ukraine-consul-frets-tourist-safety-Phuket/29403

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-10

At least Ukrainian tourists are probably safer in Phuket than in Ukraine.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes. Ukraine is heading towards a civil war, and it's possible Russia may step in to carve up the country.

I thought this may have been about protecting Ukrainians from Russians as we know how Russia like to assist the Ukrainians and ensure their safety? Don't believe the Honorary counsel did not know about all the Police checkpoints which ensure road safety around Phuket and the successful (1 week) safety arrangement now in place and running over Patong Hill

Governor Maitri assured Mr Zub that tourists were a top priority for officers in Phuket, and that there were measures in place to prevent accidents and help foster communication between tourists and locals. (this normally entails bhat changing hands and lightening the tourists burden) wai2.gif

Edited by Lokie

Yes. Ukraine is heading towards a civil war, and it's possible Russia may step in to carve up the country.

Friends of mine from Ukraine went home last month for a few weeks. From Crimea where this is all taking place. When asked them how it was, they told me it was like any other day, people walking about, having fun, getting on with life and they didn't see one bit of trouble. They did say that the only time they saw anything was military personnel at the boarder checkpoints and the airport. Wow media hype seems to make out much much more than this.

Edited by Phuketboy

Isn't it puzzling that while Ukraine is practically bankrupt, on the verge of a break-up and cannot even pay its gas bills its citizens appear to be as wealthy as the middle class in Western countries and travel as tourists in mass overseas and seem to be increasing in numbers (according to the honorary consul).

Friends of mine from Ukraine went home last month for a few weeks. From Crimea where this is all taking place. When asked them how it was, they told me it was like any other day, people walking about, having fun, getting on with life and they didn't see one bit of trouble. They did say that the only time they saw anything was military personnel at the boarder checkpoints and the airport. Wow media hype seems to make out much much more than this.

Imagine being Ukrainian and living in Crimea, flying out of Ukraine for a holiday, possibly to Thailand, and flying home after your holiday, only to find you are now Russian, not Ukrainian. :)

Most of the potential for trouble is now in Donetsk. Some of the population there want to also join Russia, but Putin hasn't exactly invited them, but has previously stated he would support those wishing to join Russia, so, it appears there could be a civil war, which may see Russia step in.

Crimea is already lost, and the world stood by and watched as Russia breach the sovereignty of Ukraine, in order to prevent World War 3.

Ukraine could end up like Syria, only time will tell.

Imagine being Ukrainian and living in Crimea, flying out of Ukraine for a holiday, possibly to Thailand, and flying home after your holiday, only to find you are now Russian, not Ukrainian. smile.png

Most of the potential for trouble is now in Donetsk. Some of the population there want to also join Russia, but Putin hasn't exactly invited them, but has previously stated he would support those wishing to join Russia, so, it appears there could be a civil war, which may see Russia step in.

Crimea is already lost, and the world stood by and watched as Russia breach the sovereignty of Ukraine, in order to prevent World War 3.

Ukraine could end up like Syria, only time will tell.

You really need to read up on the history of the Ukraine.

@ fasteddie

I know a little of the history of Ukraine. Crimea was "gifted" to Ukraine by Russia. Ukraine was part of The Soviet Union.

Russia was offering higher salaries and benefits, hence Crimeans went over, but control of The Black Sea port was strategic to the Russian Navy. They din't want to see that fall into the European Union's hands.

What history, specifically, are you referring to?

Edited by NamKangMan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Crimea has already been annexed by Russian...it is the remaining Eastern part of Ukraine...that is in dispute at the moment...and where there are military conflicts...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Crimea has already been annexed by Russian...it is the remaining Eastern part of Ukraine...that is in dispute at the moment...and where there are military conflicts...

Yes, and those "military conflicts" may see Ukraine slip into civil war.