Market in Pattaya

BigDamo

Thepprasit road has several markets. Starting at Sukhumvit road procede down Thepprasit road about 200 meters and on the left there is a huge weekend market, Friday/Saturday and Sunday.

Continue on Thepprasit another couple hundred meters and also on the left you will find the "used/second hand market", which is open every evening starting around 5 PM. Again, continue on Thepprasit, about 1 km, and also on the left, next to the Coliseum there is another large covered market.

OP - there are many markets all over the city as others have said. However, I find they all stock the same/similar items at the same/similar price. Seen one, seen them all.

The biggest one is arguably the Soi Buakhaow market or the Thepprasit weekend market.

OP - there are many markets all over the city as others have said. However, I find they all stock the same/similar items at the same/similar price. Seen one, seen them all.

The biggest one is arguably the Soi Buakhaow market or the Thepprasit weekend market.

True, but it depends how you like your Russians, tolerable or invasion strength ;)

Thepprasit dwarfs Buakhaow market and offers many options to eat there as well in the quite extensive food section

• Like 1

Thepprasit road has several markets. Starting at Sukhumvit road procede down Thepprasit road about 200 meters and on the left there is a huge weekend market, Friday/Saturday and Sunday.

Continue on Thepprasit another couple hundred meters and also on the left you will find the "used/second hand market", which is open every evening starting around 5 PM. Again, continue on Thepprasit, about 1 km, and also on the left, next to the Coliseum there is another large covered market.

The Theprasit Road weekend market (as noted, 200 meters from Sukumvit on the left heading to the beach) is the best market for apparel and accessories in the greater Pattaya area. There is also a reasonable supply of electronic items and household knick-knack. And prepared food is abundant and good. Traffic and parking are a problem, but aside for those issues, it is well worth the trip.

I haven't been to that Thepprasit market in about a year, but last time I found most the clothing to be of a very low quality. And a lot oriented towards Thai gals. 555555

The food there is fantastic. But as you say, parking is an absolute mess.

I think the Buakow market is bigger. Not as much food, but more "stuff" including plants, etc. But I've only been to it 2 times as I find it just too crowded and hot, and car parking is limited. I can get most of the same clothing at about the same price in the air con malls! 555555

I noticed there's a new market near that Coliseum place. Has anyone been there???

As for cookware, be careful with what you buy. Several reports have listed the stuff to be quite unhealthy.

Thepprasit as I said dwarfs Buakhaow (if you think otherwise refer to google maps or walk both of them)

Thepprasit is though teeming with Russians who descend there in force from all those way south of Pattaya hotels that package tour them in. Parking can be daunting there to the uninitiated (but at least it has extensive car parks if you know where to look - unlike Buakhaow where you will be hard pressed). If on two wheel take the center entrance go past the condo building and park in on the right hand side, on four wheels (anticipating loads of bags of buys) take the last entrance (towards the beach from Suk) use the condo buildings as your marker - youre turning in left just after the last one - straight in and park left or right at the end or onwards into the big car park further on.

;)

Behind Big C on 2nd road (near North Pattaya road) is a huge store with all sorts of household items. Open every day I'm pretty sure.

Be careful going in there, you will easily get lost. I had to ask four different people how to get to Big C. It is very badly signposted, and trying to get out ????????

On the same topic...

It seems all the market sellers have the same price - no one will negotiate even a few Bart lower.

I tried it a few times for the same shirt. Even one that had a mark on it - the may or may not have been removable?

They certainly stick with price solidarity - but they lost sales from me...

In China they always have a "last price", until you walk away for the second time....

Bottom line is they are prepared to make more profit from you (& the owner?)

But you cannot get a bargain, even when they are desperate (A few weeks ago there were less than a dozen people "Lookers"
in Mikes and others - at any one time...)

A few actually advertise the [lowest/asking] price

They scowl at you for going lower - but you get an ever widenning smile - the more they rip you off.

"No Sale" bye, bye

I lack the proper amount female hormones to enjoy markets, but do prefer Thepprasit market.

Walking from the parking lot to the market my wife drops me off at the restaurant where they know what beer to put in front of me. When she's finished she collects me and we go for some food, great routine ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You also have the daily night marlet in soi 10 , jomtien. But it's mostly aimed at russians, almost all signs in russian so I stopped going there.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I go to both markets on occasion. If it's daytime, it's Bhukao. If it's evening time, then it's Thepprasit.

Thepprasit is longer, but only 2 "lanes" (not including the food area). Soi Bhukao is shorter, but has what, 8 "lanes" (on both sides of the road), and has a slew of small bars around it where a lot of the guys hang out while their teeraks are shopping. Thepprasit is "open air" (mostly) while Bhukao is covered (which tends to make it somewhat steaming in there at times).

I actually prefer Bhukao for clothing and other things, and Thepprasit for browsing and food.

Parking at either is a nightmare. Even on a scooter.

(Note - a lot of these vendors move from market to market, not always the same markets, but they have their regular stalls that they set up in at each place.)

On the same topic...

It seems all the market sellers have the same price - no one will negotiate even a few Bart lower.

I tried it a few times for the same shirt. Even one that had a mark on it - the may or may not have been removable?

They certainly stick with price solidarity - but they lost sales from me...

In China they always have a "last price", until you walk away for the second time....

Bottom line is they are prepared to make more profit from you (& the owner?)

But you cannot get a bargain, even when they are desperate (A few weeks ago there were less than a dozen people "Lookers"

in Mikes and others - at any one time...)

A few actually advertise the [lowest/asking] price

They scowl at you for going lower - but you get an ever widenning smile - the more they rip you off.

"No Sale" bye, bye

Mike shopping certainly does negotiate but not on all brand names. Thai markets usually don't but their stuff is cheap anyways.

Edited by BugJackBaron

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Just to confirm your saying:-

Thep Prasit (Jomtiem) on the weekends and best to go in the evening

Or

Soi Buakhaow (opposite Pattaya City Hospital) when is this open again??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thepprasit is an evening market...go any other time and its shut.

Soi Buakhao is a daytime (rolled up n gone by 6pm) Tuesdays & Fridays at the SouthvPattaya Rd end of Soi Buakhao (no hospital in proximity)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Soi Buakhao is a daytime (rolled up n gone by 6pm) Tuesdays & Fridays at the SouthvPattaya Rd end of Soi Buakhao (no hospital in proximity)

Thanks - Soi Buakhao is just off Pattayasaisong Road isn't it? And Pattaya City Hospital is broadly opposite the other entrance of the road? Am I in the right place?

Thanks - Soi Buakhao is just off Pattayasaisong Road isn't it? And Pattaya City Hospital is broadly opposite the other entrance of the road? Am I in the right place?

You still don't get it. Buakhao market is at the southern end of Buakhao almost at Pattaya Tai (South) Road. Nowhere near Second Rd. Only Tuesday and Friday daytime. Vendors really start wrapping up around 4 pm.

Thepphrasit Road market is about 1 km from Sukhumvit, heading toward Jomtien Beach. The night market is only open on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm not sure about Sunday nights. Just follow the heavy traffic.

Forgive me..... not far from Walking Street then?

You still don't get it. Buakhao market is at the southern end of Buakhao almost at Pattaya Tai (South) Road. Nowhere near Second Rd. Only Tuesday and Friday daytime. Vendors really start wrapping up around 4 pm.

Thepphrasit Road market is about 1 km from Sukhumvit, heading toward Jomtien Beach. The night market is only open on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm not sure about Sunday nights. Just follow the heavy traffic.

Forgive me..... not far from Walking Street then?

If you walk from Walking Street east along Pattaya South road, crossing Second Road and around the bend to Tukcom Plaza, it's probably 10-15 minutes. It takes time to cross heavy traffic and dodge vendors along South Road. Standing with Tukcom (it has a Starbucks) at your back, look across the street. You will see a very busy corner with the new Mityon motorcycle dealer and another older motorcycle dealer on the other side. That's Buakhao. As soon as you step on Buakhao and walk 30 metres, you will see markets on both side of the road. That's it.

Nobody has mentioned the large market on Sukhumvit Road next to Mini Siam. I know for sure its open on Tuesday evening for the usual (but not tourist orientated) goods. On the same site Wednesday through I think to Sunday daytime and possibly night too, its entirely dedicated to garden things, plants, garden furniture, full size trees and bushes, ponds and fish to go in them. Plenty of parking roadside for motorbikes, and for cars on site. McDonalds 50metres if you're hungry