CRACKDOWN only affects SAME-DAY exit and return

OP: "It only affects those who want to abuse the system by entering the neighboring country for 20 minutes and immediately returning to Thailand"

I find this terminology, "abuse the system" objectionable and condescending. If they allow a certain process, then making use of it is not "abuse".

In the context of this topic "abuse the system" means "use a visa-exempt permission to stay for a purpose other than tourism"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was commenting on the OP's use of the word "abuse", in regard to using the border runs to extend stays in Thailand,

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about if I got 2 passports from different country (from europe) ?

I use one passport for go outside and use the another one to reenter ?

Don't do it. It can really backfire and cause a big problem if you are not very careful.

I read a report of a man spending 4 days in the slammer charged w/ forged docs, perjury and suspected terrorist activities.

On CNN web site pretty sure. Oh, I think he tried to transfer one of those stick-on visas to his other PP.

'nuff said

~

I don't believe you can change passports at land borders, but changing passports in the air can be useful and perfectly legitimate. I've done it before myself. I flew out for the express purpose of changing passports to the one I wanted to use for retirement.

I did this a few months ago. Had a visa that expired in my non EU passport that does not get 30 days visa exempt permission to stay and flew to Singapore. Entered Singapore with my EU passport and flew back to Bangkok same day on my EU passport to get the extra 30 days.

It was only in November 2013 they relaxed the rules, (land crossing 30 days, from 15) and I thought it could be done 4 times, I was told.

Now, today, out of the blue, it's been made more strict.

??????

Well you can blame the rorters for that.

Wait until August when airline check in staff will have to decide if someone is going to be refused entry or not.

You seem to be the first to comment on that, and you are quite right too. They already refuse boarding to people without a visa and an exit ticket within 30 days.

• Like 1

Wait until August when airline check in staff will have to decide if someone is going to be refused entry or not.

You seem to be the first to comment on that, and you are quite right too. They already refuse boarding to people without a visa and an exit ticket within 30 days.

What will happen later is too soon to tell. For now there is no reason do deny boarding to visa exempt passports, and they would be shooting their feet since you would be illegally denied boarding. Imagine a large group of genuine toutirst going to Thailand for two weeks

This is one database airline routinely check:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

For Western passports it returns:

...Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days:

So was I.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, I thought you were referring to what people do once they're in Thailand (other than tourism).

whistling.gif No, not what you're saying.

Although this is a new and still developing situation the new rule is this:

• You enter Thailand on a visa exempt entry (right now it is only applicable to land entries) without getting a Thai visa.
  • You later exit Thailand by a land entry.
  • You stay in that other country for whatever period.
  • Now you attempt to enter Thailand again by a land entry with another visa exempt entry (again without a Thai visa).
  • Previously you would be allowed to enter with those back-to-back visa exempt entries.
  • But now under the new rules you will NOT be allowed to get two back-to-back visa exempt entries as you could do before this new rule.

I am NOT an expert and this is a new situation, but as I interpret the new rule, it is the fact that you entered one time into Thailand on a visa free (30 day no visa) entry and then attempted to re-enter Thailand on another back-to-back visa free (30 day no visa) entry that is now not allowed.

As I understand it that is irrelevant of how long you stay out of Thailand.

It's that back-to-back visa free entry thing that is now not allowed .... at least by land entries at this time.

As I understand it, you will need at least a tourist visa for at least one of those back-to-back entries now with this new ruling.

But again I am NOT an expert, and this is a new situation just starting.to develop.

There has to be a time frame or limit to number within a time frame. If you vacation in Thailand on a visa exempt in 2014 and want to do again in 2015 then this would still be back to back.

whistling.gif No, not what you're saying.

Although this is a new and still developing situation the new rule is this:

• You enter Thailand on a visa exempt entry (right now it is only applicable to land entries) without getting a Thai visa.
  • You later exit Thailand by a land entry.
  • You stay in that other country for whatever period.
  • Now you attempt to enter Thailand again by a land entry with another visa exempt entry (again without a Thai visa).
  • Previously you would be allowed to enter with those back-to-back visa exempt entries.
  • But now under the new rules you will NOT be allowed to get two back-to-back visa exempt entries as you could do before this new rule.

I am NOT an expert and this is a new situation, but as I interpret the new rule, it is the fact that you entered one time into Thailand on a visa free (30 day no visa) entry and then attempted to re-enter Thailand on another back-to-back visa free (30 day no visa) entry that is now not allowed.

As I understand it that is irrelevant of how long you stay out of Thailand.

It's that back-to-back visa free entry thing that is now not allowed .... at least by land entries at this time.

As I understand it, you will need at least a tourist visa for at least one of those back-to-back entries now with this new ruling.

But again I am NOT an expert, and this is a new situation just starting.to develop.

There has to be a time frame or limit to number within a time frame. If you vacation in Thailand on a visa exempt in 2014 and want to do again in 2015 then this would still be back to back.

For now no time frame is published. Perhaps when they will see the proper mess they made with this they will return to the old rule that limited the visa exempt entries in a period, or come up with something more bizarre. It's pointless to debate now.

Just as a side issue---

I was about to apply for a single entry Tourist Visa from my local Consulate here in Auckland N.Z--I called them just to check all the required documents & payment remained the same-- to be sent by registered post etc.--as I have done many times over the last 10yrs--and they did---BUT!!!

They no longer accepted mail posting--I have to go and apply in person--and IF accepted- they will post my passport back ???

What's going on here ?---any of you Visa boffins have any info---I downloaded the application form from the Thai Embassy web-site-- nothing mentioned on that ??

Geeeze----not too much trouble if you live in the Auckland area---- will be a day trip for me---but a lot longer for folks further up north

Edited by Bucko

Just as a side issue---

I was about to apply for a single entry Tourist Visa from my local Consulate here in Auckland N.Z--I called them just to check all the required documents & payment remained the same-- to be sent by registered post etc.--as I have done many times over the last 10yrs--and they did---BUT!!!

They no longer accepted mail posting--I have to go and apply in person--and IF accepted- they will post my passport back ???

What's going on here ?---any of you Visa boffins have any info---I downloaded the application form from the Thai Embassy web-site-- nothing mentioned on that ??

Geeeze----not too much trouble if you live in the Auckland area---- will be a day trip for me---but a lot longer for folks further up north

Consulates in the UK have not been accepting visa applications by mail since, I think, January. Only the embassy in London now accepts such applications.

'Welcome' to the club..

Just as a side issue---

Consulates in the UK have not been accepting visa applications by mail since, I think, January. Only the embassy in London now accepts such applications.

'Welcome' to the club..

Yes, it looks like the Embassy's are clawing back some of the visa revenue. Maybe they want to eventually squeeze the consulates out of business.

Remember, the 'honorary consulates' who issue visas get to keep the fees.

Just as a side issue---

'Welcome' to the club..

Thanks. for that info baboon--

I wonder why they want this ?---is someone "assessing your suitability "- dress code -hair length--politeness etc.etc- from behind darkened windows--or just to make it as difficult as possible--angry.png --

I mean I am/we are Tourist for God's sake--not applying to Retire there-- or trying to get one over on them to stay longer than allowed to !!

Which is fairly easy to enforce as it is a simple rule. These days you can just use your smartphone and buy a exit ticket within minutes and are able to get on the plane. Without any solid method people will be refused boarding who should not be and allowed boarding who should not be. Likely the enforcement of the rules on air travel was delayed until August 12th to give them time to figure out how to implement it. A stamp in the passport when you leave the kingdom as to whether the person will be allowed another visa exempt entry I guess. All seems a bit hit and miss to me.

Which is fairly easy to enforce as it is a simple rule. These days you can just use your smartphone and buy a exit ticket within minutes and are able to get on the plane. Without any solid method people will be refused boarding who should not be and allowed boarding who should not be. Likely the enforcement of the rules on air travel was delayed until August 12th to give them time to figure out how to implement it. A stamp in the passport when you leave the kingdom as to whether the person will be allowed another visa exempt entry I guess. All seems a bit hit and miss to me.

I would say it will implemented on August 12 in stead of direct to give the visa exempt land border runners the time to exit via air and sort things out.

What about if I got 2 passports from different country (from europe) ?

I use one passport for go outside and use the another one to reenter ?

Don't do it. It can really backfire and cause a big problem if you are not very careful.

I read a report of a man spending 4 days in the slammer charged w/ forged docs, perjury and suspected terrorist activities.

On CNN web site pretty sure. Oh, I think he tried to transfer one of those stick-on visas to his other PP.

'nuff said

~

That guy was a terrorist. Nuff said. Patriko however, is one of the many millions of dual citizens in Europe alone. In Australia one in four residents is also a dual citizen, for example.

Like patriko, I have multiple citizenships (3 in fact) and your comment warning "don't do it" is ignorant as you know nothing about being a dual citizen, perhaps you are just jealous of the advantages of multiple passport.s

It is actually very easy to switch passports (but no one in their right mind would switch visas) when re-entering the same country. Say you are a dual Italian French citizen, you entered Thailand on your French passport and are now flying to Laos. You exit Thailand on your French, enter Laos on your Italian passport, then leave on your Italian, followed by re-entering Thailand, also on your Italian passport.

If you have a visa for Thailand in your French passport, then use that to re-enter for the reason that you'll get a longer stay and/or the purpose for which the visa was issued is based on it being in the French passport, so don't use the other one during the validity of the visa.

Easy peasy. Nothing illegal about it, it's what dual nationals do quite often.

By switching passports and applying for visas using different passports, it's possible to "play the system" a little and stay much longer on tourist visas/visa exemptions than someone with just one nationality. This is because consulates/embassies are generally unable to cross-link passports, and while immigration generally can, they usually turn a blind eye to it or don't do a search unless they are forced into doing so. I've never heard of a dual national getting caught for too many visa runs provided no one passport shows too much activity in a short period of time. As soon as one passport takes on the appearence of a border runner, you fly out, make a switch and then use another passport for a while.