From grocery delivery boy to Senate Speaker

Lite Beer

So the establishment have startet to groom another person to be their poster boy. Suthep is used up. Abhisit used up and sidelined. So now its time to feed the propaganda machine with a "success story". I would not give high odds on the following days seeing the Senate Speaker getting way more power then the constitution allows for the position. All "legal" of course.

This is what the next generation of thai politicians should be made of.

Hardworking humble people, not the politicians with a wealthy background, from corrupt families.

I say Let the army remove all ill-politicians from all parties and start the country from zero

Well, at least someone is counting on people to buy those stories. From grocery delivery boy to Senate Speaker. I want the story in between. There will be skeletons in that closet.

This is one of those "guy from nowhere rises to political prominence story but not unlike govts in American and other countries the problem is the individual must play the political game in order to get into this position and the longer in the game the greater chance those founding principles and values have deteriorated or changed.

• Like 1

This is one of those "guy from nowhere rises to political prominence story but not unlike govts in American and other countries the problem is the individual must play the political game in order to get into this position and the longer in the game the greater chance those founding principles and values have deteriorated or changed.

You meant something like this? wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPTJXdBBrcU

• Like 1

One of the most powerful jobs in the country and elected by nobody. Appointed by the ruling elite as a sop to the poor, but he will toe the line and back the wishes of the Elite.

He was elected by fellow senators. So stop spreading your lies.

To be elected there needs to be an election.The definition of the word Election :

An election is a formal decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to hold public office.

He was NOT elected. He was appointed.

Edited by Brian Corrigan
  • Like 1

This is what the next generation of thai politicians should be made of.

Hardworking humble people, not the politicians with a wealthy background, from corrupt families.

I say Let the army remove all ill-politicians from all parties and start the country from zero

Let's see whether he puts his words and his background into meaningful actions..,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One of the most powerful jobs in the country and elected by nobody. Appointed by the ruling elite as a sop to the poor, but he will toe the line and back the wishes of the Elite.

I am not spreading any lies. He was elected largely by non elected senators, appointed by the Ruling Elite including the far right grouping. comparing him to Margaret Thatcher, as was done above, is apt in terms of his political leanings and the grocer bit, but at least Maggie won 3 elections fair and square.

Edited by millwall_fan

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A Thai who grew up understanding the "value of work." He sounds like a thoughtful Thai. Too bad he announced his retirement already.

" A person who grew up understanding the "value of work" He sounds like a thoughtful person. Too bad you can't see past race!

When are we going to get a

''Dislike this'' button?

There are various posts I'd like to use it on, I'm sure others will agree.

If you press the "like" button you will then be given the opportunity to "unlike" the post.

Maybe that will make you feel better.

• Like 1

When are we going to get a

''Dislike this'' button?

There are various posts I'd like to use it on, I'm sure others will agree.

I've a feeling it could lead to a certain degree of disharmony.

We use to have it but its gone, its too bad it would show the red cheerleaders a bit about how popular they are. For me its still hard to believe that there are foreigners with education supporting the reds. I know a few of them are the real deal not paid ones like many of the newbies.

Likes give a much more positive feel to the forum. With dislike you end up with surreal faux polls like on BP where all manner of idiots just skip down every page clicking buttons. Well done TV for not having it.

You like something, you vote for it. Works a bit like the thing Suthep is trying to get banned now doesn't it.... Elections that is.

Unlike you, I can believe there are falangs who could support a fascist take over. We've seen it in Europe so nothing should surprise us. Don't have to support the red shirts to want this vile bunch off our streets. Those of us with children can see Sutheps kin oppressing the country for most of their lifetimes unless he is stopped. Lets hope that is soon

Bottom line: He advises his clients how to minimize their taxes while complying with the law. And you find this disturbing? "Avoiding taxes" would be working off the books, failing to report, claiming false information, such as keeping employees on the payroll to get tax credits after the employee quit work. "Avoiding taxes" is a criminal act. I would say that in this post you have defamed this individual.

For someone who claims to be a former university lecturer, I am perplexed by your inability to comprehend what I wrote. You provide your own definition of "avoiding taxes" emphasizing criminal activity. Perhaps that is your experience, but it is not what a tax lawyer does, nor what I wrote. I have not accused the new Senate President of an illegal activity. As I stated, tax counsel(s) help their clients minimize paying taxes by exploiting tax loopholes. They help wealthy people who import expensive items circumvent the excise taxes. I do not criticize him for that as it was his job to represent his clients, ..... I respect the gentleman for his legal skills and success and do not criticize him for carrying out his obligation to represent his clients.

Sometimes a tax lawyer offers advice such as in the structuring of an offshore tax structure. As 3 of the members of "One Direction" who now face a 20 million pound liability can now attest, the advice can be inappropriate. Other times, it can be guidance in the best way to minimize tax liabilities in a jurisdiction, as demonstrated by the recent flurry of pharmaceutical companies transferring their head offices and holding companies offshore to Ireland.

One seeks the advice of a competent tax counsel to minimize and avoid tax liabilities. There is nothing wrong in that, as it is legal. I have personally benefited from such services so as to avoid double taxation. However, it raises the issue as to whether someone who has previously made a living through the interpretation of a cumbersome and difficult tax code to the benefit of a client is most appropriate for a job that will require intense mediation skills and an interpretation of the existing constitutional laws for the benefit of a nation. The new Senate President may be an excellent tax counsel and I do not take anything away from that, but the skillset now required, is quite different. One doesn't send an electrician to repair leaking pipes.

I do not criticize him for being a lawyer or even a tax lawyer. My concern is that he doesn't have the background nor the work experience for a task that requires a deep knowledge of constitutional law and mediation. He doesn't have the formal education to address some very complex constitutional issues. He may be an intelligent man, and a wonderful person, but it's like asking a pathologist to perform a heart-lung transplant. His training is as follows;

- Certificate, the Programme for Senior Executives on Justice Administration (Class 7), National Justice Academy

- Certificate in Administrative Law (Class 1), Institute of Legal Education, Thai Bar Association

- The National Defence Course for the Joint State-Private Sectors, National Defence College

Edited by geriatrickid

Really? Why does the Nation Media state the following;

Surachai later sought selection as an appointed senator, which he has been for two terms

I think The nation meant two years.rolleyes.gif

I suggest you read his senate biography;

Previous Occupation:

Selected Senator (2008-2011)

Thailand's Constitution of 2007

Section 117

The term of the Senate is six years as from the election day or the day of announcement of the
selection result by the Selective Committee for selected senators, as the case may be. Senators shall
not serve for consecutive terms.

I believe the process was "adapted" to allow some the senators appointed by the military coup to be reappointed by the Abhisit government. He was first appointed by the military dictatorship in 2008 wasn't he? And wasn't he reappointed again in 2011? If I have it wrong, please correct me.

Edited by geriatrickid

I do not criticize him for being a lawyer or even a tax lawyer. My concern is that he doesn't have the background nor the work experience for a task that requires a deep knowledge of constitutional law and mediation. He doesn't have the formal education to address some very complex constitutional issues. He may be an intelligent man, and a wonderful person, but it's like asking a pathologist to perform a heart-lung transplant. His training is as follows;

- Certificate, the Programme for Senior Executives on Justice Administration (Class 7), National Justice Academy

- Certificate in Administrative Law (Class 1), Institute of Legal Education, Thai Bar Association

- The National Defence Course for the Joint State-Private Sectors, National Defence College

I would suggest that this applies to quite a few of Thailand's politicians.

Not saying he's the top man for the job, or that his credentials are stellar.

He was probably a compromise candidate, let us hope he is at least not as bad as some of the others.

There are many here when someone who really understands the needs and wants of the Thai people

They instantly become agressive and pull his character down

How can we complain about decisions of Thais

when Farlangs have the same failings

Like crabs we pull down any one that look like the can get us out of this mess

You do not know who this gentleman is do you? You have relied on a laudatory fluff piece, upon which you make the assumption that he is the greatest thing since sliced white bread. Do you know what his legal background is and what he specialized in? He was a tax lawyer. Do you know what tax lawyers do? They help their clients minimize paying taxes by exploiting tax loopholes. They help wealthy people who import expensive items circumvent the excise taxes. I do not criticize him for that as it was his job to represent his clients, just as it is Mr. Amsterdam's job to represent his clients. However, I find it odd that many of the people who are quick to hurl abuse at Mr. Amsterdam for taking on some fundamental human rights and international cases, that these same people look the other way when a lawyer who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is made senate speaker. I respect the gentleman for his legal skills and success and do not criticize him for carrying out his obligation to represent his clients. However, in a time where so much is made of needing to have people who will do the right thing, it begs the question as to whether a man who made his living helping people avoid paying taxes is the appropriate person for the job.

When he served on the bar administrative council, why didn't he introduce transparency and accountability regulations when that council redrafted them? Are you aware of any lawyers who are under sanction or have complaints? If you are you would be making history, because the bar association will not provide full disclosure as do bars in other countries. I am not blaming him for that, but I believe he shared the majority view of his peers who did not think it necessary to have such disclosure to the public. And therein lies another of my concerns. He is not a reformer and has no history of such. All of the detractors of the government say reform is needed. Fine. Then why get all giddy over a man who has no history as a reformer?

And now this brings us to the appointed senator. I find it laughable that some on this thread call him a man of the people. He did not present himself to the people for validation did he? What charities is he active in? He's like any other successful Thai, and it is no secret that very few of Thailand's establishment, whether Democrat or PTP or any other political affiliation, give back to society in the same way one sees such people do in the West or Japan or Hong Kong. So much for the people. I offer that there are probably a few TVFers with their limited means who have given more to Thai society than the typical Thai senator.

The very fact that the 40 ultra right wing senators promoted him as their candidate speaks volumes. That is why I am disturbed by his selection. He is part of the old guard who wish to block any movement forward, but who wish to remain in the past. I want to believe that he may be a decent and kind hearted gentleman. I also want to believe that he is charitable and honest. Unfortunately, his record as a senator does not suggest that he is capable of moving any reforms forward or of even being able to negotiate a settlement to the current impasse. He's a tax lawyer, not a labour mediator.

You probably also want to believe there is an Easter Bunny.......you do rave on sbout things. Most of what you write is useless information...please take a "time out "

• Like 1