England World Cup Thread

MrRed

Lampard rarely ( if ever ) played 90 minutes in the heat and humidity of Stamford Bridge last season.

Need da young boys.

Last time i saw Lampard play for Chelsea he was brought on with thirty odd minutes to go to hold the midfield and finished the game with a 67% pass completion! That said, he's been an outstanding player for Chelsea but i really can't see him dealing with that climate, let alone in Manaus.

• Like 1

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Italy will be at a big advantage in Manaus. Short sharp bursts of activity and a lot of boring possession stuff like the Italian League.

From a sports science perspective, black players are physiologically better suited to conditions in Manaus.

Pirlo will probably be conservative in his energy management I would have fought.

There was mention yesterday that my choice of Gerrard and Lamps in the middle was not good due to the heat. Totally disagree on that point. An older athlete has as much, if not more endurance than a youngster. Just look at the average age of top distance runners. Leadership is what the team needs, and not the wishy washy Rooney variety.

footballers aren't distance/endurance runners in the same way though mate. a football match is made up of sprints, short intense bursts followed by short periods of walking to get breath back. in heat and humidity that tires players out much faster.

Yup, understand all of that. My point is older men, generally, have more endurance than youngsters. For example, the average age of a British Soldier passing SAS selection is closer to 30 years old than it is to 21 years old. Guts, endurance, determination all play a part, and the likes of Lamps and Stevie will have as much as, if not more than the youngsters. So the belief that they can't hack the heat based on age is misguided in my view.

Your example has no relevance, it is not comparable.

There is no way that a professional footballer in the age range of Gerrard or Lampard have greater endurance than a 21 year old professional footballer. An older players footballing talent, determination and intelligence for the game may be better for it's experience but endurance it ain't. Their bodies have been charging at maximum rates, being constantly challenged to perform at their peak and been battered along the way, throw 30+ degrees heat and serious humidity in to the mix for sure they will wilt sooner.

Using Ian's logic possibly Gerrard and Lampard would be even better in Brazil at 50 than now.

• Like 2

StevieH summed it up. They are not long distance runners. They are guys who cover incredible distances but it is done in short sharp bursts.

More Usain Bolt than Mo Farah.

Many top marathon runners over 30 granted.

Don't need plodders in Brazil.

With any luck, Roy is listening to the sports scientists and may well play youth in Manaus. Preferably black youth, Sturridge, Sterling, Welbeck, The Ox.

Sterling is obviously very good in the heat and humidity. Ox was fab til he did his knee.

Promising if Roy gets it right.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by P45Mustang

Some would seriously play Lampard, the invisible man himself??

He never performed for England in his peak years, let alone now.

The knowledge on here is shocking.

i love people who say lines like that. are you watching the world cup in a london pub by any chance?

• Like 1

Some would seriously play Lampard, the invisible man himself??

He never performed for England in his peak years, let alone now.

The knowledge on here is shocking.

Why don't you just do one then, like you promised you would?

When I saw this thread I wasn't going to open it as I knew the knowledge here would be shocking, I wasn't disappointed.

I won't be returning.

Oh here's the stalker. You have been waiting patiently for me to post again haven't you, so you could say just what you said. Well done you.

LOL!!

I went to Rio and knew coming back to England was a mistake. I had no choice though.

( Went on business, stayed in Leblon, on the ocean just up from Sao Conrado where England hotel is. Stunning energy place. The girl from Ipanema, and the Maracana. )

Come on Phil.

thumbsup.gif

Italy will be at a big advantage in Manaus. Short sharp bursts of activity and a lot of boring possession stuff like the Italian League.

From a sports science perspective, black players are physiologically better suited to conditions in Manaus.

Pirlo will probably be conservative in his energy management I would have fought.

So p45, how exactly are black players 'physiologically better suited to conditions in Manaus'? facepalm.gif

So p45, how exactly are black players 'physiologically better suited to conditions in Manaus'? facepalm.gif

Can of worms ALERT !!!!!thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Oh and the more I think about warming up in rio is a bit stupid, rio to manaus is getting on for 3000 miles away, bit like london to tunisia or 3 /4 s of

the way to Cairo .

not the brightest these football bod's thumbsup.gif

Don't get up tight guys I've got a University degree in Exercise Physiology. ( True. Not a TVF blag ).

Superior athletic performance of black athletes ( especially in what our US friends call Track & Field ) is a well studied phenomenon.

It all started with the Mexico Olympics in 1968. High altitude and very hot. Fascinating subject.

Sterling will do just fine in Manaus.

thumbsup.gif

Funny thing about Brazil though is, if you stay in a 5***** star hotel like the England boys are, 100 metres up the hillside you have shanty town.

Favela.

Juxtaposition of wealth and poverty is stunning.

So when the kid comes out of the Favela and becomes a superstar at the Maracana, fair play.

Brazil. Spiritual home of football, England invented it.

Jogo Bonito.

thumbsup.gif

Don't get up tight guys I've got a University degree in Exercise Physiology. ( True. Not a TVF blag ).

Superior athletic performance of black athletes ( especially in what our US friends call Track & Field ) is a well studied phenomenon.

It all started with the Mexico Olympics in 1968. High altitude and very hot. Fascinating subject.

Sterling will do just fine in Manaus.

thumbsup.gif

High altitude in Mexico City for sure, but not hot for the Olympics in '68. They held them in October and the DF isn't hot then.

British Olympic athletes found Mexico City '68 extremely hot, I can assure you. Especially the marathon runners. smile.png

( Tommie Smith won the 200 metres and did the Black Power salute on the winner's podium. I remember it well. wai2.gif ).

Edited by P45Mustang

British Olympic athletes found Mexico City '68 extremely hot, I can assure you. Especially the marathon runners. smile.png

( Tommie Smith won the 200 metres and did the Black Power salute on the winner's podium. I remember it well. wai2.gif ).

Like I said, it doesn't get hot in Mexico City in October. I've lived there, but have it your way if you like.thumbsup.gif

jesus h.

Adam Lallana Visits Favela And Makes Horrific Gaffe
England visited a favela on Monday as they continued to be "good tourists", yet Adam Lallana was anything but.
Asked about visiting an impoverished slum, the Southampton midfielder was quoted as saying: "To be around players like us may be a life-changing experience for them."
It was another case of life imitating art. A 2009 episode of The Thick of It featured the line "being inspired out of poverty".
Lallana reported referee Mark Clattenburg to Southampton earlier this season after the official told him "You are very different now, since you've played for England - you never used to be like this."
Maybe Clattenburg was right.

Like I said, it doesn't get hot in Mexico City in October. I've lived there, but have it your way if you like.thumbsup.gif

If you are used to running Marathons in Manchester in Winter time, Mexico City was a tropical nightmare.

thumbsup.gif

jesus h.

Adam Lallana Visits Favela And Makes Horrific Gaffe
England visited a favela on Monday as they continued to be "good tourists", yet Adam Lallana was anything but.
Asked about visiting an impoverished slum, the Southampton midfielder was quoted as saying: "To be around players like us may be a life-changing experience for them."
It was another case of life imitating art. A 2009 episode of The Thick of It featured the line "being inspired out of poverty".
Lallana reported referee Mark Clattenburg to Southampton earlier this season after the official told him "You are very different now, since you've played for England - you never used to be like this."
Maybe Clattenburg was right.

The kids probably said "quien coño eres tú Knob-ed?"

you'd hope it's just another case of...."here comes thicko"

The Thick of it...one of the best British comedies in years

• Like 1