England World Cup Thread

MrRed

I'm trying extremely hard to keep my eyes open and aiming for at least the first half.

If I'm honest I prefer to watch the big games and not too fussed if I miss England's games. Too much past disappointment.

I have a feeling tonight's game will be a cracker and along with a small, ahem, vested interest.

Come on Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree.

(On a side issue, Falcao is injured, doesn't play for Colombia, and a lot of people in the know say because he's missing the others play better. No Lampard, no Rooney, thumbsup.gif )

Germany-Portugal should be entertaining.

smile.png

I bet the Portuguese are crapping themselves.... Get ready for a German display of Audi ..... Cannot spell DVSPTK....

Far too easy. Portugal will not get beyond the next round. Germany in the semi's for sure. Sorry for Rinaldo - it should have been his year, but surrounded by too many half wits this time around.

I write as an Englishman. I'm a Brit and I'm from the UK. Also, I support Wales, Scotland and Ireland, no matter the sport, whenever they are playing any other country, except England. I played football and still enjoy golf and it just so happens that in addition to the World Cup I've been keeping an eye on the US Open Golf which finished yesterday. That well known Scottish golfer Colin Montgomerie OBE was 'guesting' on TV coverage of the US Open as a UK 'expert' to impart his wisdom and punditory skills. At the start of the chat/show he was asked how he was feeling. His response left me shocked and saddened. Forgive the pun, but he said ( with a smirk) he was feeling 'chipper' because he'd heard England had lost to Italy. Towards the end of the show/chat he was asked who he thought would win the World Cup. His reply..."Brazil, the hosts, but definitely not England"!! This from a man whose worldwide golfing stature was elevated by the golfing skills and perseverance of several Englishmen and other Europeans, when he captained the winning Team in 2010 Ryder Cup. Sadly, I've noticed this 'anti -English' trait in many Scotsmen I've known, even though most of them have moved 'south of the border' to England to better themselves. Is it a touch of jealousy because of Scotlands habitual failure to qualify for the World Cup finals? Whatever it is you Scots should be ashamed of this negative attitude towards England FC. Even more shame on you Colin Montgomerie for demonstrating this petty isolationist attitude on worldwide TV coverage.

I had the misfortune to have to walk around a golf course with this pompous ass. Not only do most of the players not like him, but the Sky Sports team said that of all of the tour players, he is by far the worst for blaming sound, cameramen, stewards, etc. for his latest crap shot.

I wouldn't consider anything that tool says as being worth listening to.

I'm an Englishman and enjoy the good hearted banter from the jocks. All the Brits should rally around the representative of the Isles whoever it may be. That said I am bordering on a smidgins of hypocrisy here..... Watching the Scottish referendum keenly. If they get independence I might well buy a place North of the border to ensure any future return in my old age will be out of reach of the loonies in Westminster. Not sure if the Jocks will allow that? Maybe will have to apply for a non Imm o?

All the Rooney bashing is way over the top, he was played out of position on the left and had a ok game, but the english darling StevieG played in is natural position and was woeful but he does not get any criticism at all, Pirlo showed him what a real world class midfielder is!!!.

• Like 1

All the Rooney bashing is way over the top, he was played out of position on the left and had a ok game, but the english darling StevieG played in is natural position and was woeful but he does not get any criticism at all, Pirlo showed him what a real world class midfielder is!!!.

I was critical of Rooney after game but I agree that the criticisim has now gone too far. We have an obsession to get on players backs, and it's always on player in particular each tournament. We need a scapegoat, always.

Gary Neville makes some good points about the subject here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/world-cup-2014-gary-neville-7278153

• Like 1

Gary Neville is his mate, so it's logical that he'll defend him.

Unfortunately his performances do not merit the support. If there is no room for him other than playing on the left, put Oxtail Chamberpot in there, at least he has the pace to attack and chase back to help out Baines.

I was critical of Rooney after game but I agree that the criticisim has now gone too far. We have an obsession to get on players backs, and it's always on player in particular each tournament. We need a scapegoat, always.

Gary Neville makes some good points about the subject here: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/world-cup-2014-gary-neville-7278153

Who is your team Scarf?

Go on. Tell us from your heart.

( You've got a bit of work to do mind, before you convince me of your credentials. smile.png )

I write as an Englishman. I'm a Brit and I'm from the UK. Also, I support Wales, Scotland and Ireland, no matter the sport, whenever they are playing any other country, except England. I played football and still enjoy golf and it just so happens that in addition to the World Cup I've been keeping an eye on the US Open Golf which finished yesterday. That well known Scottish golfer Colin Montgomerie OBE was 'guesting' on TV coverage of the US Open as a UK 'expert' to impart his wisdom and punditory skills. At the start of the chat/show he was asked how he was feeling. His response left me shocked and saddened. Forgive the pun, but he said ( with a smirk) he was feeling 'chipper' because he'd heard England had lost to Italy. Towards the end of the show/chat he was asked who he thought would win the World Cup. His reply..."Brazil, the hosts, but definitely not England"!! This from a man whose worldwide golfing stature was elevated by the golfing skills and perseverance of several Englishmen and other Europeans, when he captained the winning Team in 2010 Ryder Cup. Sadly, I've noticed this 'anti -English' trait in many Scotsmen I've known, even though most of them have moved 'south of the border' to England to better themselves. Is it a touch of jealousy because of Scotlands habitual failure to qualify for the World Cup finals? Whatever it is you Scots should be ashamed of this negative attitude towards England FC. Even more shame on you Colin Montgomerie for demonstrating this petty isolationist attitude on worldwide TV coverage.

Agree with this....while we like to take the piss out of our neighbours over the football, exhibiting outright xenophobia towards the English on TV is just stupid.

I suggest he might have had a few sherbets before hand......

Poor old Mrs Doubtfire is a troubled soul. Never been able to get over not winning a major and not being born English. biggrin.png

All the Rooney bashing is way over the top,

Come on nev, this time we haven't slated him about his hair transplant or called him Shrek. He's got off lightly this year tongue.png

Thats all fair game mate, but he is being used as the scapegoat because England lost when i am pointing out there was worse players on the pitch.

Shame about his brother's performance on the Beeb.

Though some people did get a tad confused!

World Cup: Wrong Phil Neville receives Twitter abuse

People posting "I hope you die" to Neville just show what utter animals they are. No wonder they couldn't even send it to the right person.

Anyway, I think he did alright. There's already plenty of "passionate" ex-players in the job like Robbie Savage and Ian Wright, if Neville can find his own voice before these idiots destroy his potential football broadcasting might be better for it.

Seems anyone who goes anywhere near a World Cup football field these days without paying for their ticket is ripe for crucifixion.

• Like 1

All the Rooney bashing is way over the top,

Come on nev, this time we haven't slated him about his hair transplant or called him Shrek. He's got off lightly this year tongue.png

Thats all fair game mate, but he is being used as the scapegoat because England lost when i am pointing out there was worse players on the pitch.

I know buddy. You may or may not have noticed but I haven't been one of those slating him. But he and the rest of them better have the game of their lives against Uruguay.

United pay Rooney 300k a week. So he must be a good player, right....?

That is an idiot's argument!!

What it your PM's salary?

Right, you need to check it up. Silly boy!

Leave your boy's room boy, and see what the world is actually about.!!

If someone managed to sell 50 000 expensive tickets just to see me sing karaoke. Would I be worth it?

If someone paid a lot for a painting made by a serial killer. Would it be worth it?

If someone paid a lot for something hip, would it be worth it?

If someone paid a lot of money for the first ever, signed Beatles (I hate them) album. Would it be worth it?

If someone became the most scoring person in one of the most successful teams ever played in Europe. Would he be worth it?

If someone was the most scoring person in the history of England's national team. Would he be worth it?

Maybe not.

But do NOT EVER say that that kind of person is not good stuff!!

Probably play Rooney behind Sturridge with Raheem right.

Not sure about left hand side. Maybe Lallana can do that?

I'd play Shaw , but Roy will probably play LB at LB I would have thought.

Ox for impact maybe/hopefully.

Still a big question mark about RB.

Not sure we've got options.