England World Cup Thread

MrRed

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After watching the Uraguay v Costa Rica game it is clear neither team are in the same class as England. I predict the group will finish like this:

Italy 9

England 6

Costa Rica 3

Uraguay 0

Good for you.

I predict England can change their flight home to June 24th.

Stats are very important for baseball, but mean far less for football. The Italians don't mind at all giving corners away, or 'chances' from nearly impossible angles or distances. They hardly give any real chances away.

So looking at those stats England was the better team, still they had virtually no chance of winning the game. Stats do lie.

Of course they mind giving away corners and allowing chances. Keep doing that and before long you will get punished.

The reason why we didn't punish them more was more down to failing to finish moves off rather than rock solid defending, although not saying that their defending was bad. But on another day and against slightly sharper attackers, they'll concede a few goals and lose.

Stats are very important for baseball, but mean far less for football. The Italians don't mind at all giving corners away, or 'chances' from nearly impossible angles or distances. They hardly give any real chances away.

So looking at those stats England was the better team, still they had virtually no chance of winning the game. Stats do lie.

Of course they mind giving away corners and allowing chances. Keep doing that and before long you will get punished.

The reason why we didn't punish them more was more down to failing to finish moves off rather than rock solid defending, although not saying that their defending was bad. But on another day and against slightly sharper attackers, they'll concede a few goals and lose.

Just read my post again, and hopefully you'll understand that "'chances' from nearly impossible angles or distances." is not the same as 'giving away chances', as you wrote. The sentence "They hardly give any real chances away." should have helped.

Do agree with you, Italians are not that good, but you're giving too much credit to the fieldplay of the English. They (or you if you like) did hardly create anything, all they could get was what the Italians gave them, which was not enough to deserve a draw.

• Like 1

Fact is, you can use the stats to suit your story.

Or vice versa, like rixalex is.

smile.png

Garbage in, garbage out. Gingo.

Most interesting thing for me is who wins the World Cup and the method they use to achieve success.

van Gaal will have an opinion I'm sure. So will Scolari and the Argentine manager.

Roy will do his best as a passenger in the grand scheme of things.

smile.png

Just read my post again, and hopefully you'll understand that "'chances' from nearly impossible angles or distances." is not the same as 'giving away chances', as you wrote. The sentence "They hardly give any real chances away." should have helped.

Do agree with you, Italians are not that good, but you're giving too much credit to the fieldplay of the English. They (or you if you like) did hardly create anything, all they could get was what the Italians gave them, which was not enough to deserve a draw.

Yeah I read what you wrote. Didn't agree that our only chances in that game were from impossible angles or distances. No, they didn't give us any sitters but nor were they impossible chances. Our final passage of play was the real problem, not their defending, which as I say, wasn't bad, but wasn't impenetrable either.

As with war, it's usually the winners who get to write history. Just scrape through a victory by the skin of your teeth becomes a carefully organised strategy of allowing your opponent to have all the chances, confident in the knowledge that they'll never take them. Load of tosh but as I say, it's the winners prerogative how much grandstanding they want to indulge in.

As with war, it's usually the winners who get to write history. Just scrape through a victory by the skin of your teeth becomes a carefully organised strategy of allowing your opponent to have all the chances, confident in the knowledge that they'll never take them. Load of tosh but as I say, it's the winners prerogative how much grandstanding they want to indulge in.

Cruyff changed football thinking.

Who will win WC this time and by what method?

How in heavens can you say the back five was OK,we don't seem to have a dominant player in the heart of the defence and Baines had a terrible game, both Italian goals came from their right. I don't know who was marking Balotelli, but he certainly din't do a good job of it. As for the forward line I think they were very exciting and caused a lot of trouble to the Italian defence, and were unlucky not to have scored more.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

First and foremost, Baines was constantly being left exposed with huge amounts of space ceded in front of him and that wasn't his fault. Blame the midfield being pulled out of shape. So what if both goals came from crosses from the right. Look at them again and come back with a sensible statement. The only reasonable comment you make is that theres no one dominant at the heart of the defense but thats because we don't have a player with much experience and Terry wasn't up for selection, Rio's backs gone, so what on earth do you expect!! Or were you expecting them to perform like a settled back five with over three hundred caps between them and a wealth of understanding of each others play and movement?

there was no midfield. starting rooney on the left in that formation was madness and suicidal. he's incapable of defending, isn't fit enough and lacks discipline. so the whole first half italy's rightback darmian had acres to play in and baines was often left two on one. baines and gerrard were screaming at rooney all first half to track back and to stop wide with his man but he just didn't and played too far infield. shocking rubbish, and the manager then tried to address this in the second half by taking england's best attacking threat, sterling, and playing him wide to accommodate rooney in the middle.

i don't understand why he seems to be untouchable, he is not that good. maybe it's contractual that he has to start and finish every england match. yeah nice cross for the goal but there are plenty of others who could have done that. his inclusion felt like england played most of the match with ten men.

oh and with every substitution england got more shapeless and more disorganized. subs are supposed to impact positively on a game, hodgson's just made it more muddled.

good players in this squad, exciting, attacking, pacy players. manager hasn't a bloody clue still though and seems to be getting a pretty free ride in the press this morning.

I think you should have a pop at Gerrard and Henderson first if you are saying there was no midfield...as for your vicious attack on Rooney!!!

madness!

suicidal!

incapable of defending!!

Isn't fit enough!

lacks discipline!

Then you go on to say he is not that good tongue.png but the best bit i like was this gem.. .yeah nice cross for the goal but there are plenty of others who could have done that. his inclusion felt like england played most of the match with ten men. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

plenty of others? where mate? name them they didn't do it on the day did they! In fact the pass Rooney made was the goal all Sturridge had to do was tap it in.

Reading your other posts it is clear you hold a massive grudge against Hodgson and Rooney... and all things Liverpool good and bad you just ignore Johnson was poor and so was Gerrard btw and for me Sturridge needs to be more mobile to lead the line for England.

I do agree with you about Jack Wilshere though.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be much joy emanating on these football threads, despite the fact we are in the early stages of the World's biggest football spectacle.

Just a fair bit of England and Hodgson bashing, and a certain amount of club loyalty ( prejudice ) creeping in.

facepalm.gif

Is there a thread open that covers the World Cup from a bigger and more positive perspective?

I haven't found it yet.

Edited by P45Mustang

but the best bit i like was this gem.. .yeah nice cross for the goal but there are plenty of others who could have done that. his inclusion felt like england played most of the match with ten men. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

plenty of others? where mate? name them they didn't do it on the day did they! In fact the pass Rooney made was the goal all Sturridge had to do was tap it in.

I did wonder too about the comment that there are plenty of others who could have delivered the cross that Rooney did for the goal. Where were they then?

Disagree though about Sturridge only having a tap in. Of course you'd expect a striker to do the business with that ball but seen them sliced over many a time. Think credit for the goal should be shared pretty equally over all three involved, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge.

• Like 1

but the best bit i like was this gem.. .yeah nice cross for the goal but there are plenty of others who could have done that. his inclusion felt like england played most of the match with ten men. cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I did wonder too about the comment that there are plenty of others who could have delivered the cross that Rooney did for the goal. Where were they then?

Disagree though about Sturridge only having a tap in. Of course you'd expect a striker to do the business with that ball but seen them sliced over many a time. Think credit for the goal should be shared pretty equally over all three involved, Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge.

Fantastic goal. thumbsup.gif

Brilliant vision and execution by Sterling.

Perfection from Rooney.

Sturridge took it very well. Many strikers would have made a pig's ear of it. ( Must have been listening to No Fear Sterling. smile.png )

Where do you play Rooney next game?

Perfection from Rooney.

Sturridge took it very well. Many strikers would have made a pig's ear of it. ( Must have been listening to No Fear Sterling. smile.png )

Agree with all that and to answer the last question, Rooney should start on the bench. He does not fit in with the set up of our best team.

• Like 2

Agree.

(On a side issue, Falcao is injured, doesn't play for Colombia, and a lot of people in the know say because he's missing the others play better. No Lampard, no Rooney, thumbsup.gif )

Germany-Portugal should be entertaining.

smile.png

Perfection from Rooney.

Agree with all that and to answer the last question, Rooney should start on the bench. He does not fit in with the set up of our best team.

Not that I'm arguing against his poor form or the idea of possibly benching him, but..he fits in fine... if played in his right position. Crucial that he is, much like most other players. If Sturridge was played on Saturday in the position that Rooney was made to, would we be slating him for not having a great game? Of course not.
  • Like 1

11 - England have fired in more shots off target than any other team in the World Cup so far. Shank.

Source: @OptaJoe

Up to you if you want to do football like an accountant, a statistician, or a bean counter.....

but quite frankly I find it tedious.

smile.png

( I'll get me coat and scarf.)

Rooney should take a look at the Honda goal. Brilliance where he illustrates how to take a slightest touch and bury it in the back of the net with the minimum of fuss. For highlights of the Ivory Coast v Japan look on BBC 2 Sunday at 0930 hrs. Only slightly off topic.... Group C, we are gonna be playing one of them me thinks (and praying).

Edited by iancnx

Agree.

(On a side issue, Falcao is injured, doesn't play for Colombia, and a lot of people in the know say because he's missing the others play better. No Lampard, no Rooney, thumbsup.gif )

Germany-Portugal should be entertaining.

smile.png

I bet the Portuguese are crapping themselves.... Get ready for a German display of Audi ..... Cannot spell DVSPTK....

• Like 1