England World Cup Thread

MrRed

England had 7 on 2 for the 1st goal & 5 on 1 for the 2nd...The difference was 9.

Surprised at zero reaction on here (so far) to our defeat.Rooney did ok with ONE contribution in a crucial game again,so his inclusion was again justifiedwhistling.gif

As a whole ,a draw would have been fair .then again , the 'world class ' forwards have all come to the party so far in this tournament (Roy still wont admit Suarez is) & been the difference (loads of goals).

I see you keep having a pop at Rooney, when in fact he was the only player to test the keeper and did break his duck, but i will say he did not play that well, best of a bad bunch. Why Sturridge kept falling over was beyond me, at least Suarez manages to get free kicks for his theatrics.

Your first sentence summed up where the real problems were. The centre back pairing were a shambles, you would see better defending at your local park on a Sunday morning and neither full back looked comfortable when having too defend.

Great assist by Gerrard for their second goal, was his best pass all game.

• Like 1

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

them upstairs dropped the biggest ballok when they refused to give our brian the managers job,and now they have done it again by not giving it to one who all the players respect our harry,who knows the game inside and out.when I see the likes of garry Neville as a coach that says it all.why have they not give becks a go,as for a manager I expect they will put a few names in the hat and have a lucky dip.one thing I missed out is every side needs a hard man who's not afraid to put it about[and take it] England doesn't have one,remember,dave mackay,norman hunter,nobby stiles,there must have been plenty more oh yes

joey barton argually the best player in last yrs.championship.

Dave Mackay is a Scot but i take your point.

I thought England were disappointing this time out although i was impressed with what i saw against Italy. Hodgson's big mistake was not having the balls to drop Rooney, a player that clearly upsets the balance of the team and whose selection dictation our formation. The other mistake was again not giving Gerrard the protection to all him to make the plays.

Whilst i liked the attacking approach for me it again emphasis how better suited this group of players would be to Redknapps style of football. Not knocking the Hodge, its just my opinion.

I thought you were simply beaten by a superior team carmine.....there were chances both ends yes but overall Uruguay outplayed England.

Correct on Gerrard but in my opinion Rooney played well in your second game. Sterling as well....its the Man Utd palyer who should have gone off earlier....or probably not started.

Anyway its a lovely sunny day here....biggrin.png

them upstairs dropped the biggest ballok when they refused to give our brian the managers job,and now they have done it again by not giving it to one who all the players respect our harry,who knows the game inside and out.when I see the likes of garry Neville as a coach that says it all.why have they not give becks a go,as for a manager I expect they will put a few names in the hat and have a lucky dip.one thing I missed out is every side needs a hard man who's not afraid to put it about[and take it] England doesn't have one,remember,dave mackay,norman hunter,nobby stiles,there must have been plenty more oh yes

I thought England were disappointing this time out although i was impressed with what i saw against Italy. Hodgson's big mistake was not having the balls to drop Rooney, a player that clearly upsets the balance of the team and whose selection dictation our formation. The other mistake was again not giving Gerrard the protection to all him to make the plays.

Whilst i liked the attacking approach for me it again emphasis how better suited this group of players would be to Redknapps style of football. Not knocking the Hodge, its just my opinion.

+1

Totally agree.

Especially this "Rooney, a player that clearly upsets the balance of the team and whose selection dictation our formation."

Against Italy there was a sense of excitement when we had the ball. Against Uruguay? Were we tired, were the opposition a different kettle of fish?

Plenty of people have said that Roy's set up would expose Gerrard.

Unless I'm mistaken that is exactly what we saw last night.

​Strong leadership at the back? Maybe we should have taken Terry.

Easy with hindsight.

Barring miracles we are out. Exceptionally disappointing we won't have the opportunity to go into the next stage and adjust things.

• Like 1

Keep bashing the goal scorer, and the one who actually manage at least to get to chances.

Yes that is actually a skill.

But most of you would not know that because never actually played the game.

Gerrard caused both goals.

Simple as that.

Maybe a poll,

should GERRARD/HENDERSON be dropped for next game?

Btw,

most pundits, experts and news papers give Rooney the highest score of the lot.

But what do they know. They never really watch football that much.

tongue.png

• Like 1

Keep bashing the goal scorer, and the one who actually manage at least to get to chances.

Yes that is actually a skill.

But most of you would not know that because never actually played the game.

Gerrard caused both goals.

Simple as that.

Maybe a poll,

should GERRARD/HENDERSON be dropped for next game?

Btw,

most pundits, experts and news papers give Rooney the highest score of the lot.

But what do they know. They never really watch football that much.

tongue.png

Point taken about Rooney.

But his performance needs to be put in the context of what his inclusion does to the team's shape, method of play and possibly other players mentality.

A relative lack of contribution from Rooney when he played wide against Italy may actually have done us a favour in that game.

The ball into Sturridge was perfection, granted.

having a hard man in the side expecially at the back gives the whole team confidence,example the no 6 for Uruguay apart from his looks[scary] he did put himself about,but when he took that boot to the head you would have thought that's it for him,but did anyone argue with him when he refused to go off NO and he still carried on where he left off.watch him against Italy.

F.U...FA....Karma can be such a bitchfacepalm.gif .....

Luis Suarez said that his two goals in Uruguay’s 2-1 win over England were a response to those who had “laughed at his attitude” in the country where he has played club football since 2011.

Suarez said: "It was one of the best games I've played. It's an amazing moment for me. Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn't be possible. Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years. This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

Asked what he had said to his Liverpool team-mate Steven Gerrard at the end of the game, Suarez said: "I told him to keep going. He's the best player I've played with on the pitch. This is an unlucky moment for him. I don't like it when he hurts like this. I said: 'Keep going, forget this game, you're one of the best.'”

• Like 1

I thought you were simply beaten by a superior team carmine.....there were chances both ends yes but overall Uruguay outplayed England.

That's rubbish Smokie.

England had more possession and more passes.

Problem is they can't defend for <deleted>.

• Like 2

Correct on Gerrard but in my opinion Rooney played well in your second game. Sterling as well....its the Man Utd palyer who should have gone off earlier....or probably not started.

Anyway its a lovely sunny day here....biggrin.png

Yes i agree they were the better team mate, no doubt about that.

With regards Rooney, he might well have played ok but my point is, unless you are a Diego Maradona or a Pele then you are simply not good enough to compromise the entire team set up and Rooney is light years away from being good enough. What i find particularly galling is the fact that Roy didn't seem to learn from the first game. Yes, we played well against Italy but there were a couple of lessons to be learnt from and he clearly didn't. I'm talking more cover for Gerrard and drop Rooney for the benefit of giving the team its best balance.

• Like 1

That's rubbish Smokie.

Those stats don't mean they were the better team. Because clearly they (England) were not.

That's rubbish Smokie.

Those stats don't mean they were the better team. Because clearly they (England) were not.

Uruguay won because they took their chances and England didn't.

End of.

• Like 2

Suarez said: "It was one of the best games I've played. It's an amazing moment for me. Maybe a few days ago I thought this wouldn't be possible. Before the game too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years. This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

Still playing the "they've all got it in for me", conspiracy card then.

People laughed at him for a reason. Great for him that he is now letting his football do the talking, but doesn't somehow erase out of history his previous idiocy that brought about well deserved flack.

• Like 1

That's rubbish Smokie.

Righto. Horrible defending. Cahill was decent at times and caught out at others. Jag was darn near invisible. Gerrard really can't be expected to provide much cover for those two in midfield. But who else could Roy put in the back ? Phil Jones and Smalling are not international quality by any stretch of the imagination. Lack of defensive talent and grit all the way around.

• Like 1

From the BBC:

The only way England can stay in the World Cup

• England need Italy to win their remaining group games against Costa Rica and Uruguay to stay in the tournament.
  • Roy Hodgson's side then need to beat Costa Rica in their final group game.
  • England, Uruguay and Costa Rica would then each be on three points and qualification would be decided on goal difference.
  • But the statistics are not on England's side as no team has ever lost their opening two games at a World Cup and progressed from the group.

From the BBC:

The only way England can stay in the World Cup

• England need Italy to win their remaining group games against Costa Rica and Uruguay to stay in the tournament.
  • Roy Hodgson's side then need to beat Costa Rica in their final group game.
  • England, Uruguay and Costa Rica would then each be on three points and qualification would be decided on goal difference.
  • But the statistics are not on England's side as no team has ever lost their opening two games at a World Cup and progressed from the group.

Desperate stuff.... but it's not as if England fans haven't been through this kind of thing before. And what's the betting that if Italy do oblige we'll toss it away against Coast Rica. sad.png

I write as an Englishman. I'm a Brit and I'm from the UK. Also, I support Wales, Scotland and Ireland, no matter the sport, whenever they are playing any other country, except England. I played football and still enjoy golf and it just so happens that in addition to the World Cup I've been keeping an eye on the US Open Golf which finished yesterday. That well known Scottish golfer Colin Montgomerie OBE was 'guesting' on TV coverage of the US Open as a UK 'expert' to impart his wisdom and punditory skills. At the start of the chat/show he was asked how he was feeling. His response left me shocked and saddened. Forgive the pun, but he said ( with a smirk) he was feeling 'chipper' because he'd heard England had lost to Italy. Towards the end of the show/chat he was asked who he thought would win the World Cup. His reply..."Brazil, the hosts, but definitely not England"!! This from a man whose worldwide golfing stature was elevated by the golfing skills and perseverance of several Englishmen and other Europeans, when he captained the winning Team in 2010 Ryder Cup. Sadly, I've noticed this 'anti -English' trait in many Scotsmen I've known, even though most of them have moved 'south of the border' to England to better themselves. Is it a touch of jealousy because of Scotlands habitual failure to qualify for the World Cup finals? Whatever it is you Scots should be ashamed of this negative attitude towards England FC. Even more shame on you Colin Montgomerie for demonstrating this petty isolationist attitude on worldwide TV coverage.

I had the misfortune to have to walk around a golf course with this pompous ass. Not only do most of the players not like him, but the Sky Sports team said that of all of the tour players, he is by far the worst for blaming sound, cameramen, stewards, etc. for his latest crap shot.

I wouldn't consider anything that tool says as being worth listening to.

Montgomerie may despise the English , but he has a lovely pair of tits

• Like 1

two games, two matches with no midfield, two defeats. massive great hole where england's midfield should have been last night and as usual hogdson does nothing whatsoever to change it. he's utterly incapable. what kind of manager goes with an effective 4-2-4 formation in world cup games, concedes the midfield to the opposition before the match has kicked off and then does nothing to change it when the team is getting nowhere and getting pulled all over the place? oh yes, one who is the second highest paid manager at the world cup on £3.5m a year. of course.

• Like 1

I'm absolutely gutted. The only possible worse thing to happen this year is Tottenham get relegated. Wife and son's Nanny have played an absolute blinder today....... Stayed well out of it. I am gutted. Not prepared to apportion blame, criticise, or get on the media bandwagon. If heads are to roll, it's within the higher echelons of the FA - sack the rucking lot of em!

• Like 1

99% of all Englands problems is that everyone thinks that the premier league somehow is the pinnacle of football. It's not! English football is sh*te, and it definitely does not transfer to a world stage. You simply cannot play English Premier league footie in a world cup and expect to get somewhere. All the other european teams know this and that's why we are easy to dominate even by mediocre teams. The endless excuses make me laugh my sides off. Just because you are a great premier league player does not mean you can play international football well. Rooney and Gerard should have been set out to pasture in South Africa.

I'm sure Roy Hodgson is well aware of all of this though, yet continues to believe that somehow there's a special formula to make it work.

• Like 2

99% of all Englands problems is that everyone thinks that the premier league somehow is the pinnacle of football. It's not! English football is sh*te, and it definitely does not transfer to a world stage. You simply cannot play English Premier league footie in a world cup and expect to get somewhere. All the other european teams know this and that's why we are easy to dominate even by mediocre teams. The endless excuses make me laugh my sides off. Just because you are a great premier league player does not mean you can play international football well. Rooney and Gerard should have been set out to pasture in South Africa.

I'm sure Roy Hodgson is well aware of all of this though, yet continues to believe that somehow there's a special formula to make it work.

Fair point.

It has been suggested by people in the know that no England players play in other countries and it's a major disadvantage when it comes to International games.

Many countries players are playing abroad. Witness Brazil, Argentina etc. Players getting European experience with their clubs.

They have like a head start.

This might be the crux of the problem England has.

Certainly doesn't help.

Edited by P45Mustang
  • Like 2

99% don't you think that's a tad high?

Suarez is a great Premier league player & not bad at International level either ,loads more out there too.

TBH what you have written is a load of gonads.

• Like 1

Suarez is a great Premier league player & not bad at International level either ,loads more out there too.

Maybe not such a good idea to comment on a post you don't understand.

Maybe not such a good idea to comment on a post you don't understand.

Flipping right I don't understand it ,cos most of it's &lt;deleted&gt; sprinkled with hindsight .

C'mon how does he get the 99% & read the last line ,it's a contradiction.

Suarez has sussed European football cos he does it for Liverpool and Ajax.

He also understands South American football cos he's been there.

Copule that with gifted talent, and what do you get at World Cup.

Bang.

Same with Aguero etc.

Does that help?

• Like 1