Pulitzer reporters may face arrest in Thailand: police

Lite Beer

Pulitzer reporters may face arrest in Thailand: police

BANGKOK, May 12, 2014 (AFP) - Reporters with the Reuters news agency could face arrest in Thailand in connection with a Pulitzer Prize-winning article alleging Thai military involvement in people smuggling, police said Monday.

The Reuters journalists will be summoned in the next few days to acknowledge defamation charges, Lieutenant Somkid On-Jan told AFP from the southern island of Phuket where the complaint was filed by the Thai navy.

"If they do not come, arrest warrants will be issued," he said, adding that the summonses would be sent to Reuters' overseas headquarters.

Somkid did not name the journalists facing summonses but the two authors of the Reuters article at the centre of the legal row are believed to be living overseas so are unlikely to go on trial.

The article was part of a series about the plight of Myanmar's Rohingya -- a persecuted Muslim minority -- that was honoured with a Pulitzer Prize last month.

Reuters has defended its coverage as "fair and balanced".

The Thai navy is also suing an Australian and a Thai journalist for an article on a Phuket-based news website that quoted the Reuters report.

If convicted those two reporters could face up to two years' imprisonment for defamation and five years for breaching the Computer Crimes Act.

New York-based Human Rights Watch has denounced the case as "a dark stain on Thailand's record for respecting media freedom".

The stateless Rohingya are considered by the UN to be one of the world's most persecuted minorities.

Buddhist-Muslim clashes in 2012 in Myanmar's western state of Rakhine triggered an exodus of Rohingya asylum-seekers by boat.

Thailand ranked 130th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-12

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, why is this announced by the Police?

Second... i REALLY can't wait to see world-wide coverage of this one... "Thai Computer Crime's Act".

Third, is this is a lawsuit against individuals or Reuter's itself?

So much BS and innacuracy, before it's even started or kicked off the ground.

FOURTH - Reuters has all the videos and coverage, and if the RTN really want to make a laughing stock of Thailand... go ahead.... you will be removed by Chalerm (sorry, his replacement) head by head...

UN (not my father) and all and sundry have evidence in this matter... really... whoever is at the forefront of this Thai pursuit is off his rocker....

oops... Back to Chalerm again, whatcheesy.gif was that? I have a hearing problem.

• Like 1

If they do not come, arrest warrants will be issued," he said, adding that the summonses would be sent to Reuters' overseas headquarters.

I am not a lawyer, but if Reuters overseas head quarters is not in Thailand, then said believe summonses would not be enforceable anyway.

• Like 2

If they do not come, arrest warrants will be issued," he said, adding that the summonses would be sent to Reuters' overseas headquarters.

I am not a lawyer, but if Reuters overseas head quarters is not in Thailand, then said believe summonses would not be enforceable anyway.

They'll use Dubai extradition rules as a medium... you know.. ghosts an' all ;)

• Like 1

Ridiculous!

Now just imagine the allegations against the Thai Navy (or rather, certain Navy personnel) turning out to be true on one level or another.

It will make for a very, very interesting follow-up story incorporating the knee-jerk reactions displayed by local authorities and the rather blunt attempts at sweeping an alleged situation under the carpet.

When one wants to shoot oneself in the foot when the other is already bleeding, this approach certainly is the perfect methodology to achieve that.

Bravo, Thailand! In any other country a storm of internal inquiries and investigations would have broken lose to find out if the allegations bear any grain of truth or not, and who (if anyone) within the Navy might be involved.

But here it's as usual just outright denial to save face at any cost, no matter how hypocritical it may seem to the outside world.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

I don't think Somkid thought that through! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Reuters' chief Asia news desk is in Singapore. Picture desk used to be in HK.The AP Asia desk is in Bangkok.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I am always surprised when I see reactions like these posted. It seems to me that most, or all, of the posters really have no idea about this country.

The officials really couldnt care less what the "world" reaction would/could be. As long as they are protected by the age old patronage system then everything rotten will continue as usual.

If he broke the law, he must go to jail regardless what prize he won.

Yes, and let us not forget all the other law breakers that have arrest warrants and are quite free to travel unmolested within Thailand.

Freedom of the press and freedom of speech is an alien concept in some societies.

If he broke the law, he must go to jail regardless what prize he won.

Whose law? There are many countries in the world where Thai law is neither enforced nor even respected. and in the case of laws intended to silence criticism of authority it is not really surprising that people in other countries will be laughing at Thailand yet again...

Maybe if you send the journalists a free one way first class ticket on THAI Airways, they will be dumb enough to visit...

Edited by bangon04

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They really are keen to focus world attention on to Thailand's treatment of the boat people.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a thorough inquiry into the mistreatment the reporters uncovered then go after those responsible regardless of what service they are in or if they are private citizens.

That would show that Thailand is serious about combatting the problem and possibly even prevent them being dropped to No3 on the list.

There is no doubt that people smuggling is involved so surely going after those involved in the smuggling and making an attempt to stop it would be a better strategy, rather than attacking those who told you about it.

Even if it goes to the top in the service then it would be better to shut up and let it pass, for if the brass are involved then they are only putting their head in a noose by this legal action.

How about if it did get to court and the Reuters defense came out with proof of navy involvement that named names with videos and photos, not a shot in the foot but right between the eyes.

Do remember that the issue is that the Thai military is alleged to be participating in "human trafficking" and not in "smuggling." The former is a human rights violation that UN has taken issue with Thailand's ineffective prevention of the former. Judging from the Rueters report, now we know why.