Singapore Universal Studios & Hotel

Going to take family to Universal Studios on 31st or 1st (Sat or Sun).  Any advice from anyone who has been there?  Wife and I not big on rides (Big drop roller coasters) that make you sick but our adult daughter probably is. Should  we buy the fast track thing to beat the lines? We probably mainly will be going to show type stuff but am sure we will do some rides.  Been to Universal in LA a number of times and assume this one doesn't compare but feel free to share any thoughts / advice. Figuring it will be an all day thing and figured might as well book tickets online now. 

Also, any advice on Hotels? They are all expensive there. Used to go there for work and didn't have to pay but this time it is on me. The Holiday Inn has some very good reviews (says not like US Holiday Inns) and they seem to be reasonable and don't mind 3-people. Plus I smoke and the smoking rooms seem all they have good deals on but don't want wife and daughter in smoke smelly room. The MARINA MANDARIN has balconies in every room and thought that might be good smoking wise, a bit more pricey but we are not going to be there that long. I can't book online with 3-people in one room and having trouble getting through reservations phone. Thought maybe would just book and if they see our daughter then I will pay or whatever. 

Again, any info on either of the above would be really appreciated. (I see some similar threads here but look at least a few years old).

Depends on how busy Singapore is, but Universal can be sold out, so you should buy your tickets in advance.  I think you can get them over the internet.  I was there a couple of years ago and could not get entrance tickets for the days we were there.  My fault as it was a last minute spur of the moment thing.

Do go see the Marina Bay Sands hotel.  Visitors can go up top to get a great view of the city.  Also go and visit the park across the highway from the Sands.  The park is free, but some venues inside are not.

Did you know that Tawandang has a restaurant in the Dempsy Hill complex.  Block 26, if I recall.  Small, but the same menu as here and the same great beer.

As for hotel, I usually stay at Hotel Re at Pearl Hill.  It is within walking distance of Clarke Quay and a metro station.  Last time I went it was about US$150 for a small room.  Google them for thier web site.

edit:  sorry, I think Hotel Re is a non smoking hotel.

Edited by WhizBang

Some good comments regarding a Universal trip. I guess I got lucky on my last visit because I didn't know it could be sold out. You won't be there long and in my experience you can do the park in one day if you get there early. Per another post, yes....a good idea to buy online in advance! Also, a nice attraction is the Singapore Flyer and the Chili Crab should not be missed. I don't think you need something too close to the park as I remember the train system being very good. Have a great trip!

I suggest booking the Universal Studio tickets through a Singapore travel agency called; Asiatravel.com (www.asiatravel.com)

Go into the site, tab under Singapore in which there will be a list of hotels and a tab for tours/excursions.  I book with them

many times and had good experience.

You'll be able to get the tour (Universal studio) only w/bus transportation and an option to buy a meal coupon.  Once the bus

takes you to the property, you go to the tour Kiosk with your voucher and retrieve your tickets.  The pricing is very good.

FYI: there is Legoland as well situated across the Singapore border in which you can also go by bus with the same company.

I did both trips with my youngest daughter.  The Flywheel and duck tours were great too.

lastly, you should google - Singapore holidays just to check if the days 30/31 are okay, if not it can be very busy at parks, shopping etc.

• 2 months later...

Just realized I never came back to thank you guys for your feedback.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Orchard ... nice hotel, very good price for Singapore and certainly not like Holiday Inns in the states. Did pay extra for the executive lounge access which was nice as was breakfast.

Universal was a fun day. Bought online and glad I paid extra for the Fast Pass which I think near doubled the price of the tickets. Some of the lines were extremely long but no lines at all with the fast pass.

Thanks Again.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Orchard ... nice hotel, very good price for Singapore and certainly not like Holiday Inns in the states. Did pay extra for the executive lounge access which was nice as was breakfast.

Universal was a fun day. Bought online and glad I paid extra for the Fast Pass which I think near doubled the price of the tickets. Some of the lines were extremely long but no lines at all with the fast pass.

Thanks Again.

I looked in the past but rate was about SGD300 per night for the Holiday Inn ?

Thanks Again.

I looked in the past but rate was about SGD300 per night for the Holiday Inn ?

It just looked up the email receipt. SGD309 (with fees and tax) but that was for 3 People and a Club room (breakfast and Exec lounge for 3). 

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

one would think for over $240  it would have been a good room;

we used to stay at the shangra la rasta resort on Sentosa when my daughter was young ( back 1996-2002) back than it was like $120/night now $340

Prices have really climbed high down there.  I think hotel have one of the highest occupancy rates i the world.

Even so i still love Sentosa