Good (and Cheap!) New Indian Vegetarian Buffet

Jimmyd

I think it's OK if the food is really good.

It isnt that good and the choice is very limited. 100-120B was about right and I would have continued to go once a week indefinitely at that price. They will never see me there at 240B + 40B for water.

I think it's OK if the food is really good.

It isnt that good and the choice is very limited. 100-120B was about right and I would have continued to go once a week indefinitely at that price. They will never see me there at 240B + 40B for water.

They might not see me in either. The thing is, as we all know, Indian food is generally not cheap in this town and not especially great either. Buffets at least offer a way to get a variety meal without paying 1000 baht. I will probably pop by and at least LOOK at it. I think you're probably right that they will lose a lot of people and probably me as well, but I will look. The last time I looked a few weeks ago not even sure of the price, I looked and left. Didn't even seem worth the old price to me. The great thing about buffets is that you get to see what you're getting, so it's a fair deal if you accept it, otherwise walk out.

I will probably pop by and at least LOOK at it. I think you're probably right that they will lose a lot of people and probably me as well, but I will look. The last time I looked a few weeks ago not even sure of the price, I looked and left. Didn't even seem worth the old price to me. The great thing about buffets is that you get to see what you're getting, so it's a fair deal if you accept it, otherwise walk out.

Absolutely. I do the same and will always go in and look at what's on offer at least once, even if I think it is unlikely to appeal to me. On occasions I have been very pleasantly surprised.

I have an update on this.

I stopped by and looked at the buffet.

I didn't notice a lot more extra choices but they are now offering yogurt (not before).

OK, I think one extra dish choice and also the yogurt.

The dal was dal makhani which I didn't want so I looked at the a la carte menu.

Many South Indian items for mostly 99 baht (plus plus) like a dosa for example.

I tried two of them. They were both small portions and light so not too much food.

The food was pretty good.

I think in my experience similar South Indian items, similar price at Saras (Royal Garden Mall) are probably better, but it's a matter of taste.

Bottled water is 30 baht plus plus.

Right now FOR THIS MONTH, Indian tea is offered included with the buffet price (but you'll need to ask for it).

Was told by manager if you don't want the free tea (this month only) you can ask and get a bottle of water instead (free).

I wouldn't count on the staff actually knowing that.

Be sure to confirm when ordering.

There will be a new promotion every month. Check the sign in front!

Spoke to the manager and suggested that expats might be more value conscious than tourists and with the new prices plus the PLUS PLUS, it would be a nice thing to offer free regular drinking water (not in bottles) all the time.

He agreed he could do that.

Again, that does not mean the staff knows about this or if it really reflects a change in policy, so you must ask and/or talk to a manager.

Was also informed the money charged in the "service" item of the plus plus charge does NOT go to the wait staff.

This is not a happy thing for the staff as many customers assume they are already paying the tip in the service charge.

So if you do actually want to tip, then this place is really

PLUS

PLUS and then

PLUS

I am just passing along this information as objectively as possible. Decide whether this is a place you want to eat yourself!

Edited by Jingthing

Thank goodness i read the last page ,as its early in the morning i read the first page and thought ,that sounds a good deal have to take the wife and our son there lunchtime ,would have had a suprise to find that it was not as written by the op ,then i saw the date it was originally written ,!! so wont bother ,there are other places at this sort of price.smile.png

• Like 1

I have an update on this.

I stopped by and looked at the buffet.

I didn't notice a lot more extra choices but they are now offering yogurt (not before).

OK, I think one extra dish choice and also the yogurt.

The dal was dal makhani which I didn't want so I looked at the a la carte menu.

Many South Indian items for mostly 99 baht (plus plus) like a dosa for example.

I tried two of them. They were both small portions and light so not too much food.

The food was pretty good.

I think in my experience similar South Indian items, similar price at Saras (Royal Garden Mall) are probably better, but it's a matter of taste.

Bottled water is 30 baht plus plus.

Right now FOR THIS MONTH, Indian tea is offered included with the buffet price (but you'll need to ask for it).

Was told by manager if you don't want the free tea (this month only) you can ask and get a bottle of water instead (free).

I wouldn't count on the staff actually knowing that.

Be sure to confirm when ordering.

There will be a new promotion every month. Check the sign in front!

Spoke to the manager and suggested that expats might be more value conscious than tourists and with the new prices plus the PLUS PLUS, it would be a nice thing to offer free regular drinking water (not in bottles) all the time.

He agreed he could do that.

Again, that does not mean the staff knows about this or if it really reflects a change in policy, so you must ask and/or talk to a manager.

Was also informed the money charged in the "service" item of the plus plus charge does NOT go to the wait staff.

This is not a happy thing for the staff as many customers assume they are already paying the tip in the service charge.

So if you do actually want to tip, then this place is really

PLUS

PLUS and then

PLUS

I am just passing along this information as objectively as possible. Decide whether this is a place you want to eat yourself!

I too was interested at first but with all the plus plus and pluses and the fact they don't pass on the service charges to the staff, they can keep trying to "hook in" the tourists. Plenty of other places with water free or at 10 baht and at better prices too.

The free water thing may sound trivial and perhaps it is but it is customary to offer free drinking water at Indian buffets in Pattaya. An exception was the defunct one at Dicey O'Reillys

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

This place seems to have changed its offer yet again. Yesterday I noticed a new sign outside that seems to be promoting the same buffet but now in one of the restaurants inside the building (I suppose the one in the basement).

The price is still 199B++ but "Indian style tea" is included.

Has anyone actually been there recently and knows what is going on?

The outdoor one didn't appear to be a big hit.

Well, it was a modest hit with me until they doubled the price and removed the free water.

Places that keep messing around with their menus and pricing structure are a PITA.

Yeah that couldn't last.

So the outdoor buffet is closed ?

From what I could see earlier today it has vanished completely. Shame. At 120B incl. water I would have gone at least once every week for a nice curry hit.

Today the one near Tony was closed also, maybe closed on Sunday ?

I drove past there today and I have the strangest impression that they have moved to another shop in the same row about 20 yards from where they used to be. The place I think they used to be in is completely empty, and the new place seems to have the same furniture and decorations as in the old place.

Or maybe I'm just going senile.

So the outdoor buffet is closed ?

From what I could see earlier today it has vanished completely. Shame. At 120B incl. water I would have gone at least once every week for a nice curry hit.

Today the one near Tony was closed also, maybe closed on Sunday ?

I drove past there today and I have the strangest impression that they have moved to another shop in the same row about 20 yards from where they used to be. The place I think they used to be in is completely empty, and the new place seems to have the same furniture and decorations as in the old place.

Or maybe I'm just going senile.

No ! You are right !

They moved !

It seems that they did it overnight ? haha so weird...

• 2 months later...

They moved? I have been there like 2 weeks ago.

I guess hotel guests get the buffet as part of their package?

It's the one near Tony's that moved, not the Sun City one.

I thought the Sun City one had ceased to exist entirely as they no longer advertise it outside. How much is it now and what do you get?

They moved? I have been there like 2 weeks ago.

I guess hotel guests get the buffet as part of their package?

It's the one near Tony's that moved, not the Sun City one.

I thought the Sun City one had ceased to exist entirely as they no longer advertise it outside. How much is it now and what do you get?

Same deal as always. It was pretty deserted so I couldn't get my naan as there was only two Thai guys, they said the buffet is free, that's why I assumed the hotel people get it included.

When I was finished someone came with a bill, 116 incl water which is free again. Food was fine and I liked not being disturbed by that annoying lady who comes around every two minutes asking you if you want anything and if everything's okay and tries to sell you 300 baht tea boxes when you're finished.

Same deal as always. It was pretty deserted so I couldn't get my naan as there was only two Thai guys, they said the buffet is free, that's why I assumed the hotel people get it included.

When I was finished someone came with a bill, 116 incl water which is free again. Food was fine and I liked not being disturbed by that annoying lady who comes around every two minutes asking you if you want anything and if everything's okay and tries to sell you 300 baht tea boxes when you're finished.

Amazing. They double the price to 200B++, then once everyone had stopped going they moved it inside, put the price back down and stopped advertising it outside.

I wonder which business school the manager went to?

It is still outside though...

Do you mean the ad or the meal?

I drive past several times a week and always look to see if anything is going on but I haven't seen the signboard outside for months, and I cant say I have noticed anyone eating outside either.

btw the palak paneer they had yesterday was excellent.

Right, I'll be in there tomorrow. This place is something I have been missing badly (at the old sensible price).

Still cant believe that they don't advertise it. unsure.png

We are talking about the veg buffet right outside of Sun City hotel. For whatever reason they don't advertise it anymore but it's still there.

KittenKong did you go there yesterday? Did you like it?

Btw you need to ask for naan, they don't ask you anymore. They make it fresh and it's free. Choice of plain or butter naan.

KittenKong did you go there yesterday? Did you like it?

Btw you need to ask for naan, they don't ask you anymore. They make it fresh and it's free. Choice of plain or butter naan.

I had too much stuff to use up in my fridge! I am re-scheduling it for Thursday evening as I have an appointment in Pattaya then anyway. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the tip about the naan.

Finally got there.

The buffet is pretty much as before, but the amount of food actually on display has been reduced as mentioned. Salad was kept in the fridge and served by the waiter. Naan to order, and appeared quickly. The only thing that was no longer in the buffet was the dessert, which I didn't like anyway.

The price was the same as it used to be but water (or another pay drink) is now obligatory. So the full price for buffet and bottled Chang water is about 150B, which of course is more than it's worth but not bad by Pattaya Indian standards. The food certainly tastes OK.