NBTC settles the price range of top box and antenna at 1,670 - 1,680 baht

webfact

NBTC settles the price range of top box and antenna at 1,670 - 1,680 baht

PNECO570513001000601_13052014_115137.jpg

BANGKOK, 13 May 2014, (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has set the range of set-top box price at 1,670 - 1,680 baht, significantly lower than that offered abroad.

According to NBTC’s head Natee Sukonrat, the commission came up with the decision after the Broadcasting and Telecommunications Research and Development Fund for the Public Interest (BTFP) had appointed it to analyze an appropriate price for the device.

He also pointed out that the proposed price is considerably lower than that of Singapore, which has been selling for 3,400 baht, or Russia’s 2,500 baht price tag, adding that England offers the device at around 2,700 baht apiece.

Colonel Natee, however, said the recent meeting did not discuss the issue of the set-top box subsidy coupon.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-13 footer_n.gif

Will there actually be anything worth watching on it apart from Thai soap operas and game shows?

I can't wait for the broadcast of a couple more cooking shows in a nation where hardly anyone really knows whats cooking.

As long as an expert like yourself knows what's cooking, I'll sleep much better in years to come.

Dunno where the photos accompanying this article came from, or who sourced them.

But I'm pretty well guessing the boxes offered for sale here likely won't be Motorola branded...

And the channels the boxes provide won't be the WB, PBS, CBS, Fox and ABC networks from the good ole USA (as depicted in the TV set photo).

The digital setup boxes are already selling here in Bangkok in the Bt700 to Bt1300 range. if throwing in an antenna add another 300 to 500 baht. Walked into Makro the other day and a PowerBuy store today and they have stacks of them at the entrance to the store.

On a related note - maybe they are trying to say SET TOP BOX... not top box.

As they are simply extra channels originated by the broadcasters themselves (Ch 3, 5, 7, 9, 11) through the DTT system, unless the broadcasters have decided to pay a whole lot extra to buy in new or extra programming (which I would think is unlikely), I can't imagine what they will fill the extra programme space with.

What programing does it offer?

It nothing really new or special...pretty much current Thai channels which are shifting to digital transmission...and in a few cases some of the lessor known channels like TV Pool and and Music Pool renaming themselves to THV and LOCA along with major programming changes to hopefully increase revenue since the channels did have to fork out big baht to get digital broadcast licenses. And TV Pool/THV and Music Pool/LOCA (just for example) also shifted from being free-to-view via satellite to encrypted/pay service while remaining free on the digital terrestrial service ....by pay service I mean they apparently shifted to TV satellite/cable providers like TrueVisions where THV and LOCA will probably get a small payment from TrueVisions for being in the TrueVisions programming line-up....a line-up you pay for if with TrueVisions.

It's also my understanding the TV providers like TrueVisions will also have to carry the digital channels in their lineup, which they are already carrying. And I read just today in the Bangkok Post how TrueVisions is partitioning the court that this shouldn't be forced upon them--I expect that is because it will cost TrueVisions some money to carry the all the channels...maybe paying for some of the new digital channels which is turn could force them to raise subscription fees. There is a lot of devil-in-the-details associated with this switch from analog to digital terrestrial as it goes far beyond just what gets transmitted in the air...it also affect satellite and cable service.

See this Wikipedia Article for the initial list of digital channels.

Edited by Pib