Immigration boss confirms the Out-In visa run is dead

When I first came to Thailand there was no visa on arrival. Burma was closed. Laos was just transitioning from communist rule and the Khmer Rouge were running Cambodia. Your only option was to get a business visa and go to Penang to do that and present a tax receipt on exit, but we got by. Then Penang stopped issuing one year visas and we had to go to other Embassies or Consulates, but we still got by.

Just go to a Visa Consultant and get sorted out instead of whining. Pay the money and get a one year visa or spend days going back an fore to Immigration trying to save 15k or whatever. Anyone who's been here for some time will tell you who can be relied on. Please don't PM me.

I'm from Sweden. When I started to come here I didn't need any visa. The first 8-10 years I got 90 days every time I came to Thailand. Could cross the border legaly and get 90 more days if I liked that. Then we joined EU and all the visa rules changed
Bilateral agreement ? Finland had the same between -94 and -95, Thais could enter for 90 days and vise versa without a visa. Then came the EU.

Seems the Koreans have this now, but are targeted for back to back entries. If I were the Korean foreign minister, I'd immediately make sure it's the same for Thais trying to get into Korea. Or simply cancel the agreement.

It's quite possible the Koreans have been booting Thai's out of Korea for some time which could have prompted this whole thing.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...it is not a hotel clerk's duty to play immigration cop...

It is a hotel's duty under the Immigration Act to supply the following information for every arriving guest to the immigration office with the form TM.30 within 24 hours of the guest's arrival:

1. Name and Surname
  2. Nationality
  3. Passport No.
  4. Date of Arrival
  5. Type of Visa
  6. Expiratin date of permission to stay
  7. Point of entry
  8. Arrival card TM. number
  9. Relationship

Not to shill for Walen or any other language school, but I would prefer to take Thai language classes once or twice a week as opposed to making numerous border runs in a bus or van packed with smelly backpackers, not to mention the time and the danger involved of road travel in and around Thailand. Especially long trips to the border.

I won't mention costs as it would appear that I'm shilling for Walen, but when you add up the time, cost and inconvenience of Visa runs and the added stress of not knowing if you will be allowed back into the country as well as the rigors of bus/van travel all day for older people, I think that going to school once or twice a week, learning Thai and being legal far outweigh doing Visa runs.

Of course, if you are not located near any City that has a language school this might not by a viable option, but I would choose it over doing Visa runs.

For those thinking of retiring to Thailand, I don't think 30 days or even 90 days are enough to create an informed opinion if you want to retire there or not, and numerous visits can be expensive, especially from the US

I would much rather sign up for a language class and stay for 1-3 years and take my time to get to know the Country, the People and so on and to decide first hand if this is the place where I want to live out the rest of my life and not have the added stress (in addition to culture shock, for example) of doing Visa runs.

It might also be a good way to meet other Expats. Decent ones as opposed to the ones that occupy bar stools most of their free time.

I imagine that with the Visa crackdowns, the language schools will raise their prices as demand will go up.

But that's just my 2 BHT...

BTW, does the area North of the Chiang Mai airport near CM University get a lot of noise due to take-offs and landings? (The area around Chiang Mai Outer Ring Road and Huai Kaeo Road intersection.)

I've seen some nice, inexpensive rental apartments/condos in that area and was wondering if airport traffic noise is a factor.

Thanks.

Edited by PHP87

I have to go every year to get an extension for my wife. Even though I am the Thai citizen, I still have to go for that one. I often also do the 90 dayers for her as we've got young ones who we don't want to drag along to immigration.

So are you Thai by birth or naturalized? Why would your wife need extensions if you are married and Thai? At the minimum she could get a one year visa. I assume your wife isn't Thai. Do you mean reporting every 90 days?

Thai by birth, though born overseas.

My wife isn't Thai and hence needs a visa and extensions of stay.

To get the extension of stay we both need to go down to immigration on an annual basis as it is an extension of stay based on marriage. Hence the speaking Thai bit.

I often do the 90 day reports for her.

Another confusing article - many references to tourist visas rather than visa exempt arrivals. Are they now saying that even on a double entry tourist visa you are not allowed to do an 'in-out'?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are a genuine tourist travelling around for 3-6 mths on a double entry, you would still be allowed out an in as you have the correct visa for your purpose. What they are wanting to stop is those who continually stay on tourist visas, just to stay here or work illegally. If you are continually doing visa runs or getting tourist visa to stay here, you are not a tourist are you. The message is clear, get the right visa for your purpose.

Minor point but the "abusers" typically are not here on Tourist Visas. Tourist Visas do expire. What they are after is the Visa Exemption on Arrival 30 day Passport stamp people that just keep on border running over and over again, and that are clearly working or "retiring" improperly

it's not difficult to arrange an appropriate visa for yourself. coffee1.gif

and anyway it's much less hassle than having to do border runs every 30 days.

Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visas still require border runs... I have been here 4 of the allowed 12 months requiring exit and re-entry at least every 90 days. My first border run was at Nong Khai - uneventful 45 minute turn around costing 1500 Baht for the 30 day Lao Visa on arrival ... With this type of 'O' Visa I do not think I would be affected by the new enforcement of rules (new or old)... But if necessary, I can show a listing of my Isaan Van tour over many towns and cities and my resort tour to Koh Samui - ferry boat to Surat Thani and then by van to Ao Nang, Krabi... Plus I can show a listing of future tour sites such as Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai and that region - plus others. I am not sure if I should have to do that - but I will be ready ...

And on my next border run in early July, I may go to Vientiane from Nong Khai and spend a day or even stay overnight ... I would like to see the area anyway. But I don't know why any of this should be necessary on this type of Visa as it is not a 'Tourist' Visa and I was not given any documents on issue explaining that I had to do such things. However, I am not trusting of Thai Border officials to know how to handle this or of any given 'attitude' that I may encounter... so I am likely to play it safe and be prepared ... keep my mouth shut and show my travel listings... I can do what is necessary to get by... whether reasonable or not.

(not talking about 'O-A' Visas)

Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visas still require border runs... I have been here 4 of the allowed 12 months requiring exit and re-entry at least every 90 days. My first border run was at Nong Khai - uneventful 45 minute turn around costing 1500 Baht for the 30 day Lao Visa on arrival ... With this type of 'O' Visa I do not think I would be affected by the new enforcement of rules (new or old)... But if necessary, I can show a listing of my Isaan Van tour over many towns and cities and my resort tour to Koh Samui - ferry boat to Surat Thani and then by van to Ao Nang, Krabi... Plus I can show a listing of future tour sites such as Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai and that region - plus others. I am not sure if I should have to do that - but I will be ready ...

And on my next border run in early July, I may go to Vientiane from Nong Khai and spend a day or even stay overnight ... I would like to see the area anyway. But I don't know why any of this should be necessary on this type of Visa as it is not a 'Tourist' Visa and I was not given any documents on issue explaining that I had to do such things. However, I am not trusting of Thai Border officials to know how to handle this or of any given 'attitude' that I may encounter... so I am likely to play it safe and be prepared ... keep my mouth shut and show my travel listings... I can do what is necessary to get by... whether reasonable or not.

You can just make a border crossing and turn around and come back. because you have a valid multiple entry visa.

This new rule in no way applies to you.

You can just make a border crossing and turn around and come back. because you have a valid multiple entry visa.

This new rule in no way applies to you.

Thanks answered my question too :)

I am coming over in July and have a triple entry visa (US); is this going to effect me at all with 30 day in-country extensions and doing boarder runs for 60 days twice?

The new enforcement by Thai Immigration is aimed at repeat visa-EXEMPT entries... not those doing cross border trips with valid tourist visas. It shouldn't pertain to you.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I believe that the ED mill language schools will be thriving now. Immigration will probably make them their next target for "undesirables".

From Phuket Forum

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)

• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

• Like 2

I've read through this thread but didn't find an answer, should it exist.

Yesterday we read that one will be allowed to enter on three consecutive walk in visas until Aug 12th, and after that, depending on the interpretation, one or no re-entries. Does this latest news change this? Or can one hop in and out given they have a valid enough travel plan to present should it be asked? Will something change in August according to the latest? Are there any recent reports from border from those trying to do a visa run?

I have no personal interest in this (I have non-B and WP, family has non-O's) but I'd like to have Thailand's WikiTravel page to contain accurate information. As mentioned by someone backpackers can rarely present travel plans and this could be problematic for them as travel plan may be required also for Tourist Visa.

If a Thai applies for a tourist visa to the UK, they have to present an entire itinerary of exactly where they are going, on what day and why, where they are staying, names of hotels with phone numbers and email addresses etc.

The requirement is VERY strict, and they check your bookings before issuing a visa - if you make a mistake, your visa is refused. You can re-apply, but that's another 4,000+ baht please. Why do you think so many Thais visit the UK on a tour?

Having taken 3 women to UK and Schengen mainland europe I never did anything like this with any of them.

The process was simply forms, purpose tourism, show them a nice bank account with many 0's on it, and visa issued.

Witnessed the same process by my brother, with a couple also.

This is certainly going to impact the younger folks that work outside of Thailand but live here, and can't get a retirement visa or a mairrage visa. Is there any talk of new visa types?

I would reckon that the few that have enough cash to have retired early are a pretty small minority and since they are retired, the Thai's don't see them as a sufficiently long term 'investment' to afford them any preferential visa status. Sure they may have a chunk of change and 'buy' a house in a gated community in Chiang Mai, Samui or Phuket but apart from their dining out at farang-oriented restaurants and checking the latest imported grub at Villa, they aren't ever going to contribute significant income inside Thailand. They have retired and are not about to invest in any Thailand-based-and-revenue-earning business or the SET.

Those on 28/28 work/rest rotations in the oil and gas or mining industries are another minority that don't really deserve any breaks. However, if they have already committed to living in Thailand while working FIFO and have bought property here or have relationships and children, then they may need to review THEIR commitments in Thailand rather than whine about getting shafted by any new immigration enforcement.

Maybe you dont come into contact with them, but theres 1000s, possibly 10's of 1000s of these guys..

And they are among the highest spenders and contributors far outweighing the kind of penny pinching retirement guys. I know guys who routinely drop 3 mil a year incountry.. Thats a lot of backpackers or pension allowances every month.

It doesn't matter how much you can spend, if you don't qualify for the visa. And you don't have a clue what all other people spend here either.

Well I have been here long enough to see a lot of sad retiree's, drinking beers outside the 7/11 to save money.. While I also know oil workers with new 5 series M sports and a garage full of million baht motorbikes.

Which one do you think benefits Thailand the most financially ??

I would reckon that the few that have enough cash to have retired early are a pretty small minority and since they are retired, the Thai's don't see them as a sufficiently long term 'investment' to afford them any preferential visa status. Sure they may have a chunk of change and 'buy' a house in a gated community in Chiang Mai, Samui or Phuket but apart from their dining out at farang-oriented restaurants and checking the latest imported grub at Villa, they aren't ever going to contribute significant income inside Thailand. They have retired and are not about to invest in any Thailand-based-and-revenue-earning business or the SET.

Those on 28/28 work/rest rotations in the oil and gas or mining industries are another minority that don't really deserve any breaks. However, if they have already committed to living in Thailand while working FIFO and have bought property here or have relationships and children, then they may need to review THEIR commitments in Thailand rather than whine about getting shafted by any new immigration enforcement.

Maybe you dont come into contact with them, but theres 1000s, possibly 10's of 1000s of these guys..

And they are among the highest spenders and contributors far outweighing the kind of penny pinching retirement guys. I know guys who routinely drop 3 mil a year incountry.. Thats a lot of backpackers or pension allowances every month.

It doesn't matter how much you can spend, if you don't qualify for the visa. And you don't have a clue what all other people spend here either.

Well I have been here long enough to see a lot of sad retiree's, drinking beers outside the 7/11 to save money.. While I also know oil workers with new 5 series M sports and a garage full of million baht motorbikes.

Doesn't really matter, they can all stay legally here without too much hassle.

BTW, does the area North of the Chiang Mai airport near CM University get a lot of noise due to take-offs and landings? (The area around Chiang Mai Outer Ring Road and Huai Kaeo Road intersection.)

I've seen some nice, inexpensive rental apartments/condos in that area and was wondering if airport traffic noise is a factor.

It can do yes, its on the flightpath quite commonly..

Both the south side and north side of the airport have noise.

• Like 1

@cnxforever, actually sometimes it can work the other way round too - if you speak Thai then the officers will explain to you in detail the law and they can express themselves fully any way they see fit. When I recently got an extension done the officer was quite unfriendly to everyone, Thai, Burmese etc. - me included, nevermind that I spoke Thai with him. When at first he didn't know I could speak Thai, he actually seemed friendlier...lol.

Why would Thais be getting an extension done? He seemed friendlier when you didn't speak Thai because even though your Thai may be excellent your accent and expression could be provincial. That's why I said speak Bangkok Thai.

I have to go every year to get an extension for my wife. Even though I am the Thai citizen, I still have to go for that one. I often also do the 90 dayers for her as we've got young ones who we don't want to drag along to immigration.

Not to pry, but I thought women who married Thai men, could get instant ctizenship / PR, unlike men marrying Thai women ??

I have yet to hear how an oil worker, with limited time on his in and outs, flown directly from work to BKK, can do for a visa ??

Saying go and get tourist visas from a 3rd party country is simply not workable for the travel.

...it is not a hotel clerk's duty to play immigration cop...

It is a hotel's duty under the Immigration Act to supply the following information for every arriving guest to the immigration office with the form TM.30 within 24 hours of the guest's arrival:

1. Name and Surname
  2. Nationality
  3. Passport No.
  4. Date of Arrival
  5. Type of Visa
  6. Expiratin date of permission to stay
  7. Point of entry
  8. Arrival card TM. number
  9. Relationship

Does this include "Short Time"?

• Like 1

I have yet to hear how an oil worker, with limited time on his in and outs, flown directly from work to BKK, can do for a visa ??

Saying go and get tourist visas from a 3rd party country is simply not workable for the travel.

I have a cunning plan, which I am sure my fellow O&G guys may not be so enthusiastic about, but it might work...biggrin.png

per the Ed Visa, they say to qualify and have to do 4 hours a week....yes ?..how strictly does it have to be 4 hours a week, or is it a some total of 16 hours a month, I don't know enough of how this visa works but, if they look at accumulated hours in a month instead of the weekly hours

Apply for an Ed visa, get granted it

Month off do the 4 hours a week learning Thai

Month on, obviously cant do 4 hours a week, but when getting back on leave catch up on the 16 hours you have missed ?

PIA I know, but it might be an option who knows..

just a thought and now I will stand by for the barrage of abuse I am expecting rolleyes.gif

I have a cunning plan, which I am sure my fellow O&G guys may not be so enthusiastic about, but it might work...biggrin.png

per the Ed Visa, they say to qualify and have to do 4 hours a week....yes ?..how strictly does it have to be 4 hours a week, or is it a some total of 16 hours a month, I don't know enough of how this visa works but, if they look at accumulated hours in a month instead of the weekly hours

Month on, obviously cant do 4 hours a week, but when getting back on leave catch up on the 16 hours you have missed ?

just a thought and now I will stand by for the barrage of abuse I am expecting rolleyes.gif

I am sure those in the "trade" will have already worked that stuff out........whistling.gif

Just buy a house or condo or land in a company name. You are then a director of a company you are entitled to a biz visa. No work permit required for directors/shareholders. Or start any other sort of biz. If you're just a shareholder/investor you don't need a work permit or Thai staff. Just please will everyone go to a visa consultant. When you get sick you don't have a problem seeing a doctor.

One simple flaw is..

The ED's for language are 90 day extensions..

You can only get a re-entry permit to the end of any current extension..

So by default on your second trip out of the country you will be out of Thailand when the extension expires.. And you certainly cannot time your in and outs to fit with the 90 day immigration needs.

I tried to explain his to a buddy who thinks hes going to just pay off a school.. Yes if he was resident he could, but his travel schedule (hes not O&G) is insane and theres no way an ED works for him.

Buying the right to a B visa is one way thats semi legal. Pay some taxes, etc.

Just buy a house or condo or land in a company name. You are then a director of a company you are entitled to a biz visa. No work permit required for directors/shareholders. Or start any other sort of biz. If you're just a shareholder/investor you don't need a work permit or Thai staff. Just please will everyone go to a visa consultant. When you get sick you don't have a problem seeing a doctor.

This process may work for year one..

But when you need years 2's visa from your home country, and the company has no accounts, no turnover, and no VAT.. Is basically a shelf company.

Will non imm Bs of the required multi entry still be available to it ?? I know a friend who has a legal company, lots of turnover, Thai staff, but chooses to get a visa in UK instead of extend incountry. He told me he had major headaches last time, even with a real company, obtaining a nin imm B multi entry.

The trend is clearly to single entries and extending incountry, which the above shelf company will not enable.

I was thinking kudos to you for thinking of others and trying to help out.

I also came to these pages to try and help out a friend, however her situation has been repeated on the pages a couple of times and there is no answer. At this point In time there's many things that still can't be answered, not everyone fits into their neat cateogries.

Having said that, I feel an overhaul of the current system is long overdue and if is the start of sorting it out, then good on them, it's just I'm not so confident about that.

Time will tell.

Visa exempt entries would be ok.

Also postal services for tourist visas work fine, as does application for non-immigrant visa.

Many expats have lived here for years, on a small pension say 800 to 1200 $ a month. Those guys have used or abused the system. Some don't have a option, since then don't meet the 800.000 Baht requirement for retirement visa, nor age requirement age 50 up.

For those who want to take a short trip to another country and return to Thailand,

Re Entry Permit can be had at Immigration offices and Airport.

ED visa had crackdown before, so only genuine people who actually attend class and improve their Thai, should apply.

I find the 'timing' of this restriction to be odd. 50 countries have issued Travel Warning, tourist numbers are down.

Add this in/out restriction to the equation, and we will see less than average tourist numbers, this summer.

If more mayhem demonstrations in Bangkok streets, it will be more than quiet.

However Thailand have more lifes than a cat, so doom sayers should not celebrate yet.

Presumably those 2 guys with dodgy passports on the Malaysia plane werent quite as innocent as it appeared.

Basically the Thai immigration system is a corrupt, festering mess. God knows how many hardened criminals are moving in and out of the country on dodgy passports with perpetual tourist visas.

An awful lot. So an.embassy somewhere has threatened Thailand to say, clean it up, and this is the start. .