Immigration boss confirms the Out-In visa run is dead

All this talk over visa runs. It seems they are spending to much time on people doing runs when they should be working on updating how the visas work. The internet is a thing now-a-days. What kind of visa would a person need if they run or work at a US based company. Lets say this person works from home and stays in Thailand. They are not talking any thai jobs. So are they a tourist? or are they working in thailand and need a work visa for a non-thai company?

You say rather glibly that you would not be taking a job from a Thai citizen. There are many US companies that subcontract work in Thailand either through Thai-based US subsidiaries or independent Thai companies. Did you ever notice the number of Thai names when booting Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop?

Yes I can say it would not be taking a thai job. Unless you are implying that any foreign job over the internet is a potentially lost job for a thai person sleep.png

What I am implying is that it is the policy of the Thai government to increase the opportunities for Thai computer science graduates and they will support anyone who comes to Thailand realizing that aim -- and there are many BOI companies to that effect. You are saying they should make it easy for you to live in Thailand and work on your ex-Thailand client for which Thailand derives no benefit and I'd guess they do not have that in mind.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand.....always shooting itself in the foot. Now retirees can enrich neighboring Myanmar and Cambodia. Vietnam is probably the best option in Asia right now.

• Like 1

I hope they have more luck with the finger scanners than the had here in Cambodia.

They started scanning a couple of years ago. All 10 fingers of tourists that hardly speak any English, by guys that hardly speak a word of English. Huge frustration, much shouting, enormous queues.

Result: the scanners are still there but haven't been used for a year

Hanno,

They were working and in use last week at the departure queue. Phnom Penh. Only 5 fingers, one hand this exit.

F1

"Investment visa"?

Do you honestly think I want to "invest" 10m baht to get an "investment visa" when the rules on that "investment visa" could change at any time?

Think I will leave my cash with the bank crooks in the UK!

Any other bright ideas for the under 50 brigade?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cashed up under 50ies could always go the Thailand elite card 5 year, 500,000 baht option. Basically 100,000 baht per year, you get a couple of limo rides and a few buzz trips along Suvarnabhumi in the electric cart as well, just for laughs. Would prevent the needs to run to the border or buy expensive plan tickets out of the country for a few years. Maybe give them times to grow up and get old. wink.png

chicken feed 500,000.

Program might still go belly up, tho, but much better than dropping 10mil baht into low return investments......perhaps

I would be careful of the Thailand Elite option. They already went belly up once before.

As for the Thailand Elite visa, their page says:

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA

To ease your travels to and from Thailand.

Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.

Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.

*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.

Read the last line very carefully – caveat emptor.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 2

I think like many countries people should have the correct Visas. This is not strange but normal practice. Fingerprinting is an excellent idea anywhere, not just airports but ID Card, banks etc.

I don't want to be god damn finger printed just to visit somewhere. I know everyone hates freedom and privacy these days but I still value mine.

Stop acting like everything is normal, it's not <deleted> normal!

Well if your a US citizen, maybe you should petition your own government to stop as they are doing exactly the same thing...

• Like 2

"Investment visa"?

Do you honestly think I want to "invest" 10m baht to get an "investment visa" when the rules on that "investment visa" could change at any time?

Get an Ed visa then, go and learn Thai, your living here it will help you integrate...

• Like 2

I think like many countries people should have the correct Visas. This is not strange but normal practice. Fingerprinting is an excellent idea anywhere, not just airports but ID Card, banks etc.

I don't want to be god damn finger printed just to visit somewhere. I know everyone hates freedom and privacy these days but I still value mine.

Well if your a US citizen, maybe you should petition your own government to stop as they are doing exactly the same thing...

If you don't want to be fingerprinted, face scanned or retinal scanned on entry, the bad news is that you will not have many travel options to countries that practise "freedom and privacy" as you see it.

As a note: I was in and out of Malaysia last week. They introduced fingerprinting a couple of years ago. They did mine once on entry, and then the fingerprint scanners sat there idly – until after MH370. Now they are fingerprinting both hands on entry and on exit.

"Investment visa"?

If you are quoting my post, I couldn't care less what you want to do. I was just stating that there is a visa available for rich people under 50 who are not married and who wish to stay in Thailand. In terms of currency appreciation alone, any investment here could have shown a reasonable return over the last few years.

If you don't want to be fingerprinted, face scanned or retinal scanned on entry, the bad news is that you will not have many travel options to countries that practise "freedom and privacy" as you see it.

As a note: I was in and out of Malaysia last week. They introduced fingerprinting a couple of years ago. They did mine once on entry, and then the fingerprint scanners sat there idly until after MH370. Now they are fingerprinting both hands on entry and on exit.

only on exit for me (a few days ago)

For those of us that take time to stay legally by applying for work permits and correct extensions, paying taxes, social security its only right that these criminals should be excluded from entering back into Thailand. Once this is underway I wouldnt be suprised if ED visas will come under scrutiny as this is another area that is being massively abused by illegal workers. For the genuine under 50s not married that wish to stay here without working and can support themselves immigration should introduce an appropriate visa they could apply for to stay legally.

• Like 2

Waving the blacklist option in the air sure will do wonders to the condo markets at tourist destinations. Risk getting investment locked in a country you can't enter.

Agree with you

I must admit, after this I will think twice before buy house or condo here in Thailand. You never no when the rule change, but there will be some thai family's there will be happy :)

Edited by carstenp

For those of us that take time to stay legally by applying for work permits and correct extensions, paying taxes, social security its only right that these criminals should be excluded from entering back into Thailand. Once this is underway I wouldnt be suprised if ED visas will come under scrutiny as this is another area that is being massively abused by illegal workers. For the genuine under 50s not married that wish to stay here without working and can support themselves immigration should introduce an appropriate visa they could apply for to stay legally.

Why on earth would they do that as the money would be documented and not going into the individual officers' pockets.

People on this thread forget the nature of government officials in this country. Corruption is a way of life and accepted by most. If caught it's a slap on the wrists. This applies to us foreigners too - when in Rome.....

"If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever."

. The possibilities for additional payoffs are infinite, I suppose.
Anything is possible, I suppose. There will most likely be those that will continue to try to circumvent immigration law. Edited by Benmart

now while he's at it[immigration] why don't he sort out these blokes that are either married or retirered,perminant address,long time partners,do their 90day reporting and have done their extensions every yr.and live here.we are treated no different to crimminals that are on probation.another thought how do we do all this when your tooooooooo old to travel.

just asking for a longer extension [at a price].

do I qualify? 25yrs of unbroken marriage,home I share with the wife,all my assets in thai banks and have never been in trouble.

For the genuine under 50s not married that wish to stay here without working and can support themselves immigration should introduce an appropriate visa they could apply for to stay legally.

Lets suppose they did, and in similar manner they required the person to show on an annual basis they had THB 800k-1.0m in a Thai bank account (similar to a retirement visa), on suspects the vast majority of the target group would still be whining that they cant comply with the financial requirements.

Offshore O&G guys have been discussed numerous times, so one suspects this would be the sort of person who would have no problems in complying with this requirement, but one suspects there would be vast numbers of the "under 50 crowd" who couldn't

Seems a farang can get a visa (via a school) to learn SPANISH rolleyes.gif in LOS. Does this mean a Spanish guy can get a LOS visa (via a school) to improve his Spanish..?? laugh.png

They are called Study Visas and you can study anything you want. He could study a degree in Spanish if he wanted to. The ED visa is a Study Visa but it seems not many people study. It's like "optional". Serious students however can study anything including university degrees, golf, learning to fly, cooking, whatever. The options are limitless.

For the genuine under 50s not married that wish to stay here without working and can support themselves immigration should introduce an appropriate visa they could apply for to stay legally.

Lets suppose they did, and in similar manner they required the person to show on an annual basis they had THB 800k-1.0m in a Thai bank account (similar to a retirement visa), on suspects the vast majority of the target group would still be whining that they cant comply with the financial requirements.

Offshore O&G guys have been discussed numerous times, so one suspects this would be the sort of person who would have no problems in complying with this requirement, but one suspects there would be vast numbers of the "under 50 crowd" who couldn't

I honestly don't see why you cannot retire at any age provided you have the financial means to support yourself. This would be an excellent solution for Thailand. If a Thai wants to go to Europe or the States they have to show proof of funds. Why not Thailand then all this bickering would be over, instead of people continually having to skirt around the law.

I don't think Thailand is looking for 20 to 30 something year olds retiring here. Very few would actually be retired and would be working or up to other BS during the day.

A special O&G visa, I like your thinking. it should have a cool name also, like Non-O&G (trash) Visa.

I honestly don't see why you cannot retire at any age provided you have the financial means to support yourself. This would be an excellent solution for Thailand. If a Thai wants to go to Europe or the States they have to show proof of funds. Why not Thailand then all this bickering would be over, instead of people continually having to skirt around the law.

I don't think Thailand is looking for 20 to 30 something year olds retiring here. Very few would actually be retired and would be working or up to other BS during the day.

Good point but there are a lot of 50+ guys still working and people will get up to BS not matter what. Maybe there will be an answer one day.

"If we believe their purpose in coming to Thailand is not what they say it is, then we will order them to leave and they will be blacklisted. They will not be able to return to Thailand, ever."

I have a hard time to understand it. Before I settled down here, I always made longer holidays and spent a fortune, supporting bar girls, their families and was even so stupid to buy gold for quite a few of them.

I'd met a few guys who bought their visas and work permits somewhere in this country, had a job for many years and never a problem.

I'd bet my pink elephant that this business, selling fake visas will be "the hit". Or many people will just overstay. I also find it hard to believe that they first changed the 15 day visa rule to 30 again for G 8 countries.

Please forgive them, as they don't know what they do. Do they blame foreigners now for their not functioning system?

Believe it or not, somewhere in Bangkok (I don't want to tell where ..) there is a "hotel" called OVERSTAY which accepts all foreigners with expired visas. Everybody knows that, including the cops of this TAMBON who ,from time to time, go to pick up their monthly fees.

I swear the place name is OVERSTAY , blatantly in front of our eyes.

I would suggest this last post be deleted ASAP otherwise The Overstay may have quite a good lawsuit against the poster and TV.

Blatantly accusing said establishment of wrongdoing, remember, the laws in this country state that it doesn't matter whether it is true or not; just if the establishment has lost business because of such statements.

• Like 1

I have a hard time to understand it. Before I settled down here, I always made longer holidays and spent a fortune, supporting bar girls, their families and was even so stupid to buy gold for quite a few of them.

I'd met a few guys who bought their visas and work permits somewhere in this country, had a job for many years and never a problem.

I'd bet my pink elephant that this business, selling fake visas will be "the hit". Or many people will just overstay. I also find it hard to believe that they first changed the 15 day visa rule to 30 again for G 8 countries.

Please forgive them, as they don't know what they do. Do they blame foreigners now for their not functioning system?

Believe it or not, somewhere in Bangkok (I don't want to tell where ..) there is a "hotel" called OVERSTAY which accepts all foreigners with expired visas. Everybody knows that, including the cops of this TAMBON who ,from time to time, go to pick up their monthly fees.

I swear the place name is OVERSTAY , blatantly in front of our eyes.

I would suggest this last post be deleted ASAP otherwise The Overstay may have quite a good lawsuit against the poster and TV.

Blatantly accusing said establishment of wrongdoing, remember, the laws in this country state that it doesn't matter whether it is true or not; just if the establishment has lost business because of such statements.

Welcome to Thailand Mr. Rosewater. Will that be one years overstay or two?

• Like 1