Immigration boss confirms the Out-In visa run is dead

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally im an offshore worker I work 28days on/off rotation. On my off time I live with my gf & child(Thai) in a rented property. I have always been coming in on the 30 non visa entry. As I don't see what I do as a "visa run" because im out of the country every 2nd month. I'm wondering how this will effect me & the many more like me who have been doing this for years... as i dont work in the country ok i dont pay tax but I spend a considerable amount of money in the country(again like many in my situation) thus building the economy. Will I need to get a visa & if so what kind of visa does some1 get in my current situation?? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I am also in the same boat and would be interested to know the outcome. I fly back tomorrow and hoping they let me in sad.png

Will look into getting the family visa this time around too.

Its actually quite worrying the thought of getting turned away, im not back for another 3 weeks & your probably the same with ticketing as my company will get me a 1 way & i get my return the week before i fly back to the ship. This will probably be my 1st problem on re entry... What is the best option for a visa? is getting married an option to fast track a visa? its not ideal & wouldnt be my 1st choice... how does the family visa work? do i need to be marriede for this? Thanks for any advice.

As far as I know the family version of the non-immigrant O is granted in two situations only - either you are married to a Thai, or you are divorced and have full custody of a child with Thai nationality. Divorced with a Thai child but without custody is no good. Having a Thai gf with whom you have a Thai child is no good.

Obviously you have to fulfil the other requirements, eg 400,000 baht in a Thai bank, but those are the essentials.

The Embassy in Hong Kong, Singapore and Penang is about to get crowded. I can also imagine that those with no money will simply overstay the visa and hope for the best. The next crackdown is on all the fake students here on the "Ed" visa. Hopefully this is going to get rid of some of the foreign filth that have been scamming people (ATM skimming etc) in places like Phuket. Its about bloody time too.

• Like 1

It was ever thus.. The immigration officer has always had the exclusive right to determine if you should be let in or not.

Incorrect, immigration decisions can be appealed to court.

An Immigration official declines a "tourist" entry to Thailand... so they are going to retain a lawyer remotely to fight the case ?.....good luck with that..rolleyes.gif

you might get your day in court 10 years after you lodge the appeal...thumbsup.gif

I just stated what the law is, by having learned it here. Some people fought in court while detained in IDC.

Personally im an offshore worker I work 28days on/off rotation. On my off time I live with my gf & child(Thai) in a rented property. I have always been coming in on the 30 non visa entry. As I don't see what I do as a "visa run" because im out of the country every 2nd month. I'm wondering how this will effect me & the many more like me who have been doing this for years... as i dont work in the country ok i dont pay tax but I spend a considerable amount of money in the country(again like many in my situation) thus building the economy. Will I need to get a visa & if so what kind of visa does some1 get in my current situation?? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I am also in the same boat and would be interested to know the outcome. I fly back tomorrow and hoping they let me in sad.png

Its actually quite worrying the thought of getting turned away, im not back for another 3 weeks & your probably the same with ticketing as my company will get me a 1 way & i get my return the week before i fly back to the ship. This will probably be my 1st problem on re entry... What is the best option for a visa? is getting married an option to fast track a visa? its not ideal & wouldnt be my 1st choice... how does the family visa work? do i need to be marriede for this? Thanks for any advice.

As far as I know the family version of the non-immigrant O is granted in two situations only - either you are married to a Thai, or you are divorced and have full custody of a child with Thai nationality. Divorced with a Thai child but without custody is no good. Having a Thai gf with whom you have a Thai child is no good.

Obviously you have to fulfil the other requirements, eg 400,000 baht in a Thai bank, but those are the essentials.

By the sound of it, we are not doing the in/out visa runs and can show plane tickets for our next rotation. However, I have noticed the Immigration boys taking much longer look at my visa stamps lately and it would suck if I was made to leave to somewhere else. As you mentioned, the company pays for travel to your "home" base, which Thailand is for me (and many others)

The Embassy in Hong Kong, Singapore and Penang is about to get crowded. I can also imagine that those with no money will simply overstay the visa and hope for the best. The next crackdown is on all the fake students here on the "Ed" visa. Hopefully this is going to get rid of some of the foreign filth that have been scamming people (ATM skimming etc) in places like Phuket. Its about bloody time too.

It is interesting then, that the crackdown has really (seemingly) only being applied at Maesai which affects CR and CM people mostly. If they are targeting Russians and Koreans, seems an odd place to focus on - surely Phuket and Pattaya are the hotspots.

• Like 1

As is so with ANY country, a visa is NOT a guarantee of entry. It is merely a document that will allow you to move freely if granted entry.

Pompous BS. It's a document that unless forged or illegally issued or any other very good reason. WILL guarantee entry.

The "move freely" part comes from your wild imagination.

• Like 1

One more reason that my next stay in 6 weeks will be my last stay.

Selling off my household goods and the scooter, the rental contract is already cancelled...

Why?

As too young for a retirement visa but living close to 6 month a year in Thailand I don't have a tourists plan which would be sufficient for the immigration. And with only some goods owned it's better to sell off now than to try it from abroad.

Bye,

Derk

Of course obtaining proper tourist visa would really hurt beer drinking allowance ??

I say this is a step in the right direction. It will clean out the scum bags and criminals that are making a dishonest life here.

Its easy, want to live here or work here do the right thing.

If your flat broke then you have no place here.

So now the "scum bags and criminals that are making a dishonest life here" can just switch to ED visas and MAYBE sit in in a little hole in the wall langauge school for 4 hours a week and be "legal". Absolutely rediculous to be able to get an ED visa for Thai language in those "schools". Why not have ED visas for studying bar beer architecture or perhaps beach chair alignment techniques? There could be advanced courses in motorcycle taxi stand operations. How about courses in Thai street food cooking and selling? A school for sampling local and imported beers would be a winner for profit making and make as much sense.

The ED visa is a legal loophole to evade normal visa requirements and it is making hole in the wall (ED visa mill) Thai language school operators a fortune. Only 4 hours of class required per week is unbelievable. ED visas should be limited to REAL universities with real education and subjects. I hope Immigration has the ED visa in its crackdown plans.

Absolute tosh! Schools operating illegally should be investigated - which is fine. Why should schools not be able to offer course other than Thai? What about dive schools? Cooking schools? Asian finance courses? All of which are available and legitimate here. All schools have to be certificated and licensed by the MoE - including cooking schools!

In the UK there are language schools, but there are also many other educational establishments that sell a wide range of courses - and most are not universities. The same the world over.

The elephant in the room is that the "scumbags and criminals" you mention will always be able to stay, at worse they can overstay. Visa and entry hurdles does little to affect them - and does not filter out illegal workers (why would it?) - it merely pisses off people that are trying to find legal ways of staying, or that a between visas awaiting flights or paperwork (and that happens a lot more than some realise!) - and will force more to overstay if anything!

If they want everyone to be legal, make it easier for those that have to resort to such methods (even temporarily) to do so legally, and make some money out of it in to the bargain. The rest is just xenophobic penis displays from he of the op report.

Dive schools, cooking classes, Asian Finance courses (whatever they are) and cooking schools should also be eliminated from ED visa availability in preference to real education.

PS: You forgot Mui Thai classes.

Edited by aguy30

Mate, let us know how it turned out. Since the law is yet to come into force, you will probably be alright.

• Like 1

I say this is a step in the right direction. It will clean out the scum bags and criminals that are making a dishonest life here.

Its easy, want to live here or work here do the right thing.

If your flat broke then you have no place here.

So now the "scum bags and criminals that are making a dishonest life here" can just switch to ED visas and MAYBE sit in in a little hole in the wall langauge school for 4 hours a week and be "legal". Absolutely rediculous to be able to get an ED visa for Thai language in those "schools". Why not have ED visas for studying bar beer architecture or perhaps beach chair alignment techniques? There could be advanced courses in motorcycle taxi stand operations. How about courses in Thai street food cooking and selling? A school for sampling local and imported beers would be a winner for profit making and make as much sense.

The ED visa is a legal loophole to evade normal visa requirements and it is making hole in the wall (ED visa mill) Thai language school operators a fortune. Only 4 hours of class required per week is unbelievable. ED visas should be limited to REAL universities with real education and subjects. I hope Immigration has the ED visa in its crackdown plans.

Absolute tosh! Schools operating illegally should be investigated - which is fine. Why should schools not be able to offer course other than Thai? What about dive schools? Cooking schools? Asian finance courses? All of which are available and legitimate here. All schools have to be certificated and licensed by the MoE - including cooking schools!

In the UK there are language schools, but there are also many other educational establishments that sell a wide range of courses - and most are not universities. The same the world over.

The elephant in the room is that the "scumbags and criminals" you mention will always be able to stay, at worse they can overstay. Visa and entry hurdles does little to affect them - and does not filter out illegal workers (why would it?) - it merely pisses off people that are trying to find legal ways of staying, or that a between visas awaiting flights or paperwork (and that happens a lot more than some realise!) - and will force more to overstay if anything!

If they want everyone to be legal, make it easier for those that have to resort to such methods (even temporarily) to do so legally, and make some money out of it in to the bargain. The rest is just xenophobic penis displays from he of the op report.

Dive schools, cooking classes, Asian Finance courses (whatever they are) and cooking schools should also be eliminated from ED visa availability in preference to real education.

PS: You forgot Mui Thai classes.

Why? Because you say so? Why damage legitimate Thai business offering legitimate educational classes. Reasons pls.

Btw Asian Finance courses are courses on finance/business with specific reference to the region - they run them also in Singapore but are more expensive of course.

• Like 1

SP....sorry for the confusion. I use to have a WP when I was based in our BKK office, I no longer have one as I am on rotation work from another district. When I got my WP I had to relinquish my married visa (not sure why?)..So ever since I been coming in a on a tourist visa every 40 days or so..

Sounds like you were sold a bad one - no reason you can't have a WP on a non-imm O for marriage visa or extension.

although your legally your correct, some labour offices want the person on a Non-imm B before they will issue the WP.

Surely the countries that have a bi-lateral arrangement for visa free entry will be unaffected and will continue to be allowed unlimited 30-day entry?

I am not sure but I believe that a restriction exists internationally for these. I have heard there should be a maximum issued of 3 visa-exempt entries per 180 day period, I am aware of this restriction in other countries, and believed it to be a core item of all such bi--lateral agreements. Does anyone know if it exists in Thailand ?

Edited by tigermonkey

Why? Because you say so? Why damage legitimate Thai business offering legitimate educational classes. Reasons pls.

Btw Asian Finance courses are courses on finance/business with specific reference to the region - they run them also in Singapore but are more expensive of course.

Don't challenge the serial hater,,, You risk to be spat with more venomous stuff coming from their enviable position of naturally born right.

• Like 1

Another confusing article - many references to tourist visas rather than visa exempt arrivals. Are they now saying that even on a double entry tourist visa you are not allowed to do an 'in-out'?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No he didn't, read the line where it says 15 or 30 days entry.

Where? I see no mention in the article about 15 days - only 30 days - which would be appropriate for a visa exempt stamp however there are several references to tourist visas.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As is so with ANY country, a visa is NOT a guarantee of entry. It is merely a document that will allow you to move freely if granted entry.

Pompous BS. It's a document that unless forged or illegally issued or any other very good reason. WILL guarantee entry.

The "move freely" part comes from your wild imagination.

Actually paz, the poster is correct, just because someone has visa in their passport this is not a guarantee that someone will be permitted entry to a specific country permission to enter the country is down to the specific immigration official dealing with your passport at entry.

e.g. lets say someone turns up at immigration with a tourist visa, and the officer believes the person concerned is not a real tourist but coming to work, they can be declined entry..

• Like 1

Surely the countries that have a bi-lateral arrangement for visa free entry will be unaffected and will continue to be allowed unlimited 30-day entry?

I am not sure but I believe that a restriction exists internationally for these. I have heard there should be a maximum issued of 3 visa-exempt entries per 180 day period, I am aware of this restriction in other countries, and believed it to be a core item of all such bi--lateral agreements. Does anyone know if it exists in Thailand ?

There is no "international restriction". each country does as they please. Thailand had the restriction,the it was cancelled, now instead of re-instating they went the way of confusing, arbitrary, discriminating and corruption prone method. That suits them better I guess.

• Like 2

Let hear the voice of a native, won't you?

First thing first, please feel free to leave, to cancel holidays, to whatever you would do for your own good.

Personally, I don't care about tourist industry, I don't care about tourists at all. And not just me, but a large amount of Thai people don't care about you people stay or leave.

Not many people, who are native Thai in so-call tourist industry get money.

If you look closely, you'll find out that those workers in the industry are NOT Thai. And they have never paid tax.

So, feel free to leave anytime. Nothing will effect our income.

Thank you for exposing your personal view, the one of a clearly nationalistic ignorant bigot. Fortunately not all Thais think like you, and facts are clearly not like you say.

I will not say that you're highly xenophobic, because I'm afraid you would take that as a compliment.

Be the way, foreign tourism (and many more industries) workers that pay no taxes that you mentioned are actually the ones that are exploited on a daily basis by your co-citizens to increase their profit to the expense of people with basically no rights.

Good to see you are not worried about "your income" being affected, as that probably the true bottom line in your life.

o

Believe me, a lot of Thai think like me, phobic or not... They just don't speak english.

Thai people never speak their minds. Remember that. But I'm here and voicing their voices.

Actually paz, the poster is correct, just because someone has visa in their passport this is not a guarantee that someone will be permitted entry to a specific country permission to enter the country is down to the specific immigration official dealing with your passport at entry.

e.g. lets say someone turns up at immigration with a tourist visa, and the officer believes the person concerned is not a real tourist but coming to work, they can be declined entry..

That is theory, not practice. Valid visa, you're in. Cite a case where it wasn't like that?

Again if you can read above, immigration need a very good reason to not allow someone with a valid visa. Hope you won't need me to make example as that would be insulting to anyone intelligence.

As much as I agree with the move for immigration reform, is it wise now to do this when the tourist industry is crippled from the months of political instability in Bangkok? Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world are canceling their holidays, do they really want to run off the people who are left in this country spending money?

First thing first, please feel free to leave, to cancel holidays, to whatever you would do for your own good.

Personally, I don't care about tourist industry, I don't care about tourists at all. And not just me, but a large amount of Thai people don't care about you people stay or leave.

If you look closely, you'll find out that those workers in the industry are NOT Thai. And they have never paid tax.

Im sure you are not an economist and probably the way you think cames from a low instruction path.

In 2013 there were more than 26 million tourist letting at least 75 million thai people live and keep working in tourist visa business.

Let me tell you that 75 million people needs range and are connected to all the people in thailand.

If suddenly you will loose 26 milion turistss (really not possible) you will be surprised of how fast a civil war will spread up to thai borders.

Thank you for math lesson. But are you really watching closely? Or you just google the numbers to upgrade your intelligence?

I hope they have more luck with the finger scanners than the had here in Cambodia.

They started scanning a couple of years ago. All 10 fingers of tourists that hardly speak any English, by guys that hardly speak a word of English. Huge frustration, much shouting, enormous queues.

Result: the scanners are still there but haven't been used for a year

I went to Cambodia in February. At the airport I was expecting the usual procedure, four fingers, thumb, right hand then the same for my left hand. As soon as I had done my four fingers he said OK. It matched my previous scans. Other peole were having to do all ten digits.

Believe me, a lot of Thai think like me, phobic or not... They just don't speak english.

Thai people never speak their minds. Remember that. But I'm here and voicing their voices.

You are talking by stereotypes and self-claimed right to speak for others. I will leave anyway the last word to you.

Thank you for exposing your personal view, the one of a clearly nationalistic ignorant bigot. Fortunately not all Thais think like you, and facts are clearly not like you say.

I will not say that you're highly xenophobic, because I'm afraid you would take that as a compliment.

Be the way, foreign tourism (and many more industries) workers that pay no taxes that you mentioned are actually the ones that are exploited on a daily basis by your co-citizens to increase their profit to the expense of people with basically no rights.

Good to see you are not worried about "your income" being affected, as that probably the true bottom line in your life.

o

You don't care about "us foreigners"...and yet here you are on a foreign expat website. You must be a marvel, famous no? Not only to be a self disclosed mind reader - but one that can know the thoughts of a whole nation no less - a nation that, by your words, do not ever speak what they are thinking. The messiah has come - hosanna!

I am sure they are all so happy that you will voice what they have decided not to - just for them! You truly are special.

• Like 1

Don't challenge the serial hater,,, You risk to be spat with more venomous stuff coming from their enviable position of naturally born right.

nice quote

As much as I agree with the move for immigration reform, is it wise now to do this when the tourist industry is crippled from the months of political instability in Bangkok? Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world are canceling their holidays, do they really want to run off the people who are left in this country spending money?

Im sure you are not an economist and probably the way you think cames from a low instruction path.

In 2013 there were more than 26 million tourist letting at least 75 million thai people live and keep working in tourist visa business.

Let me tell you that 75 million people needs range and are connected to all the people in thailand.

If suddenly you will loose 26 milion turistss (really not possible) you will be surprised of how fast a civil war will spread up to thai borders.

Thank you for math lesson. But are you really watching closely? Or you just google the numbers to upgrade your intelligence?

I think his maths is a little odd. I can't see how 75 million Thai people can be working in the tourist industry when the population of the entire country is less than that.

Regarding your other comments about not caring whether foreigners stay or leave, that's up to you of course. I'm not interested whether the 'average Thai person' wants me to stay or leave. Just as I have no say in the immigration rules that are in effect in the UK, the average Thai person has no say in the immigration rules that are in effect here, so their opinion does not matter to me. I have a Thai / British daughter here, I have enjoyed my time in Thailand but if the atmosphere degenerates further I'll happily leave with my daughter and partner. It's not my home.

It's a shame though. When my partner lived in the UK, she was able to gain ILR quite easily and when she went out of the country on holiday and came back, one of the UK immigration officials inspected her passport, saw the indefinite leave to remain, smiled and said 'welcome home' to her. Perhaps British people are just more welcoming than Thai people....

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2