Yamaha Star Bolt and Where to View?

kenjin

Hi, I am in the market for a new motorcycle. I have narrowed it down to a Harley Davidson 48 but the new Yamaha Star Bolt still has my attention. Problem is I am yet to see one up close, does anyone happen to know if there's any show rooms with one? Strange over here,The Yamaha website says they are for sale in Watchara Marine, however I was told I can order one and it will take 2 months. the sales people seem to think It's normal to go ahead and order one without first viewing it.

post-8565-0-78885900-1399978986_thumb.jp

post-8565-0-88246500-1399979096_thumb.jp

i think you can go see the bike at Yamaha dealer as they were presenting it at motor shows and some events.

I saw and sat on it and it looks good. Some cheap parts, switches etc but a fine bike.

Still, if i am in the market looking for these kid of bikes, i go for Harley.

Got to be honest, the Star Bolt seems the obvious choice because of the price, it looks great in the bobber style and there are loads of customization parts available already. I just want to see one up close and see how feels when sitting on it.

Edited by kenjin

Got to be honest, the Star Bolt seems the obvious choice because of the price, it looks great in the bobber style and there are loads of customization parts available already. I just want to see one up close and see how feels when sitting on it.

I had a good look at the bike at the Terminal 21 show. It's a very nice looking bike, very comfortable in the saddle and very well put together. I'm into sports bikes but if I was into cruisers I would buy this for sure.

Apparently it sounds great as well. Good price and above all it's not a Harley so no embarrassment factor if parking directly outside the restaurant.

See Hili's post above for the Yamaha showroom details. It's in a little square tucked away from Ratchadapisek after passing Fortune Plaza, on the left heading north from Asoke.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Harley price is 889,000BHT for that colour and the Yamaha Star Bolt is 465,000BHT

yes, price difference is a lot between bolt and harley 48 but i always compare yamaha bolt with Harley 883 iron which is the best looking harley around IMO.

and the price of harley 883 iron is very similar with yamaha bolt all i know maybe the same price.

I went to see the Yamaha Bolt today BKK, have to admit, it looked pretty cool. They had one for test ride with after market V&H slip on pipes, Sounded great.

I am now thinking of the Bolt at 465K or the Iron 883 priced at 669K . Never owned an Harley before, still not sure which one to get.

• Like 1

i though harley 883 is around 500 k thb and i was wrong.

There is a good 200 k thb between 883 and bolt so bolt is the way to go unless you want only Harley and want to be a member of a harley group here or you dont care much about money.

also you can use that 200 k thb you save by buying bolt and customize it to the moon!

by the way, will this happen?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/harley-davidson-may-open-assembly-plant-thailand/

Yes I think after reading all the reviews Yamaha has the edge, after all with the 883 I would be buying a less powerful, less advanced machine for 200k more than the Yam. The Bolt is a real looker and very customizable. So I will go ahead and book the Yam, I was told there's a 2 month wait ..it's going to be a long 2 months for me.

• Like 2

+200.000 Baht difference between the HD and Bolt is just too much to justify as others also mention.

I used to own a Road King and I bought an used one to keep the price just a bit human.

When I had it, I was surprised by the fanatical approach certain HD owners had to the Harley brand, either HD or nothing, ha-ha.

I will never be brand loyal, it goes for bikes/cars/phones, you name it man.

That being said I still goes (on the PCX150) to the HD shop in Pattaya that sold/serviced/sold my HD because there are some really nice guys coming there and it's most interesting/funny.

One time it ended in a big party at the shop and I have to phone my wife to come and pick me up, he-he, she came on a motorbike taxi and rode me home on the PCX, it's was great fun man but the wife was not too impressed, LOL.

If money is not a problem get a HD but go for min a 1200 which can go fast with a few modifications, the 883 has smaller valves in the cyl heads so transforming it into a 1200 will be expensive.

Yes I think after reading all the reviews Yamaha has the edge, after all with the 883 I would be buying a less powerful, less advanced machine for 200k more than the Yam. The Bolt is a real looker and very customizable. So I will go ahead and book the Yam, I was told there's a 2 month wait ..it's going to be a long 2 months for me.

and you will save a fortune at the dentist..... those Harleys can rattle wisdom teeth loose!

and you will save a fortune at the dentist..... those Harleys can rattle wisdom teeth loose!

Nonsense, the engine is rubber mounted man, I didn't fell any vibrations on my 2002 RK

Nonsense, the engine is rubber mounted man, I didn't fell any vibrations on my 2002 RK

unfortunately we have no immocon for toungue in cheek...........

unfortunately we have no immocon for toungue in cheek...........

...one can use this whistling.gif ...tongue.pngwink.png

In Thailand the bolt makes much more sense imo. Should handle the rough roads much better. Anyhow, you still have some money left to upgrade rear suspension with some sexy ohlinns and for a nice pipe.

But it will never be a harley. But then again..

Both look good but at the end of the day the Harley will have a decent resale value because of the name alone especially in Thailand where face is everything.

Maybe but if you upgrade the harley a bit you most probably lose even more in the end. I see a lot of Japanese cruisers/choppers (whatever you call them) on the road in Thailand. Including older ones. They are fairly popular too.

In this case, i would go for comfort and handling..

Might be wrong but i see those smaller Harleys as back breakers, specially on longer trips.

If you only use it as a cafe-racer its a dif story.

Edited by Nickymaster

There's a Yamaha Bolt for rent at POP Chiang Mai. I think it looks great but then I'm not really into cruisers so it doesn't count.

As for price, unless you plan on totaling it, consider the lifetime cost. HDs have such a fanatical following in Thailand that you can probably sell it for not much more than you bought it for, no matter which model you get. I know various Thai harley gang members - anyone who can afford it, really, so usually that means well-off Thais of one sort or another. All super nice guys. But dedicated to the brand until the end. Even if the Harley is 200k more it will lose much less per year than a Yamaha. The HD might very well end up being the cheaper option.

This is what makes buying bikes in Thailand a sensible investment BTW wink.png

A friend had a Ducati Monster, sold it a year later for 50k less. He was riding a Monster for what it costs to rent a scooter. HD will lose even less.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Just to let you know, I booked the Harley in the end as they said we can have finance at 0% Yamaha was 4.5% so if I have 50% down and 50% on finance and the BHT keeps dropping as it is, I could be quids in!

3 months before it gets here though....this is going to be a long 3 months