World's oldest sperm found in Australia

webfact

World's oldest sperm found in Australia

SYDNEY - The world's oldest and best-preserved sperm, dating back 17 million years, has been unearthed in Australia, scientists said Wednesday.

The sperm from an ancient species of tiny shrimp was discovered at the Riversleigh World Heritage Fossil Site, an area in the far north of the state of Queensland where many extraordinary prehistoric Australian animals have previously been found.

They include giant, toothed platypuses and flesh-eating kangaroos.

Mike Archer, from the University of New South Wales School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, who has been excavating at Riversleigh for 35 years, said the sperm was an exciting find.

"These are the oldest fossilised sperm ever found in the geological record," he said.

The sperm are thought to have been longer than the male’s entire body, but were tightly coiled up inside the sexual organs of the fossilised freshwater crustaceans, known as ostracods.

"We have become used to delightfully unexpected surprises in what turns up there," he added of Riversleigh.

"But the discovery of fossil sperm, complete with sperm nuclei, was totally unexpected. It now makes us wonder what other types of extraordinary preservation await discovery in these deposits."
AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-14

It Really amazes me that some of the members on this forum cant give a decent reply to a topic like this without treating it as a joke, obviously this type of topic does not interest any of you?

Please don't take me as a party pooper! I do have a sense of humour but it seems when a topic like this comes on TV everybody thinks they are in a competition to reply with the best sick joke

Please Guys..................all of your replies seem a little boring, What have all the Thai bashers run out of comments today?

I think I will now just read the topics instead of the replies...................Disappointed!!

It Really amazes me that some of the members on this forum cant give a decent reply to a topic like this without treating it as a joke, obviously this type of topic does not interest any of you?

Please don't take me as a party pooper! I do have a sense of humour but it seems when a topic like this comes on TV everybody thinks they are in a competition to reply with the best sick joke

Please Guys..................all of your replies seem a little boring, What have all the Thai bashers run out of comments today?

I think I will now just read the topics instead of the replies...................Disappointed!!

My friend, tenaceous,

let it go... what are we here for if not for fun?

I find you to be too serious............... Disappointed!!