Pattaya Immigration (changeing the rules)

roger101

I am not sure where to post this. So Rimmer please change if you feel the need.

Last year (on extention of retirement visa) I was asked for the first time for proof of address . I offered a copy of my phone bill (normally used for 90 day) and was told it wasnt good enough. They asked for a copy of my rental agreement which I dont have as its a private agreement between me and my ex wife and I live there rent free ( she by the way lives in the UK). It was my 7th extention and had never been asked before. Eventually they settled for a copy of my Driving Licence.

Which I though was strange considering that the basis for the address on the licence comes from my telephone bill (via a Certificate of Residence). Any way on to today.

This afternoon I went to do my 90 day but was told this time I didnt have 90 days only 49 days and when I came in to extentend my Visa on July 2nd I should report to the 90 day desk again afterwards. This has never happened before either.

Has anybody any ideas about the changes or was I just caught up in 2 officers whims.

• Like 1

I assume you are talking about the immigration dept. On Soi 5 in Jomtien. In which case this would seem to be Pattaya specific, If you are not, and are talking about somewhere else then please advise and the topic can be moved to the visa forum.

They can ask for proof of address (or pretty much anything else). I always carry along proof that I own my condo and also a copy of the previous month's utility bills, but have never been asked for it when doing the annual extension of stay. Some people have reported being asked. When doing the 90 day report I bring along a copy of a condo statement or Internet bill, which has always been sufficient.

When you do the 90 day report, they stamp the date for the next one on the slip of paper stapled in your passport, so that would be the date to go in for the next 90 day report. If you leave the country and come back during that 90 days, then the 90 day count begins again starting from the date of your most recent re-entry. It's a report to be made if you are in the country for 90 continuous, uninterrupted days.

What you describe doesn't seem to be a departure from the way things have always been done. They're within their rights to ask for proof of address even if they haven't asked before. The next 90 day report date should have been shown on your last report stapled in your passport or by counting from the last re-entry.

Edited by Suradit69

Pattaya were always in my opinion very relaxed about proof of address.. It was only when I moved to another province that i realised how difficult the 1 year extension could be..

I was required to find 2 Witnesses (non relations to my wife) to fill out a police report, I had to take photo's of them signing it, photo's of them with my family outside my house and make copies of their Tabian Baan and ID cards.

Even the rental agreement which many people I believe buy in SE-ED and fill out themselves was not good enough on it;s own..

Pattaya were always in my opinion very relaxed about proof of address.. It was only when I moved to another province that i realised how difficult the 1 year extension could be..

I was required to find 2 Witnesses (non relations to my wife) to fill out a police report, I had to take photo's of them signing it, photo's of them with my family outside my house and make copies of their Tabian Baan and ID cards.

Even the rental agreement which many people I believe buy in SE-ED and fill out themselves was not good enough on it;s own..

Looks to me that you are on a Thai wife (family) visa -they can be very difficult about those.

The OP is talking about a retirement visa - apart from having the right amount of money in the bank at the right time they normally are not too fussy. The 90 days is a different matter and it runs on a totally different time scale that the visa itself. You do not report 90 days after receiving the extension of the visa but 90 days after your last 90 days report or 90 days after you re-entered the country.

The driving license is a funny one. I once asked them jokingly how come they accepted this- as to get my license I needed a residence certificate from the Immigration.

I did my first ever extension at Jomtien earlier this year, converting from the 'marriage' extension to the much less onerous and easier 'retirement' extension (previous couple of marriage extensions done in Udon).

In order to get their own 'proof of address' letter, I brought a copy of the house rental contract (Thai/English) and the letter was issued very quickly. The next day, when I went to file that actual extension, using the letter issued the previous day in the same office, the lady asked for... proof of address. I told her I had shown the rental contract to that chap over there yesterday and he had issued the letter now in her hand. Never mind that she said but next year, I would need to submit the letter AND the basis on which the letter was issued when filing the extension.

And there was me thinking was being clever and saving time.

Regarding the OP's arbitrarily being given a 49 day extension; can he confirm if his passport validity may have something to do with it?

The driving license is a funny one. I once asked them jokingly how come they accepted this- as to get my license I needed a residence certificate from the Immigration.

Please don't call their attn to this bit of Thai logic. Using the license is very convenient.

• Like 1

I did my first ever extension at Jomtien earlier this year, converting from the 'marriage' extension to the much less onerous and easier 'retirement' extension (previous couple of marriage extensions done in Udon).

In order to get their own 'proof of address' letter, I brought a copy of the house rental contract (Thai/English) and the letter was issued very quickly. The next day, when I went to file that actual extension, using the letter issued the previous day in the same office, the lady asked for... proof of address. I told her I had shown the rental contract to that chap over there yesterday and he had issued the letter now in her hand. Never mind that she said but next year, I would need to submit the letter AND the basis on which the letter was issued when filing the extension.

And there was me thinking was being clever and saving time.

Regarding the OP's arbitrarily being given a 49 day extension; can he confirm if his passport validity may have something to do with it?

If I read the OP correctly they have to go for a new extension on July 2nd. Could the 49 days be because 49 days back from July 2 brings you back to May 14 so maybe with the extension being renewed July 2 the current extension expires July 1 which would make that May 13 and the OP posted May 14.

I don't know, maybe I am reading it wrong but the dates seem more than a little coincidental.

Immigration in Pattaya has ALWAYS asked for proof of address usually supplied by a rental agreement. If you haven't been asked before then you were lucky or maybe they are looser on this requirement than I knew. And yes, utility bills have always been mentioned as good for proof of address so that is new to me they did not accept that.

However, I will admit I have never been asked for the proof of address because I have always provided it without being asked.

I did the 90 days report at Jomtien Immigration after Songkran, my one year extension ends 5 or 6 June.

The (90 days - 2 stamps) Officer, that often looks TV or Youtube on his phone during his hard work, told me two times that the 90 days report is:

No same same Visa, you come back for make new Visa. You visa finish next month, ok? Not forget!

He also wrote a note on the 90 days slip regarding the permit ends in June.

In my opinion the whole 90 days report is a total waste of time. It is good for nothing.

Also the whole application process for extension of stay for married couples is stupid. I'm married 26 years to the same woman, yet I have to supply the 3 photos every year and copy every single document two times as in the year before.

The immigration in BKK must have more pictures from me in front of my sofa then I do. If they would streamline and organize the process, there wouldn't be so many people waiting.

To get a driving license most people go to the immigration for a letter of residence.

Then you come to the 90 days report and the accept a copy of the driver license to confirm the address. Where is the logic in that?

Edited by uwe_rayong
  • Like 1

I did the 90 days report at Jomtien Immigration after Songkran, my one year extension ends 5 or 6 June.

The (90 days - 2 stamps) Officer, that often looks TV or Youtube on his phone during his hard work, told me two times that the 90 days report is:

No same same Visa, you come back for make new Visa. You visa finish next month, ok? Not forget!

He also wrote a note on the 90 days slip regarding the permit ends in June.

In my opinion the whole 90 days report is a total waste of time. It is good for nothing.

Also the whole application process for extension of stay for married couples is stupid. I'm married 26 years to the same woman, yet I have to supply the 3 photos every year and copy every single document two times as in the year before.

The immigration in BKK must have more pictures from me in front of my sofa then I do. If they would streamline and organize the process, there wouldn't be so many people waiting.

To get a driving license most people go to the immigration for a letter of residence.

Then you come to the 90 days report and the accept a copy of the driver license to confirm the address. Where is the logic in that?

Just on the drivers licence topic, when I got mine all I gave them was a letter from the Embassy which actually was only a stat dec that I lived at a particular address. This was accepted at Mo Chit. Didn't need to go to immigration.

Here in upcountry (Khon Kaen) always a proof of adress was required for extension and 90-day report.

For annual extension I always took and will take my wife with me (although I extend on retirement).

Once I did'nt and had a copy of wifes ID and blue book. One of the copies was not signed by her and for that reason they wanted me to come back (200 km).

(documents unchanged for two years!!!)

500 Baht for the boss fixed the mistake.

In the meantime I have a yellow book and do not take my wife or her documents with me for 90 day report.

Quite simple in my opinion. Since you hold a driver license mean that immigration have verified the address earlier, otherwise you would not be able to have a driver license.

I do my 90 day report in Udorn, after a 120 kilometer one way drive. I hand them my passport and my yellow book. Five minutes later I walk out the door.

Could the fact you only got 49 days on your last reporting period be due to the expiration date of your one year retirement extension?

Immigration will only give you until either your passport expires or you retirement extension runs its course. When is your one year extension up?

Hi. Small remarks:

// I always carry along proof that I own my condo and also a copy of the previous month's utility bills, but have never been asked for it when doing the annual extension of stay. Some people have reported being asked. When doing the 90 day report I bring along a copy of a condo statement or Internet bill, which has always been sufficient. //

- Proof that you own the condo (like copy of chanote) have already be refused at Jomtien as proof of address. For them that does not prove you live in it... rolleyes.gif They prefer Electric or Internet bill at your name.

- For 90 days reports at Jomtien you now don't need any proof any more smile.png if you have been registered in the new computerized system.

Quite simple in my opinion. Since you hold a driver license mean that immigration have verified the address earlier, otherwise you would not be able to have a driver license.

- Problem is that your license can be 5 years old and you may have changed of address several time since you got it...

Please don't call their attn to this bit of Thai logic. Using the license is very convenient.

Yes get a Thai drivers license, show your residence certification and medical certificate from walk in clinic...then go to vehicle licensing station show your Passport to get entry and any documents you may need, so bring most of what documents you have..photo copy and sign. The first time for Thai drivers license is one year you will do a written examination and practical one if you have motorbike or car...once passed you will have a photo taken and printed out in a plastic credit card size. After one year you can apply for 5 yrs..this license is great for ID at bank or hotel registration. Keep a photo copy of your passport in your wallet for insurance if asked for on road stop.

The "fast track" above is possible...no need to do anything, seen this with some Italians enter premises with a Thai official and photos taken as others questioned WHY...a days time wasted in Thai bureaucracy while others get fast tracked? O by the way do not let your home country know you have this license as you have to surrender this...as in North America only one drivers license allowed...whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

I do my 90 day report in Udorn, after a 120 kilometer one way drive. I hand them my passport and my yellow book. Five minutes later I walk out the door.

Could the fact you only got 49 days on your last reporting period be due to the expiration date of your one year retirement extension?

Immigration will only give you until either your passport expires or you retirement extension runs its course. When is your one year extension up?

That is not correct. When you do a 90 day report you have to report again 90 days afterwards unless you leave the country for a holiday then the 90 days starts again on your re-entry. It is not related to your one year extension.

• Like 1

// The "fast track" above is possible... // others questioned WHY... a days time wasted in Thai bureaucracy while others get fast tracked?

One day??? It took us less than 90 minutes in March to get a 5-year license from an expired 1-year license. Certainly not worth paying X,000 baht... or more. rolleyes.gif

That is not correct. When you do a 90 day report you have to report again 90 days afterwards unless you leave the country for a holiday then the 90 days starts again on your re-entry. It is not related to your one year extension.

I have been doing the 90 day reports for nearly six years.

The only time I have received less than 90 days on an extension was if the requested 90 days would have put me beyond the expiration date of my retirement extension.

In other words, if I went to Immigration in April and filed a 90 day report, I WOULD NOT receive 90 days if my retirement extension was expiring in June. I would still have to go back in some 60 days to renew my annual retirement extension.

A new 90 day period would restart with the renewal of my retirement extension in June.

• Like 1

I had the opposite about a week ago in Jomthien. Had my yellow thabian baan as well as wife's blue, they didn't want the copies from my yellow one. This was marriage extension though and we had our son with us. Every year something changes.

- For 90 days reports at Jomtien you now don't need any proof any more smile.png if you have been registered in the new computerized system.

This would save one copy of my thabian baan.. when did they put in the computer system, any way to know if you're registered ?

They can ask for proof of address (or pretty much anything else). I always carry along proof that I own my condo and also a copy of the previous month's utility bills, but have never been asked for it when doing the annual extension of stay. Some people have reported being asked. When doing the 90 day report I bring along a copy of a condo statement or Internet bill, which has always been sufficient.

When you do the 90 day report, they stamp the date for the next one on the slip of paper stapled in your passport, so that would be the date to go in for the next 90 day report. If you leave the country and come back during that 90 days, then the 90 day count begins again starting from the date of your most recent re-entry. It's a report to be made if you are in the country for 90 continuous, uninterrupted days.

What you describe doesn't seem to be a departure from the way things have always been done. They're within their rights to ask for proof of address even if they haven't asked before. The next 90 day report date should have been shown on your last report stapled in your passport or by counting from the last re-entry.

Or, from counting the days since your last retirement extension or other visa issuance/renewal date.

So immigration have verified the address earlier...coffee1.gif How did they do that?

Couple of years ago it was like this:

Go to immigration with two photos and a utility bill (as you wrote, doesn't have to be in your name), next day your certificate is ready.

If you was willing to pay 100 THB (the old times) you got it within 2 hours...

Now price is more something like 300 THB but the extensive verification procedure is still the same.

Szenario 2, applied for the driving license with the resident certificate from your own embassy ( which is usually a lot more $$).

That is even more senseless, as the embassy will write down whatever address you provide them. They don't even need the utility bill...

So in the end, the immigration is sure that you actually live at the reported address, because every 90 days you confirm that information, that you gave to them in the first place.

I'm sure 99.80% or more of all the foreigner, which do the 90 days report, do it truthfully (and unnecessary every 90 days) but the 0.20% which have bad intentions or maybe suspect that a visit from the BIB or Interpol in the future could be possible, will of course not provide the correct address.

So the 90 days report is as helpful to security in Thailand as this bucket is for transporting water:

leaking-bucket.jpg

Immigration in Pattaya has ALWAYS asked for proof of address usually supplied by a rental agreement. If you haven't been asked before then you were lucky or maybe they are looser on this requirement than I knew. And yes, utility bills have always been mentioned as good for proof of address so that is new to me they did not accept that.

However, I will admit I have never been asked for the proof of address because I have always provided it without being asked.

"Immigration in Pattaya has ALWAYS asked for proof of address usually supplied by a rental agreement. If you haven't been asked before then you were lucky or maybe they are looser on this requirement than I knew."

No, not ALWAYS. I've done 7 extensions of stay and have never been asked for proof of address, although I've been asked a few times if I owned or rented. They accepted my response that I owned without requiring anything more.

On the Pattaya Expats website or whatever it's called, they mention that it isn't always asked for... or at least it did at one point, I haven't checked recently. I do supply a copy of my monthly internet bill for 90 day reports. Sometimes even that is handed back to me.

Just checked. It's Pattaya City Expats:

4. Although not consistently required, you may be asked to provide proof of residence – if so,

the documents required are usually a lease agreement, rental contract, or house papers (if you
own). If you are staying with a friend or at a hotel, you should get something from them in
writing stating the address and that you are residing there. We suggest you have this
document available in case you are asked for it – otherwise, you may be required to obtain it
before they will process your application (based on reports we receive, many have been asked
for proof of residence; so we suggest you have residence documents with you just in case.
Edited by Suradit69

Doing my extension I always go to same lady but for me she lives in same building I do which is nice, I was sick once and had to report that week she ran into me as I came home frim doctor asked how I was doing told bit sick doctor get some rest but have to do 90 day check in. She said no worry I do it for you next morning on her way to work she knocked on door said give me passport which I did that night she dropped it off stamped. Well needless to say I was grateful. so week later when she came home for work I asked her if she like some dinner So I took her out to eat. She offtered to do again but I said no problem I enjoy getting out and about. Sometimes timed it when she would be getting lunch. that worked out great cause her friends also got to know me less hassle if I needed help with paperwork. Got to know some higher ups too got good tips on borders to cross if I wanted to checkout new places no hassle crossings. Also worked if pulled over for the farang driving while not thai tea money shake down.

I had to prove my address today at the Pathumthani Immigration office. First time in 17 years. They accepted Thai DL.

My comment the same as OP. Used a form from Immigration to get the DL.

My 90 day report had a stamp on it, in Thai, saying "don't forget to renew your visa"! But a full 90 days given.

I have been here now for 9 months so on the last 90 day extension do to expire in August and will reapply then for my "marriage extension" (at Jomtien).

I have researched and it seems I need all of the same documentation I used last time again. I just have a couple of simple questions:

1. Can I use the same photos out front of our place of my wife and I and the brother in law and his wife that I used last time to support proof of residence?

2. I have the 2 options regarding finances. I have 400,000 + interest in a Term Deposit that will have been there for a year (a 2 year fixed term if I remember correctly) and I also qualify for the 40,000/mth income but need to go to the Embassy in Bangkok to get the Stat Dec. sorted. I woud prefer to use the Term Deposit details. Is that sufficient or should I take the trip to the Embasy?