Simple question - Do Thais eat Rabbit?

David48

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They eat both lamb and rabbit, but not that commonly. You can buy frozen lamb and I think rabbit in Makro. Some restaurants serve rabbit and lamb. Dog is less common than lamb.

How long do you rekon that lamb has been in the freezer at Makro,freezer burn all over it.

Kamphaeng Phet Province...ah.

Just been up there this past fortnight...loved the historical part - unbelievable that hardly anybody was visitong - looked like a nice little town.

I've also never seen rabbit on the menu and my kids were recently asking me your question. I reckon all nationalities are the same, some woukd eat rabbit, some wouldn't cause it's pet

As for lamb

Also its one of the animals on the Chinese calender, and they Frown on eating it., My wife loved Lamb., but I told her it was beef... Kinda like eating a cow in India...

The connection to the Chinese calendar makes no sense. Thai people happily eat rat, ox, snake, rooster and pig - all of which are on the calendar. No reason why rabbit should be different.

Yup, I think people should just accept that Thai's will eat just about anything.

Just not true. A lot depends on which area. My wife and her brother are quite happy to eat beef or lamb and they would eat rabbit from makro, perceived to be rabbit farmed for food rather than pets.

My wife's sister and brother in law however will not eat beef or lamb and I doubt rabbit. It has nothing to do with like or dislike, it is because of being of Chinese descent, taken some sort of vow. There is a large Chinese influence in this area.

My father in law died on Christmas day and for the remembrance last year I cooked a turkey, but very few of the locals touched it. It was seen as farang food and Thais do not eat farang food, as I keep being reminded.

To say that Thais will eat anything could not be further from the truth.

The wife is from sakon nakhon and reckons no thais eat dog...it's only the vietnamese and chinese in that area. I don't know if she's correct (certainly true though for her village area).

She is quite right about that. My wife used to work in Vietnam and knows first hand that they do eat dogs. Her niece is a student at the university in Guangzhou and we went to visit. That is a place where they will eat anything.

As a kid in London during WW2 I used to raise rabbits especially for eating. Better than chicken and for those who care, no fat. Years later when I took my beloved to England with me, we had quite a few picnics of cold baked rabbit and a bottle of wine and she didn't turn a hare!! Here in Thailand I keep threatening to buy Ozzy frozen rabbit but it has not been received with any enthusiasm. Maybe the stories of the rabbit disease myxomatosis' reached here?

i know thai cats will eat rabbit. i saw a pet rabbit in a cage on phi phi island. some thais had brought it over with them and were staying in the next bungalo. they let it loose to run around on the lawn.

POW! a cat the same size of the rabbit came out of the bushes and hit it like a ton of bricks..........they went back into the bushes in a flash with the poor rabbit squeeking its head off.

next morning the rabbit cage was still on the lawn. no bunny.

As a kid in London during WW2 I used to raise rabbits especially for eating. Better than chicken and for those who care, no fat. Years later when I took my beloved to England with me, we had quite a few picnics of cold baked rabbit and a bottle of wine and she didn't turn a hare!! Here in Thailand I keep threatening to buy Ozzy frozen rabbit but it has not been received with any enthusiasm. Maybe the stories of the rabbit disease myxomatosis' reached here?

Wiki:

Controversially, myxomatosis was introduced to France by the bacteriologist Dr. Paul Armand Delille, following his use of the virus to rid his private estate of rabbits in June 1952 (He inoculated two of the rabbits on his land). Within four months the virus had spread 50 km; Armand suspected this was due to poachers taking infected rabbits from his estate. By 1954, 90% of the wild rabbits in France were dead. The disease spread throughout Europe. It reached the UK in 1953, being illegally imported onto an estate in West Sussex. By 1955, about 95% of rabbits in the UK were dead.

Also its one of the animals on the Chinese calender, and they Frown on eating it., My wife loved Lamb., but I told her it was beef... Kinda like eating a cow in India...

The connection to the Chinese calendar makes no sense. Thai people happily eat rat, ox, snake, rooster and pig - all of which are on the calendar. No reason why rabbit should be different.

Yup, I think people should just accept that Thai's will eat just about anything.

My wife's sister and brother in law however will not eat beef or lamb and I doubt rabbit. It has nothing to do with like or dislike, it is because of being of Chinese descent, taken some sort of vow. There is a large Chinese influence in this area.

Yup, best stick to the maggots, duck embryo's and monkey brains.

• Like 2

My Japanese associates were astonished when I suggested rabbit at the restaurant. They all made the oooo...sounds but accepted wide eyed and fascinated. One of them, I remember, used to repeat 'labbit, labbit?? They loved it in the end.

So the Japanese do not eat rabbit but also my Filipino wife does not eat rabbit. As with lamb, my Filipino wife was coaxed into eating it by promising her that it was baby pork chops. Of course she enjoyed it. The excuse for not liking it is that ,according to the belief in the Philippines, smells terribly. I do not think lamb is eaten beyond India.

It seems that rabbit and lamb are not eaten in the Far East for reasons beyond my knowledge..

Best info from my wife is there are no wild rabbits in Thailand, at least up here in Issan, so they have never eaten. When I had (had is the operative word) to take my truck for blessing the Wat just outside Loei was over run with rabbits. People would bring their no longer wanted pets and turn them loose there. Keep that up much longer and there will be wild rabbits. I'd be willing to bet they would get eaten then, especially when they started destroying crops. Good tasting critters, we only shot them after a good freeze, too many diseases, always check the liver for spots. I liked them fried best, same same with squirrel. BBQ was good also as was rabbit or squirrel dumplings.

My Japanese associates were astonished when I suggested rabbit at the restaurant. They all made the oooo...sounds but accepted wide eyed and fascinated. One of them, I remember, used to repeat 'labbit, labbit?? They loved it in the end.

So the Japanese do not eat rabbit but also my Filipino wife does not eat rabbit. As with lamb, my Filipino wife was coaxed into eating it by promising her that it was baby pork chops. Of course she enjoyed it. The excuse for not liking it is that ,according to the belief in the Philippines, smells terribly. I do not think lamb is eaten beyond India.

It seems that rabbit and lamb are not eaten in the Far East for reasons beyond my knowledge..

Probably wouldn't eat a squeaky clean nicely fluffed up white poodle either.

But present it as a matted old mutt and it would be gobbled up in a heartbeat no doubt.

My pet rabbit was eaten when it strayed to far from the house. Someone came across it and killed it, then boasted to my SIL about how he had found a rabbit to eat which was strange as he didn't think they lived in the area. My SIL filled him in. So I guess they do if the opportunity arises.

when I lived in Australia I got very friendly with a farmer. We were regular visitors to his property for over 33 years before I came to Thailand. He introduced me to 'spotlighting' rabbits as they were eating his produce. I used to shoot 2 sacks of them per outing.. I used to like them curried. He used to sell me a wether which is a ram that has been castrated when a lamb. He used to sell me a grown wether for $5.00. he used to kill,gut, skin, and prepare it for me. Another friend of mine had 5 yearling steers on a property and he sold me one on the hoof for $15.00. I had to cut it up myself though. Do not confuse the word wether with weather, and whether as I have seen people do.

In Wales the castrated lamb is a Hogget, tastes the same. On subject of rabbit my wife says nooo rabbit for looking at, I love them.

A good Aussie friend was showing us photo of him with green parrots sitting on his arms, my wife's first question "You can eat them" can't print his reply

• Like 1

Never saw a Thai eating rabbit....

Thais who eat almost everything that is on the land or in the water still don't eat rabbit and horse....But frogs, bugs, rats etc...but no rabbits.

They won't eat those delicious flying vermin (pigeons) either! Something to do with them nesting in temples or something. Always makes me laugh (and I hear it a lot) when a Thai just says they NEED to eat something eg, insect, som tham, kanom jin etc.Then it becomes an obsession to find some. I often fancy a pizza or an Indian Ruby, but I can do without, no big deal.

Never saw a Thai eating rabbit....

Thais who eat almost everything that is on the land or in the water still don't eat rabbit and horse....But frogs, bugs, rats etc...but no rabbits.

They won't eat those delicious flying vermin (pigeons) either! Something to do with them nesting in temples or something. Always makes me laugh (and I hear it a lot) when a Thai just says they NEED to eat something eg, insect, som tham, kanom jin etc.Then it becomes an obsession to find some. I often fancy a pizza or an Indian Ruby, but I can do without, no big deal.

And lawd forbid they don't eat on time!

Being a New Zealander...we ate rabbit regularly...wild ones from the countryside. Braised in a pot for an hour or two with onions and potatos....Rabbit stew..it was hard to beat.

Rabbits are classed as a noxious pest in NZ and are therefore on the recreational shooters target list.

Thais consider rabbits as pets and likewise to a comment made by an earlier poster...thai folk look at me horrified when I tell them I have eaten rabbit.

Rabbits have have many uses (see attached pic)

• Like 1