Simple question - Do Thais eat Rabbit?

David48

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've yet to meet one Thai who shares my enthusiasm for eating Rabbit.

I think they find them far too cute to even consider cooking.

I tried some rat for the first time late last year (a large plump field rat as opposed to a dirty city rat). To my surprise, it tasted very similar

to rabbit.

Just a thought...

Then you are not well travelled here.

Also its one of the animals on the Chinese calender, and they Frown on eating it., My wife loved Lamb., but I told her it was beef... Kinda like eating a cow in India...

The connection to the Chinese calendar makes no sense. Thai people happily eat rat, ox, snake, rooster and pig - all of which are on the calendar. No reason why rabbit should be different.

• Like 1

Also its one of the animals on the Chinese calender, and they Frown on eating it., My wife loved Lamb., but I told her it was beef... Kinda like eating a cow in India...

The connection to the Chinese calendar makes no sense. Thai people happily eat rat, ox, snake, rooster and pig - all of which are on the calendar. No reason why rabbit should be different.

Yup, I think people should just accept that Thai's will eat just about anything.

when I lived in Australia I got very friendly with a farmer. We were regular visitors to his property for over 33 years before I came to Thailand. He introduced me to 'spotlighting' rabbits as they were eating his produce. I used to shoot 2 sacks of them per outing.. I used to like them curried. He used to sell me a wether which is a ram that has been castrated when a lamb. He used to sell me a grown wether for $5.00. he used to kill,gut, skin, and prepare it for me. Another friend of mine had 5 yearling steers on a property and he sold me one on the hoof for $15.00. I had to cut it up myself though. Do not confuse the word wether with weather, and whether as I have seen people do.

I've seen large white rabbits bread specifically for the table on sale here. Having seen the film & read the book ('watership down') my family were quite happy to eat the cast:)

ferreting.jpg

(Ferreting is one of the few things I miss from home!)

Edited by evadgib

Mine eats lamb but doesnt like rabbit, i been thinking about letting a few pairs loose up the bush, bring back the old days of rabbit shootingand or ferreting...do they have ferrets in thai cant say ever seen one.... apart from the local populace..cheesy.gif

...i'd think twice about sticking my hand down a hole in this country... :)

_47661760_newimage.jpg

(Fred J Taylor of 'Shooting Times' had a similar experience with a brown rat snake in Oz!)

Edited by evadgib

They eat both lamb and rabbit, but not that commonly. You can buy frozen lamb and I think rabbit in Makro. Some restaurants serve rabbit and lamb. Dog is less common than lamb.

I've seen large white rabbits bread specifically for the table on sale here. Having seen the film & read the book ('watership down') my family were quite happy to eat the cast:)

ferreting.jpg

(Ferreting is one of the few things I miss from home!)

I often let my Ferret out for a run. Both he & I enjoy it immensely biggrin.png .

Simple question - Do Thais eat Rabbit?

Simple answer - Ask one. (Better yet ... several)

blink.png

Well ... I do understand what you mean ... I think that sometimes also.

But in this case, I don't know Thais from all over thailand ... only my immediate family and friends near Bangkok.

So I was curious if, generally, over Thailand they rabbits were eaten.

• Like 1

I have never seen anyone here eat rabbit but I have seen many guinea pigs eaten. Guinea pig = nuu dta phao.

My father-in-law uses sweetcorn as bait and sits near their burrow with a catapult (slingshot) to catch them.

Uh, guinea pigs live in South America, not Thailand. Must be something else.