Simple question - Do Thais eat Rabbit?

David48

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. In my daughter's village they keep them for that purpose. I have not had it - as far as I know yet.

Village is located next to what big city?

Just trying to see if it's consumed just locally or a wider Thailand thing.

Thanks for the reply.

Could the same question also be asked of lamb?

Despite being cooked by our NZ neighbour, our attempts for my Thai Lassie to appreciate the flavour of Lamb ... it fell on deaf taste buds.

The lamb roast was OK, if the fat was removed ... was the fat which she said smelt the most.

But Lamb Chops ... no way ... bah.gif

Meanwhile ... back at the rabbit farm ... rolleyes.gif

The village is about 10 miles south of KPP. At present they have about 6 rabbits.

It is something new for their community. I guess if it is successful then more neighbours will start keeping them.

How widely it is consumed I have no idea.

No sheep yet. I would guess they would need to be in cooler mountainous regions.

Edited by Johnjc
  • Like 1

I've seen rat, bamboo, bugs, pigs penis, snake, big fat frogs and fermented fish guts being consumed but never rabbit. Could this be a huge growth market?

I was talking with a Thai family friend yesterday & he claimed that at his village in the N.E. they no longer consume field rats, snakes, frogs and so on due to the contamination of the environment by pesticides. Also said they no longer eat dogs as the meat is too expensive.

Despite being cooked by our NZ neighbour, our attempts for my Thai Lassie to appreciate the flavour of Lamb ... it fell on deaf taste buds.

The lamb roast was OK, if the fat was removed ... was the fat which she said smelt the most.

Yeah, my SO spent nearly a year in NZ with me and never acquired the taste for lamb. Said it smelled too strong. She would even say I smelled after I ate lamb. Chops, roast or curry...detested it all, and she is not usually a fussy eater.

Coincidentally, I read a study which claimed lamb (but not mutton) consumption does change the body odour in a detrimental way. The study was about pheromones.

Never saw a Thai eating rabbit....

Thais who eat almost everything that is on the land or in the water still don't eat rabbit and horse....But frogs, bugs, rats etc...but no rabbits.

• Like 1

Yeah, my SO spent nearly a year in NZ with me and never acquired the taste for lamb. Said it smelled too strong. She would even say I smelled after I ate lamb. Chops, roast or curry...detested it all, and she is not usually a fussy eater.

Coincidentally, I read a study which claimed lamb (but not mutton) consumption does change the body odour in a detrimental way. The study was about pheromones.

My experience is also that the Lassie said 'it smells too much'.

I will drop by and like these comments .. but are past my quota for the day.

Mean while ... back at the Rabbit Farm .. anyone eating?

Every time I show a Thai a picture of an animal, bug....great or small..... beautiful or not, the first question seems to be "can you eat it?".

I even showed a very small Robin in the snow......yup "can you eat it?"

Seems killing it and a couple or aroi mouthfuls, outweigh by far any sense of ongoing aesthetic pleasure.

• Like 1

I've yet to meet one Thai who shares my enthusiasm for eating Rabbit.

I think they find them far too cute to even consider cooking.

I tried some rat for the first time late last year (a large plump field rat as opposed to a dirty city rat). To my surprise, it tasted very similar

to rabbit.

Just a thought...

Mine eats lamb but doesnt like rabbit, i been thinking about letting a few pairs loose up the bush, bring back the old days of rabbit shootingand or ferreting...do they have ferrets in thai cant say ever seen one.... apart from the local populace..cheesy.gif

Not just Thais don't like rabbit. I remember, some years ago on a visit to the States, talking about stewed rabbit. My ladyfriend, with a look of sheer horror, said "You mean, you eat THUMPER !!!"

My Experience was NO... I had a huge Python for a pet and used to feed him rabbits i,d find it the markets., but got alot of "flax" when they found out I was feeding them to my snake., Also its one of the animals on the Chinese calender, and they Frown on eating it., My wife loved Lamb., but I told her it was beef... Kinda like eating a cow in India...