My Experience Retirement Extension Immigration 14/5/2014

ajnamoon

The annoying thing here in this thread is that nobody takes in consideration that Immi offices can be totally different in their demands. OP seems to talk about CM, others talk about Phuket, fine, just realize that Immi offices can be easier or more difficult. Personally I go Udon thani, it's a friendly office with competent officers. Two weeks ago I went in for another retirement extension, came in at 9.30, had to wait 15 mins and another 15 mins for the extension, this time it also included transfer of info into my new passport. For newbies there are Thai students at the front of the office, to help anyone with filling out their application, very good service.

On line booking a q might be possible in CM and other offices, certainly not in UT.

Requirements in Udon for retirement extension, in my case based on income of 65K minimum per month:

Application form with photo, passport plus copies of photo page and pages with former extensions (not all pages with stamps), copy of yellow house book, Embassy letter, driving plan from UT to your home, 1900 baht

I know from a friend in Nong khai that they demand much more, indeed bank book pages copied (one year), translation of Embassy letter in Thai, and so on. That's why I say, and more to newbies who want to learn from TV experiences: go to your Immi office and ask for a written paper with the requirements. They have that and that way you know exactly what they require at that office.

If you want to be sure, make all those copies but don't show them, only when asked.

Using an agent is easy, and as long as it is not cracked down a choice to spend a lot of money for something you can easily do yourself. Those that use an agent will see a time that it stops, but no problem, as then they can do it themselves. It is a logical thing, as you are demanded to "apply in person", in Udon the officer also takes a photo while you are there, so how does an agent do that? But maybe not necessary in that particular office. Remember that just shortly two Immi officers were transferred to an inactive post as result of allowing agents to do the work without the applicant showing up............

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I renewed my OA visa two weeks ago, yes, I renewed it, in my world ladders and handshakes get extended, visa's get renewed!

Booked the appointment 100 days prior using the online system, I rolled up 15 minutes prior. Fifteen minutes later I was called and 10 minutes later I was sat waiting for my passport - 20 minutes thereafter I was out the door with my renewed visa, what could possibly be easier.

Note: the officer was her charming and polite usual self, lots of smiles, efficient and very polite - I had neglected to make a copy of the account/name page of a bank passbook and she put it into the scanner on her desk and made the copy for me..

Booking on-line sounds fine but it doesn't seem like something you can do for your first extension as you can't reserve a place to extend a visa you don't already have....or can you?

If you are applying for a visa / retirement extension etc there is no reason why you cannot book online. It's those using it for 90 day reporting and simple tasks that are the thorns.

Yes, I was at Chiang Mai Immigration on the same day. I was with my wife who had booked an appointment for both of us at 14.00 for that day. (We actually arrived 11.30 to process an overstay of my wife of 20 days (she forgot her 90 day thing). Unfortunately, she had tried to book online (90 days earlier) for any date prior to 11 May when our retirement visa expired. This meant a 3 day overstay that we thought might be overlooked as the booking system couldn't accommodate the date we needed.

The three day overstay created a delay, B1500 fine for each of us and our passports endorsed accordingly!! Two hours later we eventually got our passports back but my wife needed a re-entry visa that couldn't be processed until getting her passport back. Because the passport was now endorsed the paperwork took another hour to process so they asked for her to come back the next day. We didn't want to do that so after some negotiation they agreed to do it. Another hour and we were on our way.

That was nearly five hours altogether but we did get everything we needed.. We weren't the last to leave and already it was 4.30.

Easily my worst experience there in 11 years but no real aggro apart from the irritation of all that waiting and no free WiFi to keep me occupied!

• Like 1

The annoying thing here in this thread is that nobody takes in consideration that Immi offices can be totally different in their demands. OP seems to talk about CM, others talk about Phuket, fine, just realize that Immi offices can be easier or more difficult. Personally I go Udon thani, it's a friendly office with competent officers. Two weeks ago I went in for another retirement extension, came in at 9.30, had to wait 15 mins and another 15 mins for the extension, this time it also included transfer of info into my new passport. For newbies there are Thai students at the front of the office, to help anyone with filling out their application, very good service.

On line booking a q might be possible in CM and other offices, certainly not in UT.

Requirements in Udon for retirement extension, in my case based on income of 65K minimum per month:

Application form with photo, passport plus copies of photo page and pages with former extensions (not all pages with stamps), copy of yellow house book, Embassy letter, driving plan from UT to your home, 1900 baht

I know from a friend in Nong khai that they demand much more, indeed bank book pages copied (one year), translation of Embassy letter in Thai, and so on. That's why I say, and more to newbies who want to learn from TV experiences: go to your Immi office and ask for a written paper with the requirements. They have that and that way you know exactly what they require at that office.

If you want to be sure, make all those copies but don't show them, only when asked.

Using an agent is easy, and as long as it is not cracked down a choice to spend a lot of money for something you can easily do yourself. Those that use an agent will see a time that it stops, but no problem, as then they can do it themselves. It is a logical thing, as you are demanded to "apply in person", in Udon the officer also takes a photo while you are there, so how does an agent do that? But maybe not necessary in that particular office. Remember that just shortly two Immi officers were transferred to an inactive post as result of allowing agents to do the work without the applicant showing up............

This is a Chiang Mai forum which might explain why the OP posted his experience with CM immigration here as opposed to, say, the Udon forum. You say you go to Udon Thani. Have you ever done a visa extension in Chiang Mai? If not, don't tell the rest of us how easy it is. Udon and Chiang Mai are worlds apart.

• Like 2

Booking on-line sounds fine but it doesn't seem like something you can do for your first extension as you can't reserve a place to extend a visa you don't already have....or can you?

If you are applying for a visa / retirement extension etc there is no reason why you cannot book online. It's those using it for 90 day reporting and simple tasks that are the thorns.

What I meant was the validity of a single entry non-imm visa is 90 days so by the time I get it, there will be no slots left to book the extension....unless I can make a booking before I actually get the visa. I'm not even sure how late it is possible to leave it before applying for an extension, i.e. how many days you need to have left on your original visa?

Sure there is. I tried booking three months in advance and there were no open time slots. It's a good system when it works for you. Completely useless when it doesn't.

When I first moved to Chiang Mai 13 years ago, it was easy to get a new yearly visa. You'd just go to almost any tour agent in town, leave your passport, and pay some money. No paperwork, no personal appearance. The visas came back two weeks later marked as stamped in Australia, Malaysia, or the UK. Those turned out to be illegal and the practice was shut down. These days, the visa assisting agents follow all the required procedures, all the required paperwork submitted, and the stamping happens in the Chiang Mai Immigration Office with legitimate franking. The passport holder only needs to show up at Immigration for 5 minutes to sign the paper in front of the Immigration Officer. No waiting at all. None. Very convenient, very fast and easy, and completely legal.

• Like 1

This is a Chiang Mai forum which might explain why the OP posted his experience with CM immigration here as opposed to, say, the Udon forum. You say you go to Udon Thani. Have you ever done a visa extension in Chiang Mai? If not, don't tell the rest of us how easy it is. Udon and Chiang Mai are worlds apart.

Ok, I admit not to have seen that this is the CM forum. I get TV newsletter and click on subjects.............

But your assumption and accusation is totally wrong. If you would have finished primary school you could have read that my first sentence is exactly about the fact that different Immi offices can have different requirements. I gave example of that from my own experience, not to tell "the rest of us" how easy it is, but how different it is. Got it?

good post.

We here in Chiang Mai are limited in what we can expect from Immigration. The immigration office here is to small to accommodate the amount of officers to do the work needed in a speedy way such as is in other offices. We have been granted the right to hire 15 more staff but Bangkok is doing the hiring in their own sweet time. Also the building would not accommodate them. One of the posters indicated earlier that they were going to build a new office so that should greatly relieve the problem.

Like the OP said it is not that difficult but for some things can be time consuming. The seating area is far to small to accommodate the people waiting for the various visas and what not. Some people don't like to go just for that reason . All though there is a small restaurant on the property also a small coffee bar. If you fill out your paper work properly all you have to do is go in and around the back they have a photo copying center. I am relatively sure that if you tell them what visa you are after they will know what to make copies of also their is a place to get your photograph.

You mentioned not all places are the same in the requirement for information. Every once in a while we hear about them asking for some thing else here but it is a rare thing. For instance some one was asked for proof of his residency here in Chiang Mai for his extension. Little stuff like that. Hopefully they will have a new building some time this year. But that could be just a rumor. We had one a while back that they were going to have another office where all the Burmese would go. At the time they were overflowing the place they were even out on the lawn along the street. But they did not have any thing to do with the yearly extensions. Also very little to do with the 90 day report. That is a system that they have really improved on. The longest I ever waited was an hour and a half now you can pretty well be assured of in and out in half an hour. You don't even have to go in for it. You can hire some one or your GF or wife can do it for you.

As for using the agents. It has changed a little bit here I can remember when I first heard about it you had to go in for the yearly they would have a time for you so it was an in and out. Now you don't have to go in just pay the money. Can't really see them doing away with that service as they are assured when the agent comes in that all the paper work is done properly and it is all there. As for agents doing the 90 day. Don't know. An agent comes in with a handful of passports and takes up a fair amount of time. Heard of one who tried to just go to the front of the line as it seems that is what a lot did and the agent told him to go get a number. We also have a mail in system here for the 90 day but you can never be sure of it. They have been known to just stop doing it and then to start doing it but only for out lying areas that are not really clearly defined if you can find a copy of the map. Not sure what they are doing now. Seems like a dicey move if they require the passport. I know I won't be mailing mine to them.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

My advice for all you poor souls living in Chang Mai is to move to a different province. I live in Saraburi province and go to Lopburi Immigration anmd what you recount seems like fiction to me. Today I extended my visa ( For Retiirement) and got a re-entry stamp without any problems in less thasn half an hour. I have been here 7 years and did all the paperwork as usual, most of the copies were stored on my PC since last year and I only had to make a few extra copies. No appointment is required.

The only "delay" was whilst a senior member of staff explained that she was concerned that I came in for 90 day reporting and I didn't need to, I explained that it didn't trouble me and that I always did some shopping while I was in Lopburi, she was happy with that. They are kind, considerate and efficient there and only concerned with helping aliens to get the correct authorisation if it is within the Thai rules.

good post.

We here in Chiang Mai are limited in what we can expect from Immigration. The immigration office here is to small to accommodate the amount of officers to do the work needed in a speedy way such as is in other offices. We have been granted the right to hire 15 more staff but Bangkok is doing the hiring in their own sweet time. Also the building would not accommodate them. One of the posters indicated earlier that they were going to build a new office so that should greatly relieve the problem.

Like the OP said it is not that difficult but for some things can be time consuming. The seating area is far to small to accommodate the people waiting for the various visas and what not. Some people don't like to go just for that reason . All though there is a small restaurant on the property also a small coffee bar. If you fill out your paper work properly all you have to do is go in and around the back they have a photo copying center. I am relatively sure that if you tell them what visa you are after they will know what to make copies of also their is a place to get your photograph.

You mentioned not all places are the same in the requirement for information. Every once in a while we hear about them asking for some thing else here but it is a rare thing. For instance some one was asked for proof of his residency here in Chiang Mai for his extension. Little stuff like that. Hopefully they will have a new building some time this year. But that could be just a rumor. We had one a while back that they were going to have another office where all the Burmese would go. At the time they were overflowing the place they were even out on the lawn along the street. But they did not have any thing to do with the yearly extensions. Also very little to do with the 90 day report. That is a system that they have really improved on. The longest I ever waited was an hour and a half now you can pretty well be assured of in and out in half an hour. You don't even have to go in for it. You can hire some one or your GF or wife can do it for you.

As for using the agents. It has changed a little bit here I can remember when I first heard about it you had to go in for the yearly they would have a time for you so it was an in and out. Now you don't have to go in just pay the money. Can't really see them doing away with that service as they are assured when the agent comes in that all the paper work is done properly and it is all there. As for agents doing the 90 day. Don't know. An agent comes in with a handful of passports and takes up a fair amount of time. Heard of one who tried to just go to the front of the line as it seems that is what a lot did and the agent told him to go get a number. We also have a mail in system here for the 90 day but you can never be sure of it. They have been known to just stop doing it and then to start doing it but only for out lying areas that are not really clearly defined if you can find a copy of the map. Not sure what they are doing now. Seems like a dicey move if they require the passport. I know I won't be mailing mine to them.

I totally agree, some offices have to run in a too small area, with not enough staff. I came 7 years ago, Udon had no office, so up to Nong khai (separate nice building, but not easy staff and far away from being friendly). Then they found space under the international hospital in Udon, so my first extension was there. Mind you my 90 day reporting went down the drain as they closed the office :) Back to NK again. Then they got a spacious place at the old terminal of the airport, but that changed again. Now since a few years they are located in a side building of the Provincial police station. Not large, but sufficient. You enter, are welcomed by female students, they ask what you apply for, check your papers and show you what desk will be handling your application. For 90 day reports they have one officer and they give out q numbers, as it can be crowded. Luckily there is a coffee shop outside so waiting is not too bad.

One time I came in late morning, one minute before lunch time close. The 90 day officer asked me where I'm from, how far, so I answered 75 km and back. He said ok I will make an exception and do your 90 day report.......... A shame not all offices are friendly and well equipped.

hi Again

Just a follow up to my recent posting on retirement experience yesterday

Just looked up translation of thai national anthem

First two verses Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of thai blood

Every inch of thailand belongs to the Thais

After reading this translation i find it even more bizzare that falangs at immigration were asked to stand for national anthem !!!!1

If you remain seated, especially in a public place, you're likely to be berated for ill-manners.

We are guests in their country, their king.

Guest should be someone welcome, respected and free of charge but we bring a lot of money here and we help to develop the country too. we aren't migrants come to exploiting the country or looking for a better life like burmese or cambodians...

Respect can be earned by standing up for the host country national anthem for example.

To ajnamoon

Thanks for posting your experiences - some of us appreciate it. However, there are a group on ThaiVisa who use the site to vent, and why not (if you are a bored retiree). So a great and informative post (criticised a couple of times for not being eloquent enough) rapidly degenerates into a stream of posts about other things and some of the folk on the site come out swinging their handbags - not at you - but at each other. Hence the heated bits about standing for the national anthem and using agents.

If the truth be know there are a bunch of folk whose only enjoyment is trolling those who post or arguing with an avatar with whom they have crossed swords before. But it is fun to read I often have a bloody good laugh at some of the comments and there are times when some of the funnier guys and gals with their clever play on words really make my day.

But often the posts I like the most are those that go "chill out guys - Its a matter of choice if you do / think a or b or c"

So folk - keep posting your experiences - they are worthwhile - they give the rest of us: a chance to gauge changes at Immigration; to add essential docs to our document bundle at our next visit; to note things that need to be done and should not be done - IN A WORD - THEY HELP

Well good to see that some positive responses to my immigration experience

the main purpose of my posting as you have aggreed was to give people an idea of what to expect if they have not been to immigration office before

As far as my comments on national anthem goes i was not berating it just stating a fact how strange it was taking into account the translation of it ie All people of thai blood (no wellcome extension for foreigners) merely an observation

Of course i have full respect for country and its rules and laws and realize that if im asked to stand on my head at immigration to get visa i will have to do that !!!

taking all into account think i will use an agent for my next appointment 90 day report

Best wishes to all Ajnamoon

To ajnamoon

Thanks for posting your experiences - some of us appreciate it. However, there are a group on ThaiVisa who use the site to vent, and why not (if you are a bored retiree). So a great and informative post (criticised a couple of times for not being eloquent enough) rapidly degenerates into a stream of posts about other things and some of the folk on the site come out swinging their handbags - not at you - but at each other. Hence the heated bits about standing for the national anthem and using agents.

If the truth be know there are a bunch of folk whose only enjoyment is trolling those who post or arguing with an avatar with whom they have crossed swords before. But it is fun to read I often have a bloody good laugh at some of the comments and there are times when some of the funnier guys and gals with their clever play on words really make my day.

But often the posts I like the most are those that go "chill out guys - Its a matter of choice if you do / think a or b or c"

So folk - keep posting your experiences - they are worthwhile - they give the rest of us: a chance to gauge changes at Immigration; to add essential docs to our document bundle at our next visit; to note things that need to be done and should not be done - IN A WORD - THEY HELP

the main purpose of my posting as you have aggreed was to give people an idea of what to expect if they have not been to immigration office before

As far as my comments on national anthem goes i was not berating it just stating a fact how strange it was taking into account the translation of it ie All people of thai blood (no wellcome extension for foreigners) merely an observation

Of course i have full respect for country and its rules and laws and realize that if im asked to stand on my head at immigration to get visa i will have to do that !!!

taking all into account think i will use an agent for my next appointment 90 day report

It's a bloody NATIONAL anthem, i.e. Thai, so why do they need to put that in?

It's not an International Anthem.

Out of curiosity because I don't know and can't be bothered to look it up, which western countries DO put that in?

Edited by uptheos

To ajnamoon

It's a bloody NATIONAL anthem, i.e. Thai, so why do they need to put that in?

It's not an International Anthem.

Out of curiosity because I don't know and can't be bothered to look it up, which western countries DO put that in?

Are you talking about an International Anthem. I don't even know if there is one.

I have successfully booked an appointment, on line for a retirement extension for the last 2/3 years. However for the last one it was not an easy task to get a slot and surely the time will come, when without more staff, the system, as it is, will be saturated.It will be akin to winning a Thai lottery.

Not sure who owns the building/land next door,which appears to be vacant, and where once upon a time you could park, but that would make sense,wouldn't it.CM is not going to stop growing in expats.

• Like 1

Regardless who you are, you still have to jump though the hoops, it is the Thai way, don't like it? you can always return to your country. I always make a opp. but sometimes I just get shuffled around from one office to another, and not one person ask the same questions, finally after being here 6 months on a retirement visa, I find out that I have been reporting to the wrong address, instead of Bangkok I should be going to Nonthaburi, which is where we live. So now I have a 1 year visa, but have to check in every 3 months to show proof of address. Inconvenient if you want to travel anywhere else in the world, because you know you can't go very far, or stay very long anywhere. But that life if you want to live in Thailand. It's best to just get used to it, learn to relax and enjoy life.

So now I have a 1 year visa, but have to check in every 3 months to show proof of address. Inconvenient if you want to travel anywhere else in the world, because you know you can't go very far, or stay very long anywhere.

Do you mean the 90 day reporting? If so, you can leave the country. You only have to report when you've been in Thailand for 90 days.

• Like 1

Regardless who you are, you still have to jump though the hoops, it is the Thai way, don't like it? you can always return to your country. I always make a opp. but sometimes I just get shuffled around from one office to another, and not one person ask the same questions, finally after being here 6 months on a retirement visa, I find out that I have been reporting to the wrong address, instead of Bangkok I should be going to Nonthaburi, which is where we live. So now I have a 1 year visa, but have to check in every 3 months to show proof of address. Inconvenient if you want to travel anywhere else in the world, because you know you can't go very far, or stay very long anywhere. But that life if you want to live in Thailand. It's best to just get used to it, learn to relax and enjoy life.

Don't know very much do you?

When you leave the country your 90 day reporting stops

You can travel the world for as long as you like, your 90 day report becomes due 90 days from the date you return to Thailand.

• Like 2

If you leave the country you only have to do a 90 DAY report, calculated from the date of your return to Thailand.Of course you get a re entry visa before you leave or you are back to square one on your return. Has no bearing how long you are out of the country, or where you go.

• Like 2

Look forward to receiving your postcards from far away exotic places. wink.png

Finger not quite on the pulse is it!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Booked my online retirement extension for 10am during August 2014

Will arrive at 0955 and no doubt be out of there at 1020 as usual,

OP take the money and put it in a single account, in your name.

The whole 800,000 has to be solely yours.

Of course depending on your g/f if you discuss this first, she might be proactive and put it in her name.

Just a thought.

For many years I have booked "online" to start the renewal of the annual extension procedure the time to start is10 AM, I arrive at about 9.50 AM and confirm at the desk my arrival.

But it never starts at 10 AM, I have to wait until about 10.20 AM, then enter the officers desk for 15 /20 minutes to finalize the matter.

Then the renewed visa page in the passport has to be signed by the top immigration officer, and that takes some time more than one hour, nevertheless, the time factor it is not a problem.

The passport holder only needs to show up at Immigration for 5 minutes to sign the paper in front of the Immigration Officer. No waiting at all. None. Very convenient, very fast and easy, and completely legal.

I paid 5500 baht for the visa extension and re entry permit (agent's fees only). I dropped my passport off and picked it up 2 days later. I had to sign the papers the agent filled out, but that was at his office. Never set foot in immigration.

Do you, or do you NOT, have to visit Immigration if you hire an agent? I was under the impression you DID have to appear......

The passport holder only needs to show up at Immigration for 5 minutes to sign the paper in front of the Immigration Officer. No waiting at all. None. Very convenient, very fast and easy, and completely legal.

I paid 5500 baht for the visa extension and re entry permit (agent's fees only). I dropped my passport off and picked it up 2 days later. I had to sign the papers the agent filled out, but that was at his office. Never set foot in immigration.

Do you, or do you NOT, have to visit Immigration if you hire an agent? I was under the impression you DID have to appear......

There is no consistency in anything in this country. At that time, on that day, I did not have to visit immigration. YMMV.

I think that is the law, but some agents are able to get around it for a fee. TIT -This is Thailand.

Edited by Ulysses G.