How much does it cost to run aircon?

I lived in Africa most of my life so the AC comes on at 30 Deg C and is set for a balmy 27 Deg. I use a fan up to that point, but AC is the biggest consumer of electricity in my place.

You will have significantly increased costs in a room facing the sun, so awnings or external shutters, together with reflective film would be a good investment.

For more long term savings, double glazing should be considered.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'It's one of the corner rooms and unfortunately has 2 large windows instead of walls around the 'corner' edges. So basically a large greenhouse'.

This is the core of the problem of course. I came across a product in a Leroy Merlin store, a product which is really a self adhesive transparent tape which you apply on the glass pane and it is supposed to increase the insulation properties of the glass. I never tried it but the fact that this product is available in a reputable store makes one think that this might help.I remember this was not an expensive product and one, no doubt, could place a second layer. The transparency of the product was excellent ( this is what the label on the product claimed) You maybe try to find such a product and reduce the heat imput from the environment.

Curtains with UV protection will certainly help and if you have a good security screen door you could open the main door and windows for a while to allow cross-flow ventilation once you arrive home. The the air-con can then work without too much of a load. We had a similar situation in Darwin and got around it with these simple tricks.

When we turned the air-con on we usually turned it off around midnight when it had cooled down. Hope this helps.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

You can get a UV curtain inside your curtain.

That will help a bit.

Leave windows open with just the fly screen.

25 is a nice temperature

Most importantly have a cold shower when you get in while waiting for room to cool down.

I'm up to 4 showers a day at the moment.

Single story house thin tiles . Etc .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even my cold shower is lukewarm thesedays, water tank must be on the roof in direct sunlight (bkk) :-(

• Like 1

'It's one of the corner rooms and unfortunately has 2 large windows instead of walls around the 'corner' edges. So basically a large greenhouse'.

This is the core of the problem of course. I came across a product in a Leroy Merlin store, a product which is really a self adhesive transparent tape which you apply on the glass pane and it is supposed to increase the insulation properties of the glass. I never tried it but the fact that this product is available in a reputable store makes one think that this might help.I remember this was not an expensive product and one, no doubt, could place a second layer. The transparency of the product was excellent ( this is what the label on the product claimed) You maybe try to find such a product and reduce the heat imput from the environment.

Leave both windows open and let the wind breeze through, it should make a huge difference depending on how high up you are

The higher the more wind ime

HI

my first monthly electric bill was 600 baht at Malin Plaza Residence. My room faced the sun to it got hot. I took many cold showers. I also bought a room fan for about $15 which I always have running. I run the a/c at 28 degrees and only for about 5 or 10 minutes an hour. The nights were cool enough to just run the fan but no screen on the window allowed mosquitos in even with a coil burning. I moved to a better place that faces south so I run the a/c less. With a fan on it keeps me cool. I hope this helps.

All curtains will do is stop sun damage, they don't really cut down on the heat coming in. For that you would need a window film.

If he stays, I would recommend airing the place out when you get home. Leave your windows open and front door open for 2 minutes (it annoys me, and everyone else, when you leave those doors open too long). That wont take the heat out of that concrete that has been in the sun all day though, so it is tough.

The last, and perhaps most important thing, to consider is the current angle of the sun. It is actually more in the northern sky right now at this time of year, meaning it rises and sets north of east/west. Thailand gets both north and south exposure at different times of year. This happens because we are in between the equator and tropic of cancer. Anyway, you should find out what direction you face. It could be that if you face north west for example, that in 4 or 5 months you will hardly be getting any sun. If you really want to see what is going on, with a little patience you can figure it out here...... (you will need bangkok latitude: ~13.75)

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/motion3/animations/sunmotions.html

My bill for a 24KBTU aircon (+ fridge, TV, PC, water heating, washing machine, lights, oven, ceiling fan etc) in a 60+sqm condo at 28 degrees 24/7 used to be 4000-5000B. Simply replacing the crappy old aircon unit with a new inverter one reduced my bill to well below 2000B, so it should pay for itself within a year or so.

All curtains will do is stop sun damage, they don't really cut down on the heat coming in. For that you would need a window film.

Solar backed curtains work awesome.

they work, but i wouldn't call it awesome because the heat enters the room and only is partly contained between curtain and window.

window film, no matter how dark, doesn't help to much either if it is not reflecting.

even the coated "mirror glass" my home is fitted with cannot perform miracles.

if you are not living in a condo then shade trees are the best.

mirror%20glass2.jpg

My condo is similar, but has blackout curtains and double glazed, thermal windows. I run the ac 4-5 hours max. My electric bill runs 4-600 Baht. I cool the place down, shut the ac, off and use the ac/fan intermittently.

Good luck my friend.

please define "cooling the place down" in Centigrades or Fahrenheit.

Run 2 air cons nearly 24/7 @ 17 degrees along with floor fans.

House is a 3/2 and so far bill has never exceeded 4,000 THB.

The house is always cool.

the house is always 17ºC cool? coffee1.gif

Nope. Not more than 600. I guess.

what per day?

my last bill (apr15-may15) was 20,747 Baht = 691.50 Baht/day. estimated aircon share last month billing ~13,000 Baht.

Yes, I am very impressed with your financial status. I'm sure we all are.

Judging by the fact that the OP obviously won't be leaving the AC on 24 hours a day (otherwise he wouldn't be asking about costs) and the fact that we spend a maximum of ฿1200.- for cooling two badly insulated rooms a month, sometimes as little as ฿800.-. And that includes PC, fans, fridge, freezer and TV. We also pay the electricity for a relatives house, they have no AC and come to sit here every afternoon.

Edited by cooked

Right thanks everyone. I'm taking from this it should be in the region of about 1000-2000, but I won't know for sure until I get the bill.

I can handle 1000-2000. It was more if it was going to be 4000+ I'd have to move. From what I'm seeing, there's virtually no chance of this been the case. So I'll run it as I like this month and see what the bill comes to.

As for new curtains, window film etc...I'm not sure that would go down too well with the condo owner. Plus from googling the prices of window film installation it looks like the savings will really only come in the second year, and I might not be here that long anyway. Providing it remains in the 1000-2000 area I'll be fine just paying for the aircon.

what per day?

my last bill (apr15-may15) was 20,747 Baht = 691.50 Baht/day. estimated aircon share last month billing ~13,000 Baht.

Judging by the fact that the OP obviously won't be leaving the AC on 24 hours a day (otherwise he wouldn't be asking about costs) and the fact that we spend a maximum of ฿1200.- for cooling two badly insulated rooms a month, sometimes as little as ฿800.-. And that includes PC, fans, fridge, freezer and TV. We also pay the electricity for a relatives house, they have no AC and come to sit here every afternoon.

and i am very impressed and totally flabbergasted that you can afford to pay for the electricity of your relatives. keep up the good job and make merit for your rebirth!

wink.png

what per day?

and i am very impressed and totally flabbergasted that you can afford to pay for the electricity of your relatives. keep up the good job and make merit for your rebirth!

wink.png

Good old Naam we can always depend on you for the appropriate put down .