Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card

There are people that have gotten 5 year licenses with a tourist visa all it take is a certificate of residence from immigration.

I think it comes down to the immigration office who issue the certificates. I will certainly go there and attempt to get a certificate of residence bfeore renewing my driving license and see what happens.

I've got a certificate of residence before while on a 30 day visa exampt stamp. I bought a new car last summer while on an Ed visa, this required a certificate of residence to register the vehicle in my name. By the time I changed the red plate over to a white plate which was about 6 months later they needed another certificate of residence for some reason. At that point I was no longer on the Ed visa but on a 30 day visa exempt entry as I didn't bother to continue the Thai language course but they still gave me the certificate for registering the car plate when I went to immigration.

I don't know if it makes any difference but my driving license was issued based on having a full UK license for many years. There was no test, no nothing. They just accepted the paperwork and gave me a one year license.

Edited by ukrules

Question for existing holders of Thailand Elite easy access 500k THB card:

this is essentially 5 years multiple entry TOURIST visa, right?

How is that going to affect my Thai Driving License Renewal and IDP application? To best of my knowledge you need to have at least Non-O / Work Permit visa to get these things done. Thanks in advance.

You can only get a one year drivers. (i think it's called "temporary"). Even after ten years you will have only a one year licence.

Yes. It is an unlimited tourist visa.

Also not good for yellow book

Also not good for yellow book

This I didn't know. So you need a non-imm for the yellow thabian baan ? I've got one already, I thought the only requirement was that the blue book principal said I live at the address (my wife) + 2 witnesses (I had in-laws vouch for that). I don't remember them checking my immigration status, but I guess they did at some point.

• Like 1

Gerry 1011, you are spot on! This is a program targeted at high net worth people who clearly have a different lifestyle then the average guy. Nothing wrong with that at all because everybody has their own responsibilities and so on. For me,

even though I am over 50 and married for many years I am also ready to join because the service and convenience of it all is value to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

I read somewhere to be eligible for the Thai Elite Card you have to own at least 1 million baht in properties in Thailand to even be considered. Is that true?

That is not true.

You just pay 500k baht for a five year membership.

You can also get a 30 year membership for 2 million baht that has a lot of perks. You also have to pay 20k baht fee every year.

When the program first started it was 1 million baht for a 20 year

Wasn't the original program 1M for a LIFETIME membership (and visa)?

Only 20 years come to mind but there may of been an option to pay more to get it as lifetime. But that was in the past and does matter much now

Yes the original one was 1m for lifetime, ,seems like a reasonable deal now

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

I read somewhere to be eligible for the Thai Elite Card you have to own at least 1 million baht in properties in Thailand to even be considered. Is that true?

That is not true.

You just pay 500k baht for a five year membership.

You can also get a 30 year membership for 2 million baht that has a lot of perks. You also have to pay 20k baht fee every year.

When the program first started it was 1 million baht for a 20 year

Wasn't the original program 1M for a LIFETIME membership (and visa)?

Only 20 years come to mind but there may of been an option to pay more to get it as lifetime. But that was in the past and does matter much now

Yes the original one was 1m for lifetime, ,seems like a reasonable deal now

That's what I recall too...and even cheaper considering the exchange rates back then...coulda...woulda...shoulda!

Better late than never? smile.png

I arrived in BKK 3 weeks ago, and so far the TE visa (called Privilege Entry in the passport) has worked pretty much as advertised.

I was met at the airplane gate by a TE representative who took me to a cart and drove me to the "special" immigration area where the "important people" go through.

There I waited just a few minutes for them to process my 5 year visa and put it in my passport.

They had informed me in advance that because of the current Thailand situation that only I (no guests) am allowed to pass through that immigration line, but I travel with my own security and so we decided to just try anyway and they allowed them through as well with a smile.

We passed through immigration, went to a smelly "VIP" room where I had a coffee while they brought my luggage.

I informed them that I had changed my destination and that we have a lot of luggage, and they very quickly sorted out additional transport (for free) and updated the driver on the new directions.

All in all I think I spent about 30 minutes at the airport from the moment the plane arrived at the gate until I was in the car.

The only issue I've had is that I went to open an account at Bangkok Bank, and the visa in the passport is called PE (Privilege Entry), but I believe it used to be called SE (Special Entry).

So in the rules the bank has there is no mention of PE, only SE, and hence they actually at first (after me waiting for almost an hour while they made countless phone calls) refused to open me an account.

I insisted that SE and PE are the same and eventually one of the workers (at the Sukhumvit 11 branch) called a friend who works at immigration who confirmed that I was correct.

Actually TE can assist with opening a bank account at Bangkok Bank but it felt like such a basic thing that I didn't bother calling them about it.

So well, that's my very limited experience just from landing and opening a bank account.

Bangkok Bank sucks...open accounts with Siam Commercial, Kasikorn, or Bank Ayudha (or all of them big spender). :)

I arrived in BKK 3 weeks ago, and so far the TE visa (called Privilege Entry in the passport) has worked pretty much as advertised.

I was met at the airplane gate by a TE representative who took me to a cart and drove me to the "special" immigration area where the "important people" go through.

There I waited just a few minutes for them to process my 5 year visa and put it in my passport.

They had informed me in advance that because of the current Thailand situation that only I (no guests) am allowed to pass through that immigration line, but I travel with my own security and so we decided to just try anyway and they allowed them through as well with a smile.

We passed through immigration, went to a smelly "VIP" room where I had a coffee while they brought my luggage.

I informed them that I had changed my destination and that we have a lot of luggage, and they very quickly sorted out additional transport (for free) and updated the driver on the new directions.

All in all I think I spent about 30 minutes at the airport from the moment the plane arrived at the gate until I was in the car.

The only issue I've had is that I went to open an account at Bangkok Bank, and the visa in the passport is called PE (Privilege Entry), but I believe it used to be called SE (Special Entry).

So in the rules the bank has there is no mention of PE, only SE, and hence they actually at first (after me waiting for almost an hour while they made countless phone calls) refused to open me an account.

I insisted that SE and PE are the same and eventually one of the workers (at the Sukhumvit 11 branch) called a friend who works at immigration who confirmed that I was correct.

Actually TE can assist with opening a bank account at Bangkok Bank but it felt like such a basic thing that I didn't bother calling them about it.

So well, that's my very limited experience just from landing and opening a bank account.

Hi OP,

Thank you for sharing your experience as promised. I have always wanted to try taking the cart in the airport. Fun huh?;)

Good day to you!:)

what a bullshit, thai law is valid for all the same, the can not ask people who are married to a thai and have kids here to show money and other people would get a granted Visa.

this card is a memebrship card, but you still need to qualify like all other people,

it is not a VISA, go to an embassy, nobodys know it, go to your local imigration, the dont know it

The embassy in my home country know about it. They sent my some info about it 3 months ago

• Like 1

thanks for the info. i will be arriving in bkk in september for the first time with my elite card, i am travelling

with someone. when they met you at the gate it was no problem for your partner to join you through immigration?

rick

stanley78

i think you can also open a foreign currency account with the same bangkok bank

if i remember you can choose as many currencies as you wish the usdollar can open minimum 250$ euros etc a few thousand

cant remember if its just the hq branch in silom that they will make the appoinment

Edited by humbug

Friended at Facebook the guy who is handling my application. Last night he tells me this past week they received unusually high number of applications for easy access 500k THB card. Wonder if this thread has anything to do with it rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gif

Edited by CroBiker

Friended at Facebook the guy who is handling my application. Last night he tells me this past week they received unusually high number of applications for easy access 500k THB card. Wonder if this thread has anything to do with it rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gif

There was a large advert in one of the Bangkok English Language newspapers about a week ago.

I'm not surprised they're getting a large number of applications. If Easy Access was available a year ago I would have signed up then, either it wasn't available or I just didn't know about it.

It probably has something to do with everyone starting to consider Thailand Elite as a serious option since we hear about the crackdown on visa exempt entries.

A friend of mine, banker in Singapore, comes to his (very big) house in Phuket very regularly.

He does not need a visa because he never stay long in Thailand, and he is totally the opposite of a visa runner when it comes to lifestyle.

But he also sent an application to Thailand Elite, to stay on the "comfortable side".

• Like 1

It probably has something to do with everyone starting to consider Thailand Elite as a serious option since we hear about the crackdown on visa exempt entries.

A friend of mine, banker in Singapore, comes to his (very big) house in Phuket very regularly.

He does not need a visa because he never stay long in Thailand, and he is totally the opposite of a visa runner when it comes to lifestyle.

But he also sent an application to Thailand Elite, to stay on the "comfortable side".

A little bit overkill don't you think? If the fella is a business executive from Singapore with a villa in Phuket he should have no problem entering on visa-exempt entries, especially as he's an ASEAN national. I'm sure being a big-shot, he might also avail himself of the express meet and greet immigration services, if he doesn't already fly business or first class, so either of those services would surely get him across the finish line without a 500k outlay. If he's that cavalier with money, I'm glad he's not my banker.

I can see the PE visa making sense in some circumstances but this doesn't seem one of them.

A little bit overkill don't you think? If the fella is a business executive from Singapore with a villa in Phuket he should have no problem entering on visa-exempt entries, especially as he's an ASEAN national. I'm sure being a big-shot, he might also avail himself of the express meet and greet immigration services, if he doesn't already fly business or first class, so either of those services would surely get him across the finish line without a 500k outlay. If he's that cavalier with money, I'm glad he's not my banker.

I can see the PE visa making sense in some circumstances but this doesn't seem one of them.

There are quite a few bankers in Singapore who aren't Singaporean citizens thumbsup.gif

That is strange. In Tourist regions of Thailand it is normaly even possible to open an account with a simple tourist visa. Especially BB advertises to foreign customers with "Whether you have just stepped off the plane or have already settled in Thailand, there are many advantages in opening an account with a local bank."

I looked for the PE Visa on the Immigration websites, but can't find anything about it. Before i would spent so much money just for visa i would like to read something about it directly from Goverment/Immigration. Like we can see in these days, in Thailand things granted could easily revoke, like the babylon beachclub in phuket. Sure these guys had also some gurantees before that everything is ok and they can build their, before they spent millions of baht to built the club, but if the information not come directly from the Goverment (not the local goverment, i mean directly from Bangkok) it could maybe change one time easily.

Edited by AsienExpat

That is strange. In Tourist regions of Thailand it is normaly even possible to open an account with a simple tourist visa. Especially BB advertises to foreign customers with "Whether you have just stepped off the plane or have already settled in Thailand, there are many advantages in opening an account with a local bank."

Saving accounts can also be opened on visa exempt entry. However each bank and branch decides independently.

Saving accounts can also be opened on visa exempt entry. However each bank and branch decides independently.

This is not true. The rule is you need a parmit to open an bank account, simple as that. That some people have a bank account without having a visa, is the exception to the rule, not the other way around.

stanley78

i think you can also open a foreign currency account with the same bangkok bank

if i remember you can choose as many currencies as you wish the usdollar can open minimum 250$ euros etc a few thousand

cant remember if its just the hq branch in silom that they will make the appoinment

You are right, I asked about it at Sukhumvit 11 and they told me only some "main" branches can do it (EUR, USD etc.). It's on my to do list. smile.png

But they said I can just bring my bank book for my THB account and they'll sort it out.

That is strange. In Tourist regions of Thailand it is normaly even possible to open an account with a simple tourist visa.

The foreigner in front of me in line at the bank opened an account, but just with an ATM card and without online banking. That took about 10 minutes all in all.

I'm gonna assume he was on a tourist visa or exempt stamp.

thanks for the info. i will be arriving in bkk in september for the first time with my elite card, i am travelling

with someone. when they met you at the gate it was no problem for your partner to join you through immigration?

rick

As I said, TE told me in advance that only holders were allowed to pass through the "special" immigration. But I figured (correctly) that they wouldn't make a fuss about it.

There was no one else passing through that area at all other than a few airline staff for the short while I was there so it wasn't really an inconvenience for them to let everyone through.

Actually they even put separate TE staff with my guys when passing through.

This is not true. The rule is you need a parmit to open an bank account, simple as that. That some people have a bank account without having a visa, is the exception to the rule, not the other way around.

Which rule? Post here an official reference. You won't be able, because there is no such rule.

If you want to know the full story, before the Asian crisis of 1997 was very easy for foreigners to open bank accounts and even get unsecured credit. Many defaulted. Since then most banks want more documentation indicating one is stable in Thailand.

Edited by paz