How to get an international Thai Driving License

Alfa

Hi, I've heard that anybody can send an application with their 2 photos, copy of passport, a doctor certificate from a clinic, copy of your foreign international driving license, 2000 THB and a registered address paper from immigration office BY POST to BANGKOK. And you get your International Driving License after few days by post. Can it be true ? I wonder if it is legal ? Have you heard that ? Has anybody bought a Driving License this way or tried and lost 2000 THB ???????

If this is offered by someone it is NOT a legitimate license.

Thailand will issue an International Driver's Permit (IDP) if you have a Thai Driver's License. It must be the 5 year license. The IDP is only valid when used with the Thai license. Same with any other license i.e. if you have a UK license you would only be able to get a IDP from the UK.

Lots of fake licenses are advertised on the internet and elsewhere.

• Like 2

Thank you SOUTPEEL. I have all the answers. To get an IDP , I need 2 PP photos, copy of PP, 500 THB and a full 5 year Thai DL. I can get it at any Traffic Department . But IDP is only valid for 12 months. It's good when I go to Europe for visit, there I can use it when I rent a car. Thanks a lot to Everybody. Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you SOUTPEEL. I have all the answers. To get an IDP , I need 2 PP photos, copy of PP, 500 THB and a full 5 year Thai DL. I can get it at any Traffic Department . But IDP is only valid for 12 months. It's good when I go to Europe for visit, there I can use it when I rent a car. Thanks a lot to Everybody. Cheers.

Don't know about the rest of Europe but I always use my Thai 5-year drivers licence when renting a car in the Uk - no problems at all.

I am British and have a Uk drivers licence - but Uk licences are not valid once you take up residence in another country.

In the US you can get international license from any AAA club. I have a us license and get my international license while in Saudi. Have been checked numerous times in Issan and never a problem with it.

You can use your Thai driving licence to rent a car in Europe. You don't need a IDP. Any licence from any country can be used as long as it has your details in English.

This post does not make sense.

Where in Bangkok????

If u already have an international driving license, why have another, no such thing as a international thai driving license

Are you referring to terminology or that an IDP is not available to the Thais.

You can use your Thai driving licence to rent a car in Europe. You don't need a IDP. Any licence from any country can be used as long as it has your details in English.

Each to his own experience. I used to rent cars regularly in Malta and Tenerife and always had to back up my UK licence with the IDP.

Where in Bangkok????

If u already have an international driving license, why have another, no such thing as a international thai driving license

Who said they have an IDP and want a second one?.....Where did you see that?

Personally I think the IDP is a scam cooked up national auto clubs. In the US it is fairly reasonableto get one from the AAA but it has been years since I've had a valid US license so I need to revert to the MAA in Mexico where the cost is around $60 for a year - outrageous! - I just went to Wiki to look it up and found this interesting note:

The 1968 convention (original)

The Convention on Road Traffic has been ratified by 72 countries. Examples of countries that have not ratified the Convention include Chile, China (Republic of China), Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, the Holy See, Indonesia, Ireland,Iraq, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Venezuela.

I just rented a car at Swampy today for a month - showed my MEX lic and was off in a flash. A few years ago a Highway Patrol Cop with white gloves in Issan asked for my IDP and whatever I mumbled was sufficient to say I didn't need one and he dropped the issue.

Basically an IDP is a translated overwrite of your local license and accepted as such in signatory countries. The languages its printed version translates to - if my memory is correct- is 5 none of which are Thai.

If the OP has a hope that getting/using an IDP in lieu of a valid DL and to serve as such I'd adivse caveat emptor

I do not think for one minute that my native country, Sweden, is better than any other countries in Europe, but one thing is for sure:

A Thai Driving licence is NOT approved for a change to a Swedish licence. Every Thai who reside in Sweden has to go to driving school.

And - by the way - my 5 y Thai licence is NOT valid for driving in Sweden as long as I am still in the social system in Sweden. I must have

- completly - moved out of the country to make myselt able to drive on a Thai licence in my home country.

And - I do not know , but belive - the rules of the European Union should be about the same in all countries ??

hi in reply to your comment re international driving permit if its to be used but not in the Asean group of countries then yes follow advise from other posts

but if its for only Asean countries then a Thai smart driving permit will be all you need cost 600 bahts valid for 5 years but covers driving in all countries in the group but also remember if its using your own private car then you will need to get a cover note of insurance for your car so be sure to carry the cars documents for entering laos,malaysia,singapore,myanmar , etc hong kong is also on the list as is main land china as now with right visa's you can drive to china all the way to kunming border crossing and into china from thailand even drive up from singapore to kunming what a trip that would be .

cheers from a smart permit holder

I think the OP is useing the word "international" twice... and its a bit confusing...

YES you can get a Thai drivers license:

As long as you have:

1) International Drivers License from your country.

2) Corresponding DL from your locality/State

3) Doctors Certificate

4) Residential Certificate from your Embassy

Whatever the cost is now and walk on in to the DL place Uhhh 2 stations after On NutI believe....

1st one is 1 year

then you get the 5year after that

I do not think for one minute that my native country, Sweden, is better than any other countries in Europe, but one thing is for sure:

A Thai Driving licence is NOT approved for a change to a Swedish licence. Every Thai who reside in Sweden has to go to driving school.

And - by the way - my 5 y Thai licence is NOT valid for driving in Sweden as long as I am still in the social system in Sweden. I must have

- completly - moved out of the country to make myselt able to drive on a Thai licence in my home country.

And - I do not know , but belive - the rules of the European Union should be about the same in all countries ??

especially when Turkey gets in. 5555

Where in Bangkok????

There is an International license that can be had if you have a 5 year Thai license.Valid for 3 months.

I think the OP is useing the word "international" twice... and its a bit confusing...

As long as you have:

3) Doctors Certificate

Whatever the cost is now and walk on in to the DL place Uhhh 2 stations after On NutI believe....

1st one is 1 year

Isnt the Resi Cert from your local immi office.I certainly didnt go to my Embassy,would rather slash my wrists.

As long as you have:

3) Doctors Certificate

1st one is 1 year

Isnt the Resi Cert from your local immi office.I certainly didnt go to my Embassy,would rather slash my wrists.

Me too. $50 from the Canadian embassy. However, if you live in the Chang Wattana immigration district, you have to have at least one 90-day address report before they give you that 200-300 baht cert of res. Otherwise, you pay big money to your embassy. Here in Jomtien country, it's no problem. 300 baht for 15-20 minutes service.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp