Canadian is new Australian Honorary Consul in Phuket

Lite Beer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked if her style will be as confrontational as Mr Cunningham, whose reputation was such that police would sometimes ask that a person with a problem not call him, and whose name alone, if mentioned, would often make extortionists back off, she said, No, not at all. Thats definitely not my style.

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I would guess so as she has been appointed by the Thai Government

"been waiting for Thai government approval of her appointment"

I would say she is a yes woman for Thai officials and won't go in and fight to hard for Aussies and will favour Thais.

Quite unfair Chook,the proof will be in the pudding.Given your previous job,i thought you would know she is innocent until proven otherwise.I rekon she is quite brave taking on Ozzys and their problems,who will want to see a real Australian.Also she will lose work,because i cant see how she can recommend herself for legal advice.

• Like 2

I am stunned! I have nothing against this Canadian woman, she is no doubt a decent person but WHY would the Australian Government appoint a CANADIAN, or indeed anyone other than an AUSTRALIAN to this position?

Surely there MUST be some suitable Australian in Phuket! Are all the Aussies in Phuket, drunken sleazebags or something?

Nar,too smart.

Why would any fine upstanding Ozzie want to get mixed up with the 2 week millionairs with no travel insurance.This is the reason i havent been to Bali for decades.

• Like 2

I wonder what would happen if some drunken Australian, who has been banged up, insists on Diplomatic assistance from an Australian, not a Canadian, which is probably a fair request.

I rekon the drunken Ozzy would be outa luck.I think they are sober by the time they get to the Consul.Maybe just a Changover,they can last for days.

As an Aussie I have absolutely no problem with a well-qualified Canadian holding this position.

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves.

ps: nobody actually says "sheila" or "cobber" these days.

In my travels i have found Canadians very enjoyable people along with Scandy's.They are the closest to us in many respects,including humour.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Asked if her style will be as confrontational as Mr Cunningham, whose reputation was such that police would sometimes ask that a person with a problem not call him, and whose name alone, if mentioned, would often make extortionists back off, she said, No, not at all. Thats definitely not my style.

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists? cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

I would say she is a yes woman for Thai officials and won't go in and fight to hard for Aussies and will favour Thais.

Quite unfair Chook,the proof will be in the pudding.Given your previous job,i thought you would know she is innocent until proven otherwise.I rekon she is quite brave taking on Ozzys and their problems,who will want to see a real Australian.Also she will lose work,because i cant see how she can recommend herself for legal advice.

So what's a Real Australian ?....a Lebo? a Greek? a Pom? or maybe an Abo?

So what is her style? A soft approach to the extortionists? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

you pretty much said the same as I said in two previous poststhumbsup.gif

I have been posting with just a touch of sarcasim

Why the job is not paid? I don't get it.

It's an honorary position.

I read somewhere there is a small renumeration attached to the position.

Yes, from memory there's something like $5000 for office expenses or similar. Not a salary.

I read somewhere there is a small renumeration attached to the position.

It's usually called a stipend

In the job advertisement they called it - honorarium and allowance for incidental expenses

The vacancy advert:

The Australian Embassy Bangkok invites applications for the position of Australia’s Honorary Consul, based in Phuket, with consular responsibility for the provinces of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

On behalf of the Australian Embassy, Bangkok, the Honorary Consul will:

- Provide consular assistance to Australians in relation to their welfare, whereabouts, arrest, imprisonment, repatriation, hospitalisation, evacuation or death,

- Provide passport services to Australians, and;

- Provide other services as set out in the selection criteria.

Qualification

- Should be an Australian citizen, although non-Australians who meet all other selection criteria will be considered;

- Should be a long term resident of Phuket and intend to reside in Phuket for at least a further two years;

- Should have good interpersonal skills, good judgement and a strong ability to deal sensitively with Australian citizens in need and to handle personal information with care and discretion.

- Should have sufficient time to perform the functions listed above and in the selection criteria.

- Should have a good standing in, access to and influence with the political, bureaucratic, commercial and media community of Phuket, Krabi and Phang Nga.

- Should possess office accommodation of an appropriate standard and location for the representation of Australia's interests with English-speaking support staff.

- Be of independent means so that the applicant is not financially dependent on the honorarium and allowance for incidental expenses provided by the Australian Government;

- Should meet the other criteria specified in the selection criteria.

Applications close at 4.30 PM, Wednesday, 18 September 2013.

Well they do get an honororaium...about $9000 a year. It dates from the days where travelers were rare and well placed citizens of a country who were based in other countries volunteered to represent the king in the area which resulted in an increase in their prestige and in the past this would have placed them into a circle of influence where their business would be enhanced. Of course now any enhancement of business is corruption.

If the banged up Aussie wants to see a dinky-di Consular assistant he'll just have to wait until the MIB transport him to the Bangkok Hilton.

Good choice by a drunken, jingoistic mysogynist.

There are some qualified Aussies here - none I know would touch the job with a barge pole.

I hope Larry is well and truly " on the relax ".

Onyah Michelle - now I wont have to travel to Bangkok in a wheelchair for my pension certification (I hope!).

If the banged up Aussie wants to see a dinky-di Consular assistant he'll just have to wait until the MIB transport him to the Bangkok Hilton.

Good choice by a drunken, jingoistic mysogynist.

There are some qualified Aussies here - none I know would touch the job with a barge pole.

I hope Larry is well and truly " on the relax ".

Onyah Michelle - now I wont have to travel to Bangkok in a wheelchair for my pension certification (I hope!).

Not sure of that. Recently there was an advertisment for a thai Consular Assistant for Consular Visits to jails. Personally I think that it is important that the contact in times of stress as many Consular matters are should be with a peson of your own country who understands the culture and does not get affected by what he sees as face issues.

In this case as long as it McGuiver and he brings the stuff to help to escape it does not matter.

At least the lady in question has some grounding in Australian life as she did study in Australia albeit at one of the few Private Universities.