Going to Thailand with my Girlfriend

iExpat

Hello,

We are me and my girlfriend looking foward to go to live to thailand for some years at least. We love phucket and any place where you can find beach. The problem is that we saw at numbeo.com that cost of living in phucket or patong beach is more expensive than in Chiang mai for example.

Lets talk about us:

We own a online business and make money from it.

We get around 2000$ to 3000$ per month

We dont need luxury, we want to live good but not in a 2000$ apartment.

We are less than 21 years old.

Where are the best places to go to eat good and live good with that money. We work every day so we would go out maybe for a beer or some food after work every day or at least three times per week.

Any ideas of what would be good for us?

What is better? Staying on a residence hotel or renting a house?

Any good places to reccomend or websites to check out? I usually check Phucket Rent House but it seems very turistic prices.

Thank you,

iExpat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reccomend recommend that you don't mess around on here, there's homework to be finished for school tomorrow.wink.png

Im sorry for the spelling mistake.

Im not native

Lets see if you can speak my language.

Good luck.

You'll never know

Good luck with your grades.

And another delusional, blue-eyed kid ("less than 21 years old") who thinks that all he has to do is flying into Thailand - probably on a visa-on-arrival - and can live happily near palm-fringed beaches and bathe in tropical bliss "for some years at least" without ever having to hammer out a concrete plan taking into considerations the numerous restrictions foreigners - particularly ones who intend to work! - have to deal with.

How about a work permit? Given any thought to that? You (and your girlfriend) CANNOT work in Thailand without a proper work permit, even if you run an online business. It's illegal.

How about your visa arrangements? Thailand is becoming very strict with regards to foreigners who just come to stay "for some years at least" without holding appropriate long-term visas or extensions of stay.

How about health insurance? Anything in mind yet?

While $ 2,000 to 3,000 per month may be very sufficient for two people even when they stay in Phuket (Phucket???), it all depends on how you define "eat good and live good".

Why don't you do quite a bit more research on your own, devise a concrete plan, and then return to TV and present it for comments, feedback and suggestions? Give us some beef to chew on, not just a thing broth with no meat in it!

But no, instead you just want to go the easy way, present a rather vague and rudimentary idea and expect that forum members will go to great lengths doing all the hard work for you and lay out a plan that might (or might not) be agreeable with you.

The magic word is "Internet". With some time effort, there you can find exhausting information on all types of accommodation, price ranges, locations, restaurants, general living cost, attractions, environments, official regulations and requirements for potential Thailand residents, and much, much more.

• Like 2

Thailand is a great visit. To be honest, read up a little more on destinations in Thailand. Phuket is a shit hole. So is Phi Phi... Just tourist traps. Up north has a different flavour but no beaches. Try Koh Lanta or Koh Chang. Nice places. You'll find somewhere to stay within your budget easily. If you are bringing your girlfriend, don' t bother with Pattaya. Lots of girlfriends there.

Have a fun trip.

Edited by Canada
  • Like 1

Oh. I misunderstood your post. You want to LIVE here. Ohhhhhh.

You can probably do what you are thinking, but I wouldn't talk about out much on this forum. Working is illegal here without a work permit. Any kind of work, it does't matter.

VISA. Make a plan about a VISA. There are options, but not many. Both of you can get "learning Thai language" based visas (Education Visa) through a language school. That will limit your choices of where to stay. You could get married pretty easy to a Thai girl and get a "marriage" based visa. It'd be a headache, but could be done if your gf would let you. She could probably snag a thai guy too and do the same. Seriously, Visa problems will be your biggest problems like everyone else's here. Don't forget medical insurance. Good luck.

I reccomend recommend that you don't mess around on here, there's homework to be finished for school tomorrow.wink.png

Im sorry for the spelling mistake.

Im not native

Lets see if you can speak my language.

Good luck.

LOL .....good come back ! Besides, nobody really cares about spelling....if they do, they are just nit picking.

Yes, you can do it easily.....and have a good time to boot. You are in my budget range, and I have a gal as well.

Pay by the month for lodgings...not daily or weekly...

7000-10000 for an apartelle. Krabi had a good one for 6000 last year (in town, not on the beach)

A lot of old guys on here - that alone breeds some jealousy as they have already shown.

OP: I came here when I was 22 (working for an International Company), being here at such an age is different to being here when older.

The older guys won't understand that, I'm sure they'll have their opinions regardless.

Regarding work: Yes, you would be illegal if working an earning here. However, an online business is somewhat of a grey area in terms of the fact that its pretty impossible to get caught. Just keep quiet about your work.

Money: You should have enough to subside in relative comfort.

Make sure you have proper medical insurance. Do your best to learn Thai when you get here.

Getting a reasonable visa is probably your main concern: You should be able to get a 6 month tourist Visa prior to your arrival. That will see you get your feet on the ground and learn what other options there are for you.

Others have commented on Phuket: But thats purely a personal choice, there are other lovely areas of Thailand which may also interest you. Different from Phuket which is not really representative of Thailand, but it does have great beaches.

• Like 2

$$$ - no problem (I live in CNX). Phuket - no idea - 50% more expensive (see web). CNX is VERY cheap. In fact, there are many posts on the web re the low cost of living in CNX. Things to do in CNX - see web.

Visa - do your research - visa runs etc - not a preferred option.

House v condo. For a young couple, I would select a condo - location, security, transport, convenience to everything.

Come to CNX for 1 month - if you don't like the joint - move on - easy! Why limit yourself to Thailand - Malaysia, Philippines etc.

Visa is everything!

Hi there young ones. Stay away from Puket it is the Pitts for crime etc, Pattaya about the same but plenty day and night life nice beaches few ks out, also Cho Chang is very nice place an island close to Cambodia you can do a good deal for long stay. I would say some of the best beaches in Thailand, Nice place people nice prices ok quite few bars and entertaining clubs. Plenty other islands around it.

Good luck.

Bringing a girl to Thailand is like bringing sand to the beach.

You might look into getting a education Visa to study Thai. That should allow you to stay in the country a year with minimal effort as to actually studying anything.

As to renting a place, there are plenty of places that rent for 12-15k baht a month in Phuket. Skip Patong and check out the beaches north and south of it. The only way to do it is to come here and find a guest house to live at so you can look around for a place to live.

Good luck.

• Like 1